22nd Aug: Four players will not play for Burnley Football Club again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

22nd Aug: Four players will not play for Burnley Football Club again

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:37 am

This a day when we have played twelve league games, two in the League Cup, kicked off what was a memorable season and saw players removed from the squad in the most unlikely of ways.

Let's start at the beginning in 1953 and a trip to Charlton after we'd kicked off the season with that big 4-1 home win against Wolves. There was no score at half time but Jimmy McIlroy soon gave us the lead after the break. Unfortunately it didn't lead to another victory. By the end goals from Billy Kiernan, Eddie Firmani and Stuart Leary had given Charlton a 3-1 win at The Valley.

Two years later we were on our travels again, this time to Blackpool in midweek after we'd beaten Spurs at home to kick off the season. Again we came home with nothing. Blackpool won 2-0 with Bill Perry scoring in the closing minutes of each half.

We were on the road again in 1959, this time to Leeds as we kicked off the season that would end in glory at Maine Road. In searing heat, wingers Brian Pilkington and John Connelly both scored in the first half before Wilbur Cush pulled one back from the penalty spot just past the hour. Ray Pointer clinched the win six minutes from time before Jack Charlton pulled one back for Leeds. 3-2 it was, the season was off to a winning start.

You can read more about the Leeds game at
https://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-tu ... -kicks-off

It was a Tuesday night in 1961. We'd drawn at Arsenal on the opening day and played our first game against newly promoted Ipswich in what was our first ever game against them. No one at the time could have ever envisaged that they would be the only team to end the season above us.

Funny sometimes the things you remember. I went to get my programme before going in and presented my 3d to pay for it only to find there had been a 33% increase and it was now 4d. A kind gentleman outside where the club shop is now gave me a penny so I could get one.

We won the game 4-3 on a night when we were never behind. Pointer scored midway through the first half but Ipswich were soon level through Ted Phillips. We still led at half time though; Gordon Harris scored just three minutes before the break.

Ipswich were level early in the second half when Ray Crawford scored but Brian Miller restored the lead. Again Ipswich drew level; Phillips getting his second but goal number four came for the Clarets with McIlroy getting the winner.

Two Lancashire derbies now, one away and one at home and both ending in 2-2 draws. The first of them in 1962 was at Bolton. Having lost at home against Everton in the opening game we were looking for our first point of the season. One point is what we got but it should have been two. By half time we were two up with goals from Connelly and Walter Joyce, but Bolton came back after the break. Wyn Davies, who scored a lot of goals for Bolton and then Newcastle, pulled one back early in the second half with Warwick Rimmer equalising eight minutes from time. Eleven years later we would play Bolton in Rimmer's testimonial.

In 1964 it was the opening day of the season with Blackpool at Turf Moor. This 2-2 draw saw Blackpool lead 1-0 before we went 2-1 in front. Graham Oates scored early and late in the game for the visitors but Burnley scored twice in the first half. Andy Lochhead got the first with Willie Irvine scoring the second. In the previous home game, against Spurs at the end of the 1963/64 season, this pair had both scored in a game for the first time. It was something that was to happen many more times.

1970 brought us a second away point in four days. We'd drawn 1-1 at Everton and now it was 0-0 at Manchester City. Having previously lost at home to Liverpool we were still looking for our first win but the next three games were all at home, against Manchester United, Leeds and Chelsea.
It was played two, drawn two in 1978 when we followed up the home draw against Leicester with a 1-1 draw at Charlton. Terry Cochrane gave us the lead midway through the first half but Charlton completed the scoring just a few minutes later.

A trip to Stockport didn't end well in 1992. Jimmy Mullen gave debuts to summer signings Les Thompson and John Clayton; both had missed the opening day win against Swansea. He'd also had a player training with us, looking for a contract. We rushed through a short term contract to enable him to play. That was Adrian Heath and he too made his debut, and scored. It was an equaliser but Stockport won the game 2-1 with a goal in virtually the last minute.

We were through in the League Cup in 1995. Having won 1-0 at Mansfield in the first leg with a Kurt Nogan goal, we beat them 3-1 at home. Adrian Randall got the first with Nogan helping himself to two more goals. Leicester were to be our next opponents.

What a day it was in 1998. We'd won our first home game under Stan Ternent but lost at Chesterfield and then went out of the League Cup with a big home defeat against Bury. York were at Turf Moor on this day. By half time we were 1-0 down to a Gordon Connelly goal but it was when the teams came out after the break that we realised all was not well. Both Steve Blatherwick and Lee Howey were off, youngsters Chris Scott and Matt Heywood were on for their debuts. Soon after, Phil Eastwood replaced Michael Williams. We lost 1-0, the game wasn't good, but we weren't prepared for what happened next.

Manager Stan Ternent spoke after the game to Radio Lancashire. What he said had us reeling. He said: "It's not personal, it's business-wise. Steve Blatherwick, Lee Howey, Mark Winstanley and to a lesser degree Michael Williams, because he will never win the crowd over, will not play for Burnley Football Club again.

"They are not right for Burnley and they are not coming from where I am coming from. They are on the transfer list. They can go on a free transfer. I want them out of the place. They are no good to me."

I seem to recall that, of the four, only Winstanley did play for us again and he only at reserve team level although it did take some time to shift them.

A couple of League Cup ties now, both against Hartlepool, one in 2000 and the other in 2006. It was a first leg in 2000 and by half time we were 1-0 down to a Tommy Miller goal. Andy Cooke and Phil Gray were pulled at the break with Graham Branch and Andy Payton coming on. It was Payton who turned the game in our favour. He equalised from the penalty spot, scored again to give us the lead and then, after Steve Davis had scored three minutes from the end, completed his hat trick to give us a 4-1 lead to take into the second leg.

No second legs in 2006. Hartlepool were again at the Turf. We were only about a quarter of an hour from the end when Wayne Thomas gave away a penalty and received his marching orders from referee Carl Boyeson. Joel Porter scored the penalty and out we went.

Having suffered relegation in 2015, we'd drawn at Leeds and at home against Birmingham before losing at Ipswich. Not the best of starts but we did get our first win on the board on the last occasion we played on this date. Brentford were the visitors to Turf Moor. We'd just signed Andre Gray from them on the day before. He sat out the game but they did have a defender in a mask by the name of James Tarkowski. Rouwen Hennings got his first start but it was Michael Keane who won it for us with his second goal in successive home games when he headed home a first half corner.

Before the game, one fan had said to me that we were going nowhere, the Ipswich result had proved that, we were in crisis and Dyche had to go. I've never seen him since.

Paulclaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Re: 22nd Aug: Four players will not play for Burnley Football Club again

Post by Paulclaret » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:42 am

"Before the game, one fan had said to me that we were going nowhere, the Ipswich result had proved that, we were in crisis and Dyche had to go. I've never seen him since."

I think he posts on this Board!!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:46 am

Paulclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:42 am
"Before the game, one fan had said to me that we were going nowhere, the Ipswich result had proved that, we were in crisis and Dyche had to go. I've never seen him since."

I think he posts on this Board!!
Wouldn't be surprised Paul :D

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:59 am

Wasn’t the quote after the Ipswich game “we are sleepwalking into League One”

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:56 pm

'Funny sometimes the things you remember'

I'm choosing the same game,CT. My dad must have been on night shift because one of my older brothers 'had to take me' to the game. I recall it for remembering where we stood on the Longside in my brother's and his mates' favoured position. I recall it for the sheer fire power of Crawford and Phillips for the opposition and especially for probably meeting for the first time some of my brother's friends(about 7 years older than me) including Frenchclaret and someone called 'Lenny' who helped my brother around that era compile a fantastic scrapbook of Burnley's fortunes. They were all very kind to a Claretsmad 9 year old.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:56 pm
'Funny sometimes the things you remember'

I'm choosing the same game,CT. My dad must have been on night shift because one of my older brothers 'had to take me' to the game. I recall it for remembering where we stood on the Longside in my brother's and his mates' favoured position. I recall it for the sheer fire power of Crawford and Phillips for the opposition and especially for probably meeting for the first time some of my brother's friends(about 7 years older than me) including Frenchclaret and someone called 'Lenny' who helped my brother around that era compile a fantastic scrapbook of Burnley's fortunes. They were all very kind to a Claretsmad 9 year old.
Crawford & Phillips scored something goals that season didn’t they? How on earth they ever won the league though I’ll never know.

I’ve still got the programme.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:59 pm
Crawford & Phillips scored something goals that season didn’t they? How on earth they ever won the league though I’ll never know.

Of the two it was Ted Phillips that had the tremendously hard shot that he displayed that night. Certainly an effective duo. I don't think it would be a case of sour grapes to suggest we lost it that season as opposed to them winning it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:07 pm
Of the two it was Ted Phillips that had the tremendously hard shot that he displayed that night. Certainly an effective duo. I don't think it would be a case of sour grapes to suggest we lost it that season as opposed to them winning it.
We blew it didn’t we? We were walking it with ten games to go and then only won one more.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:19 pm
We blew it didn’t we? We were walking it with ten games to go and then only won one more.
Always wondered what was behind that big collapse. Hmm

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:52 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:43 pm
Always wondered what was behind that big collapse. Hmm
Jimmy Mac always said they were knackered but we’d got to the FA Cup final and that was the big prize then. Maybe we just eased off. We will never know but we should have been champions again.

claretfern
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:59 pm

Read that Ipswich boss (then plain Alf) Ramsey spotted how to use an innocuous left winger called Jimmy Leadbitter, to good effect. Playing him as a deep lying winger lobbing balls over defenders for either Crawford or Phillips to take advantage of: this tactic hadn't been tried before and it took most of the season for other clubs to cotton on. Suffice to say, the y had been found out the following season and it wasn't as effective. Think they were relegated in fact.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:52 pm
Jimmy Mac always said they were knackered but we’d got to the FA Cup final and that was the big prize then. Maybe we just eased off. We will never know but we should have been champions again.
Most probably,but we definitely blew it. I was only ten then and was absolutely gutted we didn't finish champions again. if that had been now there would have been more theories about what happened to cause the big collapse. Lol

Malvern claret
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Malvern claret » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm

The Ipswich game in 1961 was my first ever visit to Turf Moor, we had moved to Burnley just a few weeks earlier. I walked the short distance from home with great excitement to watch what turned out to be a terrific game. I hardly missed a home game that season and remember the disappointment at the final home game of the season against Chelsea when the chance of winning the league was lost with a 1 1 draw.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:36 pm

I thought we had worse players than Winstanley
Mark Ford and Steve Morgan to mention but two
Not saying that Winstanley was good by any means but he always gave 100%

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Spike wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:36 pm
I think it was Winstanley's pre-season antics more than anything that saw him go.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm

claretfern wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:59 pm
Read that Ipswich boss (then plain Alf) Ramsey spotted how to use an innocuous left winger called Jimmy Leadbitter, to good effect. Playing him as a deep lying winger lobbing balls over defenders for either Crawford or Phillips to take advantage of: this tactic hadn't been tried before and it took most of the season for other clubs to cotton on. Suffice to say, the y had been found out the following season and it wasn't as effective. Think they were relegated in fact.
Ipswich's record

1960/61: Promoted
1961/62: Champions
1962/63 17th
1963/64: 22nd and relegated

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2177 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:40 pm
I think it was Winstanley's pre-season antics more than anything that saw him go.
Was he the player mentioned in Stan's book, who said "you know what it's like when you've got a bird on your arm"?

:?:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:33 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:32 pm
Was he the player mentioned in Stan's book, who said "you know what it's like when you've got a bird on your arm"?

:?:
I think so
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:57 pm

Spike wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:36 pm
Was it not Winstanley who didn’t like football but just happened to be good enough to make a living from it?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Red Fox Rocks Socks wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:57 pm
Was it not Winstanley who didn’t like football but just happened to be good enough to make a living from it?
Very much so. My brother knew him well. He’d no interest at all.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:09 pm

What happened to the four players Stan sacked?

Did they get other clubs?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:59 pm

They didn't win it, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with those results from our last 10 league games in April, one win,5 draws and 4 defeats.