Vinnicombe 6, Cooke 17, Nogan 69, Francis 79

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4831 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Vinnicombe 6, Cooke 17, Nogan 69, Francis 79

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Perfection!

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1184 times

Re: Vinnicombe 6, Cooke 17, Nogan 69, Francis 79

Post by 4:20 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Bingo!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm

It was a winning feeling, so yeah, Bingo indeed!

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1184 times

Post by 4:20 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 pm

Always bingo beating Stockport back in those days

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Too right. My favourite ever game!
This user liked this post: 4:20

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 727 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Remember the game well. The Longside was being redeveloped and their fans were where what is now the home end in the cricketfield stand. My mate and I ended up being very close to the segregation..and it wasn't the largest segregation either. What struck me was the sheer foaming at the mouth irrational hatred they clearly had for us..and it was all on show. The surprising thing was that a lot of the nastiness came from the older women and families not just the younger male support. Was such a rollercoaster game too. Can still see Johnny Francis lobbing their keeper..the aftermath was a blur. The look on their faces :lol:

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:11 pm

5th after that game and then lost 4 on the bounce and we sacked Mullen. Looks a bit harsh now.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Genuinely cant remember this game

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 pm

I preferred the following season with Barnes hitting 5

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:27 pm

Tony’s excellent piece around the game....

December 1995 had seen a boardroom rumpus that spilled over into the most farcical and laughable AGM yet, and that was still more than simmering, whilst on the playing side the fans were furious at the departures of Adrian Heath and Adie Randall to Sheffield United and York respectively. Things had been made no better with an awful 0-0 home draw against Chesterfield and then a shocking 5-0 hammering at Brunton Park against Carlisle in the Auto Windscreens Trophy.

At the AGM the first sign of problems was Bernard Rothwell getting all mixed up over club shop figures and after having a stand up row with a shareholder he then had to apologise when he was proved to be wrong. Rothwell then got himself into an argument with fellow director Bob Blakeborough as they embarrassingly encouraged and refused a company the opportunity to bid for the kit deal.

That was nothing compared to the major bust up between Basil Dearing and Clive Holt. Dearing accused Holt of trying to acquire further shares for himself without the knowledge and approval of other directors. Dearing made it clear he would not continue to work with Holt and turned the entire meeting into pantomime by tendering his resignation.

Supporters were split and in letters to the local press there were demands for Clive Holt's resignation and also for him to be elected Chairman and to take over completely. “Resign Holt,” said one whilst “Credit to Mr Holt,” was the theme of another.

On the playing side, we'd lost Heath to the Blades where he had joined Howard Kendall. He wasn't so much a loss as injuries meant he was rarely fit enough to play but the sale of Randall to York for just £140,000 had stunned everyone.

“York City must have thought the New Year sales had come early,” said one letter whilst many were demanding a change of manager, that Jimmy Mullen was no longer getting the best out of the players and the almost weekly dressing room lock ins were becoming repetitive, boring and absolutely useless.

It was all billed so much as a Burnley FC crisis that even the Burnley Express editor Chris Daggett spoke out telling his readers: “In recent weeks supporters of Burnley, the very people to whom the club belongs, have had to put up with an ongoing saga of boardroom bickerings, share wars and perhaps worst of all, secrecy.”

And speaking about the Carlisle debacle he added: “A repeat of such showings against Stockport County should not, and will not, be acceptable. Burnley Football Club is one of the things that keeps our town on the map, Those in charge of affairs at Turf Moor – both on and off the field – should bear that in mind at all times.”

Fans were threatening demonstrations, what a background then to take on Stockport. They weren't the Unprofessionals at the time, the were still almost five years from that title and were known as the Unfriendly Club. They were making their first visit to the Turf since the Wembley meeting in 1994 and were just behind us in the league table ahead of the game and came confident that they could beat us and climb above us.

Reporting on the game the Express reporter Chris Boden wrote: “Little, it appeared, could go anywhere close to appeasing anyone. Enter the scriptwriters with a sumptuous plot. Let's win a seven goal thriller against the new arch rivals, they said. Let's come from behind three times, it was added.

“And then let's hand the crowning glory to a player who has not netted since scoring two of the most important goals in Burnley's history – the Home Park double that sent Burnley to Wembley. It was all too incredible to believe.”

Most Burnley fans were expecting a difficult afternoon, and we were a goal down before we'd even settled in our seats. It came from a header by Matthew Bound and we feared the worst, but just three minutes later it was all square after Kurt Nogan had a shot charged down by the visiting goalkeeper Neil Edwards. The ball rebounded to full back Chris Vinnicombe just outside the penalty box and he hammered home into the corner.

That was the lift we needed, or should have been, but we fell behind again with another header. This time, from a Chris Beaumont corner, Mike Flynn got up unchallenged to get in the header, Marlon Beresford got a hand to it but it went in off the post.

There were only twelve minutes gone and the score was already 2-1, but six minutes later it was Nogan again who caused the Stockport defence more problems. He latched on to a sublime chipped ball into the box from Paul Weller, set up Andy Cooke and the striker made no mistake to bring us level again.

This time we got on top, they simply had no answer to the promptings of Kurt up front but somehow they survived and incredibly, against the run of play, went in front for a third time. Again it was a header after John Jeffers got the better of Chris Brass down the Stockport left and there to head home for Stockport was Ian Helliwell who was just a short time away from becoming a Claret.

Peter Swan and Jamie Hoyland both went close to equalising but when referee Allison blew for half time we trailed 3-2 after a pulsating forty-five minutes that had ensured the fans inside the ground were getting right behind the team.

Cooke missed a chance just twenty seconds after the restart, Weller was brought down for what looked a certain penalty, but it remained at 3-2. Just past the hour Mullen made two substitutions within two minutes of each other. Firstly David Eyres replaced Hoyland and then John Francis came on for Weller, and how those changes worked.

Within five minutes we were level again and what a goal it was. Francis got down the right and hit over a magnificent cross to the far post and found Eyres who headed it back across goal. There was Nogan, finally getting the goal his performance deserved, as he steamed in to head home what was his 21st goal of the season.

Almost immediately Stockport came close to regaining the lead but Burnley countered and came within inches of going in front for the first time as Nogan hit a screamer just wide of the post. Then, with twelve minutes to go, the Turf finally celebrated as we got the winner.

Warren Joyce played the ball through for Francis and immediately goalkeeper Edwards sensed the danger and came out to try and prevent him getting in a shot. Francis though was too good for him and lobbed him from fully 25 yards.

It was certainly not the end of the action, both Vinnicombe and Cooke came close to adding a fifth whilst at the other end Helliwell and then Alun Armstrong saw close range shots blocked. But the Francis goal proved to be the winner and the thriller had lifted some of the doom and gloom around Turf Moor.

There's no doubt that Kurt was man of the match, he turned in one of his best Burnley performances and had Stockport struggling to deal with him all afternoon. “There's nothing quite like beating Stockport to take away the sour taste of a previous week's failings,” said Boden, “And beating them by coming from behind three times is something like a dream come true.”

Jimmy Mullen was delighted after the game and said: “Stockport County are always going to be difficult opposition and to go behind three times and come back and win is all I'm interested in. I was oblivious to the criticism off the field, I'm not interested in that. In the end it was a magnificent performance.”

For Stockport boss Dave Jones it was nothing but disappointment in the end. “It was a crazy game,” he said. “We were brilliant going forward, but Christmas came again for Burnley. We just didn't defend and the game could have ended 10-10.

“We had two good chances when we were 3-2 up and all afternoon the bench felt we had to be two goals ahead, that we always needed that extra goal. At 4-3 down we still had chances and everybody is disappointed.”

Just a couple of days after the game Mullen tried to sign Notts County's veteran striker Devon White but having missed out he finally was able to sign Helliwell who had scored against us in this game.

The win took us to fifth in the table at half way, but there was no happy ending for the Burnley manager who was to remain in charge for only four more games, all of which were lost.

For the statisticians, this game saw Burnley have 17 shots on goal, Stockport just one less, and both sides having 10 each on target.

The teams were;

Burnley: Marlon Beresford, Chris Brass, Peter Swan, Mark Winstanley, Chris Vinnicombe, Gerry Harrison, Jamie Hoyland (David Eyres 61), Warren Joyce, Paul Weller (John Francis 63), Andy Cooke, Kurt Nogan. Sub not used: Liam Robinson.

Stockport County: Neil Edwards, Sean Connelly, Lee Todd, Chris Marsden, Mike Flynn, Matthew Bound, Chris Beaumont, Jeff Eckhardt, Ian Helliwell, Alun Armstrong, John Jeffers (Ben Thornley 79). Subs not used: Tony Dinning, Michael Oliver.

Referee: David Allison (Lancaster).

Attendance: 9,113.
These 3 users liked this post: dsr wilks_bfc 4:20

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 am

The referee in the match was a teacher at the school I attended, taught French and History as well as games. He sent me off for spitting, on the floor, not at someone.

Nice bloke and a good teacher.

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 am

Interesting that we played 5 blokes that played centre half in that side. Assume Harrison and Hoyland played in midfield that day and we played wing backs.

As said above I have no recollection of this match.

Another footnote is the manager for Stockport is Jones, what ever happened in the investigation into him? I can remember it kicking off but not the end result

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am

County had some very reasonable players in their ranks to be fair. For a handful of years our games against them were mostly memorable ones.

I don't know why they considered us their big rivals though. They still do apparently. Around the time of this game we went shopping in Manchester. We were stood waiting for traffic to clear so we could cross the road when the horn from a tram honked loud and long. The tram driver had clearly noticed my Burnley shirt and wanted my attention.

I looked over at him and he was gesticulating angrily towards me. I was shocked momentarily but then burst into a fit of laughter. At that point he brought the tram to a full stop, opened his window and yelled some obscenities at me. His passengers looked stunned, as did the other people who were waiting to cross the road.

Some folk, eh?

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am

Preece, Beaumont and Francis were pretty formidable at third division level.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:26 pm

This was one of my earliest matches. There were some lads stood behind me and my Dad chanting "Mullen out" when they scored and "Mullen in" when we did. I had absolutely no idea what that meant but I just knew I was having loads of fun!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pm

This I believe was also MDWat’s first game. What a match to get you hooked!

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Red Fox Rocks Socks wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 am
Another footnote is the manager for Stockport is Jones, what ever happened in the investigation into him? I can remember it kicking off but not the end result
He was cleared of all charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/dec ... 20evidence.
This user liked this post: Red Fox Rocks Socks

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:47 pm

I went to the 5-0 hammering at Carlisle probably the worst I have seen Burnley play in the 51 years I have held a season ticket.

The only plus was that it was a nail in Mullens coffin who was well passed his sell by date

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 pm

I remember Randall getting sold to York City - he was our best player at the time, I thought. We had some strange transfer dealings around that time, though. Didn't Kurt Nogan get sent to Preston for a pittance the following season?

Jones has always been a real whinger. "We were better, they were lucky". Yeah, yeah.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Yes I think so.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 190 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Michael Oliver the sub for Stockport went on to be a decent ref utc

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times

Post by kritichris » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:38 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Didn't Kurt Nogan get sent to Preston for a pittance the following season?
I remember Nogan leaving under a bit of a cloud and coming back to the Turf scoring for Preston ( as usually happens with ex strikers) which was annoying as I used to sponsor his socks, but we equalised so not a disaster. I stopped sponsoring his socks then.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Was indeed my first game. 8-)

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:06 am

MDWat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:57 pm
Was indeed my first game. 8-)
Think I missed most of the goals taking you to the loo, because it was “too loud” :lol:

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:30 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:46 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:06 am
Think I missed most of the goals taking you to the loo, because it was “too loud” :lol:
No different to now :D