Boris Watch

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Re: Boris Watch

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:50 am

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 am
No surprises there, It's early days and people always rally around flag at the start. The important thing is what happens over the next few weeks.

It's not how popular you are at the start it's how popular you are at the end. Remember that Churchill and the conservatives got absolutely hammered the election in 1945.
So, fingers crossed, people will stop listening to the government's advice. It'll all unravel, lives will be lost , and the tories current popularity, thanks to their handling of this horrendous epidemic, will collapse leading to a labour landslide.

Keep the faith comrade.
This user liked this post: Damo

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 am

Lives will be lost - the number, and the Tories' popularity, to be based, more than likely, on how many of those lost lives were wasted due to the government - where the buck stops, apparently - arsing around and not following other, more forward - thinking countries' examples early enough.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:50 am
So, fingers crossed, people will stop listening to the government's advice. It'll all unravel, lives will be lost , and the tories current popularity, thanks to their handling of this horrendous epidemic, will collapse leading to a labour landslide.

Keep the faith comrade.
You should hang your head in shame. I neither said or implied anything of the sort.

You were seeking to make political capital by pointing out how popular Boris and the Tories are in the polls at the moment. All I said was that it's not how popular you are at the start of a crisis it's how popular you are at the end that counts. Just like Churchill found out after WW2.
Last edited by Cryssys on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie FactualFrank

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 am

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 am
If you think that then you don't understand this thread. This isn't a balanced view, it's a snipe at Boris view.
Whatever he does, whatever he says he's wrong. If he's right it's only because the Labour Party forced him into that position.

It's a very difficult situation, and there is very little right or wrong because we are walking uncharted territory. It's right to point out fault if there is one, but there is a tiny minority on here, led by Andrew, who don't want any reasoned debate, they just want to have a whinge, point the finger and come up with wild allegations.
The proof of the pudding is Boris's popularity in the polls, and I know many who didn't vote for him who think he has done a good job through this crisis. The better he does, the louder they'll moan. You are right it shouldn't be about backslapping, I-told-you-so, or any other form of one-upmanship, but it shouldn't be about perpetual bias either.
I live here too and want the best for the country. Nothing wrong with asking questions or criticising the direction of travel, as long as it’s pertinent. I think the lockdown - if we can even call it that, considering the number of businesses not closing - should have been a week earlier. Ringo provides a link in which the government were described as paralysed with inaction as their herd immunity strategy unravelled before them, and scientists were unable to agree. You’ll note I’m not criticising him for doing well, but for not acting decisively enough. Just asking people not to gather in groups was never going to work, for example.

What he will be judged on is not the polls now, but the ones after the crisis has ended.

Ah - I realise I’ve just repeated what others have said. Sorry.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:31 am

It isn't a lockdown when you consider the list, I knew it sounded too good to be true, 80% of the wage being paid whilst off, near enough every sort of industry you could consider to be part of that list, maybe clothes, everybody within the workplace really is a small vital cog keeping the bigger cog running.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am

I don't care if its described as a snipe or not....but there have been decisions made by Boris and his government that will cost lives.
We should have been on full lockdown sooner and there is still a lot of ambiguity on government definitions as there has been throughout this process. The strategy of giving people a choice to be responsible coupled with ambiguity has meant that the lockdown that we are now approaching (we are still to there with lots of businesses still waiting to see if they are "key workers") has meant that we will have lost at least 2 weeks of potential full lockdown. Given what the government has said itself about how lockdown will impact / reduce the numbers of deaths then their policies and strategy will lead to more deaths than we should have had.

In terms of PPE we are still in a mess. Why would doctors and nurses in hospitals and GPs lie about this ?....They are not - the people who have lied about this are the government. And its not just doctors and nurses who have not been provided with PPE recommended by the World Health authorities but many of our police forces and emergency services have either got no protection whatsoever or the same inadequate protection the health service has been sent. There was a British company who manufacture PPE on the TV this morning - they have approached the British government to see if they need equipment and were refused and as at today the vast majority of their sales have been for overseas countries where demand has increased significantly.

I don't think this is sniping - sniping would be to talk about the 10 years of austerity which have reduced the number of nurses, doctors, police etc. Sniping would be pointing out we have 6 ventilators for every 1000 people when Germany have 30. But I aint going to get into all this as that would be sniping.

As for treating the polls as a barometer of how Boris is doing....that is just down right silly. Maybe they should poll the people on the front line who can see the stark reality of what they are faced with every day rather than polling those people still trying to decide whether they should drink their bottle of Corona ?
These 2 users liked this post: Devils_Advocate Gordaleman

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 am
If you think that then you don't understand this thread. This isn't a balanced view, it's a snipe at Boris view.
Whatever he does, whatever he says he's wrong. If he's right it's only because the Labour Party forced him into that position.

It's a very difficult situation, and there is very little right or wrong because we are walking uncharted territory. It's right to point out fault if there is one, but there is a tiny minority on here, led by Andrew, who don't want any reasoned debate, they just want to have a whinge, point the finger and come up with wild allegations.
The proof of the pudding is Boris's popularity in the polls, and I know many who didn't vote for him who think he has done a good job through this crisis. The better he does, the louder they'll moan. You are right it shouldn't be about backslapping, I-told-you-so, or any other form of one-upmanship, but it shouldn't be about perpetual bias either.
There are two sides as bad as each other. Over the past few years politics seems to have become like supporting a football team for many with rationality having gone out of the window and you must support your side at all costs. I'm not just talking about on here, it's the country in general.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am
I don't care if its described as a snipe or not....but there have been decisions made by Boris and his government that will cost lives.
We should have been on full lockdown sooner and there is still a lot of ambiguity on government definitions as there has been throughout this process. The strategy of giving people a choice to be responsible coupled with ambiguity has meant that the lockdown that we are now approaching (we are still to there with lots of businesses still waiting to see if they are "key workers") has meant that we will have lost at least 2 weeks of potential full lockdown. Given what the government has said itself about how lockdown will impact / reduce the numbers of deaths then their policies and strategy will lead to more deaths than we should have had.

In terms of PPE we are still in a mess. Why would doctors and nurses in hospitals and GPs lie about this ?....They are not - the people who have lied about this are the government. And its not just doctors and nurses who have not been provided with PPE recommended by the World Health authorities but many of our police forces and emergency services have either got no protection whatsoever or the same inadequate protection the health service has been sent. There was a British company who manufacture PPE on the TV this morning - they have approached the British government to see if they need equipment and were refused and as at today the vast majority of their sales have been for overseas countries where demand has increased significantly.

I don't think this is sniping - sniping would be to talk about the 10 years of austerity which have reduced the number of nurses, doctors, police etc. Sniping would be pointing out we have 6 ventilators for every 1000 people when Germany have 30. But I aint going to get into all this as that would be sniping.

As for treating the polls as a barometer of how Boris is doing....that is just down right silly. Maybe they should poll the people on the front line who can see the stark reality of what they are faced with every day rather than polling those people still trying to decide whether they should drink their bottle of Corona ?
Yeah, but Prime Minister Johnson is simply doing exactly, what Prime Minister, Corbyn/Starmer/Swinson would've had to do.

Which is, listening to the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and his team. That advice would have been the same, regardless of who had the keys to Number 10. 

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am
You should hang your head in shame. I neither said or implied anything of the sort.

You were seeking to make political capital by pointing out how popular Boris and the Tories are in the polls at the moment. All I said was that it's not how popular you are at the start of a crisis it's how popular you are at the end that counts. Just like Churchill found out after WW2.
Stop trying to take the moral high ground. Get over yourself. Huff n puff all you like. Your viewpoint is in the minority. Just like with most things on this messageboard. A handful of noisy lefties , endlessly trying to snipe at the government, attempting to score , tribal political points, whatever the government does, is just par for the course on here.

Meanwhile in the real world.....

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:23 pm
Stop trying to take the moral high ground. Get over yourself. Huff n puff all you like. Your viewpoint is in the minority. Just like with most things on this messageboard. A handful of noisy lefties , endlessly trying to snipe at the government, attempting to score , tribal political points, whatever the government does, is just par for the course on here.

Whilst your here Ringo, we've got plenty of time so lets change the subject.

What do you think about the Governments decision to suppress the report on Russian interference in UK elections?

Are you comfortable with that? Don't you think it's a bit fishy? Surely if there is nothing to hide they would have published it?
This user liked this post: Gordaleman

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Yeah, but Prime Minister Johnson is simply doing exactly, what Prime Minister, Corbyn/Starmer/Swinson would've had to do.

Which is, listening to the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and his team. That advice would have been the same, regardless of who had the keys to Number 10. 
Maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t - there is absolutely no way you know what options are being put in front of the government and who is making the final decision. I would be surprised if for example the chief medical officer told Boris to not send any PPE to one police force or GP practice and send it to another - which is exactly what is happening.
At the end of the day the buck stops with Boris and his government - they are the ones making the final decision.

And for clarity if Corbyn, Starmer or anyone else was making the same decisions they should also be criticised / scrutinised and held to account.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

Pathetic (but wholly predictable) comment.
Doesn’t matter what political party is in power if they are making decisions that will cause more deaths than necessary then it feels like that should be open to scrutiny. To use world like “noisy lefties” in a situation like this pretty much sums up your sad existence.
Do you think the doctors, nurses and emergency services who are saying this very thing are all “noisy lefties” ?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

Here he is, rearing his ugly head again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many tenants do you have living rent free now? You’re such a generous landlord :lol:

Grrrrrr :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm
Maybe they would maybe they wouldn’t - there is absolutely no way you know what options are being put in front of the government and who is making the final decision. I would be surprised if for example the chief medical officer told Boris to not send any PPE to one police force or GP practice and send it to another - which is exactly what is happening.
At the end of the day the buck stops with Boris and his government - they are the ones making the final decision.

And for clarity if Corbyn, Starmer or anyone else was making the same decisions they should also be criticised / scrutinised and held to account.
Sorry, not my words, it is an oft-repeated post by one particular Boris apologist who uses it as an excuse to turn a blind eye to his questionable decisions. Thought you may have recognised it (I put it in bold as a bit of a clue)

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:03 pm
Pathetic (but wholly predictable) comment.
Doesn’t matter what political party is in power if they are making decisions that will cause more deaths than necessary then it feels like that should be open to scrutiny. To use world like “noisy lefties” in a situation like this pretty much sums up your sad existence.
Do you think the doctors, nurses and emergency services who are saying this very thing are all “noisy lefties” ?
My daughter works for the NHS counselling children in hospital. She's been told her case load will be temporarily suspended. She'll be given a short period to tie up the admin. Then, she'll be given some very basic training and put on the wards. Not in a medical capacity, but just as a much needed, spare pair of hands, for when the "tsunami" , her manager says is anticipated , comes.

I spoke to her last night after Boris' latest address, and as you can imagine, as a dad , and told her how concerned I am. She's no underlying health issues, that we know of but it doesn't stop me worrying. She told me they've been assured they'll be issued with the appropriate PPE and not to worry.

The conversation moved on and got onto the broader subject of how the government was handling the situation. She felt, as did her partner, "nothing like this has ever happened before has it. I think they're doing a good job to be honest."

Whether you agree, or not. Her opinion reflects what the majority of people feel.

If I thought the sad gaggle of tribal , political snipers on a football message board, merited mentioning to her. Which you're not. I reckon she'd say, "what's the point!?" She may even mention a "sad existence"
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm

I notice you're ignoring my question Ringo. Any particular reason for that?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

How many tenants do you have living rent free now? You’re such a generous landlord :lol:

You appear to be in a parallel universe.

I am not a landlord. (Shrugs shoulders)

Why not stick to what you do best? Upload another picture of a rat.

And this clown claims he teaches A level students.!

Touch of the Walter Mitty here...

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm
Whilst your here Ringo, we've got plenty of time so lets change the subject.

What do you think about the Governments decision to suppress the report on Russian interference in UK elections?

Are you comfortable with that? Don't you think it's a bit fishy? Surely if there is nothing to hide they would have published it?
Yes I agree. They should publish it. It's no biggy.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm
My question -

Are you and those who've constantly criticized the government for its handling of the unprecedented horrendous epidemic on this forum. Out of step with the majority of the British people?

Yes or No?
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Why not stick to what you do best? Upload another picture of a rat.

And this clown claims he teaches A level students.!

Touch of the Walter Mitty here...
Ooooh matron I say he’s getting all angry again! I can sense another ban shortly for this poor soul

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm
Sorry, not my words, it is an oft-repeated post by one particular Boris apologist who uses it as an excuse to turn a blind eye to his questionable decisions. Thought you may have recognised it (I put it in bold as a bit of a clue)
Apologies - I should have known !

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Ooooh matron I say he’s getting all angry again! I can sense another ban shortly for this poor soul

You're getting anger and mocking mixed up.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pm
You're getting anger and mocking mixed up.
Grrrrr :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

My contribution to this discussion is simply to observe that many people live in abusive relationships, many others have existing mental health problems, many kids have neglect, many adults and kids need exercise for their continued health. It isn’t unreasonable to expect that after a lockdown we will get a surge in mental ill health, unemployment and divorce. These aren’t easy decisions, and can’t be judged afterwards solely on Covid deaths.

The epidemiological modelling will weigh up these costs with the benefits (i.e. reduced transmission). They clearly thought up till now that transmission would be reduced with sensible measures, with the best outcome to overall society, but some knobs carried on going to beaches etc.

We are right to probe and ask for answers, but the science is evolving and it seems to make sense for Boris to follow the science and choose the path with the best life outcomes for society a a whole. Rather him than me.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Brilliant !

He'll have the council calling round checking up on overcrowding at this rate.... :lol:

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Apologies - I should have known !
Cat got your tongue ?

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:31 pm
Yes I agree. They should publish it. It's no biggy.
How do you know it's not a biggy? The fact that they are refusing to release it suggests otherwise.

Would you have been quite so relaxed about it if it was a Labour government suppressing a report into communist intereference in UK elections? Do you think the Telegraph, Mail, Express etc would sweep it under the carpet in the same way they are doing now for the Tories?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:38 pm
Brilliant !

He'll have the council calling round checking up on overcrowding at this rate.... :lol:
You appear to have missed this.
RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Jumps the gun . Falls flat on face......
This user liked this post: Damo

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:24 pm
My daughter works for the NHS counselling children in hospital. She's been told her case load will be temporarily suspended. She'll be given a short period to tie up the admin. Then, she'll be given some very basic training and put on the wards. Not in a medical capacity, but just as a much needed, spare pair of hands, for when the "tsunami" , her manager says is anticipated , comes.

I spoke to her last night after Boris' latest address, and as you can imagine, as a dad , and told her how concerned I am. She's no underlying health issues, that we know of but it doesn't stop me worrying. She told me they've been assured they'll be issued with the appropriate PPE and not to worry.

The conversation moved on and got onto the broader subject of how the government was handling the situation. She felt, as did her partner, "nothing like this has ever happened before has it. I think they're doing a good job to be honest."

Whether you agree, or not. Her opinion reflects what the majority of people feel.

If I thought the sad gaggle of tribal , political snipers on a football message board, merited mentioning to her. Which you're not. I reckon she'd say, "what's the point!?" She may even mention a "sad existence"
Great that your daughter feels assured that the PPE is on its way - but with all due respect (for your daughter rather than you) that is not what the medical council or Royal council of GPS are saying or the Police federation.
Neither is it what my wife who is a nurse is saying or my daughter who is a policewoman on the frontline and has been given absolutely no PPE - not even the inadequate shite that don’t meet with the world health organisation recommendations (but are a lot cheaper to produce than the correct PPE).
So my educated guess is that your daughter is in the very small minority in the health and emergency services who feel assured by the government. Do you even watch the news ? Why do you think we are having people from these professions and who represent them saying that the government response is not enough ?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm
How do you know it's not a biggy? The fact that they are refusing to release it suggests otherwise.

Would you have been quite so relaxed about it if it was a Labour government suppressing a report into communist intereference in UK elections? Do you think the Telegraph, Mail, Express etc would sweep it under the carpet in the same way they are doing now for the Tories?
You've missunderstood why I said "it's no biggy" to be fair.

I meant should be no biggy for it to be released.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:41 pm

My question to you.

Any chance of an answer?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Rent - free, as free as the wind blows...
In the head that is Ringo's,
we're all rent - free.

With apologies to Matt Monro. ;)

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 pm
Great that your daughter feels assured that the PPE is on its way - but with all due respect (for your daughter rather than you) that is not what the medical council or Royal council of GPS are saying or the Police federation.
Neither is it what my wife who is a nurse is saying or my daughter who is a policewoman on the frontline and has been given absolutely no PPE - not even the inadequate shite that don’t meet with the world health organisation recommendations (but are a lot cheaper to produce than the correct PPE).
So my educated guess is that your daughter is in the very small minority in the health and emergency services who feel assured by the government. Do you even watch the news ? Why do you think we are having people from these professions and who represent them saying that the government response is not enough ?
Yes I do.

And I see Prime Minister that looks knackered. He's got the weight of a whole country on his shoulders.
As do, presumably the majority of the British people who , by all accounts feel the government is making a decent fist of it.

He's been handed a poisoned chalice of a job.

Unfortunately, for him, he's not in the priveleged position of sitting behind his keyboard and posting snipey remarks on an irrelevant football message board.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm

Our resident gaggle of Keyboard Prime Ministers are out in force this aft aren't they!

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm
Our resident gaggle of Keyboard Prime Ministers are out in force this aft aren't they!
You okay hun?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:03 pm
Coming from you that is beyond irony.

Why don’t you answer the actual question as to why you think the medical and emergency services are saying that the government’s response in the area of PPE is nowhere near adequate ?

Given the literally thousands of posts you have put on this board asking people to answer the question why don’t you do as you preach so often and so tediously.

Actually scrap that - don’t bother answering it. This will just end up another thread you ruin. I’m happy in the knowledge that you continue to be the only person who thinks that the government response in this area is adequate - it shows you up for what you are.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:26 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:21 pm
Coming from you that is beyond irony.

Why don’t you answer the actual question as to why you think the medical and emergency services are saying that the government’s response in the area of PPE is nowhere near adequate ?

Given the literally thousands of posts you have put on this board asking people to answer the question why don’t you do as you preach so often and so tediously.

Actually scrap that - don’t bother answering it. This will just end up another thread you ruin. I’m happy in the knowledge that you continue to be the only person who thinks that the government response in this area is adequate - it shows you up for what you are.
Couldn't agree more

I am in line with the opinion of the majority of British people. Who despite how much you want to wish it otherwise, believe the government is doing a decent job. Given the unprecedented , unenviable, horrendous situation.

No matter how much you and your desperate band of Boris Bashing, noisy , sniping , tribal point scoring lefties stamp your trotters, on a football message. It wont make a blind bit of difference!

When will the penny drop?
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Cryssys wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:28 pm
I did answer yours to be fair

My question -

Are you and those who've constantly criticized the government for its handling of the unprecedented horrendous epidemic on this football forum. Out of step with the majority of the British people?

Yes or No?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:37 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm
You okay hun?

I'm reight as rain sweet cheeks.

Looking at your recent outbursts. Its you that sounds like they're having some sort of self isolation break down.

Landlord!? WTF!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Having seen photos of the tube today, the government isn’t at all doing enough to keep people away from each other. Why allow Sports Direct to open? Why leave it up to them to choose to close? If the government wants to achieve a majority of people self isolating, and asking people nicely isn’t working, then stronger measures have to be taken. They have to rid themselves of their free market instincts for the duration. There are hundreds of thousands of people abroad and the remaining airlines cancelling flights. These people are only going to get home if the government makes it happen. Acting in concert with other governments, this should not be a difficult task.

The free market cannot function when you want as many people as possible to stay home and not mingle with others. It’s the governments job now to reassure people they won’t be saddled with months worth of rent, mortgage, or even credit card payments if they remain at home. With this the government would no longer need to worry about paying people 80% of their salary (which itself is a load of faff) because they could simply pay out the same living allowance to everyone. Put price controls into place, and rationing, and it’ll work. Everyone will understand that the business of prospering has to be put on hold, so nobody actually needs more money - what are you going to spend it on anyway? The money they dole out as a living allowance doesn’t even have to be in Sterling. It could be an entirely different currency for use only with essentials, with an expiry date if need be. And because we’re a sovereign nation, we can create it from nothing.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 pm

The lack of self awareness is hilarious.
The very “football message board / forum” you keep on sniping at its irrelevance (and I agree it is irrelevant) is the same board that you spent most of your sad existence of a life on.

You still have made no attempt whatsoever to answer the specific question on PPE and why you think the medical profession is critical of the government or why you think that your view is anything but in a minority on this issue.

Which penny dropping are you talking about ? You seriously think that because they won an election that they are not open to criticism because these are unprecedented times ? Even the government themselves have said they are happy to be scrutinised - and when they are lying about PPE that’s exactly what the medical profession and police are telling them.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Eight and a half thousand posts on an irrelevant football messageboard/forum.................. :lol:

Busy lad.

How do we apply for the rent "holiday" Our Glorious Leader promised ?
RingoRigsby.jpg
RingoRigsby.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 2197 times

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Anyway, back to the important stuff.
I'm assuming Johnson's press conference will begin with a big thank you to the nation for their adherence to government instructions.
After that, I'm hoping for some updates, some real figures and, perhaps, projections of where we're likely to be in a few days' time.
No waffle, no guesswork, just information where possible.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:32 pm

"We should all basically just go about our normal daily lives" - March 3rd press conference

From that to a national lock down in 20 days.
This didn't sneak up on us, we had all the data from China, Italy and the rest of the world who were ahead of us in this crisis and they did next to nothing. Worse than nothing they offered the wrong advise about herd immunity before U-Turning when the data showed them how catastrophic it would be.

Utterly inexcusable, the government has blood on it's hands.
This user liked this post: TVC15

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:41 pm

Spot on.
And to add insult to this they ask thousands of nurses, doctors and police to risk there lives everyday and cannot even give them the right protection - or in many cases any protection.
Totally indefensible.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:32 pm
"We should all basically just go about our normal daily lives" - March 3rd press conference

From that to a national lock down in 20 days.
This didn't sneak up on us, we had all the data from China, Italy and the rest of the world who were ahead of us in this crisis and they did next to nothing. Worse than nothing they offered the wrong advise about herd immunity before U-Turning when the data showed them how catastrophic it would be.

Utterly inexcusable, the government has blood on it's hands.
I'm not even sure they've done a u-turn on the herd immunity. They haven't really done much to stop people going about their "normal daily lives" since they (supposedly) changed their minds on it.

Cryssys

Post by Cryssys » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:43 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
My question -

Are you and those who've constantly criticised the government for its handling of the unprecedented horrendous epidemic on this forum. Out of step with the majority of the British people?

Yes or No?
If you had read my posts you would know that I haven't constantly criticised the Government for it's handling of the Corona crisis.

I think that he’s doing a reasonable job in the circumstances. The economic measures announced have gone further than I expected and that deserve a pat on the back.

The real problem I have with him is that I simply don’t trust him and he’s only got himself to blame for that. He’s a serial liar and has a history of changing his mind when it suits him to do so. He’s very good at talking the talk but can he walk the walk.

We are only at the start of this, what the government does over the next weeks and months will be critical and the country will deliver its verdict in due course.

claret3561
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Christ almighty, ive only read this page and the stupidity of some people is unbelievable, how can the government be blamed for any of this. People suggesting we should have locked down 20 days ago ffs, we couldn't stop people going to the beach this Sunday. Thousands of holiday makers over the last month flew abroad without a care, not taking seriously what was happening right in front of them and now complain they cant get back. The government cant be held responsible for people's stupidity nor can they magically counjere up ppe, testing kits and ventilators. All this takes time. Instead or whinging and whining let's just get behind them and start doing what they ask us to do and eventually we will come through this.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:02 pm

claret3561 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Christ almighty, ive only read this page and the stupidity of some people is unbelievable, how can the government be blamed for any of this. People suggesting we should have locked down 20 days ago ffs, we couldn't stop people going to the beach this Sunday. Thousands of holiday makers over the last month flew abroad without a care, not taking seriously what was happening right in front of them and now complain they cant get back. The government cant be held responsible for people's stupidity nor can they magically counjere up ppe, testing kits and ventilators. All this takes time. Instead or whinging and whining let's just get behind them and start doing what they ask us to do and eventually we will come through this.
Just one example from an emailed leaked today raising the question many are asking around why government moved so late to ramp up #COVID19 testing. The email shows just how far behind curve the govt has been on increasing testing capacity