Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Re: Charlton Athletic - frying pan into fire?

Post by bfcjg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:29 pm
What a total mess this has become. Where on earth can they go from here?
Yet another real warning to Clarets who are obsessed in getting owners who are not Burnley supporters.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:45 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm
Yet another real warning to Clarets who are obsessed in getting owners who are not Burnley supporters.
It’s definitely a warning. Sometimes potential new owners can look perfect but too often they don’t work out that way. So many problems over recent years at too many clubs and there always seem to be some in crisis. Charlton are probably the worst just now.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:28 am

Charlton Supporters Trust trying to get organised in case they need to move fast to save the club - pulling together names and and contact details - they are right to be prepared - though I think the club may be too big to be run by supporters if other examples in this country are anything to go by. - they could keep it running in League one for a while - though the irony is that they would need to form an agreement with Duchatelet as he still owns the Valley and the training ground.

https://www.castrust.org/ourclub/

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:51 am

They do seem very passionate supporters at Charlton, feel sorry that they have been messed about so much by the different owners.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 am

Occupied the boardroom, yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53875458

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:46 am

Given the last few years at Charlton I would imagine there have been some interesting goings on in the boardroom

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:48 am

Reading that BBC report it sounds a total mess a couple of titbits.

Nimer and Southall reportedly paid £1 to buy the club from previous owner Roland Duchatelet, who still owns The Valley and the club's training ground.

If the previous owner still owns the stadium and training ground what exactly were they buying, and if Elliott and Farnell failed the fit and proper owner test there must be doubt over their character, I could be wrong but it's the first time to my knowledge anyone has ever been disqualified from taking over the reins at an EFL club, and there's been some dubious owners in the past.

Normally I wouldn't approve of direct action, but in this case I can fully sympathise with the Charlton fans, all these charlatans are taking them for a ride, and I would be very wary about any of their intentions.

Just hope they can finally get some stability at the helm, Charlton used to be a model club for others to emulate, and their community roots are strong.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am

Appears that the club can now be sold - again, following court ruling against Paul Elliott - please let it be to someone who can run things sensibly and get the fans onboard - which will be difficult as they will be very suspicious of anyone I would assume

Charlton Athletic can be taken over after Paul Elliott injunction refused
By Simon Stone
BBC Sport
Last updated on1 September 20201 September 2020.

A takeover of Charlton Athletic can go ahead after businessman Paul Elliott was denied an injunction to prevent the sale of the club to any other party.

Elliott argued his agreement to buy East Street Investments should remain while he appeals against the Football League's decision to reject his bid to pass its owners and directors' test.

After the hearing obscenities were aimed at him by members of the public.

Possible buyer Thomas Sandgaard was at Charlton's EFL Trophy tie on Tuesday.

Judge Richard Pearce delivered his verdict after a hearing lasting nearly four hours. The hearing was delayed by more than an hour after the huge number of Charlton fans trying to access the remote hearing blocked the system - at one stage neither the judge nor Elliott were able to gain access.

Judge Pearce does believe a court hearing should take place to rule on the validity of Elliott's claim regarding the ownership of East Street Investments but said there was "a very real risk Charlton Athletic Football Club could suffer extremely severe consequences if it was not possible for a purchaser to be found for the company".

He added that if he granted an injunction and Elliott's appeal failed, there was a risk an alternative buyer could be turned away, placing the club at risk.

As the decision was announced, Sandgaard, the US-based Dane, who has made no secret of his desire to buy Charlton, was watching the club in their EFL Trophy defeat by AFC Wimbledon.

During the hearing, both the witness statement of Charlton director Marian Mihail and conduct of the club's former solicitor Chris Farnell were questioned.

Judge Pearce said he took Mihail's dire warnings about the entire future of the club - if an injunction was granted - with "a pinch of salt". He also said the evidence presented "at least raises questions as to whether he [Farnell] is in any way conflicted and acted inconsistently".

While both sides said there was willing to move towards a speedy court hearing, Judge Pearce said it could not be heard until November at the earliest.

Despite Sandgaard's public statements, he said he had seen no evidence to indicate a sale was imminent.

Judge Pearce said that at one point there had been more than 200 people watching proceedings.

He added: "Many of the people who remain on this call are frankly appalled by their beloved football club being dealt with as a commercial asset. I am afraid to say that is the reality of modern football."

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:52 pm

The always excellent Football Today Podcast ask s- what has gone wrong at Charlton Athletic

https://www.footballtodaypodcast.com/po ... n-athletic

makes for an interesting refresher on the background to how they have got to where they are now

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:04 am

Are things finally looking up for Charlton - room for cautious optimism as latest bidder claims to have put his money where his mouth is

https://twitter.com/SandgaardThomas/sta ... 0763567105

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:29 am

they say "It is the hope that kills you" Sandgaard hopeful that he can buy the club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54149645

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:57 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm
so you are suggesting that if someone is a Burnley fan they are likely to be less reckless with decisions ?

They (we) decided to be Burnley fans..........decision making is questionable from the get go !! :D :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Chester Perry vancouverclaret

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:41 am

From the what?

No

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Missed this yesterday - the courts make life at Charlton yet more complicated - from the BBC

Charlton Athletic: Paul Elliott granted sale injunction of League One club
By Simon Stone BBC Sport
Last updated on17 September 202017 September 2020.

Businessman Paul Elliott has succeeded in his appeal to be granted an injunction to block the sale of League One club Charlton Athletic until a court case to determine his claim on the club is held on 23 November.

The decision was made by Lord Justice Lewison after a two-hour hearing, in which Paul Chaisty QC, acting on behalf of Elliott, said failure to grant an injunction would render the ownership case pointless given current owner Tahnoon Nimer, through his East Street Investments (ESI) company, could sell the club in the meantime.

During proceedings there was reference made to the attempts of US-based Danish businessman Thomas Sandgaard to buy the club, but no actual evidence was put forward to establish the status of any ongoing negotiations.

Sandgaard has previously indicated that he feels he can continue with his plans no matter the outcome of the case.

Further complicating the club's sale is the fact that former owner Roland Duchatelet still has control over Charlton's stadium and its training ground.

A statement presented to the court by Charlton director of football Steve Gallen, warning of the consequences of an injunction being granted - including the likely extension of a English Football League ban on the Addicks being allowed to buy players - was dismissed by Lord Justice Lewison.

That transfer embargo, it was decided, was put in place by the EFL after ESI failed to provide proof it had sufficient funds to run the club when its original takeover took place in January.

Lord Justice Lewison said the initial decision not to grant the injunction had been wrong and related to 'muddled hypothesis' over what was being ruled upon.

The decision will be greeted with dismay by Charlton fans, who have made it clear they do not want Elliott, or his close associate and former club solicitor Chris Farnell, attached to their club.

Both men have appealed against an EFL decision to reject their application to be passed as an owner or director, meaning neither can be involved in the running of the club.

Manchester-based Elliott has already put £500,000 into Charlton to pay wages, although as ESI has not put money in, it is not clear how the club intends to pay its bills before the November trial.

Elliott has agreed to provide up to £50,000 in compensation should it be found that he is not the rightful owner and ESI prove they have lost out financially due to the delay.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:58 pm

there are reports that Charlton are in new hands - I make it the 4th set in 13 months

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... acker.html

EFL are being cautious because of the subject of my previous post, but confirm the suggested new owner is acceptable to them

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/september ... -athletic/

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Companies House confirm EDI interest in Charlton has ended

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 3935970304

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 pm

This is a one way to looking at the Charlton experience

https://twitter.com/uglygame/status/1309488730898661377

for all Duchalet's faults he made sure everyone got paid

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:22 am

Statement from the Trust in response to a statement from Paul Elliott yesterday

ELLIOTT STATEMENT: ARE WE BOVVERED?
Thu Nov 12 2020
Manchester businessman Paul Elliott issued the following statement on Thursday:

"Charlton takeover:

The club's legal department have been issued with a notice to order Thomas Sandgaard to ‘leave the club’. Lex Dominus, the company owned by Paul Elliott, has been granted ownership of ESI which was the holding company for Charlton.

Elliott says-The former directors of East Street Investments, had no authority to sell anything to anyone, not least agree the sale of Charlton Athletic Football Club to Mr Thomas Sandgaard,” “Put simply, it was not their asset to sell. “We have written to the club lawyers asking them to inform Mr Sandgaard immediately, and the English Football League. We never wanted to get to this position, and we certainly do not wish to cause further distress or disruption to Charlton Athletic or its supporters. We always argued that we had a legal agreement to purchase the club and that has now been justified by the making of the court order. Mr Sandgaard has been given notice to leave the club immediately. We, as always, remain willing to talk, but we also reserve the right to assert our legal ownership of the club."

CAST is conscious that fans may be worried about this. We want to clarify a few things. Short version: we're not worried.

Lex Dominus's statement amounts to nothing more than that they have sent a letter to the club asking Thomas Sandgaard to leave. It is not a "notice" or anything with legal status, nor does asking him to "leave the club" have any legal meaning. It is just a letter.

We believe that Panorama Magic ceased to engage lawyers some time ago, and the underlying claim (for the transfer of shares in ESI to Lex Dominus) has subsequently been determined in LD's favour. It is our understanding that it is correct that Lex Dominus have therefore obtained an order which states that they are entitled to have the shareholding in ESI transferred to them.

Remember, though, that ESI no longer owns anything, as far as we are aware. The shares in CAFC were sold by ESI to Thomas Sandgaard's company. LD being entitled to have the shares in ESI transferred to it means that it holds the shares in ESI, and not the shares in CAFC.

It is our view that the final sentence in Elliott's statement gets to the crux of the matter. It is an attempt by the infamous cast of characters to continue to treat our football club as their plaything, and to try to pressure Thomas Sandgaard into a payout. If they issue a claim, we have no doubt that he will defend it vigorously.

For now, we know what we would do with their letter, but other suggestions welcome!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 pm

More shenanigans surrounding the opportunistic individuals trying to gain control at Charlton - Paul Elliot it appears has given up - yeay - but someone else has bought his business with the claims (which are heavily disputed) over the club's ownership

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/cardiff- ... -athletic/

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:36 pm
More shenanigans surrounding the opportunistic individuals trying to gain control at Charlton - Paul Elliot it appears has given up - yeay - but someone else has bought his business with the claims (which are heavily disputed) over the club's ownership

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/cardiff- ... -athletic/
I’ve spoken with my Charlton contacts as recently as this morning and there appeared to be no concerns from them. I’ll assume that Farnell is involved in this too. From what I have learned I don’t see this going anywhere.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:11 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:50 pm
I’ve spoken with my Charlton contacts as recently as this morning and there appeared to be no concerns from them. I’ll assume that Farnell is involved in this too. From what I have learned I don’t see this going anywhere.
I am just stunned that someone is willing to stump up money for this business on such a slim hope of gaining the control of the club.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:30 pm

Still catching up on what I missed inthe last few weeks

I seem to remember Charlton fans having great hope for new owner Thomas Sandgaard when he arrived - elliott and Farnell he was not. However, the Valley is still far from being a happy camp it seems

Charlton Athletic: Fans' group give owner Thomas Sandgaard club charter ultimatum
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63987627

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:54 pm

Piece in the Athletic ahead of the cup Game against Man Utd

Charlton Athletic: A club stuck in a continually chaotic cycle
https://archive.is/G44vE

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:54 pm
Piece in the Athletic ahead of the cup Game against Man Utd

Charlton Athletic: A club stuck in a continually chaotic cycle
https://archive.is/G44vE
I remember speaking to Heather McKinlay around the time of that last takeover and they were full of optimism.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:41 pm

While all the focus on the column by Matt Slater in the Athletic this morning has been in regard to the Sheffield United takeover - it actually contained quite a bit about a new takeover at Charlton, could it be that the title of this thread is still going to be relevant 3 takeovers later?

Bellingham future, Man United and Liverpool takeovers, Charlton’s £10m buyout
https://archive.is/N29aB

Happy Valley? Charlton set for £10m buyout by US group led by former Sunderland co-owner Methven

Charlton Athletic have been the victims of almost every ill that bad ownership can bring.

But things may be looking up for the League One side, on and off the field. A 2-1 win at Exeter City on Saturday was the fourth in five games, a spell of form that has taken them from 19th to 12th.

That improvement started soon after December 20, when the club announced four key hires: a new manager in Dean Holden, ex-Sunderland CEO Jim Rodwell as chief operating officer, technical director Andy Scott and Ed Warrick as finance director.

If this seemed like uncharacteristically bold and decisive action from the club’s US-based owner Thomas Sandgaard, it is because it was: the appointments were all recommendations from a group that is set to buy Charlton from Sandgaard in the coming days.

The group is led by Charlie Methven, the former journalist and PR man who became a co-owner of Sunderland in 2018. That experience did not go so well, as viewers of the Netflix documentary Sunderland ‘Til I Die will remember, but the Old Etonian certainly has experience of trying to revive a dozing giant.
Charlie Methven, Sunderland

Methven and Warrick are partners in a takeover vehicle called SE7 Partners, SE7 being Charlton’s London postcode, and their group includes Simon Lenagan. Methven was an advisor to Simon’s father Ian Lenagan when he owned Oxford United a decade ago.

But most of the money for the purchase of the club, which is costing about £10million, is coming from a group of US investors who have previously owned a Major League Soccer franchise.

Promotion looks unlikely this season but a return to the Championship will be the Anglo-American group’s primary goal in 2024. Once there, serious consideration can be given to fixing one of Charlton’s long-standing problems: the fact that they are a tenant at their stadium and training ground.
Former owner Roland Duchatelet still owns those property assets but the club is only paying him £500,000 a year in rent, so buying the them back off the 76-year-old Belgian is not a priority for the time being.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:03 pm

Charlie Methven and running a football club = beware!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:07 pm

claretburns wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:03 pm
Charlie Methven and running a football club = beware!
It will be interesting to see what he has learned and what lessons (if any) he puts into practice at Charlton. Though he personally made a reasonable bit of money out of Sunderland, certainly enough to make him want to do it again and that alone may well be enough reason for him to believe he was right all along.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:37 pm

it never rains but it pours for Charlton fans, though not having Charlie Methven in charge would seem a good thing to many

Prospective Charlton takeover collapses after owner pulls out
https://archive.is/BEDee

and this might be the reason the owner pulled out of the deal he had lined up with Charlie

New Charlton takeover talks despite Charlie Methven legal threat
https://archive.is/78nkz#selection-309.0-309.64

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed May 03, 2023 4:06 pm

this news is not that surprising

Charlton takeover: Improved offer rejected from former Sunderland director Charlie Methven
https://archive.is/mnlG3

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:29 pm

Following the recent completing of the takeover at Sunderland there are people with money to spend and it appears to be going the way of Charlton - far from convinced this is good news for the fans

SE7 PARTNERS AGREE DEAL TO PURCHASE CLUB
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/se7-pa ... chase-club

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:37 pm

Charlie Methven became a divisive figure at Sunderland

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:41 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:29 pm
Following the recent completing of the takeover at Sunderland there are people with money to spend and it appears to be going the way of Charlton - far from convinced this is good news for the fans

SE7 PARTNERS AGREE DEAL TO PURCHASE CLUB
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/se7-pa ... chase-club
and as the deal goes through the new owners transfer their principal organisation to the Cayman Islands- football ownership has become a huge pile of dung, these groups appear to reside in such locations at least as much for the opacity it provides as for the tax benefits

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... Sl4p4uAAAA

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:08 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:41 am
and as the deal goes through the new owners transfer their principal organisation to the Cayman Islands- football ownership has become a huge pile of dung, these groups appear to reside in such locations at least as much for the opacity it provides as for the tax benefits

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... Sl4p4uAAAA
The suspicion is that Methven has already sold Charlton on

https://twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/1 ... aB754uAAAA