Newcastle v Cardiff

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Newcastle v Cardiff

Post by Goddy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm

OK - given that the most likely candidates for the drop (along with Hudds and Fulham) are probably us, Newcastle or Cardiff, what is the best result for us when those two (Newcastle and Cardiff) meet at the weekend?

On paper, it seems Cardiff's remaining fixtures are more difficult (9 of them away from home for starters) but Newcastle have some tough fixtures coming up and injuries so losing to Cardiff might mean them playing catch up for the rest of the season.

I suppose a draw might be best as neither would get momentum from having won and they'd both have missed out on what they probably both see as a winnable game.

Whatever, 3 points at Watford for us and I probably won't care either way! :D

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Re: Newcastle v Cardiff

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Isn't a draw always the best result in these circumstances; two points taken from the match rather than 3?
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL boatshed bill

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Never mind that, beat Watford and we could be 8 points off 7th.
This user liked this post: Lord Rothbury

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Transpennine wrote:Isn't a draw always the best result in these circumstances; two points taken from the match rather than 3?
....I guess so, although if just one of those two keeps losing over the next few weeks, they may well get cut adrift and takes the pressure off us when we play them (both) in the next month or so.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:03 pm

0-0
This user liked this post: Goddy

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

If we write off Fulham and Huddersfield, we only need to finish above one of these two so the best result would be a defeat for one of them. I'm not sure which one though, probably Cardiff.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Tall Paul wrote:If we write off Fulham and Huddersfield, we only need to finish above one of these two so the best result would be a defeat for one of them. I'm not sure which one though, probably Cardiff.
If you are not sure which, and no one can be at this stage then surely a draw has to be best for us as unless we loose we stay the same position with a draw or gain two points on any team who draws
Last edited by lesxdp on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: CFS

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Tall Paul wrote:If we write off Fulham and Huddersfield, we only need to finish above one of these two so the best result would be a defeat for one of them. I'm not sure which one though, probably Cardiff.
Yes, I suppose its a fair assumption that Rafa has a better chance of keeping Newcastle up than Colin has at Cardiff...

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

If we win, I would like Cardiff to lose.

Daylight starts to emerge.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Whatever our result is we need Cardiff to lose.

Benitez will weasel enough 1-0 wins to keep them up, we need to ensure we finish above Cardiff.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I'd prefer a 0-0 with a couple of red cards.
Next game up for Toon is Man City at home (Spuds away after that, then Wolves away); next for Bluebirds is Arsenal away (bit better after that with Cherries home, Saints away).
You cant rule out Palace from the mix either- Liverpool away, Saints away next two. Though I think they'll be alright with all the pens they get.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 pm

We could do with the 3 points at Watford whatever other results emerge, we have to stop being dependent on other teams around us loosing points, lets do what we have to do and show the PL what Burnley are really made of, i know we can survive this season but its up to the lads to prove it.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Personally I think bugger other teams ... they will do what they do lets concentrate on ourselves...

3 points on Saturday setting us up for a huge win at "The Citehad" :D

Lets concentrate on us :) and let the top six destroy the ones below us and demoralise them......

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm

lesxdp wrote:If you are not sure which, and no one can be at this stage then surrly a draw has to be best for us as unless we loose we stay the same position with a draw or gain two points on any team who draws
And stop calling him surrly.... :D
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat lesxdp

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Goddy wrote:OK - given that the most likely candidates for the drop (along with Hudds and Fulham) are probably us, Newcastle or Cardiff, what is the best result for us when those two (Newcastle and Cardiff) meet at the weekend?

On paper, it seems Cardiff's remaining fixtures are more difficult (9 of them away from home for starters) but Newcastle have some tough fixtures coming up and injuries so losing to Cardiff might mean them playing catch up for the rest of the season.

I suppose a draw might be best as neither would get momentum from having won and they'd both have missed out on what they probably both see as a winnable game.

Whatever, 3 points at Watford for us and I probably won't care either way! :D
Why would you think the most likely candidates are us, Newcastle and Cardiff? Why are you ignoring Southampton (below us and sh!te) and Palace (1 point above us)? Why are you discounting Brighton (especially if we can grab a win at Watford). And why are you dismissing Fulham as probably down who could easilly spend 50/60 million this window? We are not in bad shape (albeit the recent run has only seen us play one decent side in West Ham, who we destroyed). If we can get even a point at Watford (they are very good this season) that would be a result followed by anything we can grab at United (we actually don't have a bad record there) we then have Southampton at home (a victory would put them in deeper trouble) followed by Brighton away (we could get nearer them).

All in all I think Huddersfield (obviously), Southampton and maybe Fulham (depending on window spend) are in greatest danger. I would put us in the next group along with Newcastle, Brighton and Palace. I can genuinely see 5 points from our next 4 games and that (with it including United and 3 away games) would not be a bad haul (2 points away at Watford and Brighton and a win at home to Southampton).

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm

houseboy wrote:Why would you think the most likely candidates are us, Newcastle and Cardiff? Why are you ignoring Southampton (below us and sh!te) and Palace (1 point above us)? Why are you discounting Brighton (especially if we can grab a win at Watford). And why are you dismissing Fulham as probably down who could easilly spend 50/60 million this window? We are not in bad shape (albeit the recent run has only seen us play one decent side in West Ham, who we destroyed). If we can get even a point at Watford (they are very good this season) that would be a result followed by anything we can grab at United (we actually don't have a bad record there) we then have Southampton at home (a victory would put them in deeper trouble) followed by Brighton away (we could get nearer them).

All in all I think Huddersfield (obviously), Southampton and maybe Fulham (depending on window spend) are in greatest danger. I would put us in the next group along with Newcastle, Brighton and Palace. I can genuinely see 5 points from our next 4 games and that (with it including United and 3 away games) would not be a bad haul (2 points away at Watford and Brighton and a win at home to Southampton).
Southampton seem to be getting their act together; Palace have historically seemed to pull decent results out when they need them (and this season doesn't seem any different in that regard); Brighton look decent enough at home and already 7 points clear of the relegation places; Cardiff you didn't factor in your last para....? Having said that, wtfdik...I'm speculating as much as anyone.

Just seems to me that Cardiff and Newcastle look the most vulnerable.

Even so, I reckon if we can beat Cardiff and not lose to Newcastle we'll probably be OK. In the meantime, for us even draws against Watford, Soton and Brighton are likely to mean the gap to third bottom won't have diminished.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Dont forget Saints Cardiff and Palace still have to come to Burnley. Win those and we will be safe

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm out for a few beers at The Bodega in Newcastle on Saturday which will be rammed with fans before and after the game. Anyone got anything they want me to share with them? :)

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Goddy wrote:Southampton seem to be getting their act together; Palace have historically seemed to pull decent results out when they need them (and this season doesn't seem any different in that regard); Brighton look decent enough at home and already 7 points clear of the relegation places; Cardiff you didn't factor in your last para....? Having said that, wtfdik...I'm speculating as much as anyone.

Just seems to me that Cardiff and Newcastle look the most vulnerable.

Even so, I reckon if we can beat Cardiff and not lose to Newcastle we'll probably be OK. In the meantime, for us even draws against Watford, Soton and Brighton are likely to mean the gap to third bottom won't have diminished.
I didn't factor in Cardiff as I really don't think they will go down, don't ask me why but it's just a feeling. To be fair I don't think Brighton will either as they are just about too good I think. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Huddersfield (how brave of me ;)), Southampton and Fulham (but they do have money and, lest we forget, Ranieri). Newcastle are weird as their form is up and down but if Fulham pick up I feel it will be them.

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:02 pm

BurningBeard wrote:I'm out for a few beers at The Bodega in Newcastle on Saturday which will be rammed with fans before and after the game. Anyone got anything they want me to share with them? :)
If you could ask them if they're relishing a return of their derby against the mackems next season, I'd be interested in their responses (oh, and good luck with asking them.... :D )

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 pm

0-0 with a very heavy energy sapping pitch. 3 sending off each and the rest booked.

No shots at all.
These 2 users liked this post: Goddy cricketfieldclarets

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:24 pm

houseboy wrote:I didn't factor in Cardiff as I really don't think they will go down, don't ask me why but it's just a feeling. To be fair I don't think Brighton will either as they are just about too good I think. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Huddersfield (how brave of me ;)), Southampton and Fulham (but they do have money and, lest we forget, Ranieri). Newcastle are weird as their form is up and down but if Fulham pick up I feel it will be them.
You can get 10/1 on Southampton to be relegated.

Fill your boots.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You can get 10/1 on Southampton to be relegated.

Fill your boots.
Could be worth a fiver. :)

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Might put a few quid on myself, it looks overpriced.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Might put a few quid on myself, it looks overpriced.
Just had a look and there are some strange odds being offered. Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff all odds on followed by us at 11/8 and Newcastle at 5/2. Really strange about Southampton but what about Brighton at 40/1? At those odds it's gotta be worth a couple of quid.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You can get 10/1 on Southampton to be relegated.

Fill your boots.
I think Southampton will be fine now Hughes has gone. Way too much quality to go down for me.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 am

BurningBeard wrote:I'm out for a few beers at The Bodega in Newcastle on Saturday which will be rammed with fans before and after the game. Anyone got anything they want me to share with them? :)
Herpes

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 am

For me has to be Newcastle win if any.

Marginally better team.
Much better supoort.
Much better manager.
Much better record.

Warnocks a fantastic championship manager. And has the most promotions from lower leagues than anyone else ever.

However he has yet to keep a premier league side up. He may do this season but im not convinced he will. .

That said I would prefer newcastle to go down simply because if they and fulham go down its two clubs who are much stronger an appeal to players in the market than us in many ways.

Whereas Cardiff arent.

Not that it guarantees anything. But if us Newcastle, Fulham and Cardiff are in for a player we are going to be at the back of the queue in all likliehood.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 am

Newcastle win

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:28 am

IanMcL wrote:0-0 with a very heavy energy sapping pitch. 3 sending off each and the rest booked.

No shots at all.
We had no shots look what happened there.

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Herpes
Delightful. What a charmer you are.

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:41 am

0 - 0 draw and neither team has anything positive for the next match, maybe a shed load of bookings or red card wouldn't be frowned on either. As for us we have the next 3 games on my home made chart to reach 24 points. It is possible that after the Southampton game we will be back on track re points total for survival.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 am

IanMcL wrote:0-0 with a very heavy energy sapping pitch. 3 sending off each and the rest booked.

No shots at all.
Stuart Attwell is the referee and he has only sent off two players in 41 PL matches ---Kevin Moralles of Everton in the 90th minute back in September 2015 and Andy Carroll, West Ham, at the Turf in October 2017 ---so I am not expecting a plethora of red cards, although he has cautioned 37 players in 11 PL games this season.
Let's hope for a 0-0, although the way Newcastle's home form has been this season I think that they would probably be happy with that!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 am

BurningBeard wrote:Delightful. What a charmer you are.
Its probably what caused the beard to burn.

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Thank you for the diagnosis Dr CFC. Your bedside manner is impeccable.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 pm

I think a draw is probably the most favourable result for us and it's
probably between us, Newcastle and Cardiff as to who is in the third bottom place
at the end of the season.

If Newcastle do beat Cardiff then it may well put Cardiff down as favourites to go down.
Even more so if we manage to beat them at home.

It's probably too close to call at present with 16 games and 48 points to go.

Hopefully we can manage to get those 3 or 4 wins to put us in a decent position to stay up.
It will be close, that's for sure.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

I noticed earlier that we are now 4th favourites to go down. We were one of the 3 whenever I've checked.

Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff are the 3.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:04 pm

jurek wrote:I think a draw is probably the most favourable result for us and it's
probably between us, Newcastle and Cardiff as to who is in the third bottom place
at the end of the season.

If Newcastle do beat Cardiff then it may well put Cardiff down as favourites to go down.
Even more so if we manage to beat them at home.

It's probably too close to call at present with 16 games and 48 points to go.

Hopefully we can manage to get those 3 or 4 wins to put us in a decent position to stay up.
It will be close, that's for sure.
Cardiff are already favourites to go down.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm

A draw or Newcastle win for me. Of the two I'd say Cardiff are most likely to go down so a Cardiff win would be the worst possible result IMO.