ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:27 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:21 pm
Alan Pace is a football FAN, but I’m not convinced a short stint involved with an MLS team is particularly relevant grounding for running a club in the richest league in the world.

In fact, I fear that an American “enthusiast” with no real understanding of European sport (US sporting culture and organisation is VERY different) could be quite dangerous. Think Hicks and Gillet or Randy Lerner at Villa.

That is my biggest fear, rather than any nefarious “asset stripping” motives.
I was merely pointing out that he has an interest in football. I wouldn’t think Gillet & Hicks at all because our takeover will not be like that.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:53 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:42 pm
How on earth is there any evidence that our trajectory is downwards? It's just nonsense. Death by a thousand cuts? Finishing 10th last season, and now underway this season. Christ, some of you love unfounded nonsense.
The chairman doesn't speak to the manager.
We have a recruitment team that recommend players that never get signed.
The chairman was prepared to sell Tarkowski in the close-season until the manager threatened to walk if he did
The manager (the best one we've had in most of our lifetimes) would have left by now had a decent opportunity come up
Our first team squad is paper-thin. We started a Premier League season with Long and Dunne as starting centre halves - you'd have to go back a long way to match that level of quality in the centre of our defence.
We signed Dale Stephens. The sum total of our summer transfer ambitions.
Our board have entertained the notion of selling the club to Chris Farnell.
We'd have the oldest first team squad in the league - if we could get all of them fit.
The pot of cash we had has gone. I guess it got the asking price up though whilst we had it, so job done.

How long can all that go on? Dyche is working miracles despite the mess at the top of the club. Hopefully the takeover is sorted before the transfer window opens, the manager stays put and some sanity returns.
These 7 users liked this post: Top Claret randomclaret2 THEWELLERNUT70 Dark Cloud nyclaret mybloodisclaret BOYSIE31

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:27 pm
I was merely pointing out that he has an interest in football. I wouldn’t think Gillet & Hicks at all because our takeover will not be like that.
Really? We’ll see. You may well know more than I do, but it they’re paying £200m just to buy the club, I can only assume that any investment in the team is going to be debt financed.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:36 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm
Really? We’ll see. You may well know more than I do, but it they’re paying £200m just to buy the club, I can only assume that any investment in the team is going to be debt financed.
What are they going to use as security for this debt they are going to take on.

We have no lucrative sponsorships/commercial revenues.
Our ground is worth only so much - i would say less than 10m
PL income - most of that goes on wages.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Hurry up, save us from this charlatan and the wreck he has left.
These 3 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop Wokingclaret THEWELLERNUT70

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Oh, say can you see by the dawn’s early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O’er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Please donate a few tens of millions of dollars to us gents. Quickly.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm
You are assuming a lot

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:15 pm

Can we assume that the takeover is almost complete?

prettygreenclaret
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by prettygreenclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Yes, just seeing if anybody close ish to the club has any idea when this takeover maybe completed/announced?

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:28 pm

It's getting unbelievably tedious and I just hope we can sort something out
and get it confirmed in the next week or so.
And that the new owners get behind the club and we can sign a couple of
decent players in January.
And that we stay up, of course.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Announcement presumably waiting on the Premier League approval.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm
You are assuming a lot
Come on CT, you clearly know something. Please tell. We need cheering up after the usual City hammering!!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:56 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:55 pm
Come on CT, you clearly know something. Please tell. We need cheering up after the usual City hammering!!
I don't but I find it amazing that some people can post stuff as scouseclaret did without having a clue what is happening

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:56 pm
I don't but I find it amazing that some people can post stuff as scouseclaret did without having a clue what is happening
Fair enough. :(

Hopefully we’ll hear something soon.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:16 am
Alan Pace is very much a football man too. He's the front man from what's been said over the past few weeks and he was at Salt Lake in the MLS. Pace was also involved with David Checketts when they were trying to purchase Sheffield United.
Hi CT, yes, agree re Alan Pace. I wanted to mention Russell Ball as he's the only ALK individual (so far) that is UK based and has extended background of following an English football team. It was also in response to the idea that ALK include property investors/developers. I think that's a bit misleading with respect to Ball, he's been an estate agent. Re Pace, I think his investment banking experience is going to be important to the success of ALK's plans to invest in Burnley. His involvement with Salt Lake gives him some experience of soccer. ALK will be looking to build on this as they step up to investing in a Premier League club.

Of course, just my thoughts. I've no knowledge about what is going on - other than as reported in the media and on this mb and a look at LinkedIn and Companies House data.

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 pm
Hi CT, yes, agree re Alan Pace. I wanted to mention Russell Ball as he's the only ALK individual (so far) that is UK based and has extended background of following an English football team. It was also in response to the idea that ALK include property investors/developers. I think that's a bit misleading with respect to Ball, he's been an estate agent. Re Pace, I think his investment banking experience is going to be important to the success of ALK's plans to invest in Burnley. His involvement with Salt Lake gives him some experience of soccer. ALK will be looking to build on this as they step up to investing in a Premier League club.

Of course, just my thoughts. I've no knowledge about what is going on - other than as reported in the media and on this mb and a look at LinkedIn and Companies House data.

UTC
I’d seen the name Russell Ball a while ago but didn’t know anything about him.

Have to say that if and when it happens I’ll be eager to know about the plans they have for us

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:56 pm
I’ve never claimed to have any privileged knowledge of what’s going on, but I’ve as much right to speculate as anyone else, and God knows there’s been plenty of that on here.

I do have some knowledge of how private equity works though, and unless these guys are benevolent owners who just want to run a PL football club for their own amusement (which I doubt) I’d be surprised if their plan doesn’t involve loading some debt on the club somewhere down the line.
This user liked this post: Untinted Glasses

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 pm

If nobody knows anything about what's happening, how can anyone be sure that what scouseclaret said was wrong?
This user liked this post: bobinho

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Are they going to spend £40-60m on new players as that is the level we need to compete to stand still

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm
Are they going to spend £40-60m on new players as that is the level we need to compete to stand still
Who knows, but that is the position we find ourselves in.

We’ve been kicking the can down the road repeatedly re squad rejuvenation, the conveyor belt of replacements has dried up and we have moved away from the mantra of ending every summer stronger than we started.

I realise takeovers must be incredibly complex, but does it really take two years to complete? If we are to be relegated this year, then the fattening of the goose by Garlick will be criminal and entirely self serving.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:05 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:56 pm
Who knows, but that is the position we find ourselves in.

We’ve been kicking the can down the road repeatedly re squad rejuvenation, the conveyor belt of replacements has dried up and we have moved away from the mantra of ending every summer stronger than we started.

I realise takeovers must be incredibly complex, but does it really take two years to complete? If we are to be relegated this year, then the fattening of the goose by Garlick will be criminal and entirely self serving.
Two years? It was two years since we published the prospectus but ALK and Burnley haven’t been talking for anything like that length of time.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:43 pm
If nobody knows anything about what's happening, how can anyone be sure that what scouseclaret said was wrong?
Actually, looking back at my earlier post I didn’t really say much at all - only that I’m wary of Americans who think they know how to run sports clubs but don’t really understand the market they’re in over here.

Tony seems to have got upset about the Hicks/Gillet reference- maybe Lerner was a better one. Either way, John Henry seems to be the exception rather than the rule - and we are a very different proposition to Liverpool.

But if CT is confident that these guys know what they’re doing then I very much hope he’s right.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:08 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:41 pm
I’ve never claimed to have any privileged knowledge of what’s going on, but I’ve as much right to speculate as anyone else, and God knows there’s been plenty of that on here.

I do have some knowledge of how private equity works though, and unless these guys are benevolent owners who just want to run a PL football club for their own amusement (which I doubt) I’d be surprised if their plan doesn’t involve loading some debt on the club somewhere down the line.
I don’t think any of us have a clue where the money is coming from as yet and that’s something we will really need to know. Alongside other things they will need to provide the club with proof of funding.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Let’s hope whoever gets in has a list of targets to improve the team as it looks like we’re a bit short in that area presently.

Hopefully before January !

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:13 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm
Actually, looking back at my earlier post I didn’t really say much at all - only that I’m wary of Americans who think they know how to run sports clubs but don’t really understand the market they’re in over here.

Tony seems to have got upset about the Hicks/Gillet reference- maybe Lerner was a better one. Either way, John Henry seems to be the exception rather than the rule - and we are a very different proposition to Liverpool.

But if CT is confident that these guys know what they’re doing then I very much hope he’s right.
What is so different about the English market? The majority of Premier League clubs are run by foreign people.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Have ALK walked away yet after today’s (entirely predictable) horror show?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Prob not, but they will be asking for a discount.... ;)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:20 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:16 pm
Have ALK walked away yet after today’s (entirely predictable) horror show?
I think anybody who is about to spend £200m to purchase a football club will be well aware that in a sport such as football, you win some games and lose others. I doubt they're as fickle as our fans.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm

John Henry & Fenway have done really well because they have learned from mistakes and realised that English clubs are not like American clubs in so many ways. I know they’ve learned very much how to engage & consult with their supporter organisations and that is very much something our club could learn from just now.

I’m not convinced they (ALK) know what they are doing because I don’t know them and I don’t know their plans. But I remain confident that they must have convinced our directors that they have a more than acceptable plan going forward.

I’m concerned at our current league position but I continue to pinch myself about us having a fifth consecutive season in the Premier League. It’s been a brilliant period that I really never thought I’d see. It shows that our club get a lot more right than they get wrong.

I’ve said countless times that I’m nervous about the takeover but relieved it’s not anything Farnell is involved in. I’m also excited about it and can’t wait to see how things go.

All I can add is that I’ve done a lot of research re potential owners and ALK have not brought any alarm bells ringing in my head although, Sheffield United apart, there hasn’t been as much to go on.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:13 pm
What is so different about the English market? The majority of Premier League clubs are run by foreign people.
Mainly that American sports live in a world of franchising and salary caps where there is much greater certainty over both income and expenditure than there is in European football, plus they tend to have a college draft system designed to ensure a greater degree of equality on the pitch.

If you look at the most successful owners in the PL, they tend to be in enormously rich benefactors who are much less concerned with turning a profit than beating the oligarch down the road.

claret3561
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:36 pm

If the Americans do take over lets hope the moneys coming from donald trump, if we do get relegated we can just refuse to leave the Premier league
These 3 users liked this post: jtv FactualFrank cricketfieldclarets

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 pm
John Henry & Fenway have done really well because they have learned from mistakes and realised that English clubs are not like American clubs in so many ways. I know they’ve learned very much how to engage & consult with their supporter organisations and that is very much something our club could learn from just now.

I’m not convinced they (ALK) know what they are doing because I don’t know them and I don’t know their plans. But I remain confident that they must have convinced our directors that they have a more than acceptable plan going forward.

I’m concerned at our current league position but I continue to pinch myself about us having a fifth consecutive season in the Premier League. It’s been a brilliant period that I really never thought I’d see. It shows that our club get a lot more right than they get wrong.

I’ve said countless times that I’m nervous about the takeover but relieved it’s not anything Farnell is involved in. I’m also excited about it and can’t wait to see how things go.

All I can add is that I’ve done a lot of research re potential owners and ALK have not brought any alarm bells ringing in my head although, Sheffield United apart, there hasn’t been as much to go on.
Overall I agree with you about our current owners and it has certainly been a wonderful period for the club. Clearly they now feel they’ve taken us as far as they can, and now have to choose whether to accept an inevitable slide back down into the Championship or sell it on to owners who might give us a chance of prolonging our current success.

On balance, I think I prefer the second option and share your excitement, but I’m under no illusions that this comes with the potentially existential threat that, for good reasons or bad, the new owners turn out not to be suitable or up to the job.

In that respect we have to trust Mike Garlick to do the right thing, but his judgement may be clouded by how desperate, or otherwise, he is to sell. The fact that he was even willing to engage with this Farnell fella surely rings some alarm bells.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 pm
The fact that he was even willing to engage with this Farnell fella surely rings some alarm bells.
Undoubtedly but learning more about Farnell and his self publicity I wonder how much engagement there actually was. I don’t know. Maybe they were close to clinching a deal, maybe they did get as far as the Premier League but one thing I have learned these past few weeks is not to believe a word he says.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:24 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Overall I agree with you about our current owners and it has certainly been a wonderful period for the club. Clearly they now feel they’ve taken us as far as they can, and now have to choose whether to accept an inevitable slide back down into the Championship or sell it on to owners who might give us a chance of prolonging our current success.

On balance, I think I prefer the second option and share your excitement, but I’m under no illusions that this comes with the potentially existential threat that, for good reasons or bad, the new owners turn out not to be suitable or up to the job.

In that respect we have to trust Mike Garlick to do the right thing, but his judgement may be clouded by how desperate, or otherwise, he is to sell. The fact that he was even willing to engage with this Farnell fella surely rings some alarm bells.
There’s also a later concern. If and when ALK sell up, what will their approach be - will it be in the best interests of the club and its future, or will it be to obtain the biggest return on investment?

I hope that our due diligence has looked past the short to medium term.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 pm
Undoubtedly but learning more about Farnell and his self publicity I wonder how much engagement there actually was. I don’t know. Maybe they were close to clinching a deal, maybe they did get as far as the Premier League but one thing I have learned these past few weeks is not to believe a word he says.
Could be that MG sussed Farnell out but decided to play along with him to have a stronger hand with ALK.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:54 pm

Fresh news tomorrow?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:54 pm
Fresh news tomorrow?
Another page, onto 86.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:11 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 am
Another page, onto 86.
Your post is still on page 85, FF. ;)

And, so it this one.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:11 am
Your post is still on page 85, FF. ;)

And, so it this one.
I know, I was replying regarding news, saying the news coming in at some point today will be that we're on page 86.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:10 am

(86 x 50)-10 now

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:26 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am
I know, I was replying regarding news, saying the news coming in at some point today will be that we're on page 86.
but, will it? doesn't seem like there much happening today... ;)

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Maybe last day of November will see the announcement! Pretty confident after just seeing Clive Holt outside the Turf main entrance wearing a cowboy hat, draped in the American flag and supping from a bottle of bud.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:26 pm
True

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 pm
Maybe last day of November will see the announcement! Pretty confident after just seeing Clive Holt outside the Turf main entrance wearing a cowboy hat, draped in the American flag and supping from a bottle of bud.
I'll go for the 25th December it being announced.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:26 pm
It's the Lords day. A day of rest for gods sake! :D
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Can't wait till we reach page 100, we might actually know something by then, or maybe not.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:33 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:21 pm
Can't wait till we reach page 100, we might actually know something by then, or maybe not.
With page 200 full of people complaining that we haven't bought a player yet.
This user liked this post: JarrowClaret

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:58 pm
Except that, just to confuse the issue, he was walking like an Egyptian. :o

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:34 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 am
Except that, just to confuse the issue, he was walking like an Egyptian. :o
That was because of the bangles he was wearing.
This user liked this post: dsr

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:06 am

We could do with an omnibus version of this thread, a weekly catch up on a Sunday or something.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony