(What's the Story) Morning Glory? - 25yrs old today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - 25yrs old today

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:09 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:54 am
Never been a big fan and could never understand all the fuss about Oasis. Bit of a Beatles tribute band imo. I also don't think there music has stood the 'test of time'.
It stands to reason if you didn't like the music in the 90s that you won't like it now.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:54 am
Never been a big fan and could never understand all the fuss about Oasis. Bit of a Beatles tribute band imo. I also don't think there music has stood the 'test of time'.
There’s a basic formula to Oasis songs - find words that rhyme with the previous lyrics and make it sound profound.

Some tracks sound like they’ve been written by a computer script instructed to write songs - it knows what words rhyme and how to construct sentences to a melody, but it doesn’t understand context of what’s being sung... but for some reason, it works.

That said, I think they have stood the test of time, they sound just had good now as they ever did.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claret2018
Been Liked: 818 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:14 pm

The production on this album always struck me as strange- aside from Hello and Some Might Say, it all sounds a bit limp. Everything is drowned in reverb and the guitars sound too soft.

Listening to it now I think it sounds very dated, and I’m surprised at how much filler there is on there

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1771 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:14 pm
The production on this album always struck me as strange- aside from Hello and Some Might Say, it all sounds a bit limp. Everything is drowned in reverb and the guitars sound too soft.

Listening to it now I think it sounds very dated, and I’m surprised at how much filler there is on there
If you haven’t already, watch Supersonic on Netflix. There’s a part that details the recording of their first few tracks - and they sound awful. Its like karaoke.

The tracks only come to life when they brought in the third engineer who recorded the songs to sound like they should do - live and loud, with reverb and distortion - then it sounded big and real. That’s what made them stand out

Some songs are ‘overproduced’ though, I agree

https://youtu.be/5327E6DT7IU
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAM
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by LAM » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:26 pm

This was and remains my favourite album. Didn’t have my favourite song on it though, Whatever.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Saw them in summer of 1994 at leeds irish centre. They opened up with "listen up" if I remember correctly. It was not long after theyd released Shakermaker and before Live forever. So at that point , all I'd heard was the 2 singles . ( this was pre Definately Maybe) . Think it was a Thursday night and the 300 or so there, were like me , most if the set was first time hearing. However, when they did Cigarettes and Alcohol, with its Marc Bolanesque intro , the whole place just went off. Noel was wearing shades and I thought he was trying to look cool. However , it turns out he'd got lippy at the previous night's gig in Newcastle and got whacked by a geordie. The sunglasses were to hide the shiner.
Ocean Colour Scene were support.

Saw em a few months later at a pre Christmas gig. Around the time theyd released Whatever. Definitely Maybe had been released and they were already getting big. Theyd hired a pub across the road from the academy for an after show party. Immediately after the gig they all piled out of a side door back stage to get in a waiting Rolls Royce limo that , literally did a Uturn to the other side of the rode, where the pub was, where they then got out. The Rock n Roll lifestyles had arrived !

True story.

Anyway, here's my suggestion for one of the best songs and a brilliant performance of it . Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/mnVdYJDtvVg
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:06 am

https://twitter.com/Matt_Santangelo/sta ... 81282?s=09
Jorginiho leading the Italian football team in a rendition of WonderWall 25 years on, would indicate how far the music reached and how relevant it still is.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I'm not a big Oasis fan though I think they did some excellent stuff and were very "of their time".

For the harder fans: there are a couple of Oasis-dedicated programmes on Sky Arts tv channel later tonight. (As recently discussed on another thread, this channel has lately become more widely available).
22.00-23.15: a programme looking at "how Oasis became one of the biggest bands in the world"
23.15-00.30: "Oasis by the sea", showing a live concert from Southend from April 1995.

Ill start watching the former but Ill defo be in bed by the time the latter starts.