We buy any Philip Schofields . com

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

We buy any Philip Schofields . com

Post by LordBob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

What are these TV and radio ads all about they aren't even funny at least Peter Kays beer ads made you laugh why would Schofield sign up to this, ok cash but surely his reputation takes a dip I'm not sure how We Buy Any Car operate I got a quote off them for sale of my daughters first car I sold it privately for more than twice their offer. Are they a laundry for stolen vehicles or would be HP snatches I don't geddit.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Re: We buy any Philip Schofields . com

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 am

LordBob wrote:What are these TV and radio ads all about they aren't even funny at least Peter Kays beer ads made you laugh why would Schofield sign up to this, ok cash but surely his reputation takes a dip I'm not sure how We Buy Any Car operate I got a quote off them for sale of my daughters first car I sold it privately for more than twice their offer. Are they a laundry for stolen vehicles or would be HP snatches I don't geddit.
They're now owned by BCA, ( British Car Auctions ) and provide a service for those who want to dispose of a car, quickly and safely, in return for a lower price that could potentially be achieved by private sale. They are thoroughly legitimate, once you have had the car inspected and agreed the price you will receive that amount and be able to reclaim any unused tax. The cars are then transported to various BCA sites, and sold at auction.

As you say, you may well be able to sell privately for more, but that will normally involve advertising, valeting, getting it through an MOT & sorting out scratches if you want top dollar. Many people don't want the hassle of strangers coming round, haggling etc. especially if it's having to go for financial reasons or it's a deceased relative's car for example. I worked for them as a Senior Buyer in their early days, and could write a book on some of the experiences I had....write offs, clocked cars, wrongly described cars, threatened by a gang, one customer crashed her car in our car park, two others offered a bribe to " ignore " the damage, marital aids left in the glovebox ...the great British public in all it's glorious variety !! :D
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 am

we buy any car is aimed at people who are devoid of initiative and common sense.

and i think you were aiming a bit high regarding phil schofield's character.
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 am

yTib wrote:we buy any car is aimed at people who are devoid of initiative and common sense.
yTib, I think you'd have been surprised...the bread and butter seemed to be middle class professionals, who'd changed their make of car, ie: from a Vauhall to Ford, VW to BMW etc and we were offering £300-£400 more than they'd been offered as a Part Exchange...

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 am

Clarets4me wrote:yTib, I think you'd have been surprised...the bread and butter seemed to be middle class professionals, who'd changed their make of car, ie: from a Vauhall to Ford, VW to BMW etc and we were offering £300-£400 more than they'd been offered as a Part Exchange...
that is their new line but i suspect their major stream is young drivers with financial difficulties.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

LordBob wrote:What are these TV and radio ads all about they aren't even funny at least Peter Kays beer ads made you laugh why would Schofield sign up to this, ok cash but surely his reputation takes a dip I'm not sure how We Buy Any Car operate I got a quote off them for sale of my daughters first car I sold it privately for more than twice their offer. Are they a laundry for stolen vehicles or would be HP snatches I don't geddit.
Ad agencies trying too hard to be `out there' and funny.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 am

My other half palmed off a shocker of a car onto webuyanycar for about what it would have gone for privately.

I'd be surprised if the guy could even drive it back to his office, it was that knackered.
This user liked this post: Man of Kent

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm

I bet if they were around in the eighties they wouldn't have bought my Austin Allegro :cry:

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 pm

yTib wrote:we buy any car is aimed at people who are devoid of initiative and common sense.
Initiative maybe, but not common sense. If you own an asset worth hundreds or even thousands of pounds, and you aren't a financial whizz who knows exactly what forms of payment are bombproof and what aren't, then an agency like this is a zero-risk way of selling. Private sales tend to carry higher rewards but with a risk attached.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

The advert is embarrassing, brainless and unfathomable. Just like Schofield.

Jimscho
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Jimscho » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

If my son is reading this( he does post on here) I have just sold you.You can probably tell from my username what my surname is.The other Phillip Schofield has 2 letter Ls in his name.

firstclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by firstclaret » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Not content with having him on nearly every program ITV air, we are now subjected to him on the ads as well.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Jimscho wrote:If my son is reading this( he does post on here) I have just sold you.You can probably tell from my username what my surname is.The other Phillip Schofield has 2 letter Ls in his name.
I wonder if you'd have got more selling privately, Jimscho ?? ;)
This user liked this post: Jimscho

RattyClaret
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by RattyClaret » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Jimscho wrote:If my son is reading this( he does post on here) I have just sold you.You can probably tell from my username what my surname is.The other Phillip Schofield has 2 letter Ls in his name.
I hate you Schofield
This user liked this post: Jimscho

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm

As if Philip Schofield isn't on TV enough, without him being mentioned on this latest car ad.... Can't be doing with him !

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

I met a bloke last summer who worked for WBAC and he said that it was his job to meet with people who wanted to sell their cars. He would turn up and find any fault possible on the car, even minor legitimate wear and tear issues, just to beat the price down from the non-binding offers that were first made to the seller to get them interested. He said that most people were by then so desperate to sell (ie skint) that they couldn't be bothered to argue with the dramatically-reduced offer and they reluctantly took the money. He was incentivized to knock as much off that original offer as possible by any means possible. No big surprises there I suppose.