What point/s was SD trying to get across 2 months ago ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

What point/s was SD trying to get across 2 months ago ?

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 pm

SD has time and time repeated in many, many press conferences / interviews about the constraints of the budget at Burnley obviously being a small town club run by a "normal" board of directors and he has highlighted the "issues" buying players, attracting players, the wage ceiling etc etc.
He has worked superbly under these conditions for the past few years.
On top of the above mid/late March COVID appears and turns the country/world upside down to make the above issues only worse.

So a couple of months ago what exactly knowing he knows all of the above was he trying to say ?

I am peeved at the handling of the certain players extensions until the end of the extended season ?

You cant expect me to keep pulling rabbits out of a hat season after season I need more ?

Other clubs I am ready to leave please show some interest in me ?

The board need to trust me and give me extra funding ?

Or something else ? or a combination of some of the above ?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3158 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: What point/s was SD trying to get across 2 months ago ?

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:44 pm

I don't know, but he certainly wasn't taking into consideration things like this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49527 which the board certainly would have been - different big pictures on the Venn diagram here with not too much overlap it seemed/felt like

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:03 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 pm
SD has time and time repeated in many, many press conferences / interviews about the constraints of the budget at Burnley obviously being a small town club run by a "normal" board of directors and he has highlighted the "issues" buying players, attracting players, the wage ceiling etc etc.
He has worked superbly under these conditions for the past few years.
On top of the above mid/late March COVID appears and turns the country/world upside down to make the above issues only worse.

So a couple of months ago what exactly knowing he knows all of the above was he trying to say ?

I am peeved at the handling of the certain players extensions until the end of the extended season ?

You cant expect me to keep pulling rabbits out of a hat season after season I need more ?

Other clubs I am ready to leave please show some interest in me ?

The board need to trust me and give me extra funding ?

Or something else ? or a combination of some of the above ?
My take on Sean Dyche's "expression of unhappiness" was the restart of the Premier League and his frustration in discovering that players whose contracts ended on 30th June could make themselves unavailable for the remaining 9 games of the season. I don't think there was any prospect of Hart, Lennon and Hendrick extending their contracts and making themselves available for the games in July. Phil Bardsley returned to the fold with agreement to a new 1 season contract, maybe previously Phil had hoped for 2 seasons. Maybe Sean Dyche's "unhappiness" helped get Bards on board for 1 more season. It appears that Sean Dyche's "expression" of support for his players and his squad worked out ok in the results that were achieved in those 9 games, particularly with the growing injuries and the physical efforts the players had to put in to get those results.

From where we are at present, it looks like it all worked out well.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:15 pm

Seemed an odd outburst to me regarding player contracts. Hart was always going to be allowed to leave and BPF was waiting in the wings as his replacement, Lennon was another year older and a bit part player so no big loss, Hendrick had made his mind up he was going a while ago and, despite late efforts, nothing was going to change his mind, which just left Bardsley who we eventually decided to (correctly, in my view) re-sign for another year. I’m not really sure what all the fuss was about. He may be rightly upset if we fail to sign replacements, but there is still time to do so. Just seemed a strange time time to come out with the comments when he did, unless it was just a cute way of trying to advertise his own availability?
This user liked this post: simonclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:21 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:03 pm
My take on Sean Dyche's "expression of unhappiness" was the restart of the Premier League and his frustration in discovering that players whose contracts ended on 30th June could make themselves unavailable for the remaining 9 games of the season.
I think his frustrations have been going on a lot longer than that and from his Sky interview today they don't seem to have gone away, another subtle reference to it all being done by the chairman.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5054 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:28 pm

We all get frustrated, why should SD be any different. He is in a difficult position, and working with one hand tied behind his back.
That said, he does understand the realities of the club, and if we all just walked out everytime we felt frustrated at work, factories would have a revolving door. Sometimes I sound off at my boss at work. He knows it's just getting it off my chest, and I feel better for it after. I'm sure it makes SD feel better as well.
We all gauge our positivity/negativity on Dyches body language. If he sounds happy, most of us are, if he sounds down, too many start to panic. It's going to be a long time until the end of the window, and as usual nothing is likely to happen until the final few days. I suggest a chill pill, lie down in a dark room, try and avoid this message board, particularly the 'transfer news with link' thread.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho KateR

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Don't know if this is the interview to which CT is referring - no specific mention of the chairman doing the deals (although granted, he will have the final say)

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/1 ... ew-players

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:00 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pm
Don't know if this is the interview to which CT is referring - no specific mention of the chairman doing the deals (although granted, he will have the final say)

He says that it's down to the chairmen in relation to fees for players.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:58 pm

https://twitter.com/TheClarets_com/stat ... 3546357762

Go to 1 minute on this video.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6755 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Surely his frustration is caused simply by him wanting more money than the board is prepared to give him.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:06 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:04 pm
Surely his frustration is caused simply by him wanting more money than the board is prepared to give him.
If it was me I would probably swap prepared to able
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:09 pm

But it's no different at any other club, in that the chairman will always have the last say on fees/wages being paid out
I find it hard to believe that MG has not sat at the table with Dyche and Rigg to agree/stipulate a ballpark figure on a transfer budget this summer
It might be hard to stomach such a figure given but if that's the limit then so be it and then its over to Rigg to come up with viable targets for SD to consider

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:06 pm
If it was me I would probably swap prepared to able
Yep, that's more like it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:04 pm
I think it's more that he isn't given a budget and he doesn't know what he has rather than him wanting more. I don't think the frustration has gone away at all and I still think he'd have been gone had their been any vacancies in the last couple of months.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm

The Chairman was right in not extending the contracts for Hart and Lennon.
Hendrick for me was a very different situation but it should have been dealt with a full year before his contract expired. If at that point he was refusing to sign an extension he should have been sold. The club allowed a very marketable player to walk away for nothing.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:15 pm
I think it's more that he isn't given a budget and he doesn't know what he has rather than him wanting more. I don't think the frustration has gone away at all and I still think he'd have been gone had their been any vacancies in the last couple of months.
I interpret the comments in a similar way - and that is something SD has been referencing for years, and as you have been saying that has become both more explicit and increasingly more repeated in the last year to a point it has become a boiler plate response.

This highlights a determination to maintain a hierarchy of decision making, to my mind at least, and allows the Chairman to adapt to circumstances he may need to keep mum re Premier League business.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
You really have come across as very negative in recent months Tony. I really don't know why, unless it's frustrations with certain aspects of these boards.

I've been saying for months that Sean is / was going nowhere, and up to press I've been proved right. I seriously believe that he wants to build a dynasty here, but if he continues reading all the negative stuff from posters on here, he might just take the huff and go.

Let's have a bit more positivity.

C'mon you PL Clarets.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Gordaleman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:31 pm
You really have come across as very negative in recent months Tony. I really don't know why, unless it's frustrations with certain aspects of these boards.

I've been saying for months that Sean is / was going nowhere, and up to press I've been proved right. I seriously believe that he wants to build a dynasty here, but if he continues reading all the negative stuff from posters on here, he might just take the huff and go.

Let's have a bit more positivity.

C'mon you PL Clarets.
I'm not negative at all - I just think had a suitable offer come up then Sean Dyche would have been very keen to take it. During Project Restart he talked more than once about potential opportunities elsewhere. You continued to say he'd still be here, and it is now certain he will, but I still think we'd have struggled to keep him had say Villa, Palace or West Ham jobs become available. We are told that the compensation figure is a bit prohibitive but that figure will reduce as his contract has less time to run.

Not negative at all, not positive either, just how I read the situation.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:52 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

And rightly so, the chairman should have the final say.

Does he need to be more supportive? Possibly.

Do those who go to him with options need to explain them better? Possibly

It could be a combination of the above, but for every whine about us not competing with other clubs in the transfer market, there is always the (slightly contradicting) line that we are a club in a healthy financial position

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:53 pm

And he may do a Hendrik in the end, ie not sign an extension and be here as at the beginning on a 12 month rolling contract leaving us with neither big bill if we sack him nor a pot of gold if he leaves us.
I imagine the Chairman will hope to be able to make a profit each year for future developments; giving a manager an £xmillion budget will guarantee it is all spent and then the manager later does an Oliver Twist and wants more. The chairman needs to make sure he doesn't end up like Old Mother Hubbard.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
If that is the case then, if the fault lies anywhere, it lies with the Chairman.

Sean Dyche is entitled to know what finances he has to work with. That may not be the case at every club, but it is at Burnley.

Mike Garlick has to work out money we can afford, and tell Sean accordingly.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:11 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

He was talking about outgoings with regards to the comment about the chairman having the final say.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:18 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 pm
If that is the case then, if the fault lies anywhere, it lies with the Chairman.

Sean Dyche is entitled to know what finances he has to work with. That may not be the case at every club, but it is at Burnley.

That's where I think the frustration has grown - he isn't given a budget by the chairman/board.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:19 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 pm

really - Sean is the manager not Sporting Director (which is a role he appears to want to play at times) or Chief Executive - as for the last point is that not the way it works - Sean always says the Chairman will tell him if they can afford it or not

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Just to generate stories and nothing more, so folk like you spend more time thinking about Dyche instead of your persistent ailment.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm

People go on here about Hendrick but the only person who drove him away was the manager himself.

He played him everywhere but his best position in centre midfield - why because certain players at the club for a few years have been undroppable

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:11 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:19 pm
really - Sean is the manager not Sporting Director (which is a role he appears to want to play at times) or Chief Executive - as for the last point is that not the way it works - Sean always says the Chairman will tell him if they can afford it or not
SD has been given serious amounts of money. Unfortunately we are not making enough profit or I'm sure he'd be given more to spend.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:48 pm

I really can't believe that when Rigg and Dyche sit down with Garlick and ask "what is our transfer budget", he just shrugs his shoulders and says "I don't know" or even worse, "I'm not telling you"
Seriously, do people actually accept that to be the case
Of course any situations affecting budgets may change, which will be the case with us if say, Gibson,Tarks or McNeill go
He leads a worldwide organisation where budgets matter
He has led this club into profitability over a number of years and yet people have this idea that he has done it by luck more than judgement (which is what budget control is all about)
I am not holding him up as a shining light and have criticised him as much as anyone else but sometimes Dyche gets my back up with inept comments such as the ones of late
This user liked this post: jtv

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Trouble is that if he goes to Villa then many of the signings will be made without his say so. Dean Smith has little say in who he signs by all accounts.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:51 pm
Dean Smith has little say in who he signs by all accounts.
that has changed judging by recent activity