Searching for a word - help required

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Searching for a word - help required

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 am

Whenever you have to complete a job that comprises different tasks there are two basic ways of completing the job.

Let's take the example of making sandwiches: Say you have a job to make 10 sandwiches.

You can make up each sandwich one at a time. You take one slice of bread, butter it, put in the fillings, top off with the second slice of bread, cut the sandwich and then you repeat this a further 9 times until you have 10 sandwiches. There is a word for this kind of method.

You make up 10 sandwiches all at the same time. Lay out 10 slices of bread. Butter all the slices, Add the fillings to all the sandwiches. Top them all off. Cut them all. There is another word for this kind of method.

I can't think of the words which describe the different methods.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Rowls

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Re: Searching for a word - help required

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 am

sequential or consecutive for the first method; in parallel or batched for second
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Rowls

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 am

Prehistoric and Assembly line ??
This user liked this post: Rowls

Goddy
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 694 times

Post by Goddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:05 am

Inefficient
Efficient

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:08 am

Serial and parallel.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks guys!

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by COYC73 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 am

Multitasking

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 am

I need to know.

What was the answer?

If you don't tell me, I'll "throw a Saxo" and write shoite all over your Board :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am

All the first four answers were helpful.

"Prehistoric and Assembly Line" are actually just examples of the words (not the words themselves) but they certainly help illustrate the point.

Inefficient and efficient are, likewise, qualitative descriptions of the two methods rather than definitions but they're comparatively accurate so I like that and welcome the response.

Other than that all of the words are accurate enough in definition to fit what I was asking for.

My favourites are serial/parallel and sequential/parallel but sequential/serial/consecutive and parallel/batched are all correct.

For the record - I wasn't "testing" here I genuinely couldn't bring the words to mind. They're one of the concepts I understand but always forget the names.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 am

I'm off now to compose a group email to my colleagues to explain the concept of working in parallel and tell them that they must do so whenever possible.

If I catch any of them completing tasks serially or sequentially they will suffer the boredom of me explaining it to the in person. :)
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller RalphCoatesComb

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am

piece work ?

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 am

pureclaret wrote:piece work ?
Yes.

Many people do say I am a 'piece of work' but to Hell with them. I don't care.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:49 am

Rowls wrote:I understand but always forget the names.
That's called AGE Brian.

Brian? Who's Brian?

Nurse ! My Medication !!!

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 am

The word is OM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lGKnIbNbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 am

Funkydrummer wrote:The word is OM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lGKnIbNbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In piece work one person would butter the first slice and a second would apply the filling, a third person would butter the second slice, a fourth person would apply the second slice and a fifth person would cut the sandwich in half as required depending on customer requirements ie diagonally or transversely. If the requirement was for the sandwich to be quartered a 5th person would be required. If the crusts were to be left intact then no-one else would be required but if the crusts were to be removed then one extra person per crust would be required and the process modified accordingly.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Chobulous wrote:In piece work one person would butter the first slice and a second would apply the filling, a third person would butter the second slice, a fourth person would apply the second slice and a fifth person would cut the sandwich in half as required depending on customer requirements ie diagonally or transversely. If the requirement was for the sandwich to be quartered a 5th person would be required. If the crusts were to be left intact then no-one else would be required but if the crusts were to be removed then one extra person per crust would be required and the process modified accordingly.
Hahaha!

Just reminded of me of the last time I had to stuff envelopes with people.

I insisted on doing it this way and roped the other four in on it too. They were highly skeptical that performing only one fold each and only one person putting into envelopes would work as well but we did it in half the usual time.

I also saved a Housing Association a couple of thousand in wages simply by reorganizing the desk layout of the data entry workers. I nearly doubled productivity. My reward was getting my contract terminated by the manager who wouldn't be able to justify retaining her budget for the following year.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Rowls wrote:Hahaha!

Just reminded of me of the last time I had to stuff envelopes with people.

I insisted on doing it this way and roped the other four in on it too. They were highly skeptical that performing only one fold each and only one person putting into envelopes would work as well but we did it in half the usual time.

I also saved a Housing Association a couple of thousand in wages simply by reorganizing the desk layout of the data entry workers. I nearly doubled productivity. My reward was getting my contract terminated by the manager who wouldn't be able to justify retaining her budget for the following year.
No one likes a smart @rse
:D

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Chobulous wrote:No one likes a smart @rse
:D
Not the only awful experience I had working at a Housing Association either. The other was actually much worse.

I'll never work for a Housing Association again.

If you rent from a Housing Association and want to know if they're doing everything they can to keep costs (and your rent) to a minimum I can tell you that they're probably squandering a lot of (your) money.

If you rent from a Housing Association and want to know why it takes weeks to arrange simple repairs ... it's because of inefficiency, bad management and people who think their sole purpose in their role is to cling onto their job, build an empire and retain an internal budget within the Housing Association.

The job in question (the one I was released from for having the audacity to save them thousands of pounds) was an internal auditing role. We input the internal, inter-departmental bill for repairs onto the computer, another section checked that the work had been processed and then the funds for the bill for the repairs could be transferred from the repairs fund to internal department that carried out the repairs.

Want to know something?

The internal repairs department was then privatized.

We did all of the work to get a years worth of bills "on the system" (that's where I saved ~40% of data entry costs) only for the directors of the Housing Association to cut a deal with the newly privatized repairs company that instead of properly auditing all of their bills they would simply pay them a percentage of their claimed expenses for repairs. I don't know what the percentage agreed was but it stands to reason that the private company were routinely over-charging and were doing so deliberately AND must have been doing so even before the repairs department was privatized. Why would you routinely over-charge for an internal bill within a company?

Apparently the private company who won the contract for the repairs was owned by a relative of one of the directors of the Housing Association.

Make of that what you will. It's all 100% true apart from the rumour about the director being related to the owner of the private company which I can't be sure is true.

So if you rent from a Housing Association and wonder why your rent is so high ... wonder no more.

I will NEVER work for a Housing Association ever again. It disgusted me.

Oh, and my other experience working at a different Housing Association was even worse than that.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm

BTW - you're looking at a contract worth a couple of million of public money combined with people's rent there.