Is Dyche fighting his battle on his own

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Is Dyche fighting his battle on his own

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm
Is Garlick reluctant to give Dyche cash because he thinks Dyche will leave as soon as an opportunity arises, or is that a little far fetched?
No I think is the simple answer to that.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:55 pm
Stirring? I’m giving an opinion, no more, no less.
People respect your opinion and believe you’re in the know. If you are spill the beans, if not perhaps rise above tittle tattle.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 pm
I’ve posted a few times that I think he’s here still because no opportunities have come up. There are two sides to every argument but this one is doing the club no favours.
If that's the case and its as bad a suggested and its gone beyond repairable then maybe a mutual termination might be the best idea .

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Just read that in today’s presser he was asked if he is in regular contact with the chairman and he replied “now and again”. Doesn’t sound good!!!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm
People respect your opinion and believe you’re in the know. If you are spill the beans, if not perhaps rise above tittle tattle.
Nothing to rise above. I’ve said countless times it is an opinion and it’s based on how Dyche has spoken in press conferences. I first detected a problem last summer with Dyche constantly referencing the problems getting players in. There are things I do know but what I’ve been posting is an opinion I’ve had for over a year.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:57 pm
So put yourself in the chairman's shoes; would you give SD a budget given that you think he'd like out?
How about the budget is to keep the club in the Premier League ?.Not giving the manager a budget because that manager might leave would be an absurd example of cutting your nose off to spite your face
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm
Couldn't agree more - can't see much changing though unfortunately. No one seemed to want to believe me some time ago but manager and chairman seem to continue to be at loggerheads and ultimately there will only be one solution and that will be one of them having to go. It doesn't take a genius to work out which one of the two it will be either.
I’d prefer it to be Garlick. He’s taken the club as far as he can but he is now out if his depth and holding the club back.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 pm

No, Woan. Next in line to The Throne.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Assistant? Greg Little.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Backroom advisor? Brian Laws.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:20 pm

What's your B.Team?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:27 pm

If it’s tittle tattle I have some regarding Dyche, but it’s from a third party via my other half. Her hairdresser is good friends with Mrs Dyche (good enough friends to visit his house with the kids) and she said it’s almost a running joke that Dyche will only manage a team in claret and blue... the recent mention of it however was accompanied with a wry smile...
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm
I’d prefer it to be Garlick. He’s taken the club as far as he can but he is now out if his depth and holding the club back.
Let’s give him this window. I fear it might end like the last two but I live in hope.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:39 pm

He doesn't need any money, so he's interested in SPORT.

That's WHY he's manager of Burnley.

I remember when Forest came to Burnley with Tony Morley in the 76-77 and won 1-0.

That's when I knew

I asked my dad to put a bet on for me, for Nottingham Forest to get third place promotion and then win the league an for Viv Anderson to become the first black player for England as a combined bet.

Because I was under-age and my dad was tied up with other things and it was so far-fetched, it was taken as rhetorical and that was that.

Jockey Dyche has his eye on the prize from the run of last season.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:35 pm
Do you have any sense of how many board members play an important role at the club still? I'm presuming for people like Clive Holt that the role for him is a fairly ceremonial one
Clive Holt only goes for the red wine and a free meal every Saturday

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:39 pm
He doesn't need any money, so he's interested in SPORT.

That's WHY he's manager of Burnley.

I remember when Forest came to Burnley with Tony Morley in the 76-77 and won 1-0.

That's when I knew

I asked my dad to put a bet on for me, for Nottingham Forest to get third place promotion and then win the league an for Viv Anderson to become the first black player for England as a combined bet.

Because I was under-age and my dad was tied up with other things and it was so far-fetched, it was taken as rhetorical and that was that.

Jockey Dyche has his eye on the prize from the run of last season.
Tony Morley never played for Forest ,in fact he played for us then ?

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 pm

Good. You've saved his reputation for that night. It WAS Viv Anderson who put in a storming performance according to inter-team tactics, to stop him as a venomous attacking force.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 pm
Good. You've saved his reputation for that night. It WAS Viv Anderson who put in a storming performance according to inter-team tactics, to stop him as a venomous attacking force.
Oh , got you :roll:

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:17 pm

Go and cuddle your Jimellfixit from Argos, Jo.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 pm

A depressing read especially as it seemed to me that we had (have) a good chance of another top ten finish. Some posters continually harp on about four players leaving . Let's be realistic about this as there is only one of the four who was ever likely to feature with any regularity in the coming season. The remaining three would barely manage a couple of matches in total between them in the coming season but still make a big demand on the salaries budget. Seems like a bit of good business to get them 'off the books.'
Again all this moaning about an 'ageing squad' as though it was self evident . It is in the sense that like all the rest of us players age year on year but this is not an 'ageing squad as though they cannot run, or get out of breath after half an hours play. We have an 'average age ' squad.
As for SD we might consider getting a transfer fee for him !
He is a great manager but Burnley have given him a good platform to work from and paid him millions into the bargain. He was unemployed when Burnley gave him a chance and it has worked out brilliantly for all parties. (If newspaper articles are anything to go by he is due a £2.5 million bonus in January for keeping Burnley in the PL.) Might be a good time for him to be more publicly supportive of the Chairman himself.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 pm

claret59 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 pm
A depressing read especially as it seemed to me that we had (have) a good chance of another top ten finish. Some posters continually harp on about four players leaving . Let's be realistic about this as there is only one of the four who was ever likely to feature with any regularity in the coming season. The remaining three would barely manage a couple of matches in total between them in the coming season but still make a big demand on the salaries budget. Seems like a bit of good business to get them 'off the books.'
Again all this moaning about an 'ageing squad' as though it was self evident . It is in the sense that like all the rest of us players age year on year but this is not an 'ageing squad as though they cannot run, or get out of breath after half an hours play. We have an 'average age ' squad.
He is a great manager but Burnley have given him a good platform to work from and paid him millions into the bargain. He was unemployed when Burnley gave him a chance and it has worked out brilliantly for all parties. (If newspaper articles are anything to go by he is due a £2.5 million bonus in January for keeping Burnley in the PL.) Might be a good time for him to be more publicly supportive of the Chairman himself.
Why? He's getting the £2.5m regardless. I don't think he's out of order in going public. He's obviously been trying behind closed doors to get funds, but MG is being a tight arse.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 am

The Daily Mail at the weekend can always be relied on for some news about Dyche and Burnley and today he describes the club's transfer dealings as "last minute" and "tricky".

I would describe them as coming down to the hotel buffet 10 minutes before it closes to see what dishes (if any) remain. :cry:

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:19 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 am
The Daily Mail at the weekend can always be relied on for some news about Dyche and Burnley and today he describes the club's transfer dealings as "last minute" and "tricky".

I would describe them as coming down to the hotel buffet 10 minutes before it closes to see what dishes (if any) remain. :cry:
He also said "sell before buy" which is what I said last night.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 am

If we scrape and stay up this season, lose 3-4 more out of contract players, what next year? Squad of 14?
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 am

What a depressing thread this is.

Whatever the outcome, unless we end up with some reliable and trustworthy investors, there is unlikely to be a happy ending here.

To allow relationships to disintegrate, to the points being mentioned, does absolutely no favours for Garlick. He’s not going to find a better manager than Dyche, if all of this results in him leaving and the impact of that would be far reaching and felt for years to come.

This could quite literally be male or break time for Garlick’s stewardship. There is plenty criticism of Rigg not having made an impact but if there’s sod all done by Garlick to obtain some of the targets identified, what’s the point in him being there?

Although we are only seeing one side of things, it smacks of **** poor leadership. If there is potential investment out there, this saga isn’t going to be encouraging progress on that front.
These 3 users liked this post: joey13 mybloodisclaret jojomk1

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:58 am

The thread is only depressing because the whole situation surrounding the club and lack of any positive news on incoming transfers is depressing.

Don't shoot the message board. ;)
This user liked this post: DCWat

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:04 am

claret59 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:46 pm
Thanks Mike , now get some recruitment done and show a bit more respect towards the best manager we’ve had for decades
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 am

Out of curiousity, why do people think Garlick isn't releasing funds?

It's not his money we'd be spending. There's talk of "preparing" the accounts for takeover but, realistically, converting assets from one class to another (cash to players) isn't going to have a huge impact, particularly if they have a decent potential resale value.

Why do people think it is happening?
This user liked this post: jojomk1

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am

aggi wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 am

It's not his money we'd be spending. There's talk of "preparing" the accounts for takeover but, realistically, converting assets from one class to another (cash to players) isn't going to have a huge impact, particularly if they have a decent potential resale value.

It’s surely the lack of converting any cash into players.

There seems to be something of a view on here that the signing of a player is x million being lost. Even more so if they’re players that could return a profit. They’re anything but a loss, both whilst with us (assuming they deliver) and then if sold on.

We’ve supposedly put together a team to identify suitable players (presumably some of these are that sort of player) but seem not to be utilising the output of their work, for whatever reason.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am

aggi wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 am

ChesterPerry or Royboy would give you better understanding.

But my opinion is we have let the wage bill get too high for comfort (which happens with every premier league club or they would all spend big).

In normal circumstances we would have around 15 to 20m for transfers, but Covid has wiped around 50m off our funds.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am
ChesterPerry or Royboy would give you better understanding.

But my opinion is we have let the wage bill get too high for comfort (which happens with every premier league club or they would all spend big).

In normal circumstances we would have around 15 to 20m for transfers, but Covid has wiped around 50m off our funds.
And who has allowed that to happen?

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:05 am

DCWat wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:53 am
The Chinese :o ;)
This user liked this post: DCWat

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:27 am

By my rough calculations we have taken £10m off the wage bill with the release of Ledgzdins, Lennon, Hart, Hendrick and Gibson.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:58 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:53 am
At a guess I would say the chairman under a lot of pressure from the manager.

As Andy Holt Accy chairman says 'a lot of very smart businessmen come into football and make stupid mistakes that they wouldn't allow in their everyday business'.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am

We haven’t lost £50m though have we?

You are getting this from MGs statement earlier in the year that “if” football doesn’t resume/finish the season then the worst case scenario is we “could” be facing a loss “up too” £50m

Sounds more like a bit of scaremongering to me. In any instance football has resumed and we haven’t come close to losing anything like £50m I’d be surprised if we’ve lost anything at all.

MG and the board are running the club like a corner shop. This league is too big for them simple as that.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Right_winger wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:17 pm
We haven’t lost £50m though have we?

You are getting this from MGs statement earlier in the year that “if” football doesn’t resume/finish the season then the worst case scenario is we “could” be facing a loss “up too” £50m

Sounds more like a bit of scaremongering to me. In any instance football has resumed and we haven’t come close to losing anything like £50m I’d be surprised if we’ve lost anything at all.

MG and the board are running the club like a corner shop. This league is too big for them simple as that.
There's far more clued up people on the clubs finances than me but

We had to reimburse ticket and ST holders for last season.
Pay 13.4m back to Sky tv
Accept half a million less off the shirt sponsor
Miss out on match day revenue/corporate

That's what I know about

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:38 pm
There's far more clued up people on the clubs finances than me but

We had to reimburse ticket and ST holders for last season.
Pay 13.4m back to Sky tv
Accept half a million less off the shirt sponsor
Miss out on match day revenue/corporate

That's what I know about
We must have made up some of the lost finances by finishing 10th rather than 17th though at roughly £2 million per place.

That's around £14 million gained we won't have budgeted for.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm
We must have made up some of the lost finances by finishing 10th rather than 17th though at roughly £2 million per place.

Doesn't that money get paid as a bonus to the playing staff?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

The opinion on here is that any extra place money is paid to the squad in bonuses.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:02 pm

In the Laws prem relegation, the extra place paid for the new pitch!

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Season ticket refund isn't masses. Its for what 1/4 of the season? Maybe a million or two? And given the amounts were fairly small in the end I'd bet a lot of fans took the -"reinvest" option. I did.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:47 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm
Season ticket refund isn't masses. Its for what 1/4 of the season? Maybe a million or two? And given the amounts were fairly small in the end I'd bet a lot of fans took the -"reinvest" option. I did.
I would estimate that the club will be refunding approximately 75% of season ticket income. The numbers aren’t huge but when you add up the loss of revenue from the things already mentioned it will be sizeable. And it’s not just a case of the lost revenue, it’s the uncertainty of when things will get back to normal which must be a factor.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:47 pm
I would estimate that the club will be refunding approximately 75% of season ticket income. The numbers aren’t huge but when you add up the loss of revenue from the things already mentioned it will be sizeable. And it’s not just a case of the lost revenue, it’s the uncertainty of when things will get back to normal which must be a factor.
The return to normal will be a far bigger impact if it’s in the Championship.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Of course it will, but we will have accounted for that eventuality. Signing a few players doesn’t eliminate the threat of relegation.

Garlick is managing the club’s finances entirely in a way that he feels is in the long term benefit of the club. Can we agree on that? As he will have infinitely more understanding of our current financial situation, and the potential impact of COVID than me, I find it hard to be overly critical of him.

If he was lining his own pockets then I would feel entirely differently.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Gordaleman

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:32 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Correct, but being 30m in debt and relegated in 2 years will be even worse.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm
Of course it will, but we will have accounted for that eventuality. Signing a few players doesn’t eliminate the threat of relegation.

Garlick is managing the club’s finances entirely in a way that he feels is in the long term benefit of the club. Can we agree on that? As he will have infinitely more understanding of our current financial situation, and the potential impact of COVID than me, I find it hard to be overly critical of him.

If he was lining his own pockets then I would feel entirely differently.

I'm bored of it all now, no one is taking ownership of the impending mess. Maybe Garlick hasn't invested in enough young players when he had the chance (profitable years) and Dyche is maybe to rigid in what he wants...I've know idea anymore and quite frankly theres other stuff to worry about. If this is our last year in the EPL, then all I can say is it's been absolutely brilliant.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:38 pm

I'd like to know how much money it would take to guarantee :
(a) SD stays, and in a better frame of mind than at present
(b) we retain PL status
(c) we retain PL status for 21-22 season

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:38 pm
I'd like to know how much money it would take to guarantee :
(a) SD stays, and in a better frame of mind than at present
(b) we retain PL status
(c) we retain PL status for 21-22 season
No amount of money guarantees the last 2.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 pm
Exactly.
So how can the chairman be blamed for lack of investment if that perceived lack gets us relegated?

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:13 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 pm
No investment into the first team squad guarantees relegation
This user liked this post: randomclaret2