ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by claretandy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:06 pm

ALK Capital are moving closer to finalising a deal to buy Burnley amid optimism that a takeover by the American sports investment company could be concluded before Christmas.

Alan Pace, a former president of Major League Soccer franchise Real Salt Lake who heads up ALK, has been in daily dialogue with Burnley chairman Mike Garlick. Talks are now at an advanced after months of negotiations and an extensive due diligence process.

Egyptian entrepreneur Mohamed Sayed Zein Elkashashy and Chris Farnell, a Cheshire-based sports lawyer, have also been vying for ownership of Burnley. However, ALK appear to be in pole position to acquire Garlick’s majority 49.24 per cent shareholding and John Banaszkiewicz’s 28.2 per cent stake in the Premier League club.

There are still details to be ironed out but there is quiet confidence a buyout could be completed in the coming weeks and well in advance of the January transfer window, when manager Sean Dyche will be eager to strengthen his squad.

Pace, who splits his time between London and New York and is reported to have been househunting in the Lancashire area, considers Dyche to be central to his plans for Burnley. ALK and Burnley have both declined to comment.

Burnley moved out of the relegation zone on Monday night after claiming their first league win of the campaign with a precious 1-0 victory over Crystal Palace at Turf Moor but face a tough task away to Manchester City on Saturday.

Dyche’s relationship with Garlick has become severely strained this year and Burnley’s failure to adequately strengthen in the summer window did little to ease tensions.

Veteran midfielder Dale Stephen was Burnley’s only senior recruit, despite the departures of Jeff Hendrick, Aaron Lennon and Joe Hart, and the situation was compounded in the opening weeks of the season by injuries to a host of key players.

Midfielder Jack Cork is still sidelined but Dyche has a number of players back now as Burnley set their sights on moving up to the table, although the manager remains eager for reinforcements.

Pace previously tried to buy Sheffield United and worked in various senior roles for Citigroup, in addition to being managing director of now defunct US bank Lehman Brothers for 12 years until 2006.

An investor in the transfer market platform Player Lens, Pace is an advocate for increased use of technology in the transfer market and scouting, if not a “Moneyball” style approach to recruitment and analytics.

In a column for Sport Business in August, Pace wrote: “As someone who worked for 20 years on Wall Street before entering the world of sport, the positive impact that technology and data can have on a vertical as big as football’s transfer market comes as no surprise.

“I’ve long believed that talent identification, player development and performance in sport can be aided and enhanced by state-of-the-art technology and predictive analytics used throughout other industries.

“Why, for example, would a club take a chance on signing a big-money player or adopt a specific training method without concrete data that the actions can have a positive impact on performance and development of the team?

“This isn’t about playing ‘Moneyball’ or using data to identify low-cost, high-return solutions, but being insight led and using the technology at our disposal to make smarter decisions that will carry long-term benefits.”
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:05 pm
West Brom also looking like they could be bought out by some Americans according to John Percy last night.
It's definitely about us, but Carnt read anymore. Local journos more interested in a signing for under 23s

Edit.... Full version now posted above, thanks

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:16 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Pace previously tried to buy Sheffield United and worked in various senior roles for Citigroup, in addition to being managing director of now defunct US bank Lehman Brothers for 12 years until 2006.
Just this little bit about "being managing director of Lehman Brothers...." Investment banks have many, many people who hold the title "managing director" - it doesn't mean he was the managing director of Lehmans, just one of the staff holding a more senior position than "analyst," "vice president" "executive director" etc.

I've not watched "Industry" yet. I imagine there are many "managing directors" or similar in this tv programme.

Before anyone worries, Alan Pace was nowhere near the part of Lehman's business that "bust the bank."

And, "managing director" is the job title he held when Lehman Brothers business failed. I'd guess he started out as an "analyst" then was promoted to "vp" and was later promoted again to "md."

My source for Alan Pace's career - LinkedIn. I'm sure that's exactly the same as the Telegraph journo.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32243 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:56 am
A word of advice to Mr Garlick.

Make sure the money is in your bank account before you sign over your shares.

My prediction is that neither bid will be successful due to ‘a complete lack of clarity where the funds for the bid are coming from’.
So you actually believe both bids won't be able to provide any proof of funding when it has been widely reported that one already has.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm
Does anyone have Mike’s contact details so we can forward this crucial advice on?
I do should it be necessary

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:02 pm
ALK Capital closing in on Burnley takeover
Although Mohamed Sayed Zein Elkashashy and Chris Farnell have also shown interest, ALK appear to be in pole position for the deal

By
James Ducker,
NORTHERN FOOTBALL CORRESPONDENT
24 November 2020 • 4:49pm

ALK Capital are moving closer to finalising a deal to buy Burnley amid optimism that a takeover by the American sports investment company could be concluded before Christmas....

and that's the end of my "non-subscriber" access.

UTC
Haven't read the article but I'm sure that I've been told during my investigations that Ducker is well in with a guy called James Fletcher whose PR company is used by Farnell. I'm just checking that.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Well as long as they change the pies I'll be happy, those Holland's cremated things are crap!!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Assuming they have proper funding to provide the manager, the words from ALK seem to align well with what Dyche is like. It seems an alround more optimistic and less risky approach - more Burnley, if you will.

No Farnell either has to be a plus.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm
So you actually believe both bids won't be able to provide any proof of funding when it has been widely reported that one already has.
I'm not saying it is the case here but there's a big difference between proving you have the funds and proving the provenance of the funds. Rules for this are getting ever stricter in the UK and Europe and funds from other territories can fall afoul of this.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3773 times
Has Liked: 12366 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:38 pm
Well as long as they change the pies I'll be happy, those Holland's cremated things are crap!!
And they need to get mushy peas back on the menu!
These 2 users liked this post: Andreshotboots Zlatan

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5522 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
There are some that have been in the warmer since March. Mmmmmmm lovely.
These 2 users liked this post: Andreshotboots longsidepies

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:51 pm

49C7116B-2EBA-46B6-B718-8AAD993E6E48.jpeg
49C7116B-2EBA-46B6-B718-8AAD993E6E48.jpeg (292.42 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:36 pm
Haven't read the article but I'm sure that I've been told during my investigations that Ducker is well in with a guy called James Fletcher whose PR company is used by Farnell. I'm just checking that.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Vegas Claret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:56 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Assuming they have proper funding to provide the manager, the words from ALK seem to align well with what Dyche is like. It seems an alround more optimistic and less risky approach - more Burnley, if you will.

No Farnell either has to be a plus.
From all the people I've spoken to, and that's many now, it is obvious that the two approaches would be completely different.

I know very little about ALK other than the fact that they've been involved in football previously, that they have some connections in Lancashire around 25 miles from the Turf. Having said that, those I have spoken to about them have all generally been very positive about their approach and about them as people.

As for the other deal, I've spoken to far too many people who have been ringing alarm bells at the mere mention of Farnell. That's not just people from Charlton I can assure you although I have spoken to them both at supporter and club level. Should that deal win the day then I would be very concerned.

I don't know where the funding is coming from for either deal but it seems that the ALK deal would be funded from various sources while the other bid is more likely to come from less different sources.

From what I've learned, with no mention of northern powerhouse or being state owned, I'd be on the American side right now.
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master ClaretAL

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
The last time I had one, and it is some years ago, the base of the pie was black and I burned my mouth. I was offered a voucher for another pie. I declined and told them I'd not be touching their pies again, they are bloody dangerous.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Anyone know why Pace’s proposed takeover of Sheffield Utd failed?

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:57 pm
The last time I had one, and it is some years ago, the base of the pie was black and I burned my mouth. I was offered a voucher for another pie. I declined and told them I'd not be touching their pies again, they are bloody dangerous.
The last pie I got at Turf Moor had a fat, large black ball of pure gristle that almost broke my tooth. Never again.

Vanders1994
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Vanders1994 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:06 pm

From what you know Tony, if Ducker is close with Farnells PR agency then would this suggest a climbdown from EL Kashasy and Farnell as he would be pushing this if they were in pole position?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Has anyone watched Tedd Lasso on Apple TV?

Begining to wonder if it could be a premonition of our future.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:09 pm

Vanders1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:06 pm
From what you know Tony, if Ducker is close with Farnells PR agency then would this suggest a climbdown from EL Kashasy and Farnell as he would be pushing this if they were in pole position?
I'm just trying to get that confirmed

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Let’s just pray it gets done in the next fortnight or so to allow some time to have conversations with Dyche and get a proper January strategy formulated.

Just imagine if this money actually allows us to sign players at the START of a transfer window. I remember when Flood and his wife’s diamonds got Ade in the day the window opened when he first joined the board.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 warksclaret

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Mala591 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm
Anyone know why Pace’s proposed takeover of Sheffield Utd failed?
ALK were trying to buy it from McCabe but he also had a court case going on as to whether he had to sell to someone else. It was a long-running battle with ALK only being on the periphery.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ter-battle

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm

When the news broke originally the ALK group had ties with people from Real Madrid & had discussed around which clubs would fit with their strategy. The more ties & advice from the football world the better......

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm

Stockbrokerbelt wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm
When the news broke originally the ALK group had ties with people from Real Madrid & had discussed around which clubs would fit with their strategy. The more ties & advice from the football world the better......
Would happily take some of Real’s second string on loans...!

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:09 pm
I'm just trying to get that confirmed
Maybe appearing to have been beat in the race is classier than being disqualified from the race

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 pm

MRG wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Maybe appearing to have been beat in the race is classier than being disqualified from the race
Is this the news you referenced earlier MRG?

Vanders1994
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Vanders1994 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks for the information, appreciate that stuff like this makes it harder for everyone involved

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:40 pm

If Elkashashy really is serious and really does have a bundle of cash behind him and if he would be good for the club (indeed any club) with his money and his ambition, then it strikes me he would be well advised to choose himself a wholly different British based "front man", because the mere mention of this guy Farnell in any bid makes it sound immediately toxic and dodgy to many people in football these days and whether that's actually fair or not really doesn't matter. It just does. Although of course it's also possible that they are close mates and actually deserve each other!!

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:42 pm

If the Egyptian wants into be involved why not invest their money into ALKs running of the club and abandon Farnell altogether ? :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:40 pm
If Elkashashy really is serious and really does have a bundle of cash behind him and if he would be good for the club (indeed any club) with his money and his ambition, then it strikes me he would be well advised to choose himself a wholly different British based "front man", because the mere mention of this guy Farnell in any bid makes it sound immediately toxic and dodgy to many people in football these days and whether that's actually fair or not really doesn't matter. It just does. Although of course it's also possible that they are close mates and actually deserve each other!!
If he really is serious and really does have a bundle of cash behind him then why would he use Farnell in the first place? You would think he'd have gone to a decent and established company to support his bid.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:49 pm

MRG wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm
Not sure I understand that - but maybe Ducker is speaking from knowing that his mate's lot are not going to win.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm
If he really is serious and really does have a bundle of cash behind him then why would he use Farnell in the first place? You would think he'd have gone to a decent and established company to support his bid.
Absolutely and basically my point. Anyone who thinks getting involved with Farnell is a good idea immediately gets crossed off the list in my opinion. It's not doing Elkashsashy any favours and actually may say a lot about his judgement. Surely Mike Garlick must be sceptical about his involvement.
This user liked this post: Charlton Boy

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:49 pm
Not sure I understand that - but maybe Ducker is speaking from knowing that his mate's lot are not going to win.
I’m meaning that potentially Ducker got wind of issues with the owners test making a story about them losing the race a preferable narrative to the truth

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:07 pm

MRG wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 pm
I’m meaning that potentially Ducker got wind of issues with the owners test making a story about them losing the race a preferable narrative to the truth
That’s a fair point. Presumably if they failed it’s easier/better for them to position that they lost the race than failed the test.
This user liked this post: MRG

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:13 pm

Think the northern powerhouse ideal was over egged. Yes. ALK have an interest in contributing to the local and wider economy but not some mind blowing, seismic shift as DJW was suggesting. Although I get the point he was trying to make.
I think everyone will be pleased come the end of January and beyond with events. The wheels have been in motion for a long time and you'll see some interesting and pleasing developments come mid January. Some of which will put a big smile on Clarets faces. Possibly even surprise a lot of you.
These 4 users liked this post: MRG randomclaret2 clarethomer mybloodisclaret

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:14 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:13 pm
Think the northern powerhouse ideal was over egged. Yes. ALK have an interest in contributing to the local and wider economy but not some mind blowing, seismic shift as DJW was suggesting. Although I get the point he was trying to make.
I think everyone will be pleased come the end of January and beyond with events. The wheels have been in motion for a long time and you'll see some interesting and pleasing developments come mid January. Some of which will put a big smile on Clarets faces. Possibly even surprise a lot of you.
Are you hearing of developments today?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Will we see some interesting and pleasing developments in the next few days?

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:30 pm

The only thing that puts a Burnley smile on my face is us winning and moving up the table. I'm a simple lad.

All the rest is peripheral although obviously I can see it matters.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat NewClaret longsidepies

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:35 pm

BenWickes wrote:
By interesting and pleasing, do you mean we might partake in that thing that other clubs do - where they sign players that used to play for other clubs in exchange for money? I think they call it player recruitment or something like that?
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Zlatan

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Ct
James Fletcher is with onside pr agency. They issued the statement from Farnell in July in relation to the enquiry into Farnell .

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Tarks signing a new contract. Sean Dyche signing a new contract. Both those would make a great start to Christmas - even if we have to wait until mid-Jan (2021, of course). Re-signing Tripps would be another big plus - even though Lowts did his best last night. Then there are one or two new "stars" in midfield...

and a win on Saturday.

Is all that OK for my Christmas list?

Well, all that and a vaccine and fans back at t'Turf. (Though, things sound to be tough in Hyndburn at the moment).

UTC

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 pm

BenWickes wrote:
The wheels have been in motion for a long time and you'll see some interesting and pleasing developments come mid January. Some of which will put a big smile on Clarets faces. Possibly even surprise a lot of you.
Progression beyond the 3rd round of the FA Cup?!

Seriously though, hope it pans out

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 pm

clansman wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:51 pm
Ct
James Fletcher is with onside pr agency. They issued the statement from Farnell in July in relation to the enquiry into Farnell .
I think it is Fletcher’s company and they do the PR for Farnell. He’s the one who emailed me wanting to tell me all the things said about Farnell were untrue.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 pm

James Fletcher at inside is a one man band operation just like Darnell’s law firm. He has had several companies and dissolved them.
As I’ve said countless times the Farnell Elkashashy “bid” is fantasy.
My Kashashy checked me out on linked in on Sunday.!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:01 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Think the northern powerhouse ideal was over egged
I think that’s an understatement.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Looks like things maybe moving after all

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Now now don't get too carried away :lol:
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:

FA Cup win and Kieron Trippier to sign!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3600 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:01 pm
I think that’s an understatement.
So are we saying that DJW was exaggerating his insider knowledge or putting two and two together and coming up with 2.5, close but not quite right?
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

MRG

Post by MRG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm

DCWat wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm
So are we saying that DJW was exaggerating his insider knowledge or putting two and two together and coming up with 2.5, close but not quite right?
Neither, we clung onto the part of his story that we found the most interesting
This user liked this post: DCWat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:

We’ve gone past the 3rd round in four of the last five seasons. I think you need to set your sights a bit higher. :D