ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm
Filings starting to appear at Companies House relating to the Accounts of Burnley FC Holdings Ltd (released on Easter Monday by the club
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history

and

Burnley Football and Athletic Club Limited https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ng-history
The accounts for Burnley Football and Athletic Club Limited are now available to view - I notice that the club is still filing these by registered post rather than electronically, even though they have done so early this year

Account filings for Longside Properties Limited have been registered but are not yet available to view

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:10 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:19 pm
Great summary, thanks. However, would the alleged events in the quoted paragraph not be fraudulent?
I’m pretty certain they would be, albeit difficult to prove if what was said or inferred between parties I imagine.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm
I think he has a different idea of what would find incredible :lol:

Maybe naive reading anything in to that, but it has played a role in my assuming there’s more to the structure and financial side of things that we know. I’m hoping that means Garlick didn’t leave us in as bad a state as it would first appear.
We know that there are financial aspects that they aren't making public, because they are refusing to file the company accounts for some of the holding companies even though it is required by law.

The point of this deal is that ALK and friends have invested a relatively low amount and hope in return to get a huge profit. They aren't after putting it in a bank and getting a steady and safe few percent. They are after winning big. They hope, I would presume, to keep Burnley FC in the Premier League for long enough to sell the club for much more than the investment.

They may have a crafty plan to avoid repaying the £125m that they owe the club, starting with the simplest one of declaring a dividend. Or maybe if they do sell the club, they will repay the £125m. Who knows? We certainly don't.

What we do know for certain, from the club accounts up to July 2023, is what ALK have taken out of the club. It's £4m management fees, £125m loan, and they have forced the club to pay £19.5m loan interest to service their own loans. £148.5m that the club has paid out to or on behalf of ALK.

And here's what money they have put in. Nothing. Zilch. Other investors like JJ Watt have bought shares (we presume) in the holding companies. Burnley FC haven't seen any of that money.

That's why I believe they are in it for money. It's all take take take, no give give give.

TPClaret
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by TPClaret » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am
We know that there are financial aspects that they aren't making public, because they are refusing to file the company accounts for some of the holding companies even though it is required by law.

The point of this deal is that ALK and friends have invested a relatively low amount and hope in return to get a huge profit. They aren't after putting it in a bank and getting a steady and safe few percent. They are after winning big. They hope, I would presume, to keep Burnley FC in the Premier League for long enough to sell the club for much more than the investment.

They may have a crafty plan to avoid repaying the £125m that they owe the club, starting with the simplest one of declaring a dividend. Or maybe if they do sell the club, they will repay the £125m. Who knows? We certainly don't.

What we do know for certain, from the club accounts up to July 2023, is what ALK have taken out of the club. It's £4m management fees, £125m loan, and they have forced the club to pay £19.5m loan interest to service their own loans. £148.5m that the club has paid out to or on behalf of ALK.

And here's what money they have put in. Nothing. Zilch. Other investors like JJ Watt have bought shares (we presume) in the holding companies. Burnley FC haven't seen any of that money.

That's why I believe they are in it for money. It's all take take take, no give give give.
That’s why people run businesses is it not

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am

TPClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 am
That’s why people run businesses is it not
Yes it is. And I don't want Burnley FC to be run like a business. I want Burnley FC run by someone whose ambition is for Burnley FC to continue in existence for ever, while playing football as well as we can. I don't want it to be run by someone whose ambition is to make money.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am
Yes it is. And I don't want Burnley FC to be run like a business. I want Burnley FC run by someone whose ambition is for Burnley FC to continue in existence for ever, while playing football as well as we can. I don't want it to be run by someone whose ambition is to make money.
I will respond to your other post properly when I get time but I think in summary, that’s an unrealistic ambition. Not just for Burnley FC but for all football clubs and I personally don’t think a position we have been in for a long while (so nothing particularly new).

In your existence forever point, all fans feel the same but it is worth noting that there are very few clubs that have ceased to exist (Bury, Macc). Theres a lot more whose financial woes have seen them drop down the leagues, but most survive even the most reckless ownership for a whole host of reasons. It’s a bit like a house doesn’t get knocked down just because the current owner can’t pay the mortgage. Not that anyone ever wants that to be a consideration, of course, just that I think the risk of complete extinction is very low.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 pm
The accounts for Burnley Football and Athletic Club Limited are now available to view - I notice that the club is still filing these by registered post rather than electronically, even though they have done so early this year

Account filings for Longside Properties Limited have been registered but are not yet available to view

Chances are the auditors are filing the accounts.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:40 pm
Yes, I’m sure they realise that the club being successful is the best chance of them realising a profit. But their idea of success may be very different to ours. We may place a higher value on winning the FA cup whereas they may place a higher value on selling a player purchased for £2m for £50m.

In terms of the motivations for their investment in football. My understanding is that they have manufactured a way to make a significant amount of money for a relatively small personal outlay. Would you agree? When Pace bought the club I recall him saying how amazed people would be when they saw how clever their deal was (or words to those effects). It does seem like a very clever deal from their point of view but not necessarily one I would expect fans to be so enthusiastic about.

I must stress, I don’t have a problem with the owners expecting to benefit financially from buying and running the club. I’m just disagreeing with people who, in my opinion, seem to think that this is some form of altruistic pursuit.
Leveraged buyouts aren't peculiar to football and there are plenty of business areas with much less stringent regulations where they could attempt the same.

I'd agree that profit is a driving factor but I think to attempt it in the way they have done with direct involvement with the very hands on approach, Pace moving to Burnley, etc there also needs to be a significant interest in running a football club.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am
Just been reminded to look at this by todays 'From the Bee Hole End' podcast

that allocation to Velocity Capital (UK) Holdings ltd in the Confirmation Statement is incorrect according to my understanding, it never held those shares, they were immediately assigned to the Velocity Sports entity I alluded to above - which is not the one you assume, as I warned.
The correct thing to happen for an incorrect Confirmation Statement is to submit a new one with the correct information. I'd be somewhat surprised if it was incorrect, although the various stuff going on with filing stuff means maybe not that surprised.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 am

Goliath wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 pm
Yep the reason I mention Leicester was because of the amount of exposure they had in Thailand. They literally had a big club shop and merchandise all over Bangkok airport when I was there. It was unbelievable and made me realise who actually owned them.

If it's not made much difference to their status as a club in Asia after winning the league as well then what chance do we have
And who owns the shop at the airport? King Power who own Leicester City. They've had the team out there countless times but I don't believe there has been any real benefit.

TPClaret
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by TPClaret » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am
Might as well be in league 2 like Accy Stanley. I’m sure some fans would be happy to be in league two again with 7000 gates. If we want to be in the premier league we need to generate money from other revenue streams. Which the board are trying to do

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 pm

TPClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 pm
Might as well be in league 2 like Accy Stanley. I’m sure some fans would be happy to be in league two again with 7000 gates. If we want to be in the premier league we need to generate money from other revenue streams. Which the board are trying to do
Of course they are. One very useful revenue stream would be if they paid back the £125m they have "borrowed" from the club. How hard are they trying?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

TPClaret wrote:
What other revenue streams are they trying?

From what I can see, they are just fleecing every last penny from fans already here.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:51 pm

TPClaret wrote:
Why didn't we need to generate money from other revenue streams under Mike Garlick to be in the Premier League? Why don't Luton? What are Brentford's alternate revenue streams that Burnley are not tapping into? What revenue streams do you believe we have been failing to tap into that are required for us to be in the Premier League?

The only revenue stream that has been identified by Alan Pace is Burnley fans bank accounts, cryptocurrency, NFT's, mega interest credit cards (and perhaps Amazon Prime, though I have no idea what they're paying us/have paid us).

Pointless even responding on the stuff about being happy to be in League Two - absolutely nobody wants Burnley relegated this season let alone anything worse. One thing is for certain, it'll be the fans you're choosing to criticise (instead of ALK) dealing with the aftermath if that ever did come to pass.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:51 pm
Why didn't we need to generate money from other revenue streams under Mike Garlick to be in the Premier League? Why don't Luton? What are Brentford's alternate revenue streams that Burnley are not tapping into? What revenue streams do you believe we have been failing to tap into that are required for us to be in the Premier League?

The only revenue stream that has been identified by Alan Pace is Burnley fans bank accounts, cryptocurrency, NFT's, mega interest credit cards (and perhaps Amazon Prime, though I have no idea what they're paying us/have paid us).

Pointless even responding on the stuff about being happy to be in League Two - absolutely nobody wants Burnley relegated this season let alone anything worse. One thing is for certain, it'll be the fans you're choosing to criticise (instead of ALK) dealing with the aftermath if that ever did come to pass.
They must have done all these really badly too as I haven't seen any of them.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm
They must have done all these really badly too as I haven't seen any of them.
Doesn't shock me to be honest, but:

Crypto / Card (I will actually remove the 'mega interest' statement in my post - it appears moreover to be a Revolut style card to use abroad with ability to use crypto as payment and so on): https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/mor ... ial/uphold

NFT: https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... technology

I meant Sky rather than Amazon Prime - there must have been some sort of financial incentive but unsure if this has ever actually been shared. I have seen Pace getting filmed multiple times before games this season so a second series is clearly in production (a camera was following behind him in Longside hospitality pre-game against Brighton for example).

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:22 am
And with a share in ownership, no doubt they expect a share in the profits.
All shareholders, including the "small shareholders" who have retained their shares in BFCHL will receive the same dividend per share as and when any dividends are declared.

Just as all the previous directors who sold their shares to ALK in December 2020 sold for the same share price. Those that had held their shares for the longest will have made the biggest profit per share.

This is as it should be.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:09 am
Hi Paul, why do you think it's better for the club to have a multinational mix in the ownership?
It's a large world we all live in. I think it's great that people from several corners of the world all want to invest in Burnley Football Club. I also think it's good for the town of Burnley and the rest of North East Lancashire (I'm a proud Accrington lad) that the region is known by and open to connections with the rest of the world.

I've travelled a lot with work, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa and North America. (I never got to Australia or Central and South American while I was working, but was frequently in phone calls and later email contact with people in those regions. I also never got to Russia, but had Russian friends and colleagues). I lived for a time in the Netherlands and a shorter period in New York. It's often said that travel broadens the mind. Getting to know people from different parts of the world does the same.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 am
Not really clear to me how anyone can view our current ownership with anything other than dread and upset.
Agree somewhat, hate the finances behind the takeover but I do like the ambition shown in the market. It’s just a shame they’re being ambitious with 0 of their own money.

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm
All shareholders, including the "small shareholders" who have retained their shares in BFCHL will receive the same dividend per share as and when any dividends are declared.

Just as all the previous directors who sold their shares to ALK in December 2020 sold for the same share price. Those that had held their shares for the longest will have made the biggest profit per share.

This is as it should be.

UTC
This isn't actually true, because the directors all got cash for their shares, the smaller shareholders had half of theirs in a credit note. This was probably illegal but it wasn't challenged.

How do you know that ALK will act legally in respect of dividends and smaller shareholders, when they probably haven't in respect of small shareholder buyouts, and certainly haven't in respect of filing accounts? They are not slavish adherents to the law.

Besides, I understand they have now squeaked over 90% of the shareholding which gives them the right to buy out all the minority shareholders. I have no reason to believe this will be at the same price, with or wothout credit notes, as the earlier purchases - enough time will have gone past that they can revalue the offer.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm
This isn't actually true, because the directors all got cash for their shares, the smaller shareholders had half of theirs in a credit note. This was probably illegal but it wasn't challenged.

How do you know that ALK will act legally in respect of dividends and smaller shareholders, when they probably haven't in respect of small shareholder buyouts, and certainly haven't in respect of filing accounts? They are not slavish adherents to the law.

Besides, I understand they have now squeaked over 90% of the shareholding which gives them the right to buy out all the minority shareholders. I have no reason to believe this will be at the same price, with or without credit notes, as the earlier purchases - enough time will have gone past that they can revalue the offer.
Hi dsr, have a look at what I wrote again. I didn't mention the secondary offer to small shareholders to sell their shares to ALK. That offer was made some months later. There is no reason why an offer made at different time has exactly the same details as the offer accepted by the previous directors. Yes, there was a "club credit" element. If I recall correctly, the price offered was slightly higher, cash and club credit combined, than the offer agreed by the previous directors. Also, the previous directors didn't receive the full price in a single cash payment, there was an initial payment and then one or more later payments (I think details could have been different for different directors).

How do I know that ALK will follow the law when the club declares dividends? Lots and lots of reasons. Why do you claim that they haven't followed the law in other respects?

If you are interested in minority shareholders in private companies, this firm of solicitors may be able to advise: www.gannons.co.uk/shareholder-rights/mi ... reholders/

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 pm

Oh Flat Tax Paul, time will tell, I hope you're right this time.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am

First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off again for Kettering Capital, nothing on Calder Vale Holdings yet.

It's all a bit of a bizarre situation with these and their lack of accounts.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:04 am

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 pm
Doesn't shock me to be honest, but:

Crypto / Card (I will actually remove the 'mega interest' statement in my post - it appears moreover to be a Revolut style card to use abroad with ability to use crypto as payment and so on): https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/mor ... ial/uphold

NFT: https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... technology

I meant Sky rather than Amazon Prime - there must have been some sort of financial incentive but unsure if this has ever actually been shared. I have seen Pace getting filmed multiple times before games this season so a second series is clearly in production (a camera was following behind him in Longside hospitality pre-game against Brighton for example).
I posted elsewhere that I'd got one of those cards, as you say more of a Revolut style thing and I think the money there was actually going to BFC in the Community (got a vague memory of a fiver per card opr something, it didn't cost anything to get one). I don't think the NFT stuff is much more than fluff (with no cost to the fans).

I suspect that the amount of money from the documentary is minimal and the main hope there is exposure and increased revenues thereon.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:17 am

aggi wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 am
First Gazette notice for compulsory strike-off again for Kettering Capital, nothing on Calder Vale Holdings yet.

It's all a bit of a bizarre situation with these and their lack of accounts.
Indeed - 1st set of accounts will be officially 18 months late on Friday (same day the Asset Match auction closes - though there is no mention of the issues at Calder Vale Holdings and Kettering Capital there - in part due to the convenient switching of club share owner in October last year, as we know, they even got that bit wrong on the Asset Match information - 2nd Set of accounts are close to 10 months late.

but no need to worry it is being taken care of :roll:

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm

so the first Asset Match auction closed today - no shares were traded (that I know of) the 2nd such auction has commenced immediately with a closing date of July 26th 2024 - the documents associated with the listing have not changed.

https://www.assetmatch.com/app/OurCompa ... anyId=2560

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:51 am

I've said before but I'm a bit surprised there has been much discussion on the minutiae of structural issues like shareholding and little on the meaning of the accounts going forward..

From any perspective, this is a problematic set of accounts. Not least because it doesn't include almost £40 million that was spent in the summer and although the contingent liabilities are not accounted for as assets there is potentially another £15 million worth of liability in terms of players contracts not to mention whatever is included in the contracts of the £40 million not included in these accounts.

The Balance Sheet is bolstered by the inter company debt and cashflow by the receipt of £40 million from players sales that happened from the previous summer.

Commercial revenue has dropped dramatically and there is no evidence of external investment.

Looking at the accounts over a couple of weeks - it surprises me not the auditors are flagging up cash flow issues. The cash is being shored up by bank borrowings and debt from players sales now satisfied.

It's very hard to see the overall picture but if we are relegated a combination of the loss of PL broadcast revenue, the re-structure of bank loans, the bringing forward of transfer debt and the fact we haven't sold anyone recently would hit cash quite badly. I suppose you could ponder that the PL revenue would mitigate some of that but I guess the auditors have seen the forecasts and aren't entirely convinced.

Survival is everything.....!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:51 am
I've said before but I'm a bit surprised there has been much discussion on the minutiae of structural issues like shareholding and little on the meaning of the accounts going forward..

From any perspective, this is a problematic set of accounts. Not least because it doesn't include almost £40 million that was spent in the summer and although the contingent liabilities are not accounted for as assets there is potentially another £15 million worth of liability in terms of players contracts not to mention whatever is included in the contracts of the £40 million not included in these accounts.

The Balance Sheet is bolstered by the inter company debt and cashflow by the receipt of £40 million from players sales that happened from the previous summer.

Commercial revenue has dropped dramatically and there is no evidence of external investment.

Looking at the accounts over a couple of weeks - it surprises me not the auditors are flagging up cash flow issues. The cash is being shored up by bank borrowings and debt from players sales now satisfied.

It's very hard to see the overall picture but if we are relegated a combination of the loss of PL broadcast revenue, the re-structure of bank loans, the bringing forward of transfer debt and the fact we haven't sold anyone recently would hit cash quite badly. I suppose you could ponder that the PL revenue would mitigate some of that but I guess the auditors have seen the forecasts and aren't entirely convinced.

Survival is everything.....!
I posted about this at the time - the only thing you have missed re cash flow is that we factored part of the parachute payments early last summer as well.

If there is a requirement to reduce the capital on the MGG loan (as was the case with both the Macquarie and MSD loans) then there is an immediate chase for cash, though that may equate to what would have had to be paid in bonuses and conditional transfer payments if we stay up. There will be a number of standard transfer instalments to pay in June also - certainly more than indicated in the last accounts as a result of the additional incomings you have mentioned.

So how does the club generate the extra cash?

the obvious route is player sales - Profit can potentially be booked thanks to amortisation, but this is not cash. Factoring of any significant sales is an option, but we must also consider the differences in rules around players signed internationally and domestically.

A domestically acquired player, must have all outstanding payments completed in a subsequent selling transaction.

With an Internationally acquired player, the terms of the original transaction apply, which is why I still believe we are paying for Maxwell Cornet eve though we allegedly got a full fee up front for him from West Ham. This may make it more attractive to sell those internationally acquired players.

If the club want/need to kick the cash flow issue even further down the road it could factor the staged payments on transfers outwards this summer, though it will no doubt prefer to get the cash in upfront.

Of course the auditors made warnings about the plans regarding player sales - it is expected that the mid-market will tighten up domestically as FFP/PSR has now proven it has teeth and there are new rules coming in on that front as well. the Premier League is also the entering the final year of the current broadcast deals and we already know the next domestic deal is flat and most of the major global markets are in the middle of loner term deals - only the UEFA clubs will see TV revenue growth next season thanks to it's new format and substantially increased broadcast agreements.

On reflection, it is of little surprise that the club has recently become a leading actor in issues that are seen to impact it's own operational situation - first by being the visible broker of engagement between the EFL Championship and the Premier League (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74339) and this week by joining the Union of European Clubs (and becoming Executive representatives (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75557) who are fighting for a voice with UEFA (and FIFA) and against the might of the ECA who have exclusionary agreements with both UEFA and FIFA . It is amazing how self interest can change perspectives, remember how ALK/VSL were originally in favour of the Independent Regulator when they took over and then against it when they saw the fan led review and Government White Paper, how long before they switch again?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:55 pm

Alan Pace wasn’t just in favour of an independent regulator, he was demanding that the Government get one in place.