Too much panic

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ablueclaret
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Too much panic

Post by ablueclaret » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 pm

If we need anybody its another striker, of course Snodgrass signing would in a sense provide that in an obtuse sort of way, and probably he is the only player being mentioned who is likely to fit in easily to the side, but if we can't get him I wouldn't be worrying overmuch it's the players we have who will see us through. As Wenger wisely says, at this time of year it's rare that players fit in and make a difference, a few do and they're usually strikers but most disrupt rather than improve.
So for me not signing anyone other than Barton will be unlikely to have a profound effect on our destiny this year. There is sufficient talent within this squad to see us through.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure IAmAClaret

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Re: Too much panic

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 pm

WTF?! Has ABC had a "road to Damascus" moment?!

No need to ask who smote you down... Sean Dyche is the Saviour ;)

gogogadgetlegs
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by gogogadgetlegs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 am

Obtuse cock you have there abc, you are dull and blunt

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 am

;)

https://youtu.be/nR0lOtdvqyg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 am

Spookily The Smiths' " Panic " mentions Humberside...

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 am

I see some have gone into full brown underpants mode today, which for me is properly hilarious.

Although it's taken a bit longer than I thought it would this time.

What will be, will be. It'll all come out in t' wash.
This user liked this post: BennyD

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:41 am

That's the good thing about brown underpants. You can put them in the wash.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:46 am

It was put in on purpose, nowt 'random' about it. ;)

CrispyClaret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by CrispyClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 am

ablueclaret wrote:If we need anybody its another striker, of course Snodgrass signing would in a sense provide that in an obtuse sort of way, and probably he is the only player being mentioned who is likely to fit in easily to the side, but if we can't get him I wouldn't be worrying overmuch it's the players we have who will see us through. As Wenger wisely says, at this time of year it's rare that players fit in and make a difference, a few do and they're usually strikers but most disrupt rather than improve.
So for me not signing anyone other than Barton will be unlikely to have a profound effect on our destiny this year. There is sufficient talent within this squad to see us through.
Make up our mind please. You started a thread saying we need McParland back to recruit new players and yet you say we don't need new players in this post, particularly in the January transfer window.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:42 am

I hope we don't sign Snodgrass, Brady or the Polish wing wizard, Heaton can go to Liverpool and they can pay us when they are ready and Keane can go to Man Utd and they can have 40% of the buying price as a sell on clause loop hole will no doubt emerge at the last minute. Dean Marney is out for 3 years and Joseph Barton gets a 5 year ban from Corals oh and football as well. Andre Gray is found to have more tweets from when he was 12 years old and is also banned for 2 years. Ashley Barnes tackle at Chelsea has been re reviewed and proven that he also needs a 10 match ban. Flannagan at the last minute is recalled by Klippety Klopp to save Liverpools season and new Burnley Captain Michael Duff promoted from the youth team calls for calm! If some of my reverse logic doesn't work.............well I have renewed my season ticket for next year anyway UTC ;)

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 am

Probably why Theresa May chose brown leather trousers.

She will need them during Brexit talks. :lol:

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:52 am

McParland recruited good young players with potential on small fees now we are wheeling and dealing for lower end Premier League players at extortionate prices.

Although SD has had large squads by Burnley standards in reality he has made them into small ones and this fits his agenda better.

Recruitment by and large was best done in the summer but with the tendency for deals to be done late on January signings have become more important but largely to bed the players in for next season.
What we have now will see us through or falter, I think they've shown they have enough.
If I was signing anyone it would be a centre-half and striker because those are the positions we might be depleted in come next season.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:56 am

It's nothing to do with panic, it's to do with getting players in who are available and will improve us. If we have good intel that Brady is moving in January, we need to be doing our best to get him through the door. Not because he's any old winger, but because he's a great fit for the squad and starting 11. If the right players aren't available, fine. We wait.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 am

I'd agree that Sndgrass might have an immediate effect on our game and therefore might be worth pushing the boat out for, but it is a relatively short term fix and in my opinion not the direction this club should be heading in.We need to identify and recruit young talent with ambition, to be weighed down with expensive wage heavy players is the way to disaster.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 am

I agree on Snodgrass, but what about Brady at 24/25 years of age? Alot of money yes, but it would be great to tick off a wide position now with proven quality, bed him in over half s season and have him there for the next. Rather than two weeks before kick off in the following season, and no guarantee you'll get anyone of the same quality.
Our stock is high being mid table, it's worth something I think to potential signings over potential rivals who's immediate future is less certain

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am

ablueclaret wrote:I'd agree that Sndgrass might have an immediate effect on our game and therefore might be worth pushing the boat out for, but it is a relatively short term fix and in my opinion not the direction this club should be heading in.We need to identify and recruit young talent with ambition, to be weighed down with expensive wage heavy players is the way to disaster.
So we can't recruit players to help us stay in the PL for the immediate short term whilst ALSO looking for younger players?

Do you actually understand how football works?

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 am

As I said Snodgrass is the player who might have an immediate impact and therefore might be justified on such grounds but a plethora of expensive players who would add little to the squad and produce a wage heavy club is not the model I would like to see us pursue.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am

Que sera sera, whatever will be will be!

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am

No one's suggesting a 'plethora' of expensive players you idiot.

Out of interest, are you aware that the cost of players has increased in many cases due to the Sky money?
Yes there are bargains to be found as we've proven, but sometimes we may just need to cough up the money if it's the player Dyche wants.

You're sat here whining about signing players, about not signing players, about signing older players, the need to sign younger players instead, you've got another post on the go wanting Mcparland back......
Make your sodding mind up.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

My fear is that we recruit a lot of decent but not outstanding players at inflated prices and wages and make ourselves hostages to economic fortune, some clubs can ride out such times this one cannot.
We have to develop recruitment of young players at sensible prices and wages and promote them, adopting the pathway of the well off is tempting but fraught with danger, we would be better of keeping the squad tight and effective.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:33 am

That's what we've done, we've paid sensible fees and wages, despite your objections in the recent past about some of them.

I understand your point about not falling into the trap that other clubs have done, signing bang average players on stupid wages for stupid fees, but if you'd been paying attention you'd notice the club are trying their best to stick within a budget despite the protestations of people on here.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

The philosophy was buy players with add on value at present we're looking to pay top end prices for players whose value is likely to diminish there has been a change in philosophy brought about by our inability to identify young talent in the lower leagues and develop their skills.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

No, we are looking to sign players who will improve the squad and for the short term future help keep the club in the PL.
It's about looking at both long and short term options.

As for an inability to identify and develop players from the lower leagues, I must've missed the lads we've got out on loan from the development squad, afterall you're pushing to get one of them on the bench instead of Bamford.
Agyei isn't it?
So you've shot yourself in the foot here, because we've got lads from the lower leagues signed into our development squad who're out on loan playing and gaining valuable experience.

Now we've established that, what's the issue with signing older players to fill the gaps whilst the young lads are out on loan?

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 am

If we stay in the premier league surely we can fudge off this "selling" club malarky!? We needed to do it in years gone by due to not having a big income source the premier league surely provides that IF the club is managed responsibly.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:58 am

I'm afraid the chances of staying in the Premier League without a well developed youth agenda which delivers are very small for a club like ours although identifying youngsters at other clubs is probably our best way forward and for a brief moment whilst McParland was here appeared the accepted philosophy.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 am

I'm sure the board aren't panicking, the only panic is on here

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:00 pm

The trouble is these youngsters never make the step up and I'm not totally convinced its because they lack the skills.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

ablueclaret wrote:I'm afraid the chances of staying in the Premier League without a well developed youth agenda which delivers are very small for a club like ours although identifying youngsters at other clubs is probably our best way forward and for a brief moment whilst McParland was here appeared the accepted philosophy.
Ok this is getting boring now.

Lets look at the facts shall we -

The club has invested a lot of money in the youth set up, from rebuilding Gawthorpe, to finding better staff, to getting more youth players in.

These changes will take time to kick in and for systems to start working.

The damage was done to the youth set up during Howe's era, but even before that it didn't churn out players in great numbers and there seemed to be a determination to hold on to certain players, who when released, haven't gone on to better things.

You're sat here banging on about our chances of staying in the PL somehow being reliant on a well developed youth agenda, but if you look at one of the best youth systems in the PL thats outside of the top 6 clubs, Southampton don't rely on just youth players to see them through.

It's about the whole set up, from recruiting experienced players right down to the academy set up.

Burnley are updating the whole set up and it needs time to work, something you're not interested in considering, you want a youth set up that works NOW, but sorry sunshine, it isn't going to happen.

If that lot doesn't sink in then there isn't much point in carrying this on really, because it just shows how little you understand things.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

It's not a question of panic.
It's a question of improving the team and bringing in players who can make a difference.
In a situation where we have a very good chance of staying up.
Yes, we've done well so far this season and could well stay up.
But we're not safe, far from it.
There's no guarantees I suppose even if we did manage to bring in those identified
(Snodgrass and Brady) but, I for one, would think our chances of staying up are greatly improved
if we had got them in.

Now we're left hoping we don't get any injuries to key players and can manage to get
one or two away wins at Hull, Swansea, Boro, Sunderland and Palace to help ensure we do stay up.
And if we do (stay up) we'll have probably made a serious amount of profit.

You have to learn quickly in the Premier League to survive.
Not something we can say we have done so far and certainly not in respect to
the transfer market and our dealings within it.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm not expecting any players coming through our youth set-up I think the powers that be realised that and decided to bring in young talent from other clubs, that is the way forward.

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Are you attending tomorrow ablue ? Is it the ciderheads that are another favourite of yours or is it a different club.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

ablueclaret wrote:I'm not expecting any players coming through our youth set-up I think the powers that be realised that and decided to bring in young talent from other clubs, that is the way forward.
So what are you effing moaning about?

The club is bringing in youth players, they've invested in the set up to modernise it, they're loaning the lads out to a good level where they can and they're also looking at investing in the first team to help keep us in the PL.

What issue can you possibly have with all of that?

Apart from the fact we haven't been playing defenders out of position of course...

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Do not panic as in this transfer window we have the ability financially to sign at least one £10 - £15 Million pound player, we also have one loan spot we can fill. I would be very happy to see us doing both and the priority is a central midfielder now we are down to Defour, Hendrick and Barton. We have Arfield and Tarks who can both cover CM when push comes to shove but it would be better to have a more recognised player and maybe BHA hold the key?

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:53 pm

A striker more important for me, an injury to Gray and we might just sink.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I agree, we don't need anyone to gain another 10 points.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

No need to panic, more important things to worry about, like finding a new word for vagina.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... 4/38749364

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:01 pm

MrTopTier wrote:No need to panic, more important things to worry about, like finding a new word for vagina.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... 4/38749364
Wenger.
These 2 users liked this post: MrTopTier leedsdave

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 pm

ABC taking a more scatter gun approach to trying to get a point of view correct.

Cheer up Blue, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1558 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Why be so bloomin negative and find problems, time to count blessings and crack on.

ablueclaret

Post by ablueclaret » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 pm

No player is better than a misfit.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 pm

You're a misfit.