Burnley plan to take the knee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Re: Burnley plan to take the knee

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 pm
You've had a mare, but well done for the swift backtracking. At least that's something I suppose.
Think had a mare is an understatement. Crikey.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 pm
Maybe you only recognise racism when you're the victim of it then. I can't think of any other reason for the mammoth hole you've got yourself into above.
Absolutely not, im aware racists come in all shapes, sizes and colours.

Also I hope that people can be educated so that just because they were once a fool, made a mistake or were naive, they can learn from them and become educated and see it's wrong.

I'm sure theres many a 50+ year old who said, acted or thought some horrible things back in the day they regret and have learnt from.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 pm
You've had a mare, but well done for the swift backtracking. At least that's something I suppose.
No back tracking, I dont really watch Scottish football so doubt I'd have seen it, but happy to be proven wrong.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm
Think had a mare is an understatement. Crikey.
And to think some believe this message should be left over in America.

We have a sizeable portion here who need to hear it loud and clear.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm nil_desperandum

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:12 pm
I can’t believe how snowflakey this site has become. First the statues and now getting upset with people kneeling. Get a grip people.
It's a bit more complex than that.

This is all very reactionary in a time where people imo are probably at their most fragile mentally.

It's easy to shrug it off but you must ask where it stops?

Or how long till free speech is all but gone? Ideas people don't like/not mainstream rhetoric being deemed as 'hate speech'.

You may laugh but it's a slippery slope.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:10 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 pm
No back tracking, I dont really watch Scottish football so doubt I'd have seen it, but happy to be proven wrong.
You saw the image of it on this thread.

Yanquiclaret
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Yanquiclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

A depressingly large number of people outing themselves as racists here today. I am not surprised but it is still depressing. A sad number of people everywhere, not just here, have no understanding of the privilege being white confers on a person. Many white people have hard lives but a hard life is a lot harder if you are not white. Not just in the USA are black people disproportionately affected by police violence, employment discrimination etc. Many white folk simply choose to ignore those truths.

Everything that is happening, Kneeling, Black lives Matter on the shirt, is being done at the request of players. The captains of the Premier league teams have been in contact with each other over the lock down. Ben Mee called Kneeling and the shirts as a great opportunity for us as players to show racism does not belong in society and our game. He called it a great idea which we all believe in and we are all onboard with it massively. That should be the end of the discussion. Ben certainly appeared to be one of the leaders among the captains when Jordan Henderson was leading premier league players while they were being foolishly criticised by the government.

Burnley players are active in the community helping the less fortunate. Even around Burnley a lot of those people are not white. They are mostly working class lads who have worked very hard and know how fortunate they are. They work in a far more racially integrated conditions than most of the rest of us. We all could learn a lot from their acceptance of mates from very divergent backgrounds.
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Greenmile longsidepies

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:10 pm
And to think some believe this message should be left over in America.

We have a sizeable portion here who need to hear it loud and clear.
Happy to not only hear but join in as well.... As long as its not from that organisation.

Sorry but their approach/MO isn't unifying at all.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
You saw the image of it on this thread.
Oh thought you meant I saw the game initially, that's when the questions got asked, 3 years ago I think he said.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm
Oh thought you meant I saw the game initially, that's when the questions got asked, 3 years ago I think he said.
Time for bed, MACCA.

Another absolute stinker.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm

Yanquiclaret wrote:
A sad number of people everywhere, not just here, have no understanding of the privilege being white confers on a person. Many white people have hard lives but a hard life is a lot harder if you are not white. Not just in the USA are black people disproportionately affected by police violence, employment discrimination etc. Many white folk simply choose to ignore those truths.
Like affirmative action?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Yanquiclaret wrote:
A depressingly large number of people outing themselves as racists here today. I am not surprised but it is still depressing. A sad number of people everywhere,
Absolutely, and just because someone holds a BLM banner doesnt make them not a racist themselves.

Many white people suffer abuse too, think all races suffer racial abuse off a number of various other races.
Extreamely sad.
No ones born a racist, the whole world needs to take responsibility for making a change.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 pm
It’s not a grammar debate, I wonder what you meant when you said some people don’t want to see ‘this’ is a domestic American issue.
The use of 'this' is not difficult in the English language. It's an extremely common word and crops up often.

There's a very easy quote function if you truly want me to answer which particular usage of the word 'this' was so difficult for you to work out.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Time for bed, MACCA.

Another absolute stinker.
Depends wha you're judging as "a stinker"

Ones mans trash is another mans treasure.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

This is all very reactionary in a time where people imo are probably at their most fragile mentally.

Or how long till free speech is all but gone? Ideas people don't like/not mainstream rhetoric being deemed as 'hate speech'.

Why do you want to know “where it stops” ?
Is that important to you ?....especially when you seem to believe it’s gone too far already.

If everyone needed to know exactly where it was going to end when they were trying to bring about transformational change in society nothing would ever get done.

It’s the kind of rhetoric used by many people in history who were strongly opposed to giving away any power or influence from those who had it....or more equality, democracy etc

And yep the “free speech being all but gone” is one of the most used pieces of rhetoric and guess what it’s still not happened after all these years people saying it’s under threat or will disappear if we do x or y.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:20 pm

CoolClaret wrote:

Of course it's more complex, my statement was a little tongue in cheek. But I've found the amount of outrage on here over the past weeks over various rather trivial incidents very amusing. More so because the people who seem to be getting their knickers in a twist are usually they first to call others snowflakes.

I guess 'it', whatever that might be, stops when racism stops - I don't have a problem with that.

Funny that you mention free speech. This is a thread about footballer players deciding to make a statement on their own free will. This is literally the same as free speech yet you're questioning their actions. Don't you see the hypocrisy?

What you refer to as a slippery slope I see as positive change. The idea of change may concern you, but that is why these backwards views and behaviour still exist in society. If you agree with freedom of speech then you should agree with people's right to stand up (or kneel down) to racism.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm
Depends wha you're judging as "a stinker"

Ones mans trash is another mans treasure.
If you're going as low your posts tonight, I think you'll be disappointed if it's treasure you're looking for.

I know you like to drop a few and revel in your haul, but there are standards.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:20 pm

I guess 'it', whatever that might be, stops when racism stops - I don't have a problem with that.

Funny that you mention free speech. This is a thread about footballer players deciding to make a statement on their own free will. This is literally the same as free speech yet you're questioning their actions. Don't you see the hypocrisy?
It's hardly free speech knowing that if one player didn't conform they'd be smeared as a racist. That's a 'conform or gone' sort of culture.

It doesn't matter a jot what that individual has done up until that point they would be defined by that - is that not concerning? For not wanting to do something that ultimately doesn't really do anything.

It will never end once you give in, it becomes everything gets cancelled that doesn't fit the rhetoric.

There are plenty of black people out there that look at some recent incidents like the coco pops/uncle Ben nonsense & people that are trying to do their thinking for them utterly bamboozled.

Why aren't we hearing any views in the mainstream from any half decent black intellects? Just 'celebrities' and the like..... I wonder what Malcolm X would have to say about all that?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 pm
If you're going as low your posts tonight, I think you'll be disappointed if it's treasure you're looking for.

I know you like to drop a few and revel in your haul, but there are standards.

So dispise and despose of the pike, some appreciate everything about them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tomorrows a new day.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm

TVC15 wrote:
It’s the kind of rhetoric used by many people in history who were strongly opposed to giving away any power or influence from those who had it....or more equality, democracy etc
Well democracy right now is an 80 seat lead to the Tories with the loonie left doing anything they can to facilitate change!

BLM the group isn't just about ending racism, it's a full political entity, one read of their MO is enough to see that.

Also the rhetoric that you're saying is also very similar to the Bolsheveiks or Puritans....

Doesn't fit our view = destroy

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:33 pm

bobinho wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 pm
He quite obviously doesn’t prefer racism. Stop being a ****.
Quite a few like to read or see what isnt there.

There's only so many times you can be in the debate, ask questions whilst also condemning things before you get bored.
I'm not sure what some people want or expect

Ask silly questions, get silly answers

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
It's hardly free speech knowing that if one player didn't conform they'd be smeared as a racist. That's a 'conform or gone' sort of culture.

It doesn't matter a jot what that individual has done up until that point they would be defined by that - is that not concerning? For not wanting to do something that ultimately doesn't really do anything.

It will never end once you give in, it becomes everything gets cancelled that doesn't fit the rhetoric.

There are plenty of black people out there that look at some recent incidents like the coco pops/uncle Ben nonsense & people that are trying to do their thinking for them utterly bamboozled.

Why aren't we hearing any views in the mainstream from any half decent black intellects? Just 'celebrities' and the like..... I wonder what Malcolm X would have to say about all that?
I'd be very surprised if any Burnley player, for example, didn't want to 'conform'. Why wouldn't they want to make a gesture that they're united in the fight against racism?

Out of interest where do you stand on England players singing the national anthem? Because I can guarantee some of the posters who think that the players are being forced to kneel have berated certain England players in the past for not singing the national anthem.

You're just guessing that people would smear someone who didn't kneel as racist - obviously they would get criticism from some quarters, but they are getting criticised by some for kneeling. That's life. Personally I would be interested to know why they feel so strongly about not showing their solidarity in the fight against racism.

You're last two paragraphs are a bit daft. Obviously some black people may not be in favour of the protests, that's fine, they don't have to join in. But it seems like the overwhelming majority are in favour. And who are you referring to by half decent black intellects? I've seen a good number of black people over various levels of intellect interviewed during this whole episode.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:33 pm
Quite a few like to read or see what isnt there.

There's only so many times you can be in the debate, ask questions whilst also condemning things before you get bored.
I'm not sure what some people want or expect

Ask silly questions, get silly answers
Put more energy into defending the racism than condemning it, get called a racist.

I haven't done so but I can understand why others might.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:43 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 pm
So dispise and despose of the pike, some appreciate everything about them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tomorrows a new day.
The greatest ignorance is the conceit that a man knows what he does not know.

William Osler.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Let's get down on one knee and propose to the Marxist overlord with Black Lives Matter on our shirts, like forced Yank simpletons.

Or just get behind this and stop being sandal wearing fannies.....

https://www.kickitout.org/
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 pm
I'd be very surprised if any Burnley player, for example, didn't want to 'conform'. Why wouldn't they want to make a gesture that they're united in the fight against racism?

Out of interest where do you stand on England players singing the national anthem? Because I can guarantee some of the posters who think that the players are being forced to kneel have berated certain England players in the past for not singing the national anthem.

You're just guessing that people would smear someone who didn't kneel as racist - obviously they would get criticism from some quarters, but they are getting criticised by some for kneeling. That's life. Personally I would be interested to know why they feel so strongly about not showing their solidarity in the fight against racism.

You're last two paragraphs are a bit daft. Obviously some black people may not be in favour of the protests, that's fine, they don't have to join in. But it seems like the overwhelming majority are in favour. And who are you referring to by half decent black intellects? I've seen a good number of black people over various levels of intellect interviewed during this whole episode.
Couldn't give a toss about the national anthem. I don't think it's a unifying message.

Imo national anthem should be secular and about the people but that's just me.

Thomas Sowell has some very good work out there - I encourage anyone to listen to his views.

Bed time now enjoy fellas

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 pm

This isn't far off what Warnock said about Stan's tactics.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 pm
The point some people have been trying to make is not that they wouldn’t want to make a gesture but that in this febrile atmosphere they don’t have a choice. As the more fervent supporters have stated if you don’t support it then you are a racist.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm
The point some people have been trying to make is not that they wouldn’t want to make a gesture but that in this febrile atmosphere they don’t have a choice. As the more fervent supporters have stated if you don’t support it then you are a racist.
I understand the point some people are trying to make, I just don’t agree with them. What makes you think that some players feel that they don’t have a choice? They don’t have to shake hands with the opposition before the game but they all do (current circumstances excepted).

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 pm
I understand the point some people are trying to make, I just don’t agree with them. What makes you think that some players feel that they don’t have a choice? They don’t have to shake hands with the opposition before the game but they all do (current circumstances excepted).
It is daft. It just shows how the players are forced by the media. Imagine if one of them said well actually there are bigger problems and the movement (fad) doesn't really capture them and I'm not comfortable with this silly token gesture as I see through it. It is weak and will not solve the real issues.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:23 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm
I agree. There's as much chance of anybody who doesnt feel like complying opting out as anybody "coming out" - for the same reason.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:02 am

I have absolutely no issue in Burnley players taking the knee if that is what was decided by all the players if that is what they think shows empathy with the Black Lives Matter movement. I am against the vitriol against those that express an alternative view however unpalatable it may be to that person.

Last week there was a Black lives Matter march in Cleethorpes and there was a another bunch opposing them some in Grimsby shirts and singing Grimsby songs being offensive towards them, now The Grimsby Chairman put out the following “We cannot control who wears such shirts and what they say, but we can and we do make it clear to them that they are not welcome at Blundell Park and appropriate action will be taken against them at the stadium.”

If he means bans them from matches or takes ST’s away we are going down a very slippery slope, yes I am all for banning them if they commit an offence in the Stadium but not for committing an offensive act.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:12 am

Rowls wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:18 pm
The use of 'this' is not difficult in the English language. It's an extremely common word and crops up often.

There's a very easy quote function if you truly want me to answer which particular usage of the word 'this' was so difficult for you to work out.
It really is impossible to discuss anything if you’re going to be so awkward. If the ‘this’ in your sentence didn’t refer to racism as I initially thought what did it refer to? I really don’t understand why you’re being so difficult about it.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:12 am
It really is impossible to discuss anything if you’re going to be so awkward. If the ‘this’ in your sentence didn’t refer to racism as I initially thought what did it refer to? I really don’t understand why you’re being so difficult about it.
You're asking me to trawl through my posts on this thread searching for the word "this".

This is one of the daftest thIngs I've ever known on this board. Do you realise that this is one of the most prevalent words in the English language and that its use is normally very, very straight forward and self-explanatory?

If you can give me the quote of which "this" it is which is so puzzling and baffling for you I'll answer you but, no - I am not looking through my posts and writing a detailed explanation in lieu of my pronoun use. This is what pronouns are there for.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 am

*THIS* is the problem...

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:33 am

Just in case, does anyone know the French for soapy t1t w@nk?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 am

Rowls wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm
Presumably the Supreme Court Of The United States.

And some people don't want to see this as an American domestic issue.
This! (and ‘this’ is the second time I’ve quoted this post).
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:39 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 am
This! (and ‘this’ is the second time I’ve quoted this post).
Apologies if you've quoted this before, I didn't see it.

This is clearly talking about the whole situation regarding George Floyd. I'd have thought this was obvious.

Why was the use of a pronoun here so intriguing to you?

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:42 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:33 am
I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:44 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
OK....

According to Google (so take it with a pinch of salt) ...

The French use the phrase "Spanish w@nk" for a t1t w@nk and the adjective for soapy is savoneuse.

So it would be une branlette espagnol savoneuse. But I'd check with a native speaker before assuming this makes any sense whatsoever in French but I reckon they get your drift.

Hope this helps, Rowls x

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am

Rowls wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:39 am
Apologies if you've quoted this before, I didn't see it.

This is clearly talking about the whole situation regarding George Floyd. I'd have thought this was obvious.

Why was the use of a pronoun here so intriguing to you?
It wasn’t clear to me as this is very much about more than George Floyd. It may have been the catalyst for the current increased activity from BLM (and more) but to say this is about George Floyd is a fundamental misunderstanding.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am

Ahhhh, I've made a very big erreur.

Assuming Google has got the correct words here, it would be une branlette espagnole.

I think the e on the end of that word is important unless you want to be thrusting between a pair of sweaty, hairy moobs.

But whatever floats your boat. Just thought the distinction might be key to some people's enjoyment of said activity.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:51 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 am
It wasn’t clear to me as this is very much about more than George Floyd. It may have been the catalyst for the current increased activity from BLM (and more) but to say this is about George Floyd is a fundamental misunderstanding.
I didn't say it was only about George Floyd. I said it was about the whole situation about George Floyd.

Seems more like a fundamental misunderstanding of the English language (on your part) than a misunderstanding of the situation (on my part).

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 am

And this(1) is why we use pronouns like this(2) very often in English martin_p - it saves tiresome exchanges like this(3).

1. Refers to my reasoning in the immediate exchanges above.
2. This(i) one is ambiguous - It could refer to the manner in which the word "this"(ii) is used or it could refer to the specific debate about the word "this" which we are having. Fortunately, either option is viable without altering the meaning of the sentence.
3. Refers to the "tiresome exchanges" within the same sentence.

i. Refers to the first use of the word "this" as indicated here by the numeral "(1)".
ii. Refers to the word "this" generally in the context of its everyday use, as referenced by example numer "(2)"

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 am

OK, I admit it - I'm bored and I've had a bad day.

But I find it genuinely bizarre why the use of such a common and unremarkable word should have piqued your interest in this manner when we were discussing what is a very serious topic.

Sorry for the level of flippancy, but I honestly don't know why it was so intriguing to you. It was very workaday use of the English language as far I can see.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:05 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Why aren't we hearing any views in the mainstream from any half decent black intellects?
Unless you believe there are no "half decent black intellects" then you really need to think about the answer to this yourself.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:38 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:42 pm
Put more energy into defending the racism than condemning it, get called a racist.

I haven't done so but I can understand why others might.
Youd be hard pressed to find anyone defending it to be honest.
There is never a situation where it's acceptable, or been accepted.
Some people will have a different opinion of how to go a out expressing it, changing things for the better or making a stand, but like anything its just an opinion, doesnt meant they are right, wrong , for or against.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 am

TVC15 wrote:
Why do you want to know “where it stops” ?
Is that important to you ?....especially when you seem to believe it’s gone too far already.

If everyone needed to know exactly where it was going to end when they were trying to bring about transformational change in society nothing would ever get done.

And yep the “free speech being all but gone” is one of the most used pieces of rhetoric and guess what it’s still not happened after all these years people saying it’s under threat or will disappear if we do x or y.
How can you say free speech isn't disappearing, even on this board anyone who points out legitimate reasons why they are against taking the knee, they are branded as racist.
One of my biggest issues with it, is its so false. Not to all obviously, but in this era where people are desperate to fit in, frightened to stand out, where they have to be SEEN , I think many are just following like sheep. It might look good for the photos in the press, and they can all boast about how virtuous they are on fb, but how many are going to really change their attitude to BAME. Not many at all, but it looks good.
People say that football is a racially integrated workplace, well there are many other factories around the country where there is a strong racial mix. There are areas of the country where factories could be BAME dominant. The more people mix, the less the fraction.
I don't believe we live in a racist society. The problems that Black youths face in inner cities, are much the same problems that white youths face in similar housing estates around the country. Youths always think they are targeted by the Police, mo matter what colour they are, and its so easy to play the race card. If you look at Black youths outside that environment , then I'm sure their education, employment, life goals and achievements, are as good as any white youths.
It isn't the colour of their skin that holds them back, but their attitude and the chip on their shoulders. If you want to help these people then sort out the issues of these inner city ghettos, fight the social issues, and the racism will take care of itself. Taking a knee isn't going to take a knife out of a single kids hand, or stop a dealer poisoning the mind and body of another kid. We have far, far bigger issues than racism. So you need to ask yourself do you want to help these people, or would you rather look virtuous.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Mangetout

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:26 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 am
How can you say free speech isn't disappearing, even on this board anyone who points out legitimate reasons why they are against taking the knee, they are branded as racist...
That’s not how freedom of speech works. It’s not the freedom to say whatever you want without criticism.

In fact, it looks like you want to take away the freedom of speech rights of those who want to brand others racist.

(the rest of your post was nonsense as well, of course)