ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:38 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:21 am
I might be wrong, but I thought it was Deepdale.
Just checked and Deepdale in 1878 was built before Oakwell in 1888 (discussed last night).

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:39 am

4FB9D265-E6DA-413C-BA43-0F67EE876400.jpeg
4FB9D265-E6DA-413C-BA43-0F67EE876400.jpeg (215.73 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
241A5002-10F3-4E5A-964C-88DDEE0A8829.jpeg
241A5002-10F3-4E5A-964C-88DDEE0A8829.jpeg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
40B2AAD3-4843-47DC-8E35-EE680FA11E4D.jpeg
40B2AAD3-4843-47DC-8E35-EE680FA11E4D.jpeg (212.96 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
Very impressive credentials!!

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:57 am

SonofPog wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:37 am
This for me... We were doing okay. Now we're just like the rest. Potentially saddled in debt, owned by America, used as a vehicle to prove that their scouting tools work.

We're never going to be top 6, is selling our soul worth it for a few more places higher up in the league?

You can repeat "exciting times" over and over again, until you convince yourself, for me, its a sad time... and another nail in the coffin of my interest of football.
How sad!

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:05 am

BenWickes wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:00 am
Finally done. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about this takeover.
I maintain that fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by the way we will be going as a club and their plans on and off the field.

UTC!
Lets hope that everything you predicted regarding fans being pleased "come mid January" comes to fruition.

Up The Clarets!

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:07 am

Love to know who funded this the investors?

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:09 am

I share a lot of that sadness, as I've really enjoyed being different from the rest and still being a proper football club and not just some business enterprise owned by people who have no real connection with Burnley.

Up till now, I've been dreading this happening and, honestly, I would have preferred relegation to being turned into a business investment. The one thing that now puts me slightly in favour is considering the impact that having a flourishing Premier League club has on the town. Burnley has been neglected by successive governments for decades now, and there's no doubt that the success of the football club brings wider benefits to the whole town. That's important, and to some extent mitigates the sense of loss I've been feeling.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:13 am

Sheedyclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:07 am
Love to know who funded this the investors?
From the FT: ALK Capital has agreed to buy an 84 per cent shareholding in Burnley, which was established as a football club in 1882. A person close to ALK said the deal values the club at more than £200m and that the takeover is being funded by a number of private individuals.

Of course, it will be interesting to know who they are - though it may not be quite as easy as looking up the current BFC shareholder list at Companies House.

Exciting times.

UTC

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3335 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am

SonofPog wrote:
This for me... We were doing okay. Now we're just like the rest. Potentially saddled in debt, owned by America, used as a vehicle to prove that their scouting tools work.

We're never going to be top 6, is selling our soul worth it for a few more places higher up in the league?

You can repeat "exciting times" over and over again, until you convince yourself, for me, its a sad time... and another nail in the coffin of my interest of football.
Unlike some others I won't have a go at you for taking that stance or feeling the way you do. I absolutely get it and a big part of me feels very much the same, BUT I just think that what's happened is probably inevitable IF we want to remain in the PL. It's not about being top 6 or owt daft like that, but it is about our medium term future and although some on here say they would be happy to return to the Championship or even below if it meant retaining our "soul" I honestly don't think they would when the realities of Wycombe at home on a freezing Tuesday night in front of 9,500 fans hit home and we were scratching round in the transfer market for "frees" because we haven't got the proverbial pot to urinate in. I know even now that could still possibly come to pass as there are no guarantees in football (except City always beat Burnley 5-0), but this gives us a fighting chance of staving it off I feel, so I reluctantly accept it.
These 3 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Jeffbfc elwaclaret

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 1659 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:32 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am
Unlike some others I won't have a go at you for taking that stance or feeling the way you do. I absolutely get it and a big part of me feels very much the same, BUT I just think that what's happened is probably inevitable IF we want to remain in the PL. It's not about being top 6 or owt daft like that, but it is about our medium term future and although some on here say they would be happy to return to the Championship or even below if it meant retaining our "soul" I honestly don't think they would when the realities of Wycombe at home on a freezing Tuesday night in front of 9,500 fans hit home and we were scratching round in the transfer market for "frees" because we haven't got the proverbial pot to urinate in. I know even now that could still possibly come to pass as there are no guarantees in football (except City always beat Burnley 5-0), but this gives us a fighting chance of staving it off I feel, so I reluctantly accept it.
Just about sums it up for most level headed fans I reckon
These 3 users liked this post: ralphc Jeffbfc Steddyman

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:39 am

BenWickes wrote:
I maintain that fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by the way we will be going as a club and their plans on and off the field.

UTC!
OK Ben - you reckon you know a bit about all this, so now it’s official, why not tell all and put our minds at rest?

I’m in the camp that thinks something had to be done, and this is certainly something, but until I know where the money is coming from, what their business plan is and, most importantly, what their motivations are, I will remain uneasy about it as well. Can’t say I was blown away by Alan Pace’s first interview.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:43 am

BenWickes wrote:

UTC!
Couldn't agree more
These 6 users liked this post: randomclaret2 NewClaret Jeffbfc bfcjg Paul Waine Steddyman

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:49 am

Never mind that this takeover had to happen if we want to remain in the Premier League, it simply had to happen if we wanted to retain the services of our manager and his back room staff.

I hope we can now tie Tarky down for another season at least.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am

Tony, will you be trying to find out what the loan was for and who the private investors are in the future? I’m intrigued and is it anything to worry about?

I’m delighted this has finally gone through and can’t wait to see Burnley take the next step

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 am

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:39 am
OK Ben - you reckon you know a bit about all this, so now it’s official, why not tell all and put our minds at rest?

I’m in the camp that thinks something had to be done, and this is certainly something, but until I know where the money is coming from, what their business plan is and, most importantly, what their motivations are, I will remain uneasy about it as well. Can’t say I was blown away by Alan Pace’s first interview.
Well. We'll all learn more in time. What we and I use a 'collective we' as there's a number on here who have snippets over the past months. CT is undoubtedly more in touch with sources close to Burnley than I.
What I do know is they have a long term plan for Barnfield and all that entails, better communication with fan groups, investment in the squad, improving commercial avenues and a long term plan to improve facilities at Turf Moor and the overall fan experience. He's basically touched on it all in his interview.
There is a collective of investors to my knowledge. I am not privy to who or their wealth as individuals or as a group but am aware it is enough to allow us to be more competitive.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:05 am

BenWickes wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 am
Well. We'll all learn more in time. What we and I use a 'collective we' as there's a number on here who have snippets over the past months. CT is undoubtedly more in touch with sources close to Burnley than I.
What I do know is they have a long term plan for Barnfield and all that entails, better communication with fan groups, investment in the squad, improving commercial avenues and a long term plan to improve facilities at Turf Moor and the overall fan experience. He's basically touched on it all in his interview.
There is a collective of investors to my knowledge. I am not privy to who or their wealth as individuals or as a group but am aware it is enough to allow us to be more competitive.
If each of those areas are the focus and achieved, I’m in.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:12 am

BenWickes wrote:
This is the area I’m most intrigued about and had hoped to learn more from the interview.

Michael Dell is clearly involved in some capacity, but more so who are the others and what can they offer? Jerry Jones was mentioned further up the thread, along with Dave Checketts. I know nothing about American sport but these guys clearly have huge experience and contacts that could benefit us.

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:13 am

BenWickes wrote:

UTC!
All said and done as supporters of the club regardless who owns or runs it what can you do other than, go on to watch which means buying a ticket or season ticket.
Don't go on, so don't give the club any money, or finally go on but don't buy a twix!!!
Something had to change and unfortunately not many Burnley born billionaires have come forward.
Time will tell then what ever your opinion is the "I told you so " line can be dusted off.
UTC

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 am

Thanks Mike G for your excellent stewardship.
Without you we would not be in the position we are now a PL team that is attractive to investors.
Again thanks for your hard work.
Last edited by brexit on Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 5 users liked this post: NewClaret Steddyman Paul Waine KateR Juan Tanamera

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 am

SonofPog wrote:

I understand this view point and have some similar feelings. For me Football in the main is a busted flush, where multi billionaires fund bad decision making and a lack of focus, until they get bored, walk away, and leave the clubs in turmoil. People will respond and say stuff like "Glad you've thrown Sheffield Wednesday in, because the list needed a refresh" or "They wouldn't buy a club like Burnley to run it into the ground".... but when the American fella bought Villa, he didn't buy it to run it into the ground, nor did the bloke at Sunderland. And that list that gets referred to - the one with Villa, Sunderland, Derby, Hull, Forest, Sheff Weds, Bolton, Wigan and many others on, is the reality of the way football is a busted flush. I'm encouraged that Pace has said they're not here to flip it in a couple of years, that said, I@m not naive enough to think that if it was their intention they'd have been stating it publically in an opening press conference.

I hope that they will be good for the club, and these are exciting times, as if they continue to build on the club values, of making right decisions, strong financial management, focusing on improving a couple of key things per season and doing that well, and stretching the commercials allowing for further investment within the framework, than that will be fantastic for the club, and help to keep them punching well above their weight. I'm just nervous, because, there's many who have tried that in football, and relatively, very few have succeeded. And if they don't succeed on this, we will be left with a club that needs to service it's debts and overspending, with a limited pool of resources to do that. And that's where the problems start. That's where the club will really be left without a pot to **** in. Not now. Now we're one of the richest clubs in the country - it's just that the vast majority we have to compete with are significantly richer.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:42 am

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:12 am
This is the area I’m most intrigued about and had hoped to learn more from the interview.

Michael Dell is clearly involved in some capacity, but more so who are the others and what can they offer? Jerry Jones was mentioned further up the thread, along with Dave Checketts. I know nothing about American sport but these guys clearly have huge experience and contacts that could benefit us.
For me, I'll leave the details of how they get investment and from whom to the professional money managers who now own our club. That is entirely what has been missing from MG, any experience with corporate finance, hence the complete lack of any risk taking. Risk Management is an art that require years of exprience to do it properly. It isn't about putting everything on the line and hoping it doesn't fail. It's about balancing multiple risks against each other and having appropriate mitigations and plans in place for each of those risks.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:46 am

Jesus reading through the comments on here this morning I've come to the conclusion that if some posters had 6 nostrils they'd still want 7
These 3 users liked this post: mill hill claret Boss Hogg elwaclaret

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:39 pm
Hi dp, neat example. A little correction: if you are owed money by someone they are your debtor - and if you owe someone money then they are your creditor. It can be confusing, because we are all used to being "in credit" or having a "debit against us." It's all because the language has developed from the banker's or lender's point of view. Your bank statement shows you being "in credit" when the bank is holding your money - and owes your money to you.

In simple balance sheet terms, both cash and debtors are assets, and are on the same side of the balance sheet: whether the club holds £500k cash and a debtor of £1.5m, total = £2m or no cash and £2m debtor the club has the same total assets... etc etc.

EDIT: There's me posting about debtors and creditors - while missing that ALK have posted that they've acquired Burnley.

And, I deliberately left off - Exciting times - UTC - because balance sheets and accounting just isn't that interesting. :( ;)

Well here goes....

EXCITING TIMES

UTC
Apologies typo my end

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5072 times
Has Liked: 6844 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:06 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:46 am
Jesus reading through the comments on here this morning I've come to the conclusion that if some posters had 6 nostrils they'd still want 7
If they're that ugly they should go support Blackburn, they wouldn't look out of place.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:11 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:46 am
If I had six nostrils I’d want two.

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:51 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 am
I understand this view point and have some similar feelings....
What people have to remember is that these people aren't investing in Burnley FC because of a love of the club, the surrounding area, football, the Northern Powerhouse, sports-washing their reputation, etc. They're in it to make a profit, preferably one large enough to make all the effort worthwhile.

Now at the moment that mainly aligns with the fan's hopes. We've seen in the past few years how good things can be whilst increasing shareholder value. In the bad times though that alignment is far less certain.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 pm

Anyone thinking that they will find the names of the actual investors in the shareholders lists for the club is likely to be disappointed - they will be hidden in the records held in Delaware - the club shares will be listed as belonging to ALK vehicles.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 pm
Anyone thinking that they will find the names of the actual investors in the shareholders lists for the club is likely to be disappointed - they will be hidden in the records held in Delaware - the club shares will be listed as belonging to ALK vehicles.
And Delaware is famously opaque for this kind of thing. It's likely we'll never know who is behind ALK in terms of financing.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm
And Delaware is famously opaque for this kind of thing. It's likely we'll never know who is behind ALK in terms of financing.
Even if it's dodgy money, as they say in America, the buck stops with A Pace, that's how he passed the PL owners and directors test, he has 75% control over VSP and the holding company ALK.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm
Even if it's dodgy money, as they say in America, the buck stops with A Pace, that's how he passed the PL owners and directors test, he has 75% control over VSP and the holding company ALK.
The Premier League will know - it is one of the things they insist on - so it will not be "dodgy money" and they will have had specific undertakings agreed by the major investor(s) before signing off on the takeover - it is one of the reasons the League is so highly regarded around the world and why the Saudi's backed out of buying Newcastle
This user liked this post: Nonayforever

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pm
The Premier League will know - it is one of the things they insist on - so it will not be "dodgy money" and they will have had specific undertakings agreed by the major investor(s) before signing off on the takeover - it is one of the reasons the League is so highly regarded around the world and why the Saudi's backed out of buying Newcastle
Whilst i agree with this, how can the PL trust any undertaking by Fosun at Wolves ?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 pm
Whilst i agree with this, how can the PL trust any undertaking by Fosun at Wolves ?
Were Wolves not a Championship side when they got taken over? It’s an entirely different and easier test they have to pass and I’m pretty sure the PL have to accept them upon promotion.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:30 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 pm
Fosun operate legitimately in many countries - yes they may subject to the whims of Chinese officialdom - but they have a track record of sound business performance. If you are referring to Gestifute, FIFA and UEFA have cleared that relationship (that is confusing and difficult to understand/accept I know) but the Premier League work to their Football Laws and regulations

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:51 pm
What people have to remember is that these people aren't investing in Burnley FC because of a love of the club, the surrounding area, football, the Northern Powerhouse, sports-washing their reputation, etc. They're in it to make a profit, preferably one large enough to make all the effort worthwhile.
Don't forget that ego and interest comes into play once you start talking about owning a football club - hence why so many hard nosed, successful businessmen shell out so many additional money on a regular basis to cover losses - say what you will but the Venkys have gone way beyond making a profit with our unloved brethren down the M65 and then you have £1m per month Gibson at Boro or Davis at Brighton too.
BenWickes wrote:
Collective ownership with a front person is a very common strategy in US Sports Franchise ownership. But whether ours will operate in a similar manner is one of the great unknowns at this point of time.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:42 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm
Don't forget that ego and interest comes into play once you start talking about owning a football club - hence why so many hard nosed, successful businessmen shell out so many additional money on a regular basis to cover losses - say what you will but the Venkys have gone way beyond making a profit with our unloved brethren down the M65 and then you have £1m per month Gibson at Boro or Davis at Brighton too.Collective ownership with a front person is a very common strategy in US Sports Franchise ownership. But whether ours will operate in a similar manner is one of the great unknowns at this point of time.
The directors box will be an interesting place to watch when fans return

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:59 pm

bfcmik wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:40 pm
Don't forget that ego and interest comes into play once you start talking about owning a football club - hence why so many hard nosed, successful businessmen shell out so many additional money on a regular basis to cover losses - say what you will but the Venkys have gone way beyond making a profit with our unloved brethren down the M65 and then you have £1m per month Gibson at Boro or Davis at Brighton too.Collective ownership with a front person is a very common strategy in US Sports Franchise ownership. But whether ours will operate in a similar manner is one of the great unknowns at this point of time.
Gibson and Bloom are the antithesis of what we have though. They're fans as well as businessmen.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:24 pm

BenWickes wrote:
And do we know the extent to which these investors are putting their own capital at risk and how much is debt finance?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:13 pm

BenWickes wrote:
They certainly have plans for the academy which has already taken great strides forward. Communication with fans is at its lowest for years, supporter engagement with supporter groups very poor.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:15 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 am
Tony, will you be trying to find out what the loan was for and who the private investors are in the future? I’m intrigued and is it anything to worry about?

I’m delighted this has finally gone through and can’t wait to see Burnley take the next step
I've asked those questions and not got answers as yet. Whether I ever do I don't know but I'll keep asking. I know there are several investors with this bid and I also am pleased with the comments I've received from people who know a lot more than I do.
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:43 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:24 pm
And do we know the extent to which these investors are putting their own capital at risk and how much is debt finance?
CT has kind of answered this above. Will we ever know who or how much or who is involved? Some of it may come out in time. Some or all may wish to remain anonymous. We'll have some gauge of how much they're prepared to invest over time I guess.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:45 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:24 pm
Hi scouse, you don't get a return on your money if it isn't "your money." You can borrow the money that you personally invest so that you get the quity return on your investment finance it by paying debt interest to whoever lends you the money. Alternatively, you can leverage your investment in the entity you invest in by providing some of the finance to that entity as debt.

But, there's a big balance to these things. No one will lend you money if they aren't very confident of getting repaid. Yes, the lender(s) might consider that they can get some security from the assets of the entity, but they will also know that the assets of a failed entity are never worth as much as they might have been if the entity had been successful.

Maybe in time we will see the balance sheet of Velocity Sports Partners Ltd. Maybe that will tell us something about the financial structure. There is also the Premier League's financial fair play rules and the disclosure of financial results. Maybe we will see BFC's financial accounts for the year to 31st July 2020 in a few months time - and then a year later, somewhere in 2022, we will see the financials for period to 31st July 2021 (unless the year end is changed again as a result of the takeover).

Exciting times.

UTC

BenWickes

Post by BenWickes » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:13 pm
They certainly have plans for the academy which has already taken great strides forward. Communication with fans is at its lowest for years, supporter engagement with supporter groups very poor.
Indeed. Communication in general and with supporters and the groups seem to have been in decline for some time. You'll know that better than most. He intimated in his interview there'd be a lot more interaction with fans. Having worked in the States in various roles over the years, including a football club there. They are big on customer satisfaction and interaction. So is not a surprise they're willing to build those bridges.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:15 pm
I've asked those questions and not got answers as yet. Whether I ever do I don't know but I'll keep asking. I know there are several investors with this bid and I also am pleased with the comments I've received from people who know a lot more than I do.
Pleased in what sense, CT? That those that know more are happy with the investors/way the takeover is funded?

I’m intrigued on that point and also the academy plans? I thought that was doing pretty well as it was.

I read earlier that AP was following UTC on Twitter? Hasn’t reached out yet has he?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:09 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:53 pm
Pleased in what sense, CT? That those that know more are happy with the investors/way the takeover is funded?

I’m intrigued on that point and also the academy plans? I thought that was doing pretty well as it was.

I read earlier that AP was following UTC on Twitter? Hasn’t reached out yet has he?
We put the follow in a few weeks ago but he had the account locked then. Hopefully will speak to him in the next week or so.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:11 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:53 pm

First sentence which is why I’ve been very relaxed on it for a while.

I don’t know anything specific about academy plans but they like up with the club with their desire for us to develop footballers.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:19 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm
I doubt it's dodgy money, I'm sure they checks have been done on the source of funds.

More that the source of funds will likely influence the strategy at some point.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:45 pm
Hi scouse, you don't get a return on your money if it isn't "your money." You can borrow the money that you personally invest so that you get the quity return on your investment finance it by paying debt interest to whoever lends you the money. Alternatively, you can leverage your investment in the entity you invest in by providing some of the finance to that entity as debt.

But, there's a big balance to these things. No one will lend you money if they aren't very confident of getting repaid. Yes, the lender(s) might consider that they can get some security from the assets of the entity, but they will also know that the assets of a failed entity are never worth as much as they might have been if the entity had been successful.

Maybe in time we will see the balance sheet of Velocity Sports Partners Ltd. Maybe that will tell us something about the financial structure. There is also the Premier League's financial fair play rules and the disclosure of financial results. Maybe we will see BFC's financial accounts for the year to 31st July 2020 in a few months time - and then a year later, somewhere in 2022, we will see the financials for period to 31st July 2021 (unless the year end is changed again as a result of the takeover).

Exciting times.

UTC
Thanks for the finance lesson, but it doesn’t really answer the question.

As I’m sure you know, PE generally works on leverage. So, if a deal is financed 80/20 debt/equity, and the value of the entity doubles over your ownership tenure, you make 5x return on your equity. Equally, it only takes a relatively modest 20% decline in the value of the entity to wipe out the equity entirely and leave you at the mercy of the creditors.

That’s why I would like to know how the deal is structured. I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely and it may just be a group for of wealthy enthusiasts clubbing together to buy the club outright, but I doubt it.

Exciting, but concerning, times.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:59 am

scouseclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm
Thanks for the finance lesson, but it doesn’t really answer the question.

As I’m sure you know, PE generally works on leverage. So, if a deal is financed 80/20 debt/equity, and the value of the entity doubles over your ownership tenure, you make 5x return on your equity. Equally, it only takes a relatively modest 20% decline in the value of the entity to wipe out the equity entirely and leave you at the mercy of the creditors.

That’s why I would like to know how the deal is structured. I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely and it may just be a group for of wealthy enthusiasts clubbing together to buy the club outright, but I doubt it.

Exciting, but concerning, times.
Happy New Year, scouse.

Not the time for a disagreement. Yes, PE likes leverage and high leverage relies on reliable, predictable and stable (minimum) earnings. So, leverage works great for utilities and similar. How many football clubs have got the type of financial profile to be leveraged? ManU are one, with the global scale of ManU "supporters" (and I don't mean those who - in normal times - attend OT every game) which reinforces their sponsorship income. How many more are there? I can't see BFC supporting significant, medium/long term debt funding - there would need to be a lot greater depth in commercial earnings coupled with many seasons of high probability of "top 10" finishes, maybe a trophy or two, also, in the trophy cabinet before BFC could get anywhere near 50:50 debt:equity funding. It would be great if that level of footballing performance is part of ALK's aims.

Exciting times.

UTC

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:59 am
Happy New Year, scouse.

Not the time for a disagreement. Yes, PE likes leverage and high leverage relies on reliable, predictable and stable (minimum) earnings. So, leverage works great for utilities and similar. How many football clubs have got the type of financial profile to be leveraged? ManU are one, with the global scale of ManU "supporters" (and I don't mean those who - in normal times - attend OT every game) which reinforces their sponsorship income. How many more are there? I can't see BFC supporting significant, medium/long term debt funding - there would need to be a lot greater depth in commercial earnings coupled with many seasons of high probability of "top 10" finishes, maybe a trophy or two, also, in the trophy cabinet before BFC could get anywhere near 50:50 debt:equity funding. It would be great if that level of footballing performance is part of ALK's aims.

Exciting times.

UTC
Now we are in complete agreement - that’s why I need to be reassured that it isn’t geared up to the hilt!

Happy New Year - and let’s hope your unerring optimism proves justified!
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Paul Waine

aggi

Post by aggi » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am

As most suspected would happen, the MSD Holdings loan is now secured over the fixed assets of the club (not the players).

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:12 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am
As most suspected would happen, the MSD Holdings loan is now secured over the fixed assets of the club (not the players).
:cry: how thoroughly depressing

Aggi I am not seeing the detail of named assets in question at companies house, do you have any understanding as to just what the loan has been secured against - it may give an indication of the loan size
Last edited by Chester Perry on Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.