Shout Out for Great North Pie Co & Stuff

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
WilmslowClaret
Been Liked: 6 times

Shout Out for Great North Pie Co & Stuff

Post by WilmslowClaret » Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 am

I’ve been a supporter of ‘The Clarets’ since the early seventies, (at least before 1972) as I recall training as an undergraduate in Cheshire (academic year 1972-73) and I used to drive up the ‘old’ A56 from Wilmslow to Burnley on alternate Saturdays for a home game and stand on the Bee Hole End. Recently, during lockdown, I’ve been intrigued by a couple of posts: ‘Do you have family and friends who don’t support Burnley ?’ (by tiger76) and ‘Butter Pies’ (by conyoviejo). I am one of five sons, born in 1949, and I grew up on the Essex-Hertfordshire boarder along with my siblings. To the first post, my eldest brother is a PNE supporter, my second, Man City, the third Man Utd and myself and younger brother support ‘The Clarets’. It was my younger brother (now 66 and living in the USA) who got me into supporting ‘The Clarets’ He visits the UK 2-3 times a year, usually to coincide with a home fixture and we have a nostalgic visit to the Turf pre-empted by lunch in the friendly atmosphere of The Woodman. From a very early age we all had, and continue to have, a keen interest in the teams we have supported for many years and in football more generally. To answer the question – yes it is possible to have family (and friends) who don’t support Burnley and to share an interest in football more generally. What strikes me is that I don’t share the passionate dislike of other Lancashire football teams (e.g Blackburn, PNE, Bolton) and I put this down to not growing up in East Lancs and not being part of that ‘tribal’ atmosphere from an early age.
The second post that ‘caught my eye’ was about pies. As I’ve come to learn (having lived in Cheshire for 42 years) ‘Northerners’ are passionate and very knowledgeable about their pies! Perhaps it is hard to imagine, but growing up in the South, and in a large family, I have no recollection of having pies as part of our staple diet! However, it seems that ‘Classic British’ dishes, including pies, have now become even more popular and we as a family enjoy our pies like many others. Our favourite, is a local pie company https://greatnorthpie.co who are based in Wilmslow and serve Cheshire, Derbyshire, parts of Staffordshire and The Wirral. The reason why I mention them is because I have just noticed they are now (presumably because of COVID-19?) providing nationwide, online ordering and deliveries so it may be possible for fellow ‘Clarets’ in North East Lancs and further afield to share in our indulgence. UTC

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5093 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Re: Shout Out for Great North Pie Co & Stuff

Post by bfcjg » Thu May 28, 2020 12:53 pm

They look tasty but £4 for a pie is steep.