Diesel vehicle scrappage scheme proposal - would you trade in/up?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Diesel vehicle scrappage scheme proposal - would you trade in/up?

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Now the government have realised that previous governments have made an error in pushing people to buy diesels, they're possibly proposing a scrappage scheme for vehicles over a certain age.
They're looking to get rid of Diesel cars completely by 2030 according to the article.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... count-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I'm all for this idea, I'd even consider either a hybrid motor or fully electric, although I don't think the missus is ready yet.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Re: Diesel vehicle scrappage scheme proposal - would you trade in/up?

Post by bob-the-scutter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I don`t think it was a mistake, they knew full well what they were doing at the time.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I do a decent amount of miles per week to work (circa 350) and to run a petrol would cost a fortune.

Granted modern petrol engined cars are a lot more efficient than my current 2006 Merc diesel, but I would still buy another diesel given the choice. I like the diesel clatter, the effortless torque and not least the 40% better fuel efficiency over the equivalent petrol engine.

I wouldn't say no to a diesel electric hybrid or a Tesla though. In fact I would prefer to be less polluting, however the cost of such vehicles is the stumbling block.
This user liked this post: Sonic

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:55 pm

I would do it for the full amount providing I don't have to be lectured on what to buy.

I can't see me getting £8500 from the Government anytime soon though so won't get too excited.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3195 times
Has Liked: 1875 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Surely you will have had to have owned the vehicle for a certain period beforehand otherwise what's to stop people buying an old banger for £250 and trading that in

Rowls
Been Liked: 5103 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Now the government have realised that previous governments have made an error in pushing people to buy diesels, they're possibly proposing a scrappage scheme for vehicles over a certain age.
If you've got a diesel car you'd have to be crazy not to cash in on a scheme like this. These kind of schemes are always cash cows.

If anyone out there is currently in the process of selling a diesel car then I would advise you to stop immediately and wait to see if any scheme is announced. There are probably thousands of crooks and dealerships (I am not correlating the two BTW) who are desperate now to snap up as many cheap diesels as possible so as to cash in in case a scheme starts.
Last edited by Rowls on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:08 pm

My car's 15 years old and only cost £4k when I bought it, more than 10 years ago. Is it worth converting it to diesel and getting £8.5k for it? :twisted:

HollandsPies
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by HollandsPies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:09 pm

My diesel car:
Catalytic converter
DPF filter
Uses ULSD
Euro 5 compliant
Low pressure turbo
EGR valve

I could go on and on. How can any modern diesel be 'dirty'?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Rowls wrote:There are probably thousands of crooks and dealerships (I am not correlating the two BTW) who are desperate now to snap up as many cheap diesels as possible so as to cash in case a scheme starts.
With the last one they did in this country you had to prove you'd owned the car for x amount of years, I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 years.

They'll probably do the same again.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

HollandsPies wrote:My diesel car:
Catalytic converter
DPF filter
Uses ULSD
Euro 5 compliant
Low pressure turbo
EGR valve

I could go on and on. How can any modern diesel be 'dirty'?
The DPF doesn't work properly, I've mentioned it before on here.
It's only good for motor way journeys and even that's debatable.
Dealerships sell you the motors but don't tell you that continuous short journey usage leaves you at high risk of the DPF blocking up due to the regeneration process not being able to start/finish.
Most of the industry are aware it's rubbish, but they don't announce anything officially because it would cost them a fortune.

People also keep buying and adding the wrong oil to their engines, which in turns creates a soot that the DPF can't get rid of, thus making the problem worse.
You'd be amazed at the amount of people who still think it's ok to use 10w40 oil in their modern cars....

Rowls
Been Liked: 5103 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Sidney1st wrote:With the last one they did in this country you had to prove you'd owned the car for x amount of years, I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 years.
They'll probably do the same again.
I'm sure that will stop the crooks dead in their tracks Sidney [end sarcasm] ;)

But really, it's all the more reason to buy a diesel sooner rather than later.

If this is true then shame on the people planning the scheme. These sort of things should be announced out of the blue to try to stop people playing the system (which will happen anyway).
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Plenty of diesels in France, Rowls.
Bet the locals wouldn't take too kindly to their Government pulling this stunt?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:28 pm

HollandsPies wrote:Plenty of diesels in France, Rowls.
Bet the locals wouldn't take too kindly to their Government pulling this stunt?
They've already done it if you read the article

HollandsPies

Post by HollandsPies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm

100,000 cars isn't that much when you see some of the bangers they drive round in. It'll kick off when it's compulsory

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I like having a powerful diesel and will keep it as long as I can. In fact I've just bought a 2015 BM 335D X-drive which will out perform most other cars, yet still get over 50 mpg on a run in Eco Pro. I see no need to get rid for a long, long time.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Politics - ********

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

All very well in trying to force the Joe public into getting rid of their diesels but what about the hauliers and locomotives? Aeroplanes aswell as kerosene is basically diesel without certain lubrication properties.

I'm aware that there are trucks in America which use big block V8 petrol units ( the Dodge Viper engine is from a truck ) but they pay peanuts compared to us for fuel. Petrol engines don't have the instant torque of a turbo diesel either.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:36 pm

So, everyone wants to keep driving their diesels unless the tax payer gives them some money to change? You all know, I guess, that the reason diesel is lower cost than petrol is because the tax is tiled in diesel's favour.

I bought a new car last summer - another petrol engine. OK, my mileage is low these days, but even if it wasn't I think it is my responsibility to choose whether I add to pollution or not.

I wouldn't give any diesel owners money to scrap - just increase the fuel duty - and make sure the engine is really compliant with the pollution standards rather than VW cheats. In London there are also additional charges for parking diesels (permits, I'm not sure if parking meters are so clever just yet) and higher congestion charge.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Russia has just sailed it's aircraft carrier up and down the channel puffing more out than Ivor the engine.......

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:27 am

Diesel responsible for pollution?- governments having us on, it's simply softening us up so they can hike duty again and get away with it plus it might help bribe Nissan to stay on

Anyone who drives a lot and keeps a car for 10 years would be insane not to have a diesel

If we're that bothered about pollution stop cancelling bus services, reduce train fares, reopen old routes, get a bicycle

If the scheme fits your circumstances then Take the free money but don't for one minute think you and the government are helping the environment

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:31 am

The Tod curve being the one weird glorious exception that proves my point

Whoever managed to get that through in Whitehall deserves a medal but they've probably been executed for treason against the capital now

Caballo
Been Liked: 425 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:21 am

Paul Waine wrote:So, everyone wants to keep driving their diesels unless the tax payer gives them some money to change? You all know, I guess, that the reason diesel is lower cost than petrol is because the tax is tiled in diesel's favour.

I bought a new car last summer - another petrol engine. OK, my mileage is low these days, but even if it wasn't I think it is my responsibility to choose whether I add to pollution or not.

I wouldn't give any diesel owners money to scrap - just increase the fuel duty - and make sure the engine is really compliant with the pollution standards rather than VW cheats. In London there are also additional charges for parking diesels (permits, I'm not sure if parking meters are so clever just yet) and higher congestion charge.
Don't wish to burst your sanctimonious bubble but diesel is more expensive than unleaded. Could I ask as to why you didn't go electric? Low mileage and an overbearing sense of superiority, you sound like an ideal candidate.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Paul Waine

Re: Dieeveryone to switchsel vehicle scrappage scheme proposal - would you trade in/up?

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Caballo, sorry, I'm still a "petrol head."

Yes, I know all about fuel prices at the pump - spent all my career in that sector. But, UK gov't lowered the tax on diesel to encourage everyone to switch to diesel. That was another of Blair/Brown mistakes.

I want a car that will do long journeys when I need to do long journeys. 250 miles each way for me to get up to t'Turf.

I'd have a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle today if there was some good model choices and there was a full network of hydrogen re-fuelling stations.

I don't go with the "nanny state" idea - I prefer to make my own decisions and not be "bribed" by other taxpayers money to do what someone else wants. And, of course, it's even less desirable when the bribe is the gov't's wrong decision.
This user liked this post: Caballo

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Seen in today's Times that Sadiq Khan plans to bring in a "toxicity charge" in London, £10/day to take a car, both diesel and petrol, that was registered before 2006 into London congestion charge zone.

Alongside this news Times headline is "Air pollution on busy roads as bad as passive smoking 10 a day." According to the article, diesel is a big contributor to air pollution.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Couple of issues with London.

Taxi drivers can apparently only choose from one of small number vehicles to use.
I know this from chatting to an editor for Cat Mag who're running an article on vehicles in London.

These options will be diesels chuffing out loads of harmful emissions, but the authorities in London don't seem willing to expand the options or offer incentives.

Where I live in Didcot the main local taxi firm use the Toyota Prius for 95% for their taxis and pride themselves on being a greener firm, hence their name Go Green.

2nd London has to many buses, lorries and vans running around, again all diesels.

You could make a large number of the buses run on an alternative fuel, they've got one in Reading that's fuelled by animal waste for example.

Vans could be replaced with electric or greener variants for the fast multi drops.

Lorries - hubs could be set up outside of London and a large % of items could be switched over to greener vehicles.
Obviously some things have to go on a lorry, but there would be far less in London by this point.

Changes in these areas would help.

Saxoman
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm

I can't afford a new car.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Could I ask as to why you didn't go electric?

Plugging a car into charge every 5 minutes is not going to help is it, more smoke coming out of the power station and the national grid falling over

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5094 times
Has Liked: 6919 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Just texted details of my rather cherished but clapped out old diesel to webuyanycar,com and the cheeky b@st@rds just texted me back and said "if you think we are buying Arfield you can Feck off. "

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:28 am

Sidney1st wrote:Couple of issues with London.

Taxi drivers can apparently only choose from one of small number vehicles to use.
I know this from chatting to an editor for Cat Mag who're running an article on vehicles in London.

These options will be diesels chuffing out loads of harmful emissions, but the authorities in London don't seem willing to expand the options or offer incentives.

Where I live in Didcot the main local taxi firm use the Toyota Prius for 95% for their taxis and pride themselves on being a greener firm, hence their name Go Green.

2nd London has to many buses, lorries and vans running around, again all diesels.

You could make a large number of the buses run on an alternative fuel, they've got one in Reading that's fuelled by animal waste for example.

Vans could be replaced with electric or greener variants for the fast multi drops.

Lorries - hubs could be set up outside of London and a large % of items could be switched over to greener vehicles.
Obviously some things have to go on a lorry, but there would be far less in London by this point.

Changes in these areas would help.
Hi Sidney,

re London taxis - I understand there are plans to make them all "environmentally clean" vehicles in near term. I'm not up to speed with the details. I guess it starts with all new taxis needing to be hybrid/electric or fuel cell, perhaps by 2020. Perhaps also requirement to take all old taxis off the road.

A number of London busses are already hybrids and fuel cell driven. The old diesels are disappearing.

London also operates a "clean air zone" for large vehicles. I think it applies to all vehicles over a certain size. I don't know whether it is just another tax on entering the zone or whether particularly dirty vehicles are banned.

Still a lot of work to be done to clean up London's diesel pollution. It started when Boris Johnson was mayor. Sadiq Khan has made it one of his key policies as mayor.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:40 am

Times this morning reporting the opening of the first public hydrogen re-fuelling station - a Shell petrol station in Surrey.

Apparently, there are 15 existing places to re-fuel hydrogen fuel cell vehicles at present. All the others are on non-public land, mainly used by buses and similar. One operates at National Physical Laboratory in Teddington (Barnes Wallis "bouncing bomb" was also developed in labs there). I understand NPL is testing hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

There are only 2 hydrogen fuel cell engined cars at present. One is a Hyundai.

The only emissions from hydrogen fuel cell is water. Of course, it's how you make the hydrogen that determines the full environmental benefits.