Dyche Today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32372 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Re: Dyche Today

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:19 pm

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 pm
I think as Nixon alluded to, he knows how to play the audience very well....thought it was great viewing and Sean at his very best.... you sense the journos are very nervous asking the questions.
If you speak to the journos who attend regularly they will tell you how good he is with them and has a lot of banter with them. I think it is just some people not getting his sense of humour.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:19 pm
If you speak to the journos who attend regularly they will tell you how good he is with them and has a lot of banter with them. I think it is just some people not getting his sense of humour.
He served his apprenticeship under the legendary Brian Clough.

Sometimes you can hear an echo of the great man in Sean's replies.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:19 pm
Totally agree, very much in the Sir Alex mode...in total control. Very much tongue in cheek, but with a slight dig thrown in.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3147 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:35 pm

For those who have not seen it - today's press conference with Sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA2caoDVFfY

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:06 pm
Maybe they do think we have squad capable of surviving, like the bookies and most people who aren't neurotic Burnley fans.
What do you think?

If we stay as we are and then lose Tarky for 6 months, could we survive? Over the last few years we have won very few games with Long starting.

The bookies have us as 4th favourites to go down, about a 1 in 3 chance. Not sure I’d be risking a big investment on that basis, I’d want that risk reflecting in the price. My point is, whether you are the buyer or the seller it suits them to ensure major gaps in the squad are filled. I don’t really see the logic of not doing a bit of splashing out, without going crazy.

I certainly don’t get the logic of the Long Time Lurker view in a reply to me earlier that relegation could be great for the investors. I don’t see those numbers stacking up at all.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 pm
What do you think?

If we stay as we are and then lose Tarky for 6 months, could we survive? Over the last few years we have won very few games with Long starting.

The bookies have us as 4th favourites to go down, about a 1 in 3 chance. Not sure I’d be risking a big investment on that basis, I’d want that risk reflecting in the price. My point is, whether you are the buyer or the seller it suits them to ensure major gaps in the squad are filled. I don’t really see the logic of not doing a bit of splashing out, without going crazy.

I certainly don’t get the logic of the Long Time Lurker view in a reply to me earlier that relegation could be great for the investors. I don’t see those numbers stacking up at all.
We broke our transfer record on a reserve CH to back up Mee and Tarks and the man who signed him, goes into great detail on the characters of players and getting the right man in. Well apparently. But Dyche sent him back to his former club to train.

I’ve got to point where I know Dyche hasn’t a clue what our finances are. I’m not even sure he knows what numeracy is at all.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Dyched wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 pm

We broke our transfer record on a reserve CH to back up Mee and Tarks and the man who signed him, goes into great detail on the characters of players and getting the right man in. Well apparently. But Dyche sent him back to his former club to train.

I’ve got to point where I know Dyche hasn’t a clue what our finances are. I’m not even sure he knows what numeracy is at all.
I would agree he doesn’t come out of this smelling of roses.

My point was that not investing in filling major gaps should affect the value of the club and hence the sale price, and hence makes no sense. Dyche’s performance with Gibson has been a farce, he somehow managed to give the guy no conceivable hope of a first team run (it needed to be a signing like Hendrick, where he gets a dozen starts a year at least), little surprise they fell out, but that is a different issue.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:25 pm

His management of Vydra has also been poor, if Barnes hadn’t been injured Dyche would have let him go last January. He didn’t do much for Wells either.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:28 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:40 pm
What do you think?

I agree with the bookies in that we're more likely to stay up than go down and I don't think I've seen a single preseason prediction that had us in the bottom three. The only people who think we're likely to be relegated are the posters on here who say it every season - although the numbers do seem to be growing this time. The post of yours I was replying to suggested that our squad isn't capable of surviving, of course it's capable.

If we lose Tarks for half the season, obviously our chances of survival would decrease, but that's highly unlikely and will be factored into the odds.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 1220 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:12 am

ewanrob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 pm
I think as Nixon alluded to, he knows how to play the audience very well....thought it was great viewing and Sean at his very best.... you sense the journos are very nervous asking the questions.
It makes me laugh how journos are nervous of him? What is there to be nervous about? The only thing I can think of is him making them look stupid, he was toying with them. I could have predicted Dyche’s answers to half of the questions.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:19 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:12 am
It makes me laugh how journos are nervous of him? What is there to be nervous about? The only thing I can think of is him making them look stupid, he was toying with them. I could have predicted Dyche’s answers to half of the questions.
Agree not so sure why anyone would be nervous of him. Especially when journalists have said how approachable when they’ve done interviews with him in the past.

enduroclaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by enduroclaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:14 am

If Garlick won't spend due to an immanent take over, why would Dyche walk out now?
He may have been frustrated in this transfer window, but come January surely.....with Garlick out of the picture....the purse stings will slacken and Dyche will finally get to land some of the "Hundreds" of players he looks at.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:47 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:12 am
It's a hot potato right now, they are aware something is wrong and I get the sense there is a trepidation (not nervousness maybe) and are trying to possibly get a reaction from Sean...but hes just great at batting them away

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 am

I watched the entire press conference last night. My observation (for what its worth) is this:
Lazy questions from the journalists about forthcoming transfer signings. Do they expect Dyche to answer the questions this week when he has (to my knowledge) never been forthcoming about his transfer targets in press conferences since he has been at the club. That's been his style all along and I prefer that, Dyche playing it with a straight bat.

I'll be glad when the transfer deadline closes on Monday evening and we can get back to press conferences which don't involve lazy questions about potential transfer speculation.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:36 am

The fact Dyche has got us to Europe, 10th last season, fought off relegation a few times and a couple of promotions means he knows what he's doing! There may have been a few failures in certain transfers but if you can't accept that then there's something wrong. The previous comments on Gibson, Wells & Vydra all being highlighted as failings or not helping our cause are nonsense:

1) It's a squad game is football. Our best 11 available always plays. The ones who aren't good enough go on the bench hence why the aforementioned have mostly been on the bench.

2) How does Sean know this? He sees them in training and bases his decisions there. We all know from years of interviews from players that training is hard and as close to matchday intensity as possible. So I'm sure he sees who is best in form and has more talent than others.

3) We also know that Sean buys players to build a squad for exactly this - to have a competitive in-house mentality with better quality players than previously (not necessarily 1st 11 every week material) to push others in training, get that extra few % out of others or give these better quality incoming transfers the chance to break into the 11. He knows that these squad like players (Lennon, Hart, Gibson, etc) have helped us on the pitch in other indirect ways. Even Crouch seemed a waste but still to have the famous Crouchy banter, having a laugh with the players I'm sure was good for a few months in the dressing room and enhanced our team spirit.

Dyche has some part of the blame because he has created these parameters. The financial limitations may have influenced this criteria even further as well as his coaching/management style and way of working. So it goes hand in hand. But it is a shame that Mike & Sean's relationship is so bad because it seems there has been an understanding and respect for the way we manage the club throughout their time here.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:44 am

We were the best run club in the league, don’t know who’s responsible but we’re being made to look like a set of ***** now. Needs sorting.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:45 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:21 pm
That's the spirit.

:roll:
Happy after our scintillating performance tonight then ? Don't worry we are now being linked to a player in Scotland who usually plays teams the equivalent of Sunday League pub teams and wow wait for it the loan fee offered is £500,000. You couldn't make it up.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:49 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:15 pm
Calm down dear ffs, while I get your frustration ,hysterical pre menstral screeching won’t get us anywhere . Have a glass of water or something .

Tarks and Barnes are back and the rest of the squad as good as back after break so plenty of positives . Granted,I’d have welcomed a strong serious right sided signing , and pretty suprised we didn’t stretch to Wilson but with big investment around the corner this ain’t the times for tears
Tick tock, nearer the drop. After tonight I suggest a lobotomy would be better for people who think there is not a major problem.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:50 pm

Post-defeat thread bump. Classic move. Never gets old. Pat on the back etc.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:53 pm

That is that.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 pm

Not difficult to understand why. TV rebates, zero matchday revenue, upcoming broadcast rights auctions will almost certainly be depressed. Football is falling down a hole at the minute. Folks really need to read the magic money tree thread, honestly. Understanding the state of the game financially makes our lack of transfer activity a whole lot more understandable.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 pm

SGr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:53 pm
That is that.

If that is true that is an absolute shambles.

I hope to god its either mind games to either board or selling clubs.

If not this is our worse window we have ever had. And I include times when we have been in the fourth division. To throw the towel in on £100m a year and god knows when we would ever get back here is absolutely disgusting.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 pm
Not difficult to understand why. TV rebates, zero matchday revenue, upcoming broadcast rights auctions will almost certainly be depressed. Football is falling down a hole at the minute. Folks really need to read the magic money tree thread, honestly. Understanding the state of the game financially makes our lack of transfer activity a whole lot more understandable.
To an extent yes we have to be cautious.

But what makes anyone think that surrendering our status and heading to the championship will have us any better off financially or commercially!?
This user liked this post: Stevie Morgan

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:03 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:

If not this is our worse window we have ever had. And I include times when we have been in the fourth division. To throw the towel in on £100m a year and god knows when we would ever get back here is absolutely disgusting.
At least we won’t be the next Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth etc etc.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Spiral wrote:
in which case the chairman should come out and explain the position
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm

our window has another 2 weeks, we only sign players from the Championship

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:03 pm
That’s not an achievement...

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:10 pm

And we won’t be the next Burnley either.

We’ve had such an opportunity. And it’s going sour like this.

This is why so many were ****** off at how shabbily we treat the European adventure. Most of us knew that those opportunities come around once in a generation at best. But everyone else was adamant staying up was the holy grail.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:11 pm

Perhaps all those who on the board with their sarcasm in response to my original post may need to reflect a little more after the mediocre performance tonight. There are serious problems at the club as set out in my response to Claret Tony. It might also be useful to remind people that a large number of our current squad are in the last year of their contract very soon on top of all the other issues I pointed out.

Tarks may be worth less at the end of this season, how do we replace all the players out of contract then? If we go down there will be a fire sale to lower the wages of players, no money available again for transfers, players won't want to stay if they are younger or are our best assets and we may have lost the best manager we have had for a very long time.

It is not just me saying we should provide Sean Dyche with funds to strengthen the team, the PLAYERS in the team are, read their statements. Football pundits on TV all say the same thing and now more and more posters are venting their disgust at the dross being currently served up as can be seen on other topics on the board tonight.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm
To an extent yes we have to be cautious.

But what makes anyone think that surrendering our status and heading to the championship will have us any better off financially or commercially!?
If only it were so simple. I can only assume we've planned for relegation in the form of relegation clauses. There's a navigable strategy in place (depressing as it is) should the worse happen. There never existed a solid strategy for navigating the collapse of football in the way the pandemic has brought about, i.e. a 'price correction' to use economic terms, because it wasn't exactly on anyone's radar before March of this year. Sure, the transfer market is alive and kicking with the realms of the funny-money clubs - those backed by the oligarchs, the sovereign wealth funds, and those with a $hitload of hopefully-just-about-manageable debt - but back in the real world everyone else has had to readjust. Burnley is hunkering down. That's all we can do, really. Hunker down, fight every battle. Sounds romantic, and it is a bit, but unless there's a magic wand laying about anywhere we're f.ucked.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 pm

I’m sure the chairman will come out and explain what’s going on.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 pm

Garlic has been aggressively trying to sell the club for 2 years. Now he has a serious bite any money spent on transfers comes straight out of his goodbye treasure chest so zero chance of any sizeable signings. Dyce throws his toys out, probably rightly so. We're left with a toxic environment seeping through the club. We've done so we'll because of the belief in the group that Dyche has instilled. He no longer has that belief. We're in trouble

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Spiral wrote:
Why can’t we loan the money if we are broke? Spend £30M in the market, if we go down, sell Tarkowski Mcneil and Pope for £70M+?

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Spiral wrote:
Except it only applies at Burnley, as all the other PL teams are strengthening their squads, spending money on players and they don't all have billionaires funding them. Its just that we have always had an Arkwrights corner shop mentality. None is suggesting we buy £50m players. Surely though we can afford some players but it appears we can't even compete with Championship clubs, loan players, far cheaper European players. With the exception of Wilson we don't even seem to be bidding for players at £!0m its a joke.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 pm
If only it were so simple. I can only assume we've planned for relegation in the form of relegation clauses. There's a navigable strategy in place (depressing as it is) should the worse happen. There never existed a solid strategy for navigating the collapse of football in the way the pandemic has brought about, i.e. a 'price correction' to use economic terms, because it wasn't exactly on anyone's radar before March of this year. Sure, the transfer market is alive and kicking with the realms of the funny-money clubs - those backed by the oligarchs, the sovereign wealth funds, and those with a $hitload of hopefully-just-about-manageable debt - but back in the real world everyone else has had to readjust. Burnley is hunkering down. That's all we can do, really. Hunker down, fight every battle. Sounds romantic, and it is a bit, but unless there's a magic wand laying about anywhere we're f.ucked.
I don’t disagree. But if football finances reset. And player values plummet. Even then we are in a strong position compared to many others. Zero debt. Lower wages than most. Less overheads as a club. Many players soon to be out of contract. Less losses with no fans than most.

I think caution is required. I don’t disagree. But surrendering isn't the best approach.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 pm
Garlic has been aggressively trying to sell the club for 2 years. Now he has a serious bite any money spent on transfers comes straight out of his goodbye treasure chest so zero chance of any sizeable signings. Dyce throws his toys out, probably rightly so. We're left with a toxic environment seeping through the club. We've done so we'll because of the belief in the group that Dyche has instilled. He no longer has that belief. We're in trouble
Garlick should absolutely be looking at the bigger picture. As to be fair should any would be investor.

But they are both looking at it purely from a numbers and short term view.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:17 pm
Why can’t we loan the money if we are broke? Spend £30M in the market, if we go down, sell Tarkowski Mcneil and Pope for £70M+?
Tbf that’s not the right strategy either. Even for those of us who want us to spend.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:17 pm
They all get covid and die. Then what?

Extreme example, I know, but what you're advocating is putting the club at the risk of being over leveraged. Never in the history of any business, ever, has this been a good idea.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm
They all get covid and die. Then what?

Extreme example, I know, but what you're advocating is putting the club at the risk of being over leveraged. Never in the history of any business, ever, has this been a good idea.
Most businesses leverage all the time, its called invest to grow the business, very commonplace.

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:20 pm
Garlick should absolutely be looking at the bigger picture. As to be fair should any would be investor.

But they are both looking at it purely from a numbers and short term view.
He's been trying to get out for 2 years at 100mill

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 pm
He's been trying to get out for 2 years at 100mill
He’s not tried that hard then :lol:

In all seriousness. His Financial motivation is crippling the club and demoralising player and manager.

He isn’t putting the club first.

Yes he stands to earn a lot of money. But he could still earn more money than he would ever need and leave with dignity and an incredible legacy

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm
I don’t disagree. But if football finances reset. And player values plummet. Even then we are in a strong position compared to many others. Zero debt. Lower wages than most. Less overheads as a club. Many players soon to be out of contract. Less losses with no fans than most.

I think caution is required. I don’t disagree. But surrendering isn't the best approach.
'Surrender' is such a nonsense term. The notion has no practical use, let's get real. I think what you've quite rightly observed can be best described as Burnley being naturally sustainable. This has been Garlick's aim, and to my mind his legacy to this club (for which he has been, and I suspect still will be in the future, greatly under-appreciated). I can't find fathom any reason why this approach to running a club should be upended, least of all in a time of great financial uncertainty. It isn't relegation that kills clubs, it's out of control wage bills that does it for them. I want players as much as anyone, but I'm just less inclined to be outraged at the chairman as others might be if that doesn't happen. I think I'm being more realistic in my outlook, but there again I naturally would think that, wouldn't I?
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:44 am
We were the best run club in the league, don’t know who’s responsible but we’re being made to look like a set of ***** now. Needs sorting.
We are still in the honeymoon period, if you think this is a shambles you haven't seen anything yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bccZCHr-fI

A two hour long interview with Clint Hill, who is now working with Joey B at Fleetwood. A really good watch with lots of humorous stories about his time in football, working with various managers, the infamous Barton sending off against Man City and if you skip forward to 51:40 he talks about his time at QPR and the impact that a Rigg transfer strategy had on that club. He also talks about his own contract negotiations with Rigg.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... 0of%20£65m.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/-8 ... punishment

https://atthematch.com/article/qpr-face ... literation

The same thing happened at Fulham. Poor signings, two complete squad overhauls, the owner having to pump huge amounts of money into the club to keep it afloat, FFP embargoes, a two month search for a new manager after Rigg sacked Kit Symons ( resulting in the fall from a solid mid table position to a desperate fight against relegation ), toxic in fighting, a big move towards a " two boxes ticked " statistical recruitment model, the new manager upset he was out of the loop in respect to recruitment, down and down they went, deeper and darker until a change was eventually made.

And people are calling for Garlick to throw open the doors of the dry powder room and back our new recruitment set up with everything we have. We need players, we need to spend, but we need value for money, we need to keep one eye on protecting our financial future and we need to be able to trust the person who is directing our expenditure on recruitment / players to do a good job.

We can only spend our hard earned and prudently saved money once, get it wrong and we lose our future. Not that long ago Wigan were in the EPL, they had a fairly good team, money in the bank, a stadium, a new training ground and now they have nothing.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:32 pm
'Surrender' is such a nonsense term. The notion has no practical use, let's get real. I think what you've quite rightly observed can be best described as Burnley being naturally sustainable. This has been Garlick's aim, and to my mind his legacy to this club (for which he has been, and I suspect still will be in the future, greatly under-appreciated). I can't find fathom any reason why this approach to running a club should be upended, least of all in a time of great financial uncertainty. It isn't relegation that kills clubs, it's out of control wage bills that does it for them. I want players as much as anyone, but I'm just less inclined to be outraged at the chairman as others might be if that doesn't happen. I think I'm being more realistic in my outlook, but there again I naturally would think that, wouldn't I?
I agree with a lot of your points. And I hope that soon the investment off the field in training facilities and the like set us up for future. On and off the field.

I dread going back to the days where we have to sell the ground to survive.

But we have already this season been at a point where we haven’t been able to fill the bench.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:21 pm
Tbf that’s not the right strategy either. Even for those of us who want us to spend.
Then what is the right thing? It seems like the club don’t have money to invest and you said you don’t wanna surrender. Players are assets, with a market value, I see no issue with investing into our squad being safe with knowledge that if all goes tits up, we have potentially close to £100M in assets to sell and recoup in emergency. Why not spend now and recoup later? What’s the benefit of waving the white flag now, getting relegated, selling our assets and then rebuilding. Seems counter productive to me, why not have your flashiest most expensive assets and your new assets playing together in the same squad.
This user liked this post: diamondpocket

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:40 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:24 pm
Most businesses leverage all the time, its called invest to grow the business, very commonplace.
No $hit, but I was quite deliberate in using the word over leveraging. We don't have £30m+ in assets to mortgage away if it all goes to pot and nobody wants our crown jewels a year from now. It' entirely possible for a footballer to run out his contract while contributing sod all to the team.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:40 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 pm
If what you say is true then why wouldn’t Garlick decide to cash in on £35m+ for Tarkowski?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:40 pm
No $hit, but I was quite deliberate in using the word over leveraging. We don't have £30m+ in assets to mortgage away if it all goes to pot and nobody wants our crown jewels a year from now. It' entirely possible for a footballer to run out his contract while contributing sod all to the team.
Yes we do, with the way some on here big up Tarkowski, his left leg must be £30M alone.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 pm

But in a couple of years we could quite easily be on a par with them playing League 1 football. They may have had ownership disasters but they are still operating and looking to fight back. Remember that almost all Championship clubs are running at a loss and are in huge debt investing in players to try and get up. We'd have to do the same going down because 90% of our team would be sold or left to leave meaning a complete overhaul. Sean wouldn't stay and rebuild us, he's already done that and proven he can do it. Plus, being financially well of he'd be happy to go into some media work for a while and chill out, rightly so. If we go down this year during COVID times it would be the new ITV digital for us, building up again from day one.
I'd prefer to stay where we are and invest now and back Dyche.

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:47 pm

Because without him we might get relegated