ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by Firthy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Bearing in mind the January transfer window, it's nice to see the new board are spending money in the right places. :roll:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... urnley-fc/

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 pm

Firthy wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm
Bearing in mind the January transfer window, it's nice to see the new board are spending money in the right places. :roll:

I’d have thought that was a very important area to improve. I couldn’t tell you when the last time it was done up was and it’s a revenue stream that we can definitely improve upon.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR GodIsADeeJay81

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:43 pm

This will have been in process long before the new ownership came in
This user liked this post: Leisure

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Covid won't be here for ever, thing long term.
Stuff can be actioned whilst this is still going on.
No you are right it won’t be, not in it’s present guise anyhow, the effects won’t be disappearing anytime soon though & we haven’t yet properly seen the finishing line yet before even talking about moving on to a clearer pathway.
This user liked this post: Les Lawrence

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 pm
No you are right it won’t be, not in it’s present guise anyhow, the effects won’t be disappearing anytime soon though & we haven’t yet properly seen the finishing line yet before even talking about moving on to a clearer pathway.
The club can still action things though, there isn't any need to sit and wait, then they'll be behind even further.
Now they can catch up

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:24 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 pm
I will add to that and say every club in the league generates more matchday income than us, and consequently has less reliance on tv income - full house will see all teams above us recover their financial revenues more quickly. We will lag behind because the impact of TV rebates are likely to linger for another 2 - 4 seasons as the cost is spread in the central distribution. what is a current strength will once again be a weakness very quickly

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:21 pm

Firthy wrote:

I find this attitude really odd.

Because we’ve found it difficult to sign players, for a multitude of reasons, we therefore shouldn’t spend a fraction of that on maintenance of the ground.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Firthy wrote:

Was planned for last summer so but for circumstances would have been done and dusted long before any takover.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 pm

It just says the application has been improved. It doesn’t say new owners are going ahead with it. There isn’t a pot to p*ss in so could be propped up with plywood yet.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 pm

Approved

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:28 pm
Was planned for last summer so but for circumstances would have been done and dusted long before any takover.
And maybe the work will be complete before fans are able to return to t'Turf.

It's good news that work is getting done in a "quiet period." Plus it means wages for the people doing the work.

UTC

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:56 pm

On the proviso that there are no plans afoot for developing the Bob Lord, I’d also be doing a lot more work on the frontage of that stand.

It’s the main stand that is seen and the one that is predominantly shown on TV during any outside the ground coverage.

The main stand and entrance should be far more appealing than it currently is, despite the improvements made.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:02 pm

MSD UK Holdings Ltd GBP 65,000,000 8% unsecured, due 2031, admitted to the official list The International Stock Exchange (TISE), Guernsey at 18:00 on 4th February 2021.

https://tisegroup.com/market/securities/12598

We've previously seen MSD UK Holdings list 3 other unsecured loan notes on TISE.

Is the latest loan note linked to the loan to ALK Capital?

Is anyone able to get documentation for these TISE securities? Similarly, is anyone able to obtain credit rating reports (S&P, Fitch, Moodys)? I'm making the assumption that any unsecured loan notes will require an independent credit rating to support listing on a stock exchange.

Exciting times.

UTC

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 pm

I really don’t understand why you write exciting times on every post. I just imagine you sitting there shaking with glee for some reason

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:02 pm
MSD UK Holdings Ltd GBP 65,000,000 8% unsecured, due 2031, admitted to the official list The International Stock Exchange (TISE), Guernsey at 18:00 on 4th February 2021.

https://tisegroup.com/market/securities/12598

We've previously seen MSD UK Holdings list 3 other unsecured loan notes on TISE.

Is the latest loan note linked to the loan to ALK Capital?

Is anyone able to get documentation for these TISE securities? Similarly, is anyone able to obtain credit rating reports (S&P, Fitch, Moodys)? I'm making the assumption that any unsecured loan notes will require an independent credit rating to support listing on a stock exchange.

Exciting times.

UTC
there are an awful lot of clubs in Europe looking for finance right now (e.g. Inter Milan are looking for around 200m Euros), Derby were reported to have gone back to MSD as well, though Mel would have to use Pride Park as Collateral as the club has nothing else left, and there are even reports that it is Dell not ALK who is interested in the acquisition of Spezia

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:37 pm

FAO Bodge.

Thanks for the question on the other thread. It's only fair to answer it here as this is what it pointed to,

I've read the thread with interest but since the takeover there wasn't anything to add on my part. I understand people's concerns with regards to how the takeover was funded although I am none the wiser than anyone else how it has been structured. I guess time may tell.
From what I am told. Nothing has changed regards their plans,
Has it panned out as I thought? Well he's been a little too communicative for me. Sometimes less is more. I think communication has been good but within reason. Overall it has panned out but I, as Pace himself intimated; expected signings.
However. As was proven on deadline day. What was it? Nine incomings across the entire PL and six of those were loans. It seems it was a far more difficult window than usual due to the current circumstances we all face. It's only been just over a month though. Time will tell on how much comes to fruition.
This user liked this post: bodge

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:47 pm

Thanks Ben for taking the time to post, appreciate your thoughts.

The old maxim of actions speak louder than words applies with this whole shooting match, let's give them chance to put their plans in place and see if they come to fruition.

turbo5
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by turbo5 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:09 pm

I just hope we maintain our fanbase when Covid is over and the 2021/2022 season tickets are announced. From speaking to numerous friends and work colleagues etc quite a few have fallen out of love with football. its been nearly a year since attending a live game and quite a few are unsure about renewing their ST for various reasons.I Personally think it wouldn't be wise to increase ST prices for those that took their money out or remove the option of monthly payments.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky ClaretTony

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:27 pm
there are an awful lot of clubs in Europe looking for finance right now (e.g. Inter Milan are looking for around 200m Euros), Derby were reported to have gone back to MSD as well, though Mel would have to use Pride Park as Collateral as the club has nothing else left, and there are even reports that it is Dell not ALK who is interested in the acquisition of Spezia
Hi CP, do any of your contacts in the "football finance" world have access to the MSD loan notes listed in TISE? Or, for that matter, credit ratings issued on the same?

If we can get access to this info we might get some better insights into how MSD is operating - and if any of the listed securities relate to ALK/BFC borrowing.

Exciting times.

UTC

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:56 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Didn't Mel already do something with Pride Park recently, "sold it" to himself in some way?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:51 pm
Hi CP, do any of your contacts in the "football finance" world have access to the MSD loan notes listed in TISE? Or, for that matter, credit ratings issued on the same?

If we can get access to this info we might get some better insights into how MSD is operating - and if any of the listed securities relate to ALK/BFC borrowing.

Exciting times.

UTC
I don't have any contacts in the football finance world (thanks for assuming I am connected though - i think) and I do not know anyone who has the access you are looking for as I would have pursued it myself

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:00 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:56 pm
Didn't Mel already do something with Pride Park recently, "sold it" to himself in some way?
sold it to himself 3 seasons back for about £81m, the book profit which was substantial saved Derby from FFP fines, of course Mel is trying to sell the club without putting anymore money in, though that is not going to well
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:22 pm
I really don’t understand why you write exciting times on every post. I just imagine you sitting there shaking with glee for some reason
Hi Newcastle, I think I've made an attempt to explain "exciting times" once or twice already on here - and I once "slipped up" and mis-typed as "exiting times."

To recap:

1) Being a Burnley fan is exciting. It was exciting at Stamford Bridge when we beat Chelsea, on penalties, in the "Capital Punishment" Cup. Similarly, it was exciting to play Spurs in the semis, especially that wonderful night when, but for away goals rule, we were through to Wembley. It was exciting at Charlton after "23, 23 undefeated" and returning to the Premier League as champions. (It was also exciting that day to watch Nick Pope for the first time). It was exciting, again, at Stamford Bridge, 3-0 up at half-time and more than a little "nail biting" through to the final whistle. It was exciting that we finally and deservedly got the win at Old Trafford last season. Ditto Anfield 2 weeks ago. Of course, there numerous other occasions I could add to my list of excitement at Burnley games. Alongside, there have been some "downs" but that's what makes the excitement so much greater.

2) I was fortunate in my career to enjoy a lot of what I did - I retired last March. I experienced, in a little way, some of the innovative and smart ideas that led to businesses moving forward and growing, in some cases breaking through into areas that most would have thought were outside their reach. Innovation is exciting when you see it being attempted and more so when you see it executed well and the goals are achieved. If you try and don't succeed, well that is the opportunity to "try and try again."

3) Most of us want Burnley to remain in the Premier League, most of us want "2 top 10 finishes" to be repeated and to have another crack at Europe (especially, when we can travel again). My sense of the last few years is that the financial slope in the Premier League has got steeper and steeper. Whereas, when we won at Charlton and returned for our 3rd season in the Premier League there was a sense that we could now build the platform "to compete" the costs of running a Premier League team have grown and grown again. They'd certainly grown to the extent that BFC found it difficult to compete in the transfer windows. Mike Garlick and John B were aware of this and had decide it was time for them to pass on ownership to someone who could take the club forward. I can imagine that the search for the right new owner was challenging. I found the last few weeks of 2020 exciting as we learnt at little of possible new owners and then, at the end of the year, the deal was done.

4) Alan Pace has expressed his strategy for BFC very well. I've enjoyed his videos. I get the idea of growing Burnley's revenue by growing Burnley's "brand," whether it is everyone's favourite "underdog" or it is in some other guise (I don't think there's much mileage in "plucky loser, btw). If ALK are using some innovative financing techniques, things that haven't been done before by football clubs, then that is exciting for me. "Looking and learning" how the financial strategy is being put together is also exciting for me. Yes, I may be a little "weird" like that. Grant me that we can all be a little "weird" or different in our ways.

I guess it all comes down to where we all are in terms of staying in the Premier League. Do any of us think we could be there for 5 more seasons if the ownership didn't change? I see our new owners giving the club a chance to have long term ambitions. I think it will be an exciting ride. There may be "bumps in the road" and those "bumps" may be there whoever our owners are. One group of owners may be tripped up by the bumps, another may take them in their stride and continue to progress. I'm looking forward to the excitement.

"Glee?" At the moment it's more "quiet excitement" and not the "scream out loud" that we will enjoy whenever the team scores. But, hey, we are in lockdown, so there's time for "quiet excitement." ;)

I remain :)

Exciting times.

UTC
Last edited by Paul Waine on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:00 pm
sold it to himself 3 seasons back for about £81m, the book profit which was substantial saved Derby from FFP fines, of course Mel is trying to sell the club without putting anymore money in, though that is not going to well
So if he was to borrow or "sell" it again £81 million would be his starting point I'd guess.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:58 pm
I don't have any contacts in the football finance world (thanks for assuming I am connected though - i think) and I do not know anyone who has the access you are looking for as I would have pursued it myself
Hi CP, I was think about the guys who do the various "football finance research" articles. Isn't there a guy who posts on here occasionally, is it "The Esk" or something? I believe you call him "Paul" when he posts?

I'll put my thinking cap on and see if there's another way of accessing further insights.

Exciting times.

UTC

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:20 pm
Hi CP, I was think about the guys who do the various "football finance research" articles. Isn't there a guy who posts on here occasionally, is it "The Esk" or something? I believe you call him "Paul" when he posts?

I'll put my thinking cap on and see if there's another way of accessing further insights.

Exciting times.

UTC
no he doesn't have the access either - tried that route several weeks back

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 pm
So if he was to borrow or "sell" it again £81 million would be his starting point I'd guess.
I thought he had raised money against it before from the guy he though was going to buy the club last summer, that fell by the wayside and the current deal seems to be going the same way

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:05 pm

BenWickes wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:37 pm
FAO Bodge.

Thanks for the question on the other thread. It's only fair to answer it here as this is what it pointed to,

I've read the thread with interest but since the takeover there wasn't anything to add on my part. I understand people's concerns with regards to how the takeover was funded although I am none the wiser than anyone else how it has been structured. I guess time may tell.
From what I am told. Nothing has changed regards their plans,
Has it panned out as I thought? Well he's been a little too communicative for me. Sometimes less is more. I think communication has been good but within reason. Overall it has panned out but I, as Pace himself intimated; expected signings.
However. As was proven on deadline day. What was it? Nine incomings across the entire PL and six of those were loans. It seems it was a far more difficult window than usual due to the current circumstances we all face. It's only been just over a month though. Time will tell on how much comes to fruition.
There are lots of things that concern me about this takeover, but the lack of signings isn’t really one of them. I seems to me that the players we were linked with - Nathan Collins, Jonjo Kenny - were unlikely to go straight into the team anyway. Given that signing players in January seems to get ever more difficult, I can understand why they may have decided to hang fire until the summer. Dyche certainly seems pretty relaxed about it.

Doesn’t allay my concerns as to how the deal appears to have been structured, how much will be available and where it's coming from tough...
This user liked this post: KateR

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 pm
Hi Newcastle, I think I've made an attempt to explain "exciting times" once or twice already on here - and I once "slipped up" and mis-typed as "exiting times."

To recap:

1) Being a Burnley fan is exciting. It was exciting at Stamford Bridge when we beat Chelsea, on penalties, in the "Capital Punishment" Cup. Similarly, it was exciting to play Spurs in the semis, especially that wonderful night when, but for away goals rule, we were through to Wembley. It was exciting at Charlton after "23, 23 undefeated" and returning to the Premier League as champions. (It was also exciting that day to watch Nick Pope for the first time). It was exciting, again, at Stamford Bridge, 3-0 up at half-time and more than a little "nail biting" through to the final whistle. It was exciting that we finally and deservedly got the win at Old Trafford last season. Ditto Anfield 2 weeks ago. Of course, there numerous other occasions I could add to my list of excitement at Burnley games. Alongside, there have been some "downs" but that's what makes the excitement so much greater.

2) I was fortunate in my career to enjoy a lot of what I did - I retired last March. I experienced, in a little way, some of the innovative and smart ideas that led to businesses moving forward and growing, in some cases breaking through into areas that most would have thought were outside their reach. Innovation is exciting when you see it being attempted and more so when you see it executed well and the goals are achieved. If you try and don't succeed, well that is the opportunity to "try and try again."

3) Most of us want Burnley to remain in the Premier League, most of us want "2 top 10 finishes" to be repeated and to have another crack at Europe (especially, when we can travel again). My sense of the last few years is that the financial slope in the Premier League has got steeper and steeper. Whereas, when we won at Charlton and returned for our 3rd season in the Premier League there was a sense that we could now build the platform "to compete" the costs of running a Premier League team have grown and grown again. They'd certainly grown to the extent that BFC found it difficult to compete in the transfer windows. Mike Garlick and John B were aware of this and had decide it was time for them to pass on ownership to someone who could take the club forward. I can imagine that the search for the right new owner was challenging. I found the last few weeks of 2020 exciting as we learnt at little of possible new owners and then, at the end of the year, the deal was done.

4) Alan Pace has expressed his strategy for BFC very well. I've enjoyed his videos. I get the idea of growing Burnley's revenue by growing Burnley's "brand," whether it is everyone's favourite "underdog" or it is in some other guise (I don't think there's much mileage in "plucky loser, btw). If ALK are using some innovative financing techniques, things that haven't been done before by football clubs, then that is exciting for me. "Looking and learning" how the financial strategy is being put together is also exciting for me. Yes, I may be a little "weird" like that. Grant me that we can all be a little "weird" or different in our ways.

I guess it all comes down to where we all are in terms of staying in the Premier League. Do any of us think we could be there for 5 more seasons if the ownership didn't change? I see our new owners giving the club a chance to have long term ambitions. I think it will be an exciting ride. There may be "bumps in the road" and those "bumps" may be there whoever our owners are. One group of owners may be tripped up by the bumps, another may take them in their stride and continue to progress. I'm looking forward to the excitement.

"Glee?" At the moment it's more "quiet excitement" and not the "scream out loud" that we will enjoy whenever the team scores. But, hey, we are in lockdown, so there's time for "quiet excitement." ;)

I remain :)

Exciting times.

UTC
Fair enough, if you are genuinely excited. I honestly thought you were just taking the mick out of people that were genuinely concerned.

I get your point I honestly think we are worst of than under Garlick. At least there was money in the bank to keep the club afloat. With everything that has gone on due to Covid I am very concerned that the PL money follows the French league and decreases massively.

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:01 am

bodge wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:47 pm
Thanks Ben for taking the time to post, appreciate your thoughts.

The old maxim of actions speak louder than words applies with this whole shooting match, let's give them chance to put their plans in place and see if they come to fruition.
That's pretty much all we can do but I'm not overly worried. Certainly none more so than under the previous incumbents.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:12 am

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:41 pm
And maybe the work will be complete before fans are able to return to t'Turf.

It's good news that work is getting done in a "quiet period." Plus it means wages for the people doing the work.

UTC
Unfortunately Ash is injured at the minute so work is suspended until he is fit enough to carry on with it

Apparently Defour used to labour for him but even Ash gave up on him ever being fit enough to carry a screwdriver again ;)

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 pm
Fair enough, if you are genuinely excited. I honestly thought you were just taking the mick out of people that were genuinely concerned.

I get your point I honestly think we are worst of than under Garlick. At least there was money in the bank to keep the club afloat. With everything that has gone on due to Covid I am very concerned that the PL money follows the French league and decreases massively.
I don’t think the French league has the same appeal worldwide as the Premier League so can’t see much concern over future tv money especially when fans return hopefully for the start of next season.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:00 pm

A very lengthy commentary from the Athletic today on the Burnley takeover - a lot of what is said is already on this thread, much of it feels like I wrote it myself, particularly those sections on leveraged debt to buy not develop the club and the somewhat poignant reminder of Barry Kilby telling the press and the DCMS committee (in a special hearing at Turf Moor no less) that owners should not put debt onto a football club to enhance their own interests.

https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/13 ... 0438088719

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:27 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am
I don’t think the French league has the same appeal worldwide as the Premier League so can’t see much concern over future tv money especially when fans return hopefully for the start of next season./

posted this Thursday on the MMT thread - note last para
Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 pm
Le Figaro are reporting that Canal+ have taken all the rights for Ligue 1 and 2 through to the end of the season at half the price that the previous deal was done for

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... e-20210204

With Italy's Serie A still not concluding it's rights tender, fresh negotiations begin tomorrow, the Bundesliga seeing it's rights drop around 20%, La Liga and UEFA also experiencing difficulties is there anyone left who thinks the Premier Leagues rights are going to show strong or any growth?
The best the the French Ligue could get was a deal offering half of what was initially contracted for the season, with Canal+ reportedly paying an additional 35m Euros for the 80% of games it originally didn't have - in essence that means Canal + agreed to retain it's current deal and not hand back it's rights as first requested and more importantly that all other bidders including Amazon bid substantially less.

The Premier League paid it's central distribution, in full last season, the total £330m rebate 2019/20 season rebate was to be deducted from this and next seasons central distribution, the total amount from each club was to be calculated over last season and this (based on final league position and tV appearances) our season 1 share was £13.4m. None of this incorporates the £160m shortfall from China last season or the similar amount for this season for the same reason, there is no deal in place for next season either as things stand. Then there is the issue of rebates generated in the current season, which as yet unknown.

Many leagues and sports are tendering for new tv cycles at this point as are FIFA, UEAFA, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, The market place is proving to be extremely tough, especially as Private Equity has got into the act of owning part of the commercial rights from Leagues and sports that are for sale (they are wanting their share and have been putting aggressive pricing structures in place that broadcasters have just either refused to contemplate or seriously underbid. Those hoping that Amazon would up it's game have learned that Amazon is interested but only if it is very cheap like the giveaway that the Premier League offered them last time round,

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Sky won’t be bidding anything like what they have previously for tv rights , even Channel 4 outbid them for the cricket

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm

joey13 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm
Sky won’t be bidding anything like what they have previously for tv rights , even Channel 4 outbid them for the cricket
there were a lot of reasons for that, a bigger game being played by Comcast/Sky and even BT in that including the social need for a section of the public to have this on free to air (like lockdown football)

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm
there were a lot of reasons for that, a bigger game being played by Comcast/Sky and even BT in that including the social need for a section of the public to have this on free to air (like lockdown football)
Lockdown football isn’t free to air

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm

joey13 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:56 pm
Lockdown football isn’t free to air
some was last summer and some still is now

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm
Sky have cut back on golf and cricket the last few years because they blew all the money on Premier League , they won’t do it again

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm
some was last summer and some still is now
How many games this/last weekend ?

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:00 pm

BBC are showing much more MOTD than normal and have had a couple of games on free to air - like WBA v Fulham last week.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:05 pm

joey13 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:58 pm
Sky have cut back on golf and cricket the last few years because they blew all the money on Premier League , they won’t do it again
They don't need to and that is what is driving the rights value down, the concorde agreements between the 3 live broadcasters has driven that downward. remember that Comcast borrowed a huge sum to pay for Sky, there was always going to be a search for consolidation and cost cutting to meet that cost. Comcast are doing a lot of cost cutting in North America too, including closing down NBCSN this year - it is possible that Comcast will balance a reduction of income from Sky in the next cycle with an increase from Peacock in the US, and Sky services across Europe. There is real complexity in the overall thinking on this.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:00 pm
BBC are showing much more MOTD than normal and have had a couple of games on free to air - like WBA v Fulham last week.
A few games , it’s hardly free to view to keep the nations spirits up .It was the pay per view that got binned

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:46 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:00 pm
A very lengthy commentary from the Athletic today on the Burnley takeover - a lot of what is said is already on this thread, much of it feels like I wrote it myself, particularly those sections on leveraged debt to buy not develop the club and the somewhat poignant reminder of Barry Kilby telling the press and the DCMS committee (in a special hearing at Turf Moor no less) that owners should not put debt onto a football club to enhance their own interests.

https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/13 ... 0438088719
Nothing really new there but interesting to see another prominent journalist doubling down on the takeover details.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Nothing really new there but interesting to see another prominent journalist doubling down on the takeover details.
Was even an article about how Sheffield United ‘escaped’ ALK. Almost as boring as the numerous daily critical posts after 4 weeks in charge of the club.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:15 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 pm
Was even an article about how Sheffield United ‘escaped’ ALK. Almost as boring as the numerous daily critical posts after 4 weeks in charge of the club.
Yes or perhaps the journalists know the facts and are reporting the realities of our situation.

An owner with no money has managed to take over a premier league club. Which is looking likely will end like Bolton or Wigan in the long run.
Time will tell but I don’t understand the hate journalists are getting from a section of Burnley fans.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Sheff Utd did indeed have a very lucky escape. They're going down this year which would have been absolutely catastrophic if ALK had got their hands on them.

We'd just better hope we don't go down.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:15 pm
Yes or perhaps the journalists know the facts and are reporting the realities of our situation.

An owner with no money has managed to take over a premier league club. Which is looking likely will end like Bolton or Wigan in the long run.
Time will tell but I don’t understand the hate journalists are getting from a section of Burnley fans.
Proper ray of sunshine aren't you?

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:15 pm

How is it looking ‘likely’ we will end up like Bolton, or Wigan.

It’s not hate though, is it? I have concerns, and I have no issue with journalists putting the spotlight on our takeover, but I’m prepared to wait more than 4 weeks before I make up my mind.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm
Proper ray of sunshine aren't you?
Once the owners show us something to be happy about I will re assess my opinion.

I am still gutted that the premier league has allowed this takeover to happen. The more you read and hear highlights just how poor of a deal for the club it was.

Like I said they might make it work but at the moment it’s looking like we are going to end up like the clubs I mentioned.