#TenYearsAheadDay - One Year To Go!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

#TenYearsAheadDay - One Year To Go!

Post by Rowls » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 am

In nearly one calendar year we will mark an exciting anniversary - It will be 10 years since Owen Coyle announced that Bolton Wanderers were "ten years ahead" of Burnley.

Of course, there is the possibility that we will have to endure celebrating Ten Years Ahead Day in the same division as them but equally there is the chance that we shall be two whole leagues above.

There is even a slim chance they may be in administration or even have been liquidated by the time this auspicious day arrives. This would be genuinely awful for all those true Bolton fans out there and isn't really the point of Ten Years Ahead Day. Although there should -and must- be a price for financial mismanagement on the scale of Bolton the purpose of celebrating Ten Years Ahead Day is nothing to do with Bolton, or their blameless fans, but rather an excuse to have a good laugh at Judas Coyle's expense.

It's quite apt that Colye, the Chief Snake Oil Salesman himself, fell for the Gartside's story and believed the spending of other people's money would never end at Bolton.

So whilst Bolton are looking nervously over their shoulders (at the bank manager as much as League One) we are financially sound, well-run, solvent and with assets and money to invest in our future.

But one big question remains: What precise date should Ten Years Ahead Day be celebrated on?

Coyle had left us by the 5th January - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... n-job.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was announced Bolton manager on 8th January - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 439458.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the earliest quote I can find about the "ten years ahead" guff is from 10th January - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ion-880362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So we have three possible dates to celebrate Ten Years Ahead Day.

Which do you think it could be?

Or can anyone find Coyle spouting his 'ten years ahead' equine-poop from before 10th January?

Either way, here's looking forward to the official Ten Years Ahead Day this time (roughly) next year.

#TenYearsAheadDay

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Re: #TenYearsAheadDay - One Year To Go!

Post by Rowls » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:20 am

My vote would go for 10th January or the earliest date we can find of Coyle saying his 'ten years ahead' stuff.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:44 am

If Mr Coyle is correct, I'm not looking forward to Burnley selling the Gawthorpe Training facility to Accrington Stanley in February 2026, for £2.2m in order to pay one month's wages !! :lol: :lol:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14 ... -athletic/

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:49 am

Its also worth using this to note that anything can happen to any club. And tge direction in which two differing clubs can go can be extreme.

While we had been a sucesful top flight club in our history, since the advent of the premier league and all its riches at that point ten years ago we were a reletaively small club. Whether we like it or not our foray into the premier league looked like the exception rather than the norm and especially in comparison to Bolton and Rovers. Not to mention the likes of Villa, Leeds and Sunderland.

Ten years ago Bournemouth had just finished 4th bottom in league 2 below the likes of Macclessfield, Darlington, Dagenham. Brentford now an established championship side had won the league.

Leicester won a league. But not the premier league. But a league which contained cheltenham, yeovil, stockport, hartlepool, carlisle, leyton orient and southen. Along with current premier league sides Brighton and Huddersfield.

In the league we were promoted from that season Norwich and Southampton went down below Plymouth in what was probably one of the toughest championships ever. Remarkable how we went up really.

So while its fantastic how the tides changed, and if you cant laugh at your rivals what can you laugh at its also worth noting what can go wrong. Bolton and Blackburn looked as established as any club outside the top 5 or 6.

Its only the lessons we learnt from that season that meant we ended up back here. Appointing two good managers since in Howe and Dyche that we are back where we are.

To those who wanted Dyche out may that season also be a lesson. Bolton wanted shut of Megson. Rovers wanted shut of Allerdyce and both have never recovered.

10 years is a long time in football. In fact, this season shows 6 months is!
These 6 users liked this post: mdd2 DCWat Clarets4me Bosscat Burnley Ace DomBFC1882

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 am

Owen Who?!

When the facts are laid down in the cold light of day, the whole "SuBo goes to Horwich" reads like a Brian Rix farce!

Even the master of farce himself could not have dreamt up some of the plot...

Poached by a much bigger team (He's a legend don't you know)
Released by that much bigger team (No longer a legend) (Win ratio 33.3%)
Employed by a Rugby team
Released by a Rugby team (Win ratio 30.4%)
Employed by an NFL Franchise
Released by an NGFL Franchise (Win ratio 32.7%)
Employed to run a Chicken Farm
Released at the Chicken Farm (Win ratio 29.7%)
Returns back home to run a 3rd rate outfit
Released by a 3rd rate outfit (Win ratio 18.2%)

The figures are as funny as Mourinho's famous "30, 33, 43 and 69", especially when you look at SuBo's win ratio at t'Turf (Win ratio 42.2%)

As for celebrating "10 years ahead", perhaps a T-shirt is the way to go. (Horse's head motif anyone?)

As for Horwich. Do I want them to go into Administration? Nah! They're suffering enough. Administration would simply put them out of their misery. The whole sorry tale should be a lesson to all - especially those who want to Spend Spend Spend.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:34 am

As much as he is despised in this neck of the woods, let's not forget that, without him, we
wouldn't be where we are today and have the ability to gloat.

Oh the irony. :D
Last edited by Funkydrummer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:38 am

Funkydrummer wrote:Oh the irony. :D
Shouldn't that be Irn-Bru-rony ;) I'll get my coat ! :lol:
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:52 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Shouldn't that be Irn-Bru-rony ;) I'll get my coat ! :lol:
Nope. :lol: :lol: :lol:

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

Rowls wrote:Of course, there is the possibility that we will have to endure celebrating Ten Years Ahead Day in the same division
doubt Bolton will be promoted this season!

:D

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:28 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its also worth using this to note that anything can happen to any club. And tge direction in which two differing clubs can go can be extreme.

While we had been a sucesful top flight club in our history, since the advent of the premier league and all its riches at that point ten years ago we were a reletaively small club. Whether we like it or not our foray into the premier league looked like the exception rather than the norm and especially in comparison to Bolton and Rovers. Not to mention the likes of Villa, Leeds and Sunderland.

Ten years ago Bournemouth had just finished 4th bottom in league 2 below the likes of Macclessfield, Darlington, Dagenham. Brentford now an established championship side had won the league.

Leicester won a league. But not the premier league. But a league which contained cheltenham, yeovil, stockport, hartlepool, carlisle, leyton orient and southen. Along with current premier league sides Brighton and Huddersfield.

In the league we were promoted from that season Norwich and Southampton went down below Plymouth in what was probably one of the toughest championships ever. Remarkable how we went up really.

So while its fantastic how the tides changed, and if you cant laugh at your rivals what can you laugh at its also worth noting what can go wrong. Bolton and Blackburn looked as established as any club outside the top 5 or 6.

Its only the lessons we learnt from that season that meant we ended up back here. Appointing two good managers since in Howe and Dyche that we are back where we are.

To those who wanted Dyche out may that season also be a lesson. Bolton wanted shut of Megson. Rovers wanted shut of Allerdyce and both have never recovered.

10 years is a long time in football. In fact, this season shows 6 months is!
Thoughtfull and well argued post, your father must be a wise man !!

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 am

So, this is all he said;

"The training centre and the academy set-up is fantastic. It's everything I wanted for Burnley but this club is probably five or ten years ahead of what we were trying to build".

At the time sort of true, really.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:34 am

Be interesting to see where all the NW clubs are 10 years from now.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38 am

‘...I want to be the best I can be. Where that takes me, only time will tell...’

I think time has telled! :?

:D

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 am

Bolton are in a desperate financial mess. It was reported that the wages had gone unpaid in December and the PFA were providing a loan. The chairman came out and said he'd paid the wages. Yesterday it was announced there was a registration embargo due to a debt to a football creditor, the pfa who had paid the wages for November and December . This is a chairman who pays himself £500k and his son £125k.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am

Just to add to cricketfield's cautionary tale, 10 years before our annus mirabilis under Coyle, we'd finished 15th in League One. Just enjoy the good times as us, Bolton and the B***ards will swing past each other plenty of times as long as the football league is going.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:05 am

Some of our Fans revel in the Jilted Boyfriend Routine, dont they?

Guys; the Prom Queen dumped you and you were broken hearted, but it’s time to get over it. Especially since you’ve since shacked up with the Supermodel.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am

Corky wrote:So, this is all he said;

"The training centre and the academy set-up is fantastic. It's everything I wanted for Burnley but this club is probably five or ten years ahead of what we were trying to build".

At the time sort of true, really.
Maybe, except that there is no evidence that he ever was trying to “build” anything at Burnley, something which Sean Dyche commented on when he arrived.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 am

I really despise people who bullsh*t their way into positions as much as those who make a career out of brown nosing superiors. Much better to be honest with yourself. He obviously pulled the wool over Venkys eyes ( not that that would be difficult IMO)The thing is with Coyle is he either believes all the guff he spouts or he's a compulsive liar IMO. I wonder what he is doing these days ? Probably digging peat bogs in the highlands whilst drinking Irn Bru and wittering inane ramblings about Moses.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 am

Blackrod wrote:I wonder what he is doing these days ?
Probably sitting in his million pound house thinking he’ll never have to work again if he doesn’t want to.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 am

And there is a reason he's got all the jobs guys.

And it involves what he did for our club.

But these thread are hilarious reading when they come up (is it a monthly thing?)

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am

Wonderful quotes from Garth in the Daily Mail comments section.

"Its laughable hoe Bolton a top flight team in the Prem for the past 9/10 years is classed as the same as Burnley".

"Bolton are a bigger club with modern and better facilities"

"True it is sad for Burnley fans and I sympathies but he could do more here than ever he could at Burnley",

How true Garth, how true!!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Bolton's finances

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:36 am

The Times report:

PFA loan paid Bolton Wanderers wages

The PFA loaned Bolton Wanderers money to pay players’ wages for November and December, it has emerged. The union has told Ken Anderson, Bolton’s owner, that no more money will be provided.

On December 12, Bolton said that Anderson would “personally fund the outstanding salaries” and that a delay in paying the players was due to talks with the PFA. It has emerged that the PFA gave the Championship club a secured loan to cover those two months’ payroll. In 2016-17, the club’s monthly wage bill was just over £1 million.

Bolton have been hit by several winding-up petitions from HMRC in the past three years, but have paid those debts. The club avoided administration in September after a £5 million loan from the former owner Eddie Davies just before his death. Davies’s offshore company loaned the money to Anderson, who loaned it to the club. The £5 million must be repaid by March.

The PFA has come under fire for having more than £50 million in reserves but it can argue that its assets allow it to help its members in such cases. Bolton could also face a registration embargo as they have at least one outstanding football creditor.

-------------------------

This is why football club's need people who understand finance involved in their operations.

This is also why, as Burnley fans, we should always keep our expectations modest in transfer windows.

UTC

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

People still not over this yet?

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Probably sitting in his million pound house thinking he’ll never have to work again if he doesn’t want to.
I bet he isn't. People who have made money don't just sit there thinking 'how lucky am I ?' :roll: They do things and feel things like normal people surprisingly.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Judging by his amusing chubbiness when I saw him on the JHL concourse screens at HT in the West Ham game he has done a great deal of "just sitting there" of late.

colner
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Marc Iles who is the sports writer for the local rag,who is banned now from the ten years ahead club has tweeted this https://twitter.com/MarcIles/status/1081179485796556802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Will Horwich risk administration?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Looks like OC has gained about half a stone/year in those 9 years looking at him on the Star Sixes just now. About as effective in this game as he was after he left Burnley. Steve jones on a hat trick at moment for NI against Scotland

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Are we still not over this?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Speak for yourself, never a problem after the end of 2010 for me; just a comment on his present rounded personna and how Steve jones has weathered the years better. SJ only 3.5 years his junior
oops he is 10 years younger

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Thoughtfull and well argued post, your father must be a wise man !!
No comment :D
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 pm

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:35 pm

If Horwich are relying on a cup run it's not looking good 0-1 at home to Walsall ironically scored by Andy Cook :)

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Another winding-up order to be issued by HMRC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47173241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Until the League and HMRC get tough with football clubs then situations like Bolton and other past examples will keep happening

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

20th March is the date set for the High Court and the HMRC's ordwr against Bolton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47306565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that kid of theirs good enough for us to buy? cause we still can and they need the brass

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:54 pm

I just think it’s funny now......

A”10 Years” dinner would be brilliant, even invite Judas and his disciples!!!

Do it at Easter time fir the religious ones!

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Anderson has to be chatting out of his arse when he is talking about someone buying the club.

Stating there are interested buyers will be a delaying tactic I suspect.
Bolton are a mess and who ever buys them will be buying a sinking ship similar to Blackburn financially.

I hope HMRC take them to the cleaners.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:27 am

Maybe we’ll all get over it at the 10 year point. He left. Sh!t happens. I don’t care anymore.