Who's had the Rona? (Non footy)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Who's had the Rona? (Non footy)

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:42 pm

We had the dreaded Covid (Not diagnosed but fairly sure) back in March, we were very lucky and for me and the Mrs is was not much worse than a bad cold.

Started off with sniffles, then sore throat, massive night sweats for about three nights, lack of taste/smell and lethargy, where you would feel fine but then absolutely knackered when you got up to do anything. She had it a bit worse than I did and is even now still not got back her sense of smell fully.

We didn't know at the time that we definitely had it and were never tested but given the symptoms we are pretty sure we did.

Gutted for those that lost folk.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Who's had the Rona? (Non footy)

Post by taio » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:42 pm
We had the dreaded Covid (Not diagnosed but fairly sure) back in March, we were very lucky and for me and the Mrs is was not much worse than a bad cold.

Started off with sniffles, then sore throat, massive night sweats for about three nights, lack of taste/smell and lethargy, where you would feel fine but then absolutely knackered when you got up to do anything. She had it a bit worse than I did and is even now still not got back her sense of smell fully.

We didn't know at the time that we definitely had it and were never tested but given the symptoms we are pretty sure we did.

I had it back in March too. Didn't know at the time as I only had very mild symptoms i.e. bit of a sore throat, cough and headache.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:42 pm

I think I had it in January but of course will never know - more chance of winning the Lotto than getting a test.

We normally meet up at the local Indian for the buffet, and I didn't feel right. Mainly a cough and couldn't taste food. And the Carling that I ordered just didn't taste as it should.

They should add that as a symptom - "getting ****** just isn't the same"

So yeah I'm confident this is what it was. It lasted a few days and the week after, everything was normal.
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

Myk
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Myk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:59 pm

I got it a few weeks back along with a couple of others when our manager had symptoms and had a test without letting anyone know, so he continued to come into work until his results came back positive and had to tell us all. 🤦🏽

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:01 pm

Myk wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:59 pm
I got it a few weeks back along with a couple of others when our manager had symptoms and had a test without letting anyone know, so he continued to come into work until his results came back positive and had to tell us all. 🤦🏽
And in one sentence you have summed up why we need tighter restrictions, because people are morons.
These 5 users liked this post: Caballo bobinho Zlatan DCWat Awayfromburnley

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Beginning of March for me too, pretty sure I got it of 2 mates who had to 'escape ' from a ski trip in northern Italy. Flattened me for 4 or 5 days, had blinding headaches for another couple of weeks after that. Still can't do any form of exercise beyond walking, without being utterly exhausted. Which is a bit **** considering I was competing at crossfit and indoor rowing up to that point.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:05 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:01 pm
And in one sentence you have summed up why we need tighter restrictions, because people are morons.
Not sure about this - I have no idea who I caught it off whether it was a moron or not? I agree that if you think you have it then you should go to ground and minimise the transmission risk but it's difficult if you genuinely don't know you have it.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:07 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Restrictions won't stop people who test positive not telling the truth where they have been. Yes they'll say they've been home, work, pub etc all allowed, but won't tell the trackers about the house party they attended along with 50 others.

Myk
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by Myk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:08 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Exactly that. We were all fuming when we were told by another manager. Everyone had to try and get a test which is a task in itself before being allowed back into work and the few of us who caught it had the whole 10 day isolation to deal with for good measure.

I can see where the mental health problems come from the isolating though, I didn’t see another living soul for 10 days and by the day I was allowed back into the world I felt really agitated and nervous about going back to normal. Well as normal as we can be nowadays obviously.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:09 pm

I think I had it in May but was asymptomatic.
This user liked this post: Damo

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Can I just point out, this was before we even knew what Covid was. So I didn't go out for a meal knowing I had it, I just thought it was the normal cold. But I've never had a cold before when I couldn't taste food properly.

I even asked them to change the barrel as the lager didn't taste right :D

I think it lasted about a week, maybe 10 days. I went back 2 weeks later and the food and lager seemed fine. We're going back to Janary though, maybe even December. Could it have been in the country then? Probably.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 pm

I also had it in March, but rather than a fever loss of smell/taste etc, I was shivering as if it was minus 50. Had the test done at the Turf, and then slept for 3 complete days, where as I usually sleep for around 6 hours.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Grumps - I haven't downloaded the tracker because I am scared of the outcome. We run our own business where we trade at Farmers markets etc. We take every precaution in trading as individual and as Markets.

My fear is that because of the amount of people that we come into contact with is that the tracker would render us seriously financially at risk. We have had no financial support (other than a very minimal self employed payment). If every time we came into contact with someone who possibly has the virus and had to isolate and cease trading we would be out of business in a very short space of time.

I know this for some will be an unacceptable response but is a reality for us.
Last edited by Guller Bull on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:17 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 pm
I also had it in March, but rather than a fever loss of smell/taste etc, I was shivering as if it was minus 50. Had the test done at the Turf, and then slept for 3 complete days, where as I usually sleep for around 6 hours.
I think my concern is that it was in the country long before we were informed. My memory is crap so could have been just before Christmas. Could have been around long long before we were informed.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm
Grumps - I haven't downloaded the tracker because I am scared of the outcome. We run our own business where we trade at Farmers markets etc. We take every precaution in trading as individual and as Markets.

My fear is that because of the amount of people that we come into contact with is that the tracker would render us seriously financially at risk. We have had no financial support (other than a very minimal self employed payment). If every time we came into contact with someone who possibly has the virus and had to isolate and cease trading we would be out of business in a very short space of time.

15 minutes. You need to be in touch with someone with bluetooth turned on, for 15 minutes.

It won't connect you up if you wish them a good afternoon while going for a fountain p1ss.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 pm

I was certain we had it back in February. All the C19 symptoms along with the loss of taste and smell. Really rough for about five days and very weak for nearly a month. To cut to the chase, I had an antibodies test in August and it came back negative.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:23 pm

That's good to know. Genuinely mean that - it's this kind of stuff that different people in a whole range of situations worry about.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:23 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 pm
I was certain we had it back in February. All the C19 symptoms along with the loss of taste and smell. Really rough for about five days and very weak for nearly a month. To cut to the chase, I had an antibodies test in August and it came back negative.
We don't know how long antibodies last.

You could have had it.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 pm
Billy - I know a few people in that situation who have been admitted to hospital or who have had classic symptoms that have come back negative.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:23 pm
We don't know how long antibodies last.

You could have had it.
Yes, I'm hoping this is indeed the case.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 pm
Billy - I know a few people in that situation who have been admitted to hospital or who have had classic symptoms that have come back negative.
Yeah, I've been reading up on T-cell immunity.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:29 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 pm
Yes, I'm hoping this is indeed the case.
Well not really. If you had antibodies and you've been tested, then it means the antibodies didn't last long so you're no longer immune to the virus.

We want people to be immune for at least 12 months as then a yearly vaccine will be common place.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:34 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Perfectly acceptable to me... I know you're supposed to be in contact for 20 mins, but who knows if it works correctly. I was meaning if you were contacted by human trackers, but you can also turn the app off if you go somewhere you shouldn't

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:29 pm
Well not really. If you had antibodies and you've been tested, then it means the antibodies didn't last long so you're no longer immune to the virus.

We want people to be immune for at least 12 months as then a yearly vaccine will be common place.
Apparently, you can retain some immunity through T-cells. We've so much to learn about this awful disease. We probably know next to nothing at the moment and future generation will look back at us in the same way as we today look back at the 17th-century plague 'doctors'.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:37 pm

I’ve not had it, had an antibody test the other week which was negative.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:34 pm
Perfectly acceptable to me... I know you're supposed to be in contact for 20 mins, but who knows if it works correctly. I was meaning if you were contacted by human trackers, but you can also turn the app off if you go somewhere you shouldn't
15 minutes according to the news, but... and yes there will be people who take offence, because it could cost lives.

I think it genuinely confuses people. You turn it off and you're breaking the link between someone who has it to somebody who will die. That's the bottom line.

A shop turns it off and someone with Covid goes in and spreads it to somebody who goes home and dies. Somebody else who went in, gets it and because they were never warned, goes out and spread it... and somebody dies.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:47 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm
15 minutes according to the news, but... and yes there will be people who take offence, because it could cost lives.

I think it genuinely confuses people. You turn it off and you're breaking the link between someone who has it to somebody who will die. That's the bottom line.

A shop turns it off and someone with Covid goes in and spreads it to somebody who goes home and dies. Somebody else who went in, gets it and because they were never warned, goes out and spread it... and somebody dies.
The scanner if you go in a shop or elsewhere is flawed anyway, it scans you in, but not out,so you could be contacted that you'd been somewhere where a person had Covid, but in fact you'd left an hour before they went in.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:47 pm
The scanner if you go in a shop or elsewhere is flawed anyway, it scans you in, but not out,so you could be contacted that you'd been somewhere where a person had Covid, but in fact you'd left an hour before they went in.
No mate. It's Bluetooth. It scans both ways and is realtime.

I know a bit about it as I work with someone who works with the app in Estonia.

It's not flawed at all.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Me and Mrs currently have it, day 7 for me and finally, and hopefully over the worst of it.

Fortunately the children havent caught it off us yet, they have been for tests Monday when we all went as s family, then again Frida both times negative.

Not a nice experience at all, wouldn't want anyone elderly or with health issues getting it, I got quite worried on Thursday night.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:57 pm

My fiancé is an A&E nurse and tested positive for anti-bodies in May. The only time I can think of was Easter weekend where we both felt pretty drained, very mild though in the grand scheme of things.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:01 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 pm
No mate. It's Bluetooth. It scans both ways and is realtime.

I know a bit about it as I work with someone who works with the app in Estonia.

It's not flawed at all.
Not talking about the Bluetooth. Premises can have a scannable code you scan on entry. It records your number instead of the premises keeping manual records of who is present,as certain types of business have to record all people who attend.
I know of premises who are keeping manual records for that very reason

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 pm

I had a negative antibody test back in August

I was caring for covid patients in questionable PPE every day for a couple of months. No idea how I swerved it but most people I work with haven’t had it either

I cannot remember the last time I got ill. I’ve never had flu and I’m 33. I’m hoping a just have an amazing immune system

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Inchy wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 pm
I had a negative antibody test back in August

I was caring for covid patients in questionable PPE every day for a couple of months. No idea how I swerved it but most people I work with haven’t had it either

I cannot remember the last time I got ill. I’ve never had flu and I’m 33. I’m hoping a just have an amazing immune system
Most people haven't had flu, a bad cold yes, and they say they've had flu, but they haven't. Iam over 60 and never had flu.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Sure I had it back in February, all the office were down for a couple of weeks and everyone was drained, extra things with loss of taste and smell plus coughing and a fever, our office was closed for 2 weeks as no one could get the energy to come into the office.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Nobody who hasn't had a test can say they have had it, probably dangerous to think that they have and possibly think they are now immune.

There are loads of bugs around at that time of year. Sore throat is generally not a symptom of Covid 19, but is for other Coronovirus infections.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm

My son tested positive 3 weeks ago. He had relatively mild symptoms, ill for a couple of days.
Was a concerning two weeks of isolation for us though as Mrs is in the at risk groups and has to shield.
My cousin died in early March. 100% he had it. All the classic symptoms but this was before it was a thing. He was really bad with his breathing but thought it was just a bad cold so didn’t go to hospital.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:53 pm

I know loads that have, not sure if I have myself but don’t think I have as I train every morning and most evenings so I’d imagine I’d not be able to do that. Had a cough, and felt run down but nothing that’s any different to the sort of illnesses I generally pick up at this time of year.

PeterWilton
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by PeterWilton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:54 pm

I've not had it which is good because I really don't want to wear a mask. I've not been tested either because if I get a positive test I'd have to self-isolate and I really can't be bothered to do that.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1002 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:13 pm
Most people haven't had flu, a bad cold yes, and they say they've had flu, but they haven't. Iam over 60 and never had flu.
Agreed. I'm 70 & only had flu once but many colds. I was early thirties & very fit when me and my then wife got flu simultaneously. Fortunately just before we had a family because neither of us could get out of bed for 2 days and were very weak for a good few days afterwards. Colds are annoying but nothing like as bad.
I've had flu-jabs each year since I was 65 & already had one this year. It looks like in these last few weeks, there are more deaths from flu/pneumonia than Covid 19.

As for Covid 19, I had something in April which worried me initially but didnt develop. Woke on Easter Friday with a sore throat after a disturbed night, I was waiting for the fever/coughs but it never happened. I just kept the sore throat for almost 2 weeks but no runny nose/cough/fever, no breathing problems. No idea what it was because I didnt get a test but Ive never in my life had a sore throat that didnt develop into cough/runny nose/fever etc.

I take decent precautions to minimise chances of Covid (and incidentally other) infection but there's a certain randomness about it as many other things in life. I'm sure there are people who've taken great care who get infected & people who dont take any precautions who escape. That's life.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 pm

I've had flu a few times, but only one case where it's completely knocked me on my arse.

I think a lot of people with colds mistake it for the flu, but I also think a lot of people with mild flu cases mistake it for a cold.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 pm

There were a few lads at work who were off with flu around Christmas time, and somebody's missus was put on a ventilator, the doctors didn't have a clue what was up.
Luckily for me, I haven't had as much as a cold or sniffle in god knows how long.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:16 pm

The missus is just getting over it now, tested positive last week, only a mild case luckily. Weirdly, we’ve all been isolating in the house together and assumed we’d all get it but neither me or the kids have yet, all came back with negative tests yesterday.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 pm

In the UK 7 people in every thousand have been diagnosed positive with a around 0.1 new cases per 1000 population being diagnosed each day from the 140000/220000 new tests done each day (depending on who you believe).

0.6 people per thousand have died to date.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:16 am

Grumps wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:13 pm
You can't tell. Flu can be severe or mild or even asymptomatic. (Quite common in viruses, apparently!)

https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practic ... a%20doctor.

PeterWilton

Post by PeterWilton » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:16 am
You can't tell. Flu can be severe or mild or even asymptomatic. (Quite common in viruses, apparently!)

https://www.nhs.uk/news/medical-practic ... a%20doctor.
The flu is such a cool virus. It evolves so quickly, probably in part because of our mitigations, and always finds a way to stick around for the new season. I watched a short documentary about how vaccines are made for it each year. I'll try to find it for you.

ClaretCraig
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ClaretCraig » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:36 am

Me and the Mrs both thought we'd had it back in March when we were both really rough. The Mrs works for the NHS so she's had the antibody test recently and it turns out she hasn't had it so by default I'm unlikely to have had it. So the fact is because it has so many common symptoms with other conditions you might be certain you've had it but you actually haven't.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1038 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:07 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:54 pm
And the Carling that I ordered just didn't taste as it should.
Did it taste nice? :D

I'm certain we had it in March. I've never felt aches and fatigue like it and the missus lost her smell and taste.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:42 am

Had it for a week or two just after lockdown started. Was the most ill I have ever felt. My wife was seriously thinking of calling for an ambulance on a few occasions. Put if off in the hope I got better as the hospitals were rammed at the time. Somehow managed to get through it. Was exhausted for weeks after and lethargic for months afterwards up to and including now.
Have more good days than bad lethargy wise but breathing has been more of a struggle since.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1748 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:04 am

I had flu in my college days, it totally wiped me out. I couldn’t move.

If someone rolled up a wad of money and told me I could keep it if I could just reach out of bed to pick it up, I can honestly say I wouldn’t have been able to do it it.

I can’t remember how long it lasted but since then, if someone has the sniffles and they say they’ve got the flu, they’re taking ****. I remember it being a horrible experience.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:23 am

PeterWilton wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 pm
I've had flu a few times, but only one case where it's completely knocked me on my arse.

I think a lot of people with colds mistake it for the flu, but I also think a lot of people with mild flu cases mistake it for a cold.

So that is flu and pool comps that have seen you knocked on your arse :D