Are we at the tv money era peak?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Are we at the tv money era peak?

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:00 pm

We are seeing some extortionate fees in the market and it seems we say this every transfer window. Sky are obviously worried about the online streaming of games and have tried making changes this summer in an effort to combat it but with it being so difficult to do, would you say that the current tv rights deal will be the peak of the prize money before a decline? We seem to say every year the bubble has to burst but the last 5 years especially have been beyond ridiculous.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Re: Are we at the tv money era peak?

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:06 pm

I hope it bursts in the next couple of years to be honest because currently it's ridiculous. City in particular are spending at levels that even they can't see as sustainable.

Ironically, if the Board continues to manage the club as they currently do we could do nicely out of a financial collapse. There's won't be many clubs with cash in the bank like we have!!
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:09 pm

It has to hit a plateau at some point. Many clubs without a benefactor will be in serious trouble. There isn't unlimited demand for Sky Sports and U.K. Subscriptions are declining.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2941 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:16 pm

I think TV is in a similar situation that music was 10 - 15 years ago.
Swimming against the tide and, the current TV deal is probably the high water mark.
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Domestic growth is slowing down but foreign interest continues to grow each year.

Gnulty
Been Liked: 179 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Gnulty » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Hopefully yes! UTC! 8-)

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2015 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Daniel Levy is one man who isn't willing to bet the ranch, despite Spurs ambitions. Others are starting to opt out too Bayern Munich have let it go on around them and cash in... so the signs are there that even at the very top people are getting nervous now. China has made a stand with the 100% tax on foreign transfers. It will continue for a year or two yet but I think we are reaching a turning point and long overdue in my opinion. As the billionaires lose interest there are going to be a few fire sales, and even clubs going to the wall. It happened big time in Italy a few years ago it would be foolish for people to keep thinking it couldn't happen here.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm

The idea that a number of bigger clubs will go bust is fanciful at best. All that will happen is a similar scenario to Bolton - go into administration, drop down a couple of leagues, spend a season or two down there and return to the higher divisions.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Spijed wrote:The idea that a number of bigger clubs will go bust is fanciful at best. All that will happen is a similar scenario to Bolton - go into administration, drop down a couple of leagues, spend a season or two down there and return to the higher divisions.
I agree the big clubs will get through it with a fight, but the ripple effect will destroy clubs down the ladder. With downturns its always the minnows who suffer most.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 pm

With a strong governing bodies in charge such as FIFA AND UEFA, I'm surprised something hasn't been done :?

It's blatantly nearing a level where something needs to be done to protect the game from itself. A worldwide salary and transfer cap would be a decent start - it's probably only being avoided because of how difficult it might be to administrate.

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Yea the TV money will end one day but the internet will take over. Google/YouTube or Facebook will take up the rights to live games in a few years giving you options to stream any match you want for a fee

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I agree the big clubs will get through it with a fight, but the ripple effect will destroy clubs down the ladder. With downturns its always the minnows who suffer most.
Not at all true.

When we were in the Championship we did not become poorer because Portsmouth went bust.

Burton are not in financial trouble because Bolton are skint.

Badly run bigger clubs who fail present an opportunity for small clubs to overtake them.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Rowls wrote:Not at all true.

When we were in the Championship we did not become poorer because Portsmouth went bust.

Burton are not in financial trouble because Bolton are skint.

Badly run bigger clubs who fail present an opportunity for small clubs to overtake them.
I would agree with the caveat WELL RUN small clubs.... of which there are a few. Obviously fans become a factor too in a turn down, smaller clubs will not be able to overtake the big clubs purely because they don't have the footfall of the established giants.... but I'll give you the gulf will narrow for a time.

The argument you make is like saying Poundland didn't go bust because Woolies went bust. True but if they didn't react to the underlying change in economic circumstances they could well have done.

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 pm

The top clubs aren't really in need of sky money. They're bankrolled by billionaires now, just look at the overseas clubs that have moved that way too.

ExistentialWanderer
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:57 pm

It's an interesting debate. As stated above. There are so many clubs bank rolled by billionaire's these days. The overseas market pretty much pays for it as well. It's huge! Is it sustainable? It doesn't show any sign of slowing down. Is it morally right? Or fair on clubs? That's another debate.
As long as there is a football club to support, fans will pay to watch it. You could argue fans who actually pay to attend account for next to nothing of the revenue generated, such is the allure. It's a catch 22 for a fan I guess. I think most of us think it's gone crazy but we'll still turn up and watch. I guess, if I liken it to a Movie star, I can deal with it better. That being. They are multi millionaires and don't give me 1% of the pleasure and/or pain a footballer can give me in a few seconds and I keep coming back for more. Maybe fans are just sado masochists by nature?!

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 pm

ExistentialWanderer wrote:It's an interesting debate. As stated above. There are so many clubs bank rolled by billionaire's these days. The overseas market pretty much pays for it as well. It's huge! Is it sustainable? It doesn't show any sign of slowing down. Is it morally right? Or fair on clubs? That's another debate.
As long as there is a football club to support, fans will pay to watch it. You could argue fans who actually pay to attend account for next to nothing of the revenue generated, such is the allure. It's a catch 22 for a fan I guess. I think most of us think it's gone crazy but we'll still turn up and watch. I guess, if I liken it to a Movie star, I can deal with it better. That being. They are multi millionaires and don't give me 1% of the pleasure and/or pain a footballer can give me in a few seconds and I keep coming back for more. Maybe fans are just sado masochists by nature?!
Not sure I 100% agree with you but a very good argument you put across and you could well be right.

ExistentialWanderer

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Not sure I 100% agree with you but a very good argument you put across and you could well be right.
I don't know one way or the other to be honest. I just think that as long as a product has a market, it'll gain massive sponsorship deals. The Premier League and football in general, particularly in Europe is a global phenomenon. I guess the point I make is the traditional love of football and that tribal aspect. We support our club through thick and thin (well some of us do, KRBFC/abluclaret) and regardless of result we still go. If you see a crap movie by your favourite actor. You're likely to at least reconsider watching his/her next one. I hope that makes sense?! In my head it does. :lol:

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:47 pm

I suppose we could just look across the Atlantic as to how football will go as global branding. Not for us traditionalists but very likely "the product" will become more important than the traditional club.

ExistentialWanderer

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I suppose we could just look across the Atlantic as to how football will go as global branding. Not for us traditionalists but very likely "the product" will become more important than the traditional club.
I know it's happened with MK Franchise and you could argue Arsenal (Woolwich to north London)l. But let's hope not....

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm

I was with Sky from the early days and paid £80 a month until my aerial blew off course. So yes, it has peaked!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I blame Jimmy Hill

ExistentialWanderer

Post by ExistentialWanderer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I blame Jimmy Hill
My Dad blamed Jimmy Hill, but then he had a dislike of many people. My youth was shaped by his disdain for pretty much everyone and I had to find out for myself that most people actually are alright :lol:

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Football TV money is a little like religious evangelicals. It will seek out it's own level until no stone is unturned. Does Sky have a contract in Botswana yet?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Clubs have always spent big money. There's just more zeros on the end these days.