BBC stars' pay to be revealed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

BBC stars' pay to be revealed

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40633241

The media seem to be focussing more on the fact that only a third of the top earners are female. Surely this is a result of viewers preference and viewing figures - if viewers enjoy a programme they will continue to watch irrelevant of the gender. I don't think its a result of gender inequality - more ''this person suits the role better than this person''.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: BBC stars' pay to be revealed

Post by CleggHall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 am

Few people at the BBC will earn as much as Kieran Trippier, reported in the Daily Mail that he is on £70,000 per week, nice work if you can get it!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 am

I don't think its a result of gender inequality - more ''this person suits the role better than this person''.[/quote]

Using what criteria?

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:I don't think its a result of gender inequality - more ''this person suits the role better than this person''.
Using what criteria?[/quote]

Examples - A male presenter such as Andrew Marr / Paxman would be better at grilling an MP than a female presenter. A female presenter would be more suited to presenting a daytime chat show. These are just my views

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am

The outdated idea that if you have a television that has the ability to receive a particular broadcasters output means you're forced to pay a levy with the threat of a fine or potentially, imprisonment, is ridiculous.

It's 2017 we're in the digital age. We're in the subscription age.

The cry from the kept in clover, cosetted luvies at the Biased Broadcasting Company, is that they pay rates that reflect "the market and competition."

Fair enough, then let the "market and competition" decide. Scrap the tv tax (licence fee) which has a disproportionate effect on the poor. The BBC gets 4.5 BILLION pounds PER YEAR. If the BBC wants to pay show biz wages fine. But let them pay the show biz wages from money that is NOT derived from coercion of already hard pressed tax payers.
This user liked this post: NewForestClaret

HelloHiGoodbye
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am

[/quote{Examples - A male presenter such as Andrew Marr / Paxman would be better at grilling an MP than a female presenter. A female presenter would be more suited to presenting a daytime chat show. These are just my views[/quote]

Is it 1973?
Last edited by HelloHiGoodbye on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Greenmile

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1637 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am

Kay Burley and Sophy Ridge just as capable as Marr and Paxman

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 am

But we don't know how much Kay Burley or Sophie Ridge are paid by Sky, that's the point!

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:The outdated idea that if you have a television that has the ability to receive a particular broadcasters output means you're forced to pay a levy with the threat of a fine or potentially, imprisonment, is ridiculous.

The cry from the kept in clover, cosetted luvies at the Biased Broadcasting Company, is that they pay rates that reflect "the market and competition."

Fair enough, then let the "market and competition" decide. Scrap the tv tax (licence fee) which has a disproportionate effect on the poor. The BBC gets 4.5 BILLION pounds PER YEAR. If the BBC wants to pay show biz wages fine. But let them pay the show biz wages from money that is NOT derived from coercion of already hard pressed tax payers.
They don't pay "show biz wages" though. That's the point.

£2.70 a week for BBC1, 2, 3, 4, News, Worldwide, Radio 1, 1Xtra, 2, 3, 4, 5Live, 6Music, red button services and iPlayer. (Sure I've missed some.) It's an absolute bargain.
Last edited by HelloHiGoodbye on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 5 users liked this post: CardyTheClaret longsidepies Greenmile Siddo Stalbansclaret

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:The outdated idea that if you have a television that has the ability to receive a particular broadcasters output means you're forced to pay a levy with the threat of a fine or potentially, imprisonment, is ridiculous.

If anyone can't afford £12.12 per month to watch TV then they need to readjust their priorities.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 am

Sutton-Claret wrote:Using what criteria?
Examples - A male presenter such as Andrew Marr / Paxman would be better at grilling an MP than a female presenter. A female presenter would be more suited to presenting a daytime chat show. These are just my views[/quote]

Oops!

claretdom
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by claretdom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:They don't pay "show biz wages" though. That's the point.

£2.70 a week for BBC1, 2, 3, 4, News, Worldwide, Radio 1, 1Xtra, 2, 3, 4, 5Live, 6Music, red button services and iPlayer. (Sure I've missed some.) It's an absolute bargain.

To some it probably is a bargain but the question is should it be forced on people if they don't want it. Some will say SKY is good value but if people don't want to pay for it they don't have to. The stories you read of them threatening people with prison don't show them in a very good light for a service people have no option in their eyes but to pay for if you want it or not.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:10 am

Remember that most of the people complaining about this will be people who are either competitors or who like their news in a Daily Mail format.
These 2 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye Stalbansclaret

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:10 am

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Kay Burley and Sophy Ridge just as capable as Marr and Paxman
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Kay Burley
Last edited by lucs86 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 am

If people don't want to watch the BBC then they're a cretin. The type of cretin who is more than happy to pay Sky £50 a month to watch Duck Dynasty, no doubt.
These 2 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye Burnley Ace

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am

claretdom wrote:To some it probably is a bargain but the question is should it be forced on people if they don't want it. Some will say SKY is good value but if people don't want to pay for it they don't have to. The stories you read of them threatening people with prison don't show them in a very good light for a service people have no option in their eyes but to pay for if you want it or not.
It's £2 a week for a vastly larger service without any adverts. (And you're not paying Murdoch.) SKY is £18 a week for what? News, Sky 1, Sports and er the Discovery Channel and maybe a channel exclusively about sheds in between the religious channels?

Similar to the NHS, the BBC is respected around the world - recognised as a leader in what it does. It's output is extraordinary. There's no company like it. And yet if some people had their way, there'd be no BBC or NHS.
These 3 users liked this post: lucs86 longsidepies Stalbansclaret

claretdom

Post by claretdom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:It's £2 a week for a vastly larger service without any adverts. (And you're not paying Murdoch.) SKY is £18 a week for what? News, Sky 1, Sports and er the Discovery Channel and maybe a channel exclusively about sheds in between the religious channels?

Similar to the NHS, the BBC is respected around the world - recognised as a leader in what it does. It's output is extraordinary. There's no company like it. And yet if some people had their way, there'd be no BBC or NHS.

Again the same point stands, if you believe in your product you are telling people they need to pay for shouldn't it be an option rather than compulsory.
I don't get the attitude directed towards SKY by people who are happy to accept the money from them for the football club to operate at a higher level but then try to portray them as a bad company when defending the BBC. It isn't a competition between them both.

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

claretdom wrote:Again the same point stands, if you believe in your product you are telling people they need to pay for shouldn't it be an option rather than compulsory.
I don't get the attitude directed towards SKY by people who are happy to accept the money from them for the football club to operate at a higher level but then try to portray them as a bad company when defending the BBC. It isn't a competition between them both.
Er- you brought up SKY.

The BBC's one of the jewels in the UK's crown. And people talk about a lack of industry in the UK...

claretdom

Post by claretdom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:Er- you brought up SKY.

The BBC's one of the jewels in the UK's crown. And people talk about a lack of industry in the UK...

I used SKY as that is another broadcaster who charges I could have said BT or Virgin they all charge but it you don't want them you don't have to have them. Still no answer as to why it can't or shouldn't be optional.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am

Would you opt not to receive the BBC dom?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Remember that most of the people complaining about this will be people who are either competitors or who like their news in a Daily Mail format.

People who like their news in a daily mail format, pay for it. If you don't want it in a daily mail format, you don't have to pay for it.

You HAVE to pay for the BBC even if you don't want it. You HAVE to pay for the BBC simply because to have a t.v.!!!!

It's an anathema. It's wrong. Its outdated. It belongs in the 1950s. In a digital and subscription age, it's simply unfair and unjustifiable.

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:People who like their news in a daily mail format, pay for it. If you don't want it in a daily mail format, you don't have to pay for it.

You HAVE to pay for the BBC even if you don't want it. You HAVE to pay for the BBC simply because to have a t.v.!!!!

It's an anathema. It's wrong. Its outdated. It belongs in the 1950s. In a digital and subscription age, it's simply unfair and unjustifiable.
If you buy the Daily Mail you buying a right wing perspective of the world. It's important to have impartiality. The BBC is as impartial at it gets - you'll disagree because I'm familiar with your posts on here. (You'll say they're all left wing and ignore Laura Kuenssberg and the fact Farage is on every other Question Time.)

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:

It's an anathema. It's wrong. Its outdated. It belongs in the 1950s, it's simply unfair and unjustifiable.
A lot like you then Dingo
These 2 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye longsidepies

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am

claretdom wrote:I used SKY as that is another broadcaster who charges I could have said BT or Virgin they all charge but it you don't want them you don't have to have them. Still no answer as to why it can't or shouldn't be optional.
If it was optional, one of the best services worldwide would decline. Simple as that. Inundated with adverts, shrunken coverage...

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:If people don't want to watch the BBC then they're a cretin. The type of cretin who is more than happy to pay Sky £50 a month to watch Duck Dynasty, no doubt.
That's a pretty ferocious defence of the Beeb UptheBeehole. I find it hard to find anything I'm interested on BBC - there are good dramas here and there; eg 'Ripper Street' and 'In the Dark'. But the sport coverage is pitiful other than TMS on the radio.
There is so much choice now I wouldn't miss the BBC TV at all and, in my opinion, I'm not a cretin.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:They don't pay "show biz wages" though. That's the point.

Johnathen Ross - 6,000,000 pa !!!!!!

Claudia Winkleman - 500,000 for presenting Strictly come dancing!!!!!?

Graham Norton - 2,500,000 pa !!!!

NOT show biz wages!?

Are you having a laugh!? :lol: :lol:

If there such an "absolute bargain" then let competition and the market decide. Scrap the unjust license fee and see If, in your view, the people are willing to pay for their services, without the threat of a thousand quid fine hanging over them!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am

One thing that proves that the BBC is impartial is that its hated by everybody who doesn't like being criticised.

You clearly like your news Ringo to reflect your view of the world. Thats fine, but dangerous (in my opinion).

Twitter today - stuff I follow attacking the BBC salaries

- Guido Fawkes (who makes you look left wing Ringo)

- All daily Mail columnists, including the one who looked genuinely shocked at getting laughed at on QT the other week

- Piers Morgan

- Scottish Nationalists

- Corbynistas

*worth mentioning as well Andy Goldstein (talksport presenter) defending them as well, so its not all competitors
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
These 2 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye Foshiznik

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:You HAVE to pay for the BBC even if you don't want it. You HAVE to pay for the BBC simply because to have a t.v.!!!!
you don't.

you have to have a tv licence to watch any tv channel, including satellite/subscription channels.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 am

Cryssys wrote:A lot like you then Dingo
Some classic playing the man , not the ball there mate.

You're not Kevin Ball are you!? ;)

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Johnathen Ross - 6,000,000 pa !!!!!!

NOT show biz wages!?

If there such an "absolute bargain" then let competition and the market decide. Scrap the unjust license fee and see If, in your view, the people are willing to pay for their services, without the threat of a thousand quid fine hanging over them!
Yes - they are vast sums but they aren't show biz wages. They're smaller wages than Channel Four, ITV, SKY, Netflix... Shall I go on?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 am

Worth mentioning that I don't think the license fee is a good idea, but overall the BBC does a good job, and a lot of its culture/history stuff wouldn't get made unless it was non-advertiser funded.

And, crucially, its less than the amounts being handed out to commercial tv stars
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:50 am

A lot of the criticism - I feel - comes from people perceiving "being on tv" and making TV as an easy thing to do. It's not and it isn't. Gary Lineker is the best at what he does. Graham Norton - again, the best at what he does. Both could earn more elsewhere. But they don't. They work for the BBC because those initials mean something.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Greenmile

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:50 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Johnathen Ross - 6,000,000 pa !!!!!!

NOT show biz wages!?

Ant & Dec earn £29.5m between them per year.
This user liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am

The BBC should be self funded by adverts like ITV.

The programs are the same length just the BBC advertises it's own products/shows rather than outside companies.
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney tiger76

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 am

quoonbeatz wrote:you don't.

you have to have a tv licence to watch any tv channel, including satellite/subscription channels.

Taken from the official tv licensing website -

Over 90% of the licence fee is spent on BBC TV channels, radio stations, BBC iPlayer and online services.

The costs of administering the TV Licence are less than you might think. For every £1 taken in licence fee payments, just 3p is spent on collection.

Part of the fee also contributes to the UK broadband rollout, funding local TV channels and S4C, the Welsh language TV channel, as was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.

In 2016 the Government announced that the licence fee would rise in line with inflation for five years from 1 April 2017. A standard TV Licence now costs £147.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:Ant & Dec earn £29.5m between them per year.
And your point is!?

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:And your point is!?
That's a showbiz wage.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:A lot of the criticism - I feel - comes from people perceiving "being on tv" and making TV as an easy thing to do. It's not and it isn't. Gary Lineker is the best at what he does. Graham Norton - again, the best at what he does. Both could earn more elsewhere. But they don't. They work for the BBC because those initials mean something.
BBC

Bloated

Biased

Corrupt

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

No wonder garry Lineker can afford to be a champagne socialist on 1.79m a year!

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:57 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:BBC

Bloated

Biased

Corrupt
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE! SO clever!

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:That's a showbiz wage.
Absolutely

And not a single penny is derived from already hard pressed people forced to pay for it by compulsion.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

Gary Lineker on £1.79m a year, or Jeremy Clarkson on £10m a year

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

Well, what a shock

Both Ringo and Andy think the BBC is bad idea.

More proof that its doing a good job.
These 4 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye longsidepies evensteadiereddie Greenmile

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:Yes - they are vast sums but they aren't show biz wages. They're smaller wages than Channel Four, ITV, SKY, Netflix... Shall I go on?
Hard up families pay nothing to channel 4 ITV SKY and Netflix. If they choose not to.

With the BBC they have ZERO choice.

Don't bother going on fella.....

HelloHiGoodbye

Post by HelloHiGoodbye » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Absolutely

And not a single penny is derived from already hard pressed people forced to pay for it by compulsion.
I've said previously why it's important the BBC continues as it is. I'm not going round in circles. You want the world to be one long Daily Mail front page, I get it. Cool.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 am

This unholy alliance between really rich people who own anti-BBC media outlets and people who have a grudge against everything and anything that isn't what they want it to be is really quite scary.

Every thought for a moment Ringo that very rich people are using you?
These 3 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye Stalbansclaret hampsteadclaret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:Taken from the official tv licensing website -

Over 90% of the licence fee is spent on BBC TV channels, radio stations, BBC iPlayer and online services.

The costs of administering the TV Licence are less than you might think. For every £1 taken in licence fee payments, just 3p is spent on collection.

Part of the fee also contributes to the UK broadband rollout, funding local TV channels and S4C, the Welsh language TV channel, as was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.

In 2016 the Government announced that the licence fee would rise in line with inflation for five years from 1 April 2017. A standard TV Licence now costs £147.
ah so you're bothered about how the licence fee is spent, not that there is one.

as i said, you'd still need to pay it even if you just had sky.

what about all those people who can't afford sky, bt, netflix, etc? should they just not be allowed to watch telly? bit selfish that isn't it?

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:A lot of the criticism - I feel - comes from people perceiving "being on tv" and making TV as an easy thing to do. It's not and it isn't. Gary Lineker is the best at what he does. Graham Norton - again, the best at what he does. Both could earn more elsewhere. But they don't. They work for the BBC because those initials mean something.
You had the upper hand until this HelloHiGoodbye. Gary Lineker isn't a patch on Jeff Stelling in fact he isn't the best on MOTD. And what exactly does Graham Norton do?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:06 am

HelloHiGoodbye wrote:If you buy the Daily Mail you buying a right wing perspective of the world. It's important to have impartiality. The BBC is as impartial at it gets - you'll disagree because I'm familiar with your posts on here. (You'll say they're all left wing and ignore Laura Kuenssberg and the fact Farage is on every other Question Time.)
"It's important to have impartiality"

In my opinion, it's more important to have CHOICE.

With the BBC you don't have CHOICE. You have a thousand quid fine if you don't cough up for it's "impartiality!" :lol: :lol:

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 am

The BBC's approach to wages is like Burnley's in the Premier League.

They only have a certain amount coming in, so pay what they can to the best talent available within that price range.

They may pay Gary Lineker £1.79m or whatever it is, in the same way BFC pays Robbie Brady around £35k a week.

ITV pay Ant & Dec £30m a year, in the same way Man Utd pay Pogba and Lukaku an absolute sh1tload.

Amazon pay Jeremy Clarkson £10m in the same way Man City pay Aguero £220k a week or whatever.

Internationally, Oprah Winfrey earns £63m a year, in the same way Messi earns £550k a week.

As you can see, the wages paid to BBC stars are minuscule compared to the market they're in. Stop ******* fussing over nothing.
These 4 users liked this post: HelloHiGoodbye CardyTheClaret Falcon hampsteadclaret