BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER/AUTUMN 2020 (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS SUMMER 2020(MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 am

Shocking that the same posters who have been tearing their hair out about no signings, are now not happy we seem to be about to make one that THEY do not want.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:39 am

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 am
So he's "certainly" not the best we can do but you're happy with it and think it makes sense? Think that sums it up. If there's by far better we can do then why should we settle for much less than that on big wages (thus limiting our other options)?

Let's just think about this. We've got Hart, Lennon, Hendrick and Gibson off the wage bill that probably saves us around £120k a week (assuming we're still paying some of Gibson's). Norris in on ~£10k a week, so that's £110k. Then we'll want to save some money due to COVID losses, let's be kind and assume Garlick only wants to knock £20k a week off the budget. That's our available wage budget at £90k. Stephens isn't going to take a pay cut but let's be kind and assume no increase so he'll be on £30k. So potentially a third of our wage budget will be taken up by someone you're happy to admit is "certainly" not the best we can do, will eventually be 4th choice in his position in a matter of months then sit around on big wages for a what remains of his deal (at least a 2 year one) before eventually leaving for nothing, probably only just sneaking into double figures for starts.

Your main problem here is thinking that 30k a week is a big wage. There are players in the league below earning more than that. Taking away all your assumptions, ifs, maybes and wild guesses if we sign someone who is miles better than what we have, what sort of fee and wage are you expecting him to cost. Also on signing that player would you then complain about the wage say Cork or Brownhill or Westwood is on while sat on the bench.

Do you think we could sign a better left back than Taylor, there must be someone out there better doesn't mean we shouldn't have signed Taylor, going through our whole squad there are better players out there than all of ours.

I get that you don't want Stephens and are doing your best to let everyone know this, fact is almost every club has a similar signing in their squad. The fee is next to nothing and wage really isn't either.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:47 am

What's puzzling me at the moment, is that many of the championship clubs are really cash strapped at the moment, so now would be the ideal time to pinch a few gems relatively cheaply. Maybe we are deliberately leaving it late to pick up some real bargains, but it's a risky business.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am
It's utter b s we don't have money for transfers.....we have spent the last 5 years in the premier league and all the money that comes with it. We don't spend anything like what all the other clubs do on transfers infact our spending is in the black, we have year in year out one of the smallest wage Bill's, we must of taken 600+ million out of the premier league over the last 5 year's

Just last season we made 127.3 million

league position: 10th
Equal share: £31.8m
Facility fees: £12.3m
Merit payment: £19.5m
Overseas TV income: £58.7m
Commercial revenue: £5m
Total: £127.3m

yet we still have no money ?????
You realise we have expenses as well as income?
These 2 users liked this post: dpinsussex Rileybobs

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:51 am

Ric_C wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:47 am
What's puzzling me at the moment, is that many of the championship clubs are really cash strapped at the moment, so now would be the ideal time to pinch a few gems relatively cheaply. Maybe we are deliberately leaving it late to pick up some real bargains, but it's a risky business.
That's been said before, by me and others. That could be the reason for the delay in signing people. Football is a business, and although it might be hard on other clubs, buying forced sales is good business.

If we pick up a couple of gems late in the window, the people doing all the complaining won't give credit to the board though. They will suggest that fan pressure made them sign people which would be total rubbish.
This user liked this post: Ric_C

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am
300m+ turnover last 3 years - net transfer spend of about 30m we got 270m in the bank.

Think that's how it works. Hope they aren't self employed though.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am

Gordaleman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:51 am
If we pick up a couple of gems late in the window, the people doing all the complaining won't give credit to the board though. They will suggest that fan pressure made them sign people which would be total rubbish.
Rubbish. I don't think anybody will be claiming credit for any potential incomings.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 am

Murger wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am
Rubbish. I don't think anybody will be claiming credit for any potential incomings.
Easy said. See what happens eh?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:20 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am
300m+ turnover last 3 years - net transfer spend of about 30m we got 270m in the bank.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am

It doesn't seem to affect other clubs anything like it does Burnley

All clubs have expenses in the prem

Almost all clubs have bigger wage Bill's than us in the prem

Yet all clubs improve the squad year in year out apart from Burnley the only club in the prem with no money the only club that has to sell to bring player's in

Yes we are a well run club but come on something is not right and you can't defend the lack of transfers over the year's
Last edited by ClaretMov on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:35 am

Considering the dire position we are in, leaving things to the last few days is a very, very dangerous situation.It may also be there is no time for the selling club to find a replacement .If its Dawson it should be all out for it, as his experience could have half a dozen clubs after him

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:43 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am
It’s probably best to stay out of things you clearly do not understand
....educate yourself and read up on some of the informative threads posted on this board about the clubs finances.
Do that and you might end up feeling far less frustrated at the current situation with the club.
This user liked this post: KateR

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:46 am

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:43 am
It’s probably best to stay out of things you clearly do not understand
....educate yourself and read up on some of the informative threads posted on this board about the clubs finances.
Do that and you might end up feeling far less frustrated at the current situation with the club.
Like most on here you need to take off the claret and blue tinted glasses you are wearing

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 am

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am

Lucky we don't pay wages out of that, if we did we'd only have about £30million left! ;)

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:57 am

Perhaps the " well run club" mantra can at least now begin to be questioned.
"Well run club when things are running smoothly " might be more accurate

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 am
Wow what a weird post.
Shall I look into my crystal ball and come up with a more positive prediction of what will happen in the next 3 years just to suit my opinion ?
Cork’s injury is worse than we thought...Westwood also picks up a serious injury - Stephens plays as many games for Burnley as he does for Brighton and is an integral part of us overturning the odds yet again etc etc

See it’s easy - but it’s pretty irrelevant which one of us is right because Sean Dyche is a lot better at this than either of us !!
Sure it's possible, but I'm pretty confident it's more likely it'll turn out the way I've suggested.
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:39 am
Your main problem here is thinking that 30k a week is a big wage. There are players in the league below earning more than that. Taking away all your assumptions, ifs, maybes and wild guesses if we sign someone who is miles better than what we have, what sort of fee and wage are you expecting him to cost. Also on signing that player would you then complain about the wage say Cork or Brownhill or Westwood is on while sat on the bench.

Do you think we could sign a better left back than Taylor, there must be someone out there better doesn't mean we shouldn't have signed Taylor, going through our whole squad there are better players out there than all of ours.

I get that you don't want Stephens and are doing your best to let everyone know this, fact is almost every club has a similar signing in their squad. The fee is next to nothing and wage really isn't either.
£30k a week in our budget at the moment is big. I'm not suggesting we sign someone miles better than what we have, I think you're getting confused here I'm saying we "could" sign better in our position (stature and finance), I'm not suggesting we could sign KDB, Bruno Fernandes or anything like that. I'm suggesting we sign someone who could do a job in an emergency whilst improving to become good enough to start for us in the future and potentially be sold for more than we bought them. Instead of signing someone who is only going to decline and put us back at square one of being short of players and short of cash in a couple of seasons time.

Bizarre whataboutism with Taylor (where have I suggested anything like that?) but it helps illustrate my point. Are there better LBs out there than Taylor? Yes. Could we sign better with our current finances and stature? Probably not. A signing like Taylor is exactly the type I'm advocating, younger, good enough to play if needed, potential to develop into a regular starter and, now that he has developed, someone we'd make a profit on if we sold. So not sure why you think he'd be a stick to beat me with :lol:

As I've tried to explain Stephens' wage of ~£30k is likely to be a large proportion of our available budget (around 1/3 of it if my fag packet calculations are close). It's money that could be better spent.

As I've said we have a real opportunity here. A strong first XI but little depth so new singings will know they have a chance to make an impact. We've just freed up a big chunk of wages with Hart, Lennon, Hendrick and Gibson leaving. EFL clubs have just found out no crowds likely for the rest of this season so their finances are further impacted. Wage caps coming in to play. We could bring in some younger players with real potential for less than they would usually be available, get them minutes in and around our experienced and strong first XI and then when prices bounce back up be in a really strong position.

Instead it looks like we're just kicking the can a bit further down the road. Except in two years time we'll have even less money as we aren't recouping any money on a deal for Stephens and prices will have bounced back up to limit us even further.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 pm
Sure it's possible, but I'm pretty confident it's more likely it'll turn out the way I've suggested.

£30k a week in our budget at the moment is big. I'm not suggesting we sign someone miles better than what we have, I think you're getting confused here I'm saying we "could" sign better in our position (stature and finance), I'm not suggesting we could sign KDB, Bruno Fernandes or anything like that. I'm suggesting we sign someone who could do a job in an emergency whilst improving to become good enough to start for us in the future and potentially be sold for more than we bought them. Instead of signing someone who is only going to decline and put us back at square one of being short of players and short of cash in a couple of seasons time.

Bizarre whataboutism with Taylor (where have I suggested anything like that?) but it helps illustrate my point. Are there better LBs out there than Taylor? Yes. Could we sign better with our current finances and stature? Probably not. A signing like Taylor is exactly the type I'm advocating, younger, good enough to play if needed, potential to develop into a regular starter and, now that he has developed, someone we'd make a profit on if we sold. So not sure why you think he'd be a stick to beat me with :lol:

As I've tried to explain Stephens' wage of ~£30k is likely to be a large proportion of our available budget (around 1/3 of it if my fag packet calculations are close). It's money that could be better spent.

As I've said we have a real opportunity here. A strong first XI but little depth so new singings will know they have a chance to make an impact. We've just freed up a big chunk of wages with Hart, Lennon, Hendrick and Gibson leaving. EFL clubs have just found out no crowds likely for the rest of this season so their finances are further impacted. Wage caps coming in to play. We could bring in some younger players with real potential for less than they would usually be available, get them minutes in and around our experienced and strong first XI and then when prices bounce back up be in a really strong position.

Instead it looks like we're just kicking the can a bit further down the road. Except in two years time we'll have even less money as we aren't recouping any money on a deal for Stephens and prices will have bounced back up to limit us even further.

So sign a young midfielder who could develop into a Premier league starter, improve him and then maybe sell at a profit ? Brownhill.

If every signing we make is over 31 then the point you are making would be more valid. It is just a lot of words down to you not liking a potential signing.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:06 pm
So sign a young midfielder who could develop into a Premier league starter, improve him and then maybe sell at a profit ? Brownhill.

If every signing we make is over 31 then the point you are making would be more valid. It is just a lot of words down to you not liking a potential signing.
A signing like Brownhill is exactly the kind I'm advocating. We've got it right in the past which is why this is more frustrating.

Stephens is a signing like Lennon and Hart. Big wages, doesn't improve the first XI, declining so will never improve the first XI, no resale value.

Yes you need a mix of youth and experience but we already have the experience, we've got the oldest squad i the league.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm
A signing like Brownhill is exactly the kind I'm advocating. We've got it right in the past which is why this is more frustrating.

Stephens is a signing like Lennon and Hart. Big wages, doesn't improve the first XI, declining so will never improve the first XI, no resale value.

Yes you need a mix of youth and experience but we already have the experience, we've got the oldest squad i the league.
What makes you so sure it's a signing like Lennon and Hart and not one like Bardsley and Pieters?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3598 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Mattster wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 pm

To be fair, he will improve the first XI or at worst, the first team match squad. That’s really only because we are so depleted though.

He will be a steady player for us and I suspect work well under Dyche. He’s just a needs must signing and one that doesn’t offer a longer term solution to the same problem.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:46 am
Like most on here you need to take off the claret and blue tinted glasses you are wearing
Nothing to do with claret and blue glasses.
Everything to do with I know how to understand a set of financial accounts and you clearly have not got a clue of the very basics.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Brownhill done nothing for me so far so want to see a hell of a lot more from him - some people have him down as a genius already

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
Brownhill done nothing for me so far so want to see a hell of a lot more from him - some people have him down as a genius already
:D

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

All clubs have expenses in the prem

Almost all clubs have bigger wage Bill's than us in the prem

Yet all clubs improve the squad year in year out apart from Burnley the only club in the prem with no money the only club that has to sell to bring player's in

Yes we are a well run club but come on something is not right and you can't defend the lack of transfers over the year's
I wonder what most other PL clubs have that we don't.

Here's a clue:Image

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:18 pm
What makes you so sure it's a signing like Lennon and Hart and not one like Bardsley and Pieters?
For one they both came in as 2nd choice, not 4th.

And whilst they've both been solid Pieters mostly gets credit for just filling in and being ok wherever he's needed. If we hadn't been so poor recruiting players he'd have only played a handful of league games when Taylor was injured. Bardsley at RB is widely considered a position we can improve.

Neither is going to bring in a fee when they leave. Neither are going to develop any further.

Conroysleftfoot
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:35 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:22 pm
I don't think anybody is saying he's a genius. He's Just made a pretty good start to ,I hope, a long and successful career in the Prem.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:44 pm

SD has just said he is still not sure of guidelines from the Chairman and Board regarding transfers

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm
:D
Sorry not seen him with an assist or a goal or even a shot on target yet - there is more to football than just running around

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:48 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:44 pm
SD has just said he is still not sure of guidelines from the Chairman and Board regarding transfers
I guess that will never change while he's here, so not really much point him mentioning it.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:48 pm
I guess that will never change while he's here, so not really much point him mentioning it.
The manager seems to think otherwise

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:51 pm

I’m sure it’ll be the old “our way of doing things” line but I cannot fathom not giving Dyche a budget and letting him use it.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Definitely a few doing Stephens a disservice on here.
He's actually a very good technical player; accurate passer and combative. Look at what Joey Barton did for us in his later years.
We shouldn't lose sight of what we are - the identity of the club and the team - Stephens is 31, not 34.
Both Westwood and Cork are out of contract next year. It could well be that at least one of those players moves on. Hopefully the next midfielder we sign is a younger age profile, or we bring one through from the academy, but having experienced heads in the middle of the park who know what they are doing is worth its weight in gold.
Sadly we can't look too far ahead in such uncertain times, we need match-ready professionals.
If the incumbent Board are looking to sell the club on, then its paramount they do their best short term to keep us in the PL....this kind of transfer is shrewd business in helping achieve this goal.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick KateR

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:54 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Replace "Chairman and Board" with "PM & Government" and its the same thoughts as the rest of the country

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm
Sorry not seen him with an assist or a goal or even a shot on target yet - there is more to football than just running around
Agreed, just hadn't read him being called a genius. Seen it mentioned he has had a few good games but missed the genius comments.

Conroysleftfoot
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm
Didn't he win the ball and pass to Dwight allowing him to cross for Jay to head the winner against Watford? How many shots/goals have Westwood and Cork had during the last 2 years?

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm
I wonder what most other PL clubs have that we don't.

Here's a clue:Image
A green bar instead of a red one?

That graph means very little with no context or explanation? £ per mins.. Is that the total wage bill divided by the number of minutes it plays in a season?

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Is says ' mlns'. I.e. millions

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Dan James of Man Utd at a reported £12m looks a really good investment.Young, fast, direct and very confident. Maybe even a loan.Our answer to our right sided position

Dwight and him would be a handful for any PL side

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:05 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm
Is says ' mlns'. I.e. millions
Time to go to specsavers ha ha..
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:05 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:03 pm
Dan James of Man Utd at a reported £12m looks a really good investment.Young, fast, direct and very confident. Maybe even a loan.Our answer to our right sided position

He's reportedly going to Leeds if Man U allow him to leave. Presumably on loan to them. I can't see us getting him.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:06 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:58 pm
A green bar instead of a red one?

That graph means very little with no context or explanation? £ per mins.. Is that the total wage bill divided by the number of minutes it plays in a season?
It looks like you've spotted your error, but it's showing how much financing PL clubs have received over the last 5 years in millions, from their owners or from loans.

Here's the table to go with itImage

And the full Twitter thread
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 3803177984
Last edited by Tall Paul on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:03 pm

He’d be great I agree - but he’s off to Leeds I reckon.
He was minutes from signing from them and it fell through at last minute and he ended up at United the following season. He was at Elland Road having a medical from memory - it was on that documentary on Prime. Leeds reported to be interested again.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Brady fractured rib.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:15 pm

SGr wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm
Brady fractured rib.
So what... at least 6 weeks out?

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm

SGr wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm
Brady fractured rib.
Oh well. We’ve got Erik.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Hart off the wage bill, Hendrick off the wage bill, Lennon off the wage bill, that must amount to 100k a week, surely we could bring in a quality cm or rw, and maybe even the striker that's been rumoured from mainz, quailer is it, yes there's a fee, but it's already been mentioned best part of 600m over last 5 years in the bank, but big question for me is, "which bank". For 20 to 25m we could bring those 2 players in which would vastly improve the squad, then there's the tarkowski situation, none of us know what's going on behind the scenes, I would guess he was left out at Leicester to stop them from having a further look at him at close quarters, but if he is going I would say Dawson is an able replacement but only for another 2 years, and then the problem would be back, but Dawson would also provide further cover at right back, and as we're led to believe for much less money than the fee for tarkowski would bring in, we simply can't keep standing still in this league, the board have to speculate to accumulate. C'mon Mr garlick give Mr dyche a chance, we simply can't be operating with the squad on show on Sunday.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:15 pm
So what... at least 6 weeks out?
Usually about 6wks for it to heal.

The issue will be him keeping up the levels of fitness. Speaking from experience, any movement is painful, and even after it heals there is some discomfort

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Stephens would represent a poor signing in my opinion, we are looking towards the past instead of the future.

Point One

In the last set of accounts our wage bill was at a point where it would have been hard to increase it any further. I suspect the reason we decided not to offer Hart, Lennon and Bardsley new contracts was to free up some space in our wage bill. That would allow the recruitment team to widen their target area, on the basis of us having more money to salary tempt potential additions, making their job easier. Allowing those players to move on also created space that could be filled with younger players who would benefit the financial position of the club going forwards.

If we did move on those players to free up space in the wage bill and squad to attract players with a resale value it makes no sense to fill the space and re-allocate wages to another depreciating asset with zero re-sale value.

Signing another depreciating asset to fill up the bench, who will be on decent wages, will weaken our squad from a financial perspective.

Point Two

Protecting our financial future is dependent on player development and just as importantly we need to safeguard our playing future. That means we will have to bring in a couple of young players at some point. Spending our dwindling dry powder on short term fixes denies us a future.

If we sign Stephens he won't want a one year contract, because he already has that. I suspect we will give him a 2 year plus 1 year contract. Neither will he be looking to reduce his wages.

If we do sign him up and give him a lengthy contract on good wages then we won't be able to add a young central midfielder until somebody leaves the club. That means we can give Westwood and Cork new contracts and sign a young central midfield player ( increasing the wage bill and bench sitting ) or we can send one of them the way of Lennon et al ( no new contract and off you go ) to free up space for a young midfielder.

If the price of signing Stephens is the loss of Westwood or Cork next year that would weaken our squad, because they are both better than him.

Conclusion

The only reason we are after Stephens and people appear to be thrilled is because of the failure of our recruitment team to find anyone else. He is another last gasp, better than nothing option, that has only arisen because of a sad failure to do what needed to be done ( albeit with far better personal credentials than Drinkwater ).

We let players go to free up space and finances ( leaving us dangerously short of players in the final matches of the last season and forcing our team to deliver no less than a magnificent performance to keep us up the table ). That gave our recruitment team more options and should have made things easier for them. However, they have made a complete hash of delivering on the second part of that transfer strategy, which was to identify realistic targets in respect to quality, price and availability.

Selling Stephens and getting him off their wage bill will be good business for Brighton, because he has no future with them, and he will struggle for game time this season. Their Technical Director, Dan Ashworth, worked closely with Mike Rigg at the FA. I suspect that he noticed our current plight and detected an opportunity to offload an unwanted player on us, knowing that our recruitment team have bumbled us into a crappy situation that Rigg is unlikely to get us out of on his own.

Had we chased after Stephens early in the window, before finding ourselves in the position that we are now in, I suspect the move would have generated a resounding WTF.

We brought in Mike Rigg and gave him the funds to establish a recruitment team that would allow us to find players that meet our playing requirements at a price we can afford. In this window a lot of players who met both of those requirements were available, but we don't appear to have been in for any of them.

To make things more even depressing, instead of finding new players we are resorting to signing the players that we were looking at before Rigg arrived.

We are like a single person who has an important event to attend. Not having a date they are desperately trawling through their little black book and phoning up all of their exes. Hoping that one of them is at a loss for something to do and won't look too out of place on their arm. Either that or a drunk and bewildered soul who is looking for a last chance dance partner at the end of a disappointing evening in a nightclub, because it seems marginally better than going home alone ( until you wake up with them the next day ).
These 2 users liked this post: Murger ClaretMov

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Stephens, to me, seems someone who is well capable to plug a gap. I'd sooner we had him and not sign anybody, put it one way.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Stephens would represent a poor signing in my opinion, we are looking towards the past instead of the future.

Point One

In the last set of accounts our wage bill was at a point where it would have been hard to increase it any further. I suspect the reason we decided not to offer Hart, Lennon and Bardsley new contracts was to free up some space in our wage bill. That would allow the recruitment team to widen their target area, on the basis of us having more money to salary tempt potential additions, making their job easier. Allowing those players to move on also created space that could be filled with younger players who would benefit the financial position of the club going forwards.

If we did move on those players to free up space in the wage bill and squad to attract players with a resale value it makes no sense to fill the space and re-allocate wages to another depreciating asset with zero re-sale value.

Signing another depreciating asset to fill up the bench, who will be on decent wages, will weaken our squad from a financial perspective.

Point Two

Protecting our financial future is dependent on player development and just as importantly we need to safeguard our playing future. That means we will have to bring in a couple of young players at some point. Spending our dwindling dry powder on short term fixes denies us a future.

If we sign Stephens he won't want a one year contract, because he already has that. I suspect we will give him a 2 year plus 1 year contract. Neither will he be looking to reduce his wages.

If we do sign him up and give him a lengthy contract on good wages then we won't be able to add a young central midfielder until somebody leaves the club. That means we can give Westwood and Cork new contracts and sign a young central midfield player ( increasing the wage bill and bench sitting ) or we can send one of them the way of Lennon et al ( no new contract and off you go ) to free up space for a young midfielder.

If the price of signing Stephens is the loss of Westwood or Cork next year that would weaken our squad, because they are both better than him.

Conclusion

The only reason we are after Stephens and people appear to be thrilled is because of the failure of our recruitment team to find anyone else. He is another last gasp, better than nothing option, that has only arisen because of a sad failure to do what needed to be done ( albeit with far better personal credentials than Drinkwater ).

We let players go to free up space and finances ( leaving us dangerously short of players in the final matches of the last season and forcing our team to deliver no less than a magnificent performance to keep us up the table ). That gave our recruitment team more options and should have made things easier for them. However, they have made a complete hash of delivering on the second part of that transfer strategy, which was to identify realistic targets in respect to quality, price and availability.

Selling Stephens and getting him off their wage bill will be good business for Brighton, because he has no future with them, and he will struggle for game time this season. Their Technical Director, Dan Ashworth, worked closely with Mike Rigg at the FA. I suspect that he noticed our current plight and detected an opportunity to offload an unwanted player on us, knowing that our recruitment team have bumbled us into a crappy situation that Rigg is unlikely to get us out of on his own.

Had we chased after Stephens early in the window, before finding ourselves in the position that we are now in, I suspect the move would have generated a resounding WTF.

We brought in Mike Rigg and gave him the funds to establish a recruitment team that would allow us to find players that meet our playing requirements at a price we can afford. In this window a lot of players who met both of those requirements were available, but we don't appear to have been in for any of them.

To make things more even depressing, instead of finding new players we are resorting to signing the players that we were looking at before Rigg arrived.

We are like a single person who has an important event to attend. Not having a date they are desperately trawling through their little black book and phoning up all of their exes. Hoping that one of them is at a loss for something to do and won't look too out of place on their arm. Either that or a drunk and bewildered soul who is looking for a last chance dance partner at the end of a disappointing evening in a nightclub, because it seems marginally better than going home alone ( until you wake up with them the next day ).

To the bed wetters.....the above post is 100% spot on and from someone who at last knows what they are talking about and not happy with just getting by, we are season by season getting weaker.