Boreham Wood FC, standing up to.aggressive football agent.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Boreham Wood FC, standing up to.aggressive football agent.

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:26 am

https://twitter.com/BOREHAM_WOODFC/stat ... 37824?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is worth a read, gives an insight into some of the aggravation that a football agent can cause.

Well done to Boreham Wood for refusing to be cowed by this bloke.
These 2 users liked this post: edlass burnleymik

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Boreham Wood FC, standing up to.aggressive football agent.

Post by edlass » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 am

If I found out that the reason we hadn't signed any players so far was because we stood up to the same behaviour (with far more exaggerated money). Then I would be happy to keep the same team.

Does a player have to have an agent or can he read his own contract offer and negotiate himself?

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:53 am

They should name him and his company. If all clubs refused to deal with them they’d soon have no players.
Well done BWFC for standing up to him.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:01 am

Don't Agents have to be licensed?

If a case is proved against this particular one, can't they revoke it?
Last edited by Buxtonclaret on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 am

Have i missed something here. It reads to me BW put a 35K release clause with a sell on fee and add ons into his original contract which Wimbledon met. Because BW had a better offer from Tranmere they turned it down (tried to force Wimbledon to match it) the better offer but based on the contract they agreed with the player I dont see how they are in a position to turn it down as all the other clubs need to do is meet the release clause and then its down to the player.

Not defending how anyone acted as we only have one side of the story and we cant know what has gone on but unless ive read this incorrectly (which I may well have done as it seems too obvious) then I dont see what Wimbledon, the agent or the palyer have done wrong by demanding BW honour the terms of the contract they stipulated and agreed
Last edited by Devils_Advocate on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:03 am

Doesn't it say 'Both clubs in agreement with the fee'...?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

edlass wrote:If I found out that the reason we hadn't signed any players so far was because we stood up to the same behaviour (with far more exaggerated money). Then I would be happy to keep the same team.

Does a player have to have an agent or can he read his own contract offer and negotiate himself?
Depends on the player I suppose and how clever he is.

Some players let family members do it all for them which is why Neymars dad made a spectacular amount of money in a backhand deal when his son went to Barca.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:20 am

edlass wrote:If I found out that the reason we hadn't signed any players so far was because we stood up to the same behaviour (with far more exaggerated money). Then I would be happy to keep the same team.

I might be wrong but I think Michael Duff didn't have one. They don't need one and a solicitor would probably charge less than some of these crooks imo. The problem is a lot of footballers aren't very clever but rich and stupid whilst having footballing talent. Naming and shaming would be a good idea and clubs should collectively stand up to them.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 am

When I worked in the Transport Section of Royal Mail, for a couple of years I worked with our Contracts people dealing with the Air Companies we used to move the mail on our inland routes. These could be incredibly detailed contracts containing lots of penalty clauses for any delays. And of course the air Companies used to almost always cite force majuere as the reason why.

With my old and rusty hat on I have had a quick read of the twitter feed and unless I have got it horribly wrong the new agent is guilty of bad manners and an attempt to spread scurrilous rumours.

But the issue seems to be that there is a release clause set at £35,000 coupled with an agreed sell on fee together with vague additional add ons.

Tranmere trigger this but the player, after being told and presumably discussing the offer, decided not to go.

Then Wimbledon put in an offer, again of £35,000 with what looks like a higher sell on clause but that BWFC refuse to accept. BWFC then told them to match the Tranmere offer.

But, the player had already said he did not want to go to Tranmere. So that offer is now largely irrelevant.

So who is holding who to ransom.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:01 am

I don’t like agents, however if I was a player I’d be more than happy to pay an agent a % of my wage to ensure he made me millions and got me the big moves. I think some of you would be amazed if you knew the true goings on. I’ve met loads and Some have been decent blokes, most are cockney wide boys though.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 am

Seems like the agent didn't understand the part of the contract that says both teams have to agree the sell on percentage. His behaviour after misinterpreting this is shocking though.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

Sure it was Clarke Carlisle who didn't have an agent.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Depends on the player I suppose and how clever he is.

Some players let family members do it all for them which is why Neymars dad made a spectacular amount of money in a backhand deal when his son went to Barca.
Anelka’s agent was his brother. The reason he moved on so often.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am

It’s not mandatory for a player to have an agent , it’s a personal choice.

The game would be better off without them in my opinion. The players should speak for themselves and take their careers into their own hands. Play for passion rather than £££££ signs. Unfortunately we are in a time where we are so far gone that money is ruling in ridiculous fashion.

Some of the wages and fees paid to football players is an insult to the working man, doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, surgeons just to name a few....all paid less a year for saving lives than some jumped up little bastards get paid a week for kicking a ball.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am

The way I read it was that there was a £35,000 release clause the clubs would have to agree on a sell-on clause plus any additional payments.

Tranmere offered £35,000, plus add-ons, plus a sell on clause. That was accepted and Morgan Ferrier turned down the offer, as he’s entitled to do.

AFC Wimbledon then came calling, which was conveniently a couple of days after the player changed his agent. From that, I assume, that the first thing his agent did was promote his clients services, despite him turning down a Football League club a month or so ago. Not sure whether an agent is even allowed to do that, but there we go. AFC Wimbledon offered £35,000 and a sell-on fee and the agent has assumed that has to be met. It doesn’t, as the sell-on fee and additional payments weren’t agreed, as outlined in the contract. The agent has th I n essentially tried to bully the club into accepting the offer.

As far as I read it, Boreham Wood have done everything by the book. This doesn’t suggest an agent looking for the best interests of his client, more somebody closer to home...

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Paul Scholes never had an agent, I think fergie promised him he would always be on a par with the biggest earners

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co. ... -this-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:55 pm

It smells like the new agent wanted the player trasnferred because agents make most of their dosh out of players moving clubs, but the player didn't really fancy the move to Tranmere in the end (so not that thick then) and balked. The agent sent him back to BW to ask for more "responsibility" whatever that is, but it probably involves an improved salary, and meanwhile was still angling for him to move, this time to Wimbledon. The biggest problem with agents isn't always the money they cream off, it's the fact that they deliberately unsettle previously settled players because it suits them to. I wonder who Ben Mee's agent is?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Mee's agent isn't doing anything to unsettle Mee is he?

Ben Mee himself dismissed something on Instagram about him.and Heaton as being far from the truth.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Mee's agent isn't doing anything to unsettle Mee is he?

Ben Mee himself dismissed something on Instagram about him.and Heaton as being far from the truth.
Yes, he did (or appeared to), but the fact remains that something is strange about the Mee situation, especially when you consider how settled and valued he's been with us and when you consider where would he SENSIBLY go to if he was to move. You just then wonder about an agent and his influence and his motives, but obviously nobody outside a few at the club really knows.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 am

Dark Cloud wrote:Yes, he did (or appeared to), but the fact remains that something is strange about the Mee situation, especially when you consider how settled and valued he's been with us and when you consider where would he SENSIBLY go to if he was to move. You just then wonder about an agent and his influence and his motives, but obviously nobody outside a few at the club really knows.
Nothing strange at all - like any other player Mee doesn't have to sign a new contract and, if he wishes, can run down his current deal which ends next summer. He dismissed the nonsense of his wage demands etc. but that's the press getting hold of a story and turning it into something they want.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:02 am

Buxtonclaret wrote:Don't Agents have to be licensed?

If a case is proved against this particular one, can't they revoke it?
I don't think they do have to be licensed now. As in everything, there will be good ones, bad ones and agents who are far worse than bad.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 am

I suppose an agent is there to get as much for his client as he possibly can. He doesn't really care if the club thinks he is a muppet, or worse, that is his job and his only goal.

Kudos to BW for standing their ground too.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am

"When we spoke to Morgan face to face yesterday (Friday), he denied writing the email, and stated that it was written out for him in its entirety by his intermediary/agent/representative and he was simply told to send it from his email address."

Here, send this, don't read it Morgan, just send it.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 am

edison wrote:"When we spoke to Morgan face to face yesterday (Friday), he denied writing the email, and stated that it was written out for him in its entirety by his intermediary/agent/representative and he was simply told to send it from his email address."

Here, send this, don't read it Morgan, just send it.

The player pays the agent to think for them :D .

A colleague of mine, his good friend used to be an agent and he said some of his clients were incredible. He even got a phonecall off one at 11pm at night asking him to pop round to his house to change a lightbulb!

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don't think they do have to be licensed now. As in everything, there will be good ones, bad ones and agents who are far worse than bad.
Wasn't sure.
They're pretty well freelance in all they do then.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:31 pm

I watched a programme a few years ago where James Milner said he used the PFA. He said there was no need to use an agent as the PFA did just as good a job, and they did it for the player not themselves.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 pm

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co. ... llmustwin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The player and agent have parted company, everything has been resolved.