Has anybody decided to lose weight this year?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Re: Has anybody decided to lose weight this year?

Post by Walton » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:23 pm

This is a great article, I think everyone should read this

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/food-nutrit ... -continues
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretCanada Rarosdiablo

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Walton wrote:This is a great article, I think everyone should read this

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/food-nutrit ... -continues
This is very good.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm

deanothedino wrote:This is bad advice. "Full fat" milk is better for you than both semi and skimmed (and actually tastes nice). The types of fats in milk are not bad for you and furthermore when milk is skimmed plenty of other good nutrients are also removed. Stick to full fat, unless you don't like the taste.
Yep, correct.

If you can afford it, go for Organic full fat. I used to drink semi-skimmed but not now.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

piston broke wrote:My top tip for anybody who is hungry between meals, CLEAN YOUR TEETH, the freshness takes away the hunger pangs and zero calories.
If you're hungry between meals then have a snack. I find celery or a handful of nuts does the trick, or an apple.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Started 9th January first weigh-in today and thereafter weekly.... lost 3.3kg only another 23.6kg to go !! :D
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank cricketfieldclarets Rarosdiablo

ClaretCanada
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by ClaretCanada » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

I usually drop 1 or 1.5 lbs overnight, more than likely water retention. I started drinking a cup of hot (as possible) water before bed about a month ago and since then I usually drop at least 2.5 to 3 lbs.
Helps me sleep too.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 pm

ClaretCanada wrote:I usually drop 1 or 1.5 lbs overnight, more than likely water retention. I started drinking a cup of hot (as possible) water before bed about a month ago and since then I usually drop at least 2.5 to 3 lbs.
Helps me sleep too.
With water retention you gain weight because you aren't drinking enough, so your body overcompensates by keeping hold of more. During the night it's water loss, due to respiration and transpiration, which is why you might still feel tired when you wake up. It's not necessarily because you didn't get enough sleep, but more often due to dehydration.

ClaretCanada
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by ClaretCanada » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:31 am

FactualFrank wrote:With water retention you gain weight because you aren't drinking enough, so your body overcompensates by keeping hold of more. During the night it's water loss, due to respiration and transpiration, which is why you might still feel tired when you wake up. It's not necessarily because you didn't get enough sleep, but more often due to dehydration.
Dehydration not a problem I drink water all day

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 am

FactualFrank wrote:Weighing time.

Last Monday 8/1: 13 stones 10.0
Today 15/1: 13 stones 6.4

Loss of 3.6 pounds so far.
I did another weighin this morning as I'm out for a few beers tomorrow afternoon, so hoping to be no worse off by Monday.

Friday 19/1: 13 stones 5.2

Another 1.2 pounds lost since Monday and 4.8 pounds since starting 11 days ago. I can also tell that a bit of belly fat has buggered off.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 am

FactualFrank wrote:If you're hungry between meals then have a snack. I find celery or a handful of nuts does the trick, or an apple.
Good for you Frank but most snack on sh1t. Chocolate bars, crisps, biscuits, etc., all calorie packed.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

piston broke wrote:Good for you Frank but most snack on sh1t. Chocolate bars, crisps, biscuits, etc., all calorie packed.
I'm not really missing that, which I'm pretty surprised at. I'd often have a crisp butty just as a snack, or if I go to the shop buy some chocolate.

I'd say the only thing I'd like to have every couple of weeks is a few beers. Things such as crisps and chocolate I think I could do without.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am

FactualFrank wrote:Things such as crisps and chocolate I think I could do without.
If you did want chocolate, a square of dark chocolate a day is fine

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm

deanothedino wrote:If you did want chocolate, a square of dark chocolate a day is fine
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier in the thread that I had some dark chocolate with 85% cocoa. For some reason it didn't come to mind when I was talking about chocolate and crisps as I just had the milk chocolate in my head such as Yorkie or Twix.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 am

Day 7 of trying to get a little fitter ended with a 5lbs loss. I was on for 9lbs but I fell completely off the wagon Saturday and Sunday.

Back on it now, and only 1 bad patch to be had Saturday evening, which won't turn into an 18 hour bender. So should lose again next week.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank cricketfieldclarets

Walton

Post by Walton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Lost 5lbs/2kg in a fortnight, with my body fat percentage going from 24.9% to 24.2%. Fat mass has gone down 1.2kg in the fortnight.
These 2 users liked this post: Clarets4me FactualFrank

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Down from 12-12 to 12-4 in a week but a rest day on Sunday added a pound.
Back to 12-4 now. 11-8 is the target but it could take a month or two.
These 3 users liked this post: Clarets4me FactualFrank Colburn_Claret

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

I watched, "Trust me, I'm a doctor" the other day where they did an interesting study.
You read/hear a lot from people saying, "I don't eat carbs after 6pm", because they think it turns to fat quicker.

The study showed that's untrue and it's not about what time you have the carbs. If you have low carbs during the day, a heavy carbs evening meal would be fine.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/is-eating ... you-2018-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 am

Have gone from 14.1 to 13.6 in 3 weeks. Daily calorie intake is between 1000-1600. Not staving myself just cut all unhealthy snacks and eating a balanced diet.

Only had 3 pints since NYE as well which is well below par. Doing a 5k run twice a week and lifting weights twice a week

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:23 am

Had to weigh in a day early this week, lost 1.8 kilos, making 5.1 kg in total, leaving 21.8kg to go...

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 am

Week 2 of trying to get a little fitter yielded another 3lbs off. Not massive but if I can do that for the next 3 weeks I'll have gone beyond my target.

Not adjusted too much other than doing an hours walk after tea a couple of times a week, and eating fresher food. Making sure I've eaten every time I leave the house is massive, as buying dinner out etc is always more unhealthy and expensive.
Saved a bit of money too, so been spending more at the butcher's on quality cuts of meat, that fills me up and is tasty.
The butcher thinks I'm ill though, as I've resisted buying a couple of pies per visit for my last 4 visits there.

I'm having pie withdrawal though. Gone completely cold turkey.

How's everyone else doing?

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 am

3lbs off on my last weigh in. 3lbs more and I’ve lost 3 stone.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 am

Pearcey wrote:3lbs off on my last weigh in. 3lbs more and I’ve lost 3 stone.
Wow. Happy days!
Well done.

My target was only to get into the 13 stones and comfortably stay there.

The Mrs has requested I don't lose anymore than my target, she says it's noticeable now at 8lbs loss and thinks if I do another 8 my shape will change too much.

My main goal was fitness and healthier eating over actual weight loss as I was starting to get tired and out of breath off the slightest bit of exercise. After reviewing my weekly meals, I realised they were shockingly bad, and if I'd have continued in that way by 40 I'd have serious weight and no doubt health issues.
These 2 users liked this post: piston broke Pearcey

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am

MACCA wrote: The Mrs has requested I don't lose anymore than my target, she says it's noticeable now at 8lbs loss and thinks if I do another 8 my shape will change too much.
She's probably right. My natural weight, as a younger man, would have been just over 11st but I once got down to 9st 9lb to run a marathon. She ordered me to put some back on straight after the race as I looked horrible. As I look horrible all the time I didn't see the problem but put the weight back on because I got so weak I couldn't do my job.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am

MACCA wrote:Week 2 of trying to get a little fitter yielded another 3lbs off. Not massive but if I can do that for the next 3 weeks I'll have gone beyond my target.

Not adjusted too much other than doing an hours walk after tea a couple of times a week, and eating fresher food. Making sure I've eaten every time I leave the house is massive, as buying dinner out etc is always more unhealthy and expensive.
Saved a bit of money too, so been spending more at the butcher's on quality cuts of meat, that fills me up and is tasty.
The butcher thinks I'm ill though, as I've resisted buying a couple of pies per visit for my last 4 visits there.

I'm having pie withdrawal though. Gone completely cold turkey.

How's everyone else doing?
Dont go cold turkey. If pies are your thing have them once a eeek. You wont feel like you are sacrificing them and wont be inclined to give up.

Pies are great!

Maybe just have one from the butchers on matchday if its a match ritual. Obviously no pies are healthy really but the ones from a butchers are miles better content than one on the turf.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Dont go cold turkey. If pies are your thing have them once a eeek. You wont feel like you are sacrificing them and wont be inclined to give up.

Pies are great!

Maybe just have one from the butchers on matchday if its a match ritual. Obviously no pies are healthy really but the ones from a butchers are miles better content than one on the turf.
Not really a match ritual, more I just look at the vast array of flavours whilst in the butcher's, and pick 1 or 2 up as they all look and sound tasty. I've only 1 left to do and that's the whole lot I've sampled. There must be well over a dozen ( possibly nearer 2 ) to go at. I'll save the last to celebrate with once target weight is achieved.

I off set my pie addiction with picking up a minty lamb burger or a salt and pepper chicken breast to grill up and have with my tea.

Wouldn't touch a Turf Pie, I'm yet to see one that contains meat, and they all look burnt and boiling. I've witnessed many a burnt chins and the odd full pie drop on the floor.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 pm

MACCA wrote:Not really a match ritual, more I just look at the vast array of flavours whilst in the butcher's, and pick 1 or 2 up as they all look and sound tasty. I've only 1 left to do and that's the whole lot I've sampled. There must be well over a dozen ( possibly nearer 2 ) to go at. I'll save the last to celebrate with once target weight is achieved.

I off set my pie addiction with picking up a minty lamb burger or a salt and pepper chicken breast to grill up and have with my tea.

Wouldn't touch a Turf Pie, I'm yet to see one that contains meat, and they all look burnt and boiling. I've witnessed many a burnt chins and the odd full pie drop on the floor.
True story - my brother went to get a pie two games ago from the kiosk. The lass on the counter knew him. She told him if it was for his lad to not buy it as they hadnt been sold last game and had just been reheated.

Huddersfield sell anything unused off after the game for a quid!

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Pearcey wrote:3lbs off on my last weigh in. 3lbs more and I’ve lost 3 stone.
Well done. 3 stone in January or you been at it longer?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 pm

I'd not really noticed this thread and only just gone on today.

My plan was to try and maintain my weight rather than lose some. I'm a lot lighter than I was even a couple of years ago so just wanted to keep it at that. Then I thought I'd try and lose a little bit. I got Christmas, New Year and my birthday out of the way but started after the Palace trip 17 days ago and have lost just over 4 lbs. I know it's not a lot but I'm pleased with it. Unfortunately, I'm not as active as I was. My gym going days are long behind me with the arthritis but I do try and do a little bit of walking.

It's good being under 14st though.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 pm

Was skiing last week - first time in 4 years - started the week with a cold, so missed first 4 days skiing - skied 2 days - found my weight was down about 5 lbs when I got home - lower than I want to be - building up now to somewhere around 10st 7lbs (may still be a little under). Still down 13 kg from Feb-2016 when I had heart attack.

Look after your hearts, guys, and "may you stay forever young." (Bob Dylan)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:With water retention you gain weight because you aren't drinking enough, so your body overcompensates by keeping hold of more. During the night it's water loss, due to respiration and transpiration, which is why you might still feel tired when you wake up. It's not necessarily because you didn't get enough sleep, but more often due to dehydration.
I've always wondered why I'm tired after a nights sleep....now I have the answer :D
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:They appears to be a lot of depressed and obese people who use this forum. Depression can lead to overeating and weight gain; obesity can lead to overwhelming sadness. You need to learn how to break the cycle.
Sit on it. If you're fat enough, that should do it.

For a simple plan - try this handy magazine http://viz.co.uk/2015/01/09/less-cake-e ... -magazine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 am

I didn’t realise how much weight can fluctuate during the day. I weighed myself Tuesday morning and was 13.7 meaning I had put on 1lbs.

I then went to work for 13 hours, was busy so only had two brews and quickly ate a salad. Weighed myself when I got home and I was 13.3.

No idea what my true weight is but some shirts that didn’t fit me a few weeks ago now fit

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am

Another weigh in last night, and after 3 weeks of trying to get fitter another 2 lbs off, making it 10 lbs in total.

Even managed 2 haffners pie and peas at a function Saturday night to celebrate our amazing point.
Once again it feels like I'm not even trying, so it's easy to stick too. It's not flying off, but slow and steady is working for me. Makes me more determined as even when I have treats I've still lost.

Walton

Post by Walton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Walton wrote:Lost 5lbs/2kg in a fortnight, with my body fat percentage going from 24.9% to 24.2%. Fat mass has gone down 1.2kg in the fortnight.
Weighed myself today, 4 weeks since starting.

Body fat percentage now 22.7%, with fat mass going down another 1.7kg.

Lost 8lb in weight, but it wasn't really about that for me

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm

How do you measure all that?

I've got a fancy set of scales that says it measures all these fancy things but not a clue what it all means, and seems I need to enter all my facts and figures every time, which I cba.

So just step on, and see the score.

Walton

Post by Walton » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm

I use the BMI machine at Boots, it's gives the body fat stuff at the bottom

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Ah I see. My scales do do all that carry on, but I canny be bothered reading the 87 page booklet, nor stand there punching in various facts and figures pre or post bath.

If the scales and the mrs say I'm losing, it'll do for me.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 692 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 am

FactualFrank wrote:She advised me to start using an app called MyFitnessPal
Been using this for 10 days. Lost over 3kg since... which is semi dangerous if the rate continues (I’m sure it will begin to level out to approx 1kg/week), but it’s an incredible motivator to eat healthily when you actually keep a strict record of what you eat. I still eat about 2000kCal/day (by no means unhealthily low), which is probably half of what I used to eat
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am

Roosterbooster wrote:Been using this for 10 days. Lost over 3kg since... which is semi dangerous if the rate continues (I’m sure it will begin to level out to approx 1kg/week), but it’s an incredible motivator to eat healthily when you actually keep a strict record of what you eat. I still eat about 2000kCal/day (by no means unhealthily low), which is probably half of what I used to eat
That's about, what, 6 and a half pounds in 10 days? Perhaps slightly high, but it depends on what your starting weight was.

On MFP I aim for around 1400 calories, plus whatever exercise calories I log.

One thing I've found about this, apart from it working, is that I'm not hungry at night. It's all about how you eat the calories.

Also look at things such as vitamin c, protein, calcium, vitamin a, things like that - aim to cover the calories whilst at the same time making sure you cover all the other bases too.

For instance it could get to evening main meal and you notice you've only had 50% of your calcium needs... A glass of a milk or a yoghurt will bump you somewhere near. Things like strawberries contain a lot of vitamin c, so having some of those will bump your daily vit c up.

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am

My starting weight wasn’t ridiculous. But my BMR must have been huge because it was quite stable on about 4000 kCal/day. As soon as I’ve dropped down to between 1500-2000 the weight is disappearing like Rover’s fans. I am still quite hungry between meals, but I just plough on
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am

Roosterbooster wrote:My starting weight wasn’t ridiculous. But my BMR must have been huge because it was quite stable on about 4000 kCal/day. As soon as I’ve dropped down to between 1500-2000 the weight is disappearing like Rover’s fans. I am still quite hungry between meals, but I just plough on
You shouldn't be hungry, if you're eating enough of the right foods.

Perhaps up your protein intake. I find 2 boiled eggs can fill be up for a few hours, whereas something with more calories like a sausage sandwich, doesn't.

Roosterbooster

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You shouldn't be hungry
I think it’s habitual hunger. Once I’m distracted I forget about it. I imagine it’s like smokers who smoke bacause they have nothing to do. I’m used to just stealing chocolates off the nurses station. Now I just get weird looks when I turn down the offer of free chocolate...

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

One topic I haven't seen mentioned yet is the change to your metabolic rate.
As the weight comes off and your training routine gets easier, quicker or longer you will find your toilet habits becoming more regular and you are, literally, getting the crap out of your body.
It's a win/win.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Fell off the wagon over the weekend, not sure I dare do the weigh in tonight. Bound to have put on, can feel it. Do I skip weighing tonight and weigh next week as to not feel disappointed?
I know I can shift the added weight this week by doing my usual work outs

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Macca, I'd advise weighing yourself first thing in the morning (well second, after you've 'been')... naked!

I tend to weigh myself Mondays and Fridays.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 pm

I've now lost 7lbs since January 1st, taking my weight to 12 and a half stones. My target is to lose another four or five lbs. i've reduced my portion sizes, but like last year, started doing quite a lot of running again. I enjoy getting out and it's great for the head after a hard day at work.

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:04 pm

I work a lot outside in the fields, buffing up more than anything, no need to lose weight, if anything I need to put it on. Recently learned how to make chocolate chip cookies and now I'm addicted to making them, we'll see how it all balances out.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 pm

4:20 wrote:I work a lot outside in the fields, buffing up more than anything, no need to lose weight, if anything I need to put it on. Recently learned how to make chocolate chip cookies and now I'm addicted to making them, we'll see how it all balances out.
Username of 4:20 and enjoys 'baking'.

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Username of 4:20 and enjoys 'baking'.

2/10 Not enough redeye

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm

This user liked this post: 4:20