Advice required: New TV & sound

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Re: Advice required: New TV & sound

Post by Firthy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:32 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am
I was in the same boat as you CT a few months ago. Ageing 10 year old Sony TV. I read all the reviews and to be quite frank it makes your head explode. Eventually settled for a Samsung Q90 QLED 55 inch. Super Smart TV and lots of apps. However is the picture better than my old Sony. To be honest I don't think so. I don't think it handles motion like the Sony and the backlight seems to flicker especially during sport. Sound is definitely better, as I bought a Sky Soundbox. With being a Sky customer I got it for £199 and for me it's an absolute bargain and it fits well under the TV stand. I did give serious consideration to the Sonos playbar as it provides excellent sound and you can add speakers as you go along. At the end of the day 'you pays your money and take your chance' but remember with the way technology is going these days, your tv will be out of date and superseded almost as soon as you've purchased it. As other's have attested Richer Sound are excellent.
As I said avoid Samsung because it's old technology. They are still developing micro Led as an alternative to OLED but it's still some way off. OLED is the only way to go and none of the current OLED TV's are bad, it's all down to personal preference which manufacturer you choose.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Firthy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:32 am
As I said avoid Samsung because it's old technology. They are still developing micro Led as an alternative to OLED but it's still some way off. OLED is the only way to go and none of the current OLED TV's are bad, it's all down to personal preference which manufacturer you choose.
They've stopped producing lcd panels and now use 3rd party ones. There panel factories are now producing what they call QD-OLED which is a an OLED using quantum dot tech.

There's nothing wrong really still buying an LCD TV but what I personally dislike about Samsung is their marketing tactics, they make it seem like QLED is a new display technology tech to OLED when in fact all it is is a way their TV's produce colour.

I'd choose an OLED TV every time but you still have to be careful with them not to watch a lot of content with static images. No different to how you had to be careful with plasma TV's.

Other thing that's dodgey with Samsung is how they play panel lottery games in Europe with some TV's of the same model line having different types of panels. In the American market they don't do the same thing so their TV's get glowing reviews when you read online but aren't the same in the UK. This only applies to their lower end models though, they're smart enough to realise they can't get away with it in Europe with the higher tier models.

Tony - feel free to send me a PM on here on AV forums, I moderate over there and each year make a best buy guide on tvs. New guide will be out before black friday which given how the tv market is tends to be the very first time to consider buying a TV released the same year.
Last edited by superdimitri on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:11 pm
I'd choose an OLED TV every time but you still have to be careful with them not to watch a lot of content with static images. No different to how you had to be careful with plasma TV's.
I've had a plasma for over 11 years now, it's had SSN on so much but I've not had any problem.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm
I've had a plasma for over 11 years now, it's had SSN on so much but I've not had any problem.
Either you're lucky or your usage of SSN isn't as much as others. Either way if you want to watch SSN still I'd stay clear of OLED in it's present state unless you buy one from John Lewis with extra insurance. The warranty does not cover it in the UK and John Lewis are the only retailer that sell insurance that covers it.

Otherwise LCD tvs aren't bad by any means and there's still some good TV's about. You don't have to feel like you're missing out by getting one. My username on AVF is Dodgexander if you want to talk over there. AV forums not AVsForum. Happy to help.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:01 am

superdimitri wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm
Either you're lucky or your usage of SSN isn't as much as others. Either way if you want to watch SSN still I'd stay clear of OLED in it's present state unless you buy one from John Lewis with extra insurance. The warranty does not cover it in the UK and John Lewis are the only retailer that sell insurance that covers it.

Otherwise LCD tvs aren't bad by any means and there's still some good TV's about. You don't have to feel like you're missing out by getting one. My username on AVF is Dodgexander if you want to talk over there. AV forums not AVsForum. Happy to help.
So basically OLED, which is now considered the best, is of no use if you watch certain television channels. I've just read through this thread again and I think I'm more confused than I was before.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:01 am
So basically OLED, which is now considered the best, is of no use if you watch certain television channels. I've just read through this thread again and I think I'm more confused than I was before.
Haha - me too !

I’ve got a house full of Samsung LED TVs - including a curved one which though looks very nice I can see why now it was a bit of a pointless fad.

The problem is that whatever you are told is the great new best state of the art TV now by people and the retail outlets we all know in 6 months they will have come along with something else better - so personally I find the best thing to do is buy a the TV that was the “last” big thing because these tend to be the best price reductions.

My requirements are a smart tv between 50 and 55 inches and I go with Samsung because the picture quality to me has always been fine. I’m ok with going to Curry’s but have also paid a bit of a premium buying from the likes of John Lewis as there service is second to none and they often offer great guarantees

There’s also the point that if you do get one and then and when you try it out it doesn’t meet your expectations you would normally get a couple of weeks at least where you can return it and be refunded....I did that recently with a Sharp TV they managed to persuade me was just as good as Samsung - it wasn’t so it went back and I went to a different store and got a Samsung !

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am

Definitely good advice regarding John Lewis - they will price match too, and the warranties are good.

I personally have a Sony Bravia 55” KD55XF8796 (2018) model and it’s fantastic for everything. My only gripe is that there’s an issue with using Freesat with the Freeview App - it won’t work with both, but I have Sky Q so don’t worry about it at all. The sound quality is also good from just the TV - I also have a Sony soundbar but only adds depth to the low frequency from the sub

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am

Same here, and was sold on Oled thanks to advice from this board greatly appreciated, but now I have also stumbled across Nanocell???

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:28 am

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am
Definitely good advice regarding John Lewis - they will price match too, and the warranties are good.

I personally have a Sony Bravia 55” KD55XF8796 (2018) model and it’s fantastic for everything. My only gripe is that there’s an issue with using Freesat with the Freeview App - it won’t work with both, but I have Sky Q so don’t worry about it at all. The sound quality is also good from just the TV - I also have a Sony soundbar but only adds depth to the low frequency from the sub
Freesat as got a dedicated Freesat app, not freeview, 2 seperate things.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:28 am
Freesat as got a dedicated Freesat app, not freeview, 2 seperate things.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/help
Yes, I know but I don’t think I explained it properly. My TV can receive freeview and Freesat, however the app to use the Freesat EPG means that it disables the freeview EPG and vice versa - something to do with the licence that Sony refuses to support.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:25 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am
I was in the same boat as you CT a few months ago. Ageing 10 year old Sony TV. I read all the reviews and to be quite frank it makes your head explode. Eventually settled for a Samsung Q90 QLED 55 inch. Super Smart TV and lots of apps. However is the picture better than my old Sony. To be honest I don't think so. I don't think it handles motion like the Sony and the backlight seems to flicker especially during sport. Sound is definitely better, as I bought a Sky Soundbox. With being a Sky customer I got it for £199 and for me it's an absolute bargain and it fits well under the TV stand. I did give serious consideration to the Sonos playbar as it provides excellent sound and you can add speakers as you go along. At the end of the day 'you pays your money and take your chance' but remember with the way technology is going these days, your tv will be out of date and superseded almost as soon as you've purchased it. As other's have attested Richer Sound are excellent.
The Sky Soundbars are down another £10 now, looked at that this morning, which is a lot cheaper than the Sonos I was looking at. Having said that, with a Sonos soundbar I'd be able to use the two Sonos One speakers to make it surround.

The name 'Richer Sounds' is a constant theme on this thread and therefore one not to be overlooked. I have been put in contact with someone from Richer Sounds so will obviously discuss with him.

As for it being out of date quickly - I remember when I bought my first home computer and my boss at work was well informed so I sought advice. One thing he said I can still remember, that once I'd decided what I wanted I should never look back because once it had arrived and was working it would have gone down in price because something new had appeared on the market. I'm still using that 20 years plus keyboard although everything else has gone.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 am
Yes, I know but I don’t think I explained it properly. My TV can receive freeview and Freesat, however the app to use the Freesat EPG means that it disables the freeview EPG and vice versa - something to do with the licence that Sony refuses to support.
Ok I understand now, it's seems a odd setup as Freesat as everything & more than Freeview currently offers, on Freeview where I currently live my nearest transmitter (Skipton) would pick about 15 channels up, using Freesat would make Freeview defunct I just find it strange how anybody would want to use both mainly Freeview.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:27 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:11 pm
They've stopped producing lcd panels and now use 3rd party ones. There panel factories are now producing what they call QD-OLED which is a an OLED using quantum dot tech.

There's nothing wrong really still buying an LCD TV but what I personally dislike about Samsung is their marketing tactics, they make it seem like QLED is a new display technology tech to OLED when in fact all it is is a way their TV's produce colour.

Other thing that's dodgey with Samsung is how they play panel lottery games in Europe with some TV's of the same model line having different types of panels. In the American market they don't do the same thing so their TV's get glowing reviews when you read online but aren't the same in the UK. This only applies to their lower end models though, they're smart enough to realise they can't get away with it in Europe with the higher tier models.

Tony - feel free to send me a PM on here on AV forums, I moderate over there and each year make a best buy guide on tvs. New guide will be out before black friday which given how the tv market is tends to be the very first time to consider buying a TV released the same year.
You’re dodgexander then I take it?

Good to know, I really like reading your stuff on AV Forums.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:27 pm

You’re dodgexander then I take it?

Good to know, I really like reading your stuff on AV Forums.
Certainly am kind sir. And thanks. I hope Tony gets good advice from Richer! Are you a member too?
ClaretAL wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am
Same here, and was sold on Oled thanks to advice from this board greatly appreciated, but now I have also stumbled across Nanocell???
You'll be stumbling for some time if you read into the marketing. Things like Nanocell and QLED mean nothing of importance. They are marketing buzz words for manufacturers to trick you into thinking you're buying something special.

There's just two display techs today. LCD and OLED. Any other term is best ignored, just go for the tech that suits you the best and take your choice from there. Don't get lost in marketing.

Interesting thing about TV's is most specs that actually matter when buying aren't even publicly made available by manufacturers or shops. You have to rely on reviews to know the TV has what you need.

Worse thing in my opinion is the sheer amount of LCD tvs sold as hdr models when they aren't really hdr.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 am

Great advise mate. I think for me the HDMI 2.1 and 120hz eARC are the important parts as have the new xbox ordered and want to make the best of it for media also. As you know thanks to your advice I a all set up with Atmos, but I have found out that my Denon AVR has an issue with 120hz pass through 2.1, apparently a "bug" so I would need to go direct from the Xbox to the tV and back from the TV with eARC for the Atmos, just means an extra HDMI to the tv.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:07 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:25 am
The Sky Soundbars are down another £10 now, looked at that this morning, which is a lot cheaper than the Sonos I was looking at. Having said that, with a Sonos soundbar I'd be able to use the two Sonos One speakers to make it surround.

The name 'Richer Sounds' is a constant theme on this thread and therefore one not to be overlooked. I have been put in contact with someone from Richer Sounds so will obviously discuss with him.

As for it being out of date quickly - I remember when I bought my first home computer and my boss at work was well informed so I sought advice. One thing he said I can still remember, that once I'd decided what I wanted I should never look back because once it had arrived and was working it would have gone down in price because something new had appeared on the market. I'm still using that 20 years plus keyboard although everything else has gone.
I auditioned both the Sonos Playbar and it's cheaper stable mate the Beam. Both excellent and I very nearly purchased the Beam. Given your situation it seems a no brainer, as you've already got the surround sound sorted. I'd never considered the Sky Soundbar up until then. However I was talking to a colleague who'd recently purchased one and she spoke highly of it. So I read up on it and took a punt. It fills the room when on loud but I personally think the Sonos has a more Spacious sound and is more engaging, However it should as it's more expensive and I auditioned in a hi fi lounge, not my home so the aesthetics would differ to a degree.

Back to the TV. The reason I settled on a QLED instead of OLED was purely down to the disturbing articles I'd read about 'Burn-in' on OLED tv's. Some very mixed and divided opinions on the subject but nevertheless it put me off and I decided not to chance it.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:26 am
Great advise mate. I think for me the HDMI 2.1 and 120hz eARC are the important parts as have the new xbox ordered and want to make the best of it for media also. As you know thanks to your advice I a all set up with Atmos, but I have found out that my Denon AVR has an issue with 120hz pass through 2.1, apparently a "bug" so I would need to go direct from the Xbox to the tV and back from the TV with eARC for the Atmos, just means an extra HDMI to the tv.
Depends on the source whether you need HDMI 2.1 eARC for atmos pass through. Sources like Blu-Ray, UHD Blu-Ray use hd atmos and need eARC.
Streaming services however can work with standard ARC with atmos.
With games it depends on the game. The new standard should mean you'll get better audio with eARC but not every game will support it.
ashtonlongsider wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:07 am

I auditioned both the Sonos Playbar and it's cheaper stable mate the Beam. Both excellent and I very nearly purchased the Beam. Given your situation it seems a no brainer, as you've already got the surround sound sorted. I'd never considered the Sky Soundbar up until then. However I was talking to a colleague who'd recently purchased one and she spoke highly of it. So I read up on it and took a punt. It fills the room when on loud but I personally think the Sonos has a more Spacious sound and is more engaging, However it should as it's more expensive and I auditioned in a hi fi lounge, not my home so the aesthetics would differ to a degree.

Back to the TV. The reason I settled on a QLED instead of OLED was purely down to the disturbing articles I'd read about 'Burn-in' on OLED tv's. Some very mixed and divided opinions on the subject but nevertheless it put me off and I decided not to chance it.
QLED is just the model line of your TV. It's still an LCD TV. It's not a new display technology like OLED. Nothing wrong with your TV or choice but don't fall for what in effect is just marketing.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:14 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 am
Certainly am kind sir. And thanks. I hope Tony gets good advice from Richer! Are you a member too?

You'll be stumbling for some time if you read into the marketing. Things like Nanocell and QLED mean nothing of importance. They are marketing buzz words for manufacturers to trick you into thinking you're buying something special.

There's just two display techs today. LCD and OLED. Any other term is best ignored, just go for the tech that suits you the best and take your choice from there. Don't get lost in marketing.

Interesting thing about TV's is most specs that actually matter when buying aren't even publicly made available by manufacturers or shops. You have to rely on reviews to know the TV has what you need.

Worse thing in my opinion is the sheer amount of LCD tvs sold as hdr models when they aren't really hdr.
I am indeed a long-time member but use my real name on there (might need to change it to BurnleyFC!)

It’s a small world. Please keep up the good work with your excellent write ups and guides. They are much appreciated and help many a people.
This user liked this post: superdimitri

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am

Hey guys, still debating and the Oled LG cx model ticking all the boxes, however I know this is LCD but this is £1k cheaper and also seems to tick all the afore mentioned boxes. The LG 86 I'm looking at. However I can't find any reviews on it so wondered what you guys think.

https://www.lg.com/uk/lgnanocell_m/sub/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

The Oled below is what I have been looking at

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Both LG and Samsung can suffer from white lights on screen, see link.
It is possible to fix this yourself, how to....on youtube, if you have the confidence.
My neighbour got stuck in UK with a broken ankle for 2 months. When he got home this had happened to his LG.
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/300 ... TV+display

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:23 am
There is a brilliant chap in Burnley called David who has a business called Connect Your Stuff (just Google that)..He was recommended to me on here by the poster Guitar George 4 years ago when I was asking similar questions to you. I was kitting out the house Id just bought in Barrowford at the time. He came out, discussed what I wanted, made recommendations for TVs and soundbars and oversaw the whole ordering and installation of these. I ended up with Panasonic TVs and Sonos Playbar soundbars and they have been fantastic. I'd give him a call.
Tony, I think this is the best advice.

TVs and sound systems are so complex these days that it would surely be good to find someone you can trust to guide you through and provide back up when things go wrong or you are not sure.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:30 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 am
Hey guys, still debating and the Oled LG cx model ticking all the boxes, however I know this is LCD but this is £1k cheaper and also seems to tick all the afore mentioned boxes. The LG 86 I'm looking at. However I can't find any reviews on it so wondered what you guys think.

https://www.lg.com/uk/lgnanocell_m/sub/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

The Oled below is what I have been looking at

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv
Two very different TVs. You can't really compare them. The LCD will likely be fine if you watch TV usually with the lights on or during the day as long as you aren't intending to watch HDR content.

In my opinion there are generally much better LCD TVs than LGs. Their LCD TVs are generally far behind the competition unless you're budget is pretty low. By comparison their OLEDs are very good TVs that are class leaders in most areas.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am

I recently bought the LG OLED65CX with Sky Q and a LG SN11RG sound bar (comes with sub and 2 wireless rears). I had 8k HDMI 2.1 cable build into the wall so I’m connecting them using that. Both Sky and Soundbar going into the TV.

So far I’m very pleased. TV quality is great. Sound on eARC is quite subtle (ARC is a bit more “in your face”) so I get the surround effect but don’t feel the room is shaking (good with a little one sleeping upstairs).

My only little wrinkles to iron out are a bit of a blurring on the golf ball for the Masters last weekend (compared to my old Samsung UE40F6800). Can’t quite find the setting to stop it. I also have an audio timing sync issue, which surprised me with the Tv and sound bar being closely related. It’s proving a little fiddly to stop that too because the delay changes depending on what I am watching.

So, I think I am recommending it (my reason for posting) but I’ll see in 2 months time. The other reason (ahead of Black Friday) was to say that I got mine at Richer Sounds and the soundbar was 30% off due to buying the TV and they do a very good warranty on the TV.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. Unfortunately, it all left me even more confused than I was to start with. I was hoping to speak to someone who could give me advice but that didn't happen so, for now, I've had to shelve the plan to buy a new TV.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:38 pm
Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. Unfortunately, it all left me even more confused than I was to start with. I was hoping to speak to someone who could give me advice but that didn't happen so, for now, I've had to shelve the plan to buy a new TV.
All TVs are good. Use your own experience with buying in the past. Brands you like, size, then what you want it to have eg Smart TV etc.

These threads are like iPhone vs Samsung. Those with iPhones will say iPhones are the best and so on.

I’ll be having a look tonight myself I think.

Choose your price range, size and so on and then narrow your choices down from there.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:40 am

There must be about 10 people in this thread alone recommending the CX.
If you want a no fuss recommendation, there you go, but sadly buying a TV has become a lot more complicated than it used to be.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:30 am

I used to just go to Costco and see which picture I liked the best. The problem with asking on a public forum for advice is that only the people who are really interested will answer and getting their experience across in a few lines is hard. However it seems the cx is the way to go, but that it is still £1500 quid, ouch, and you’ll get screen burn!

I’ll be off to Costco then.....

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:37 am

At the end of the day, whichever TV you get, it's still Ant & Dec......but now lifesize on a 55" screen.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:15 am

Dyched wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:24 pm
All TVs are good. Use your own experience with buying in the past. Brands you like, size, then what you want it to have eg Smart TV etc.

These threads are like iPhone vs Samsung. Those with iPhones will say iPhones are the best and so on.

I’ll be having a look tonight myself I think.

Choose your price range, size and so on and then narrow your choices down from there.
I dont think I've had a modern flat screen tv die on me yet. Always passed mine on when someones passed theres on to me. Currently have a large 10 years old Samsung TV given to me with a chrome swivel to face any part of the room for viewing with an all glass screen. placed on a black glass tv cabinet. The best TV I've had....made before it's time..a quality piece of kit!!!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:51 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:37 am
At the end of the day, whichever TV you get, it's still Ant & Dec......but now lifesize on a 55" screen.
🤣🤣🤣

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:33 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:40 am
There must be about 10 people in this thread alone recommending the CX.
If you want a no fuss recommendation, there you go, but sadly buying a TV has become a lot more complicated than it used to be.
I just got bamboozled by it all to be honest. What some were recommending, others were saying not to touch and so it continued. At one point it became OLED v no OLED - it became SAMSUNG v no SAMSUNG and for someone with an 11 year old TV I just got totally confused and realised I probably shouldn't have asked on here for something for which there are so many options. I did ask on here because 11 years ago it worked perfectly with benbfc leading me to the Panasonic I currently have.

I think I need to sit and discuss it with someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who won't be pushing me into one thing or the other, one manufacturer or the other. I realised trying to get advice on here for something like this was just making it more difficult.

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:23 pm

I have to say I've not been impressed with the Black Friday offers I've seen online. I wonder if all of this Black Friday week/month has just diluted it? I've been monitoring prices for the Sony 65XH9096 and the prices are absolutely no different to what they were several weeks ago. I can say the same for a couple of other TVs I was keeping an eye on as backup options. Not going to bother in the end and will simply wait until early next year.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Get a decent model of Panasonic, Sony or LG. You won’t go far wrong.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:33 am
I just got bamboozled by it all to be honest. What some were recommending, others were saying not to touch and so it continued. At one point it became OLED v no OLED - it became SAMSUNG v no SAMSUNG and for someone with an 11 year old TV I just got totally confused and realised I probably shouldn't have asked on here for something for which there are so many options. I did ask on here because 11 years ago it worked perfectly with benbfc leading me to the Panasonic I currently have.

I think I need to sit and discuss it with someone who knows what they are talking about and someone who won't be pushing me into one thing or the other, one manufacturer or the other. I realised trying to get advice on here for something like this was just making it more difficult.

Speaking to Richer Sounds is the best advice you will get

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:33 am

Part of the problem Tony is there's no one best TV for everyone. You can't really get a quickfire recommendation and if you do get one it won't be from someone who knows what they're talking about.
Each year since 2015 I've made best buy guides over on AV forums to try and help steer people in the right direction.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my ... n.2325951/

It's a common theme the people get overwhelmed and confused but to make a good decision it does take a little background reading on panel types and HDR. I tried my best to simplify in the guide.

I'm always willing to help and if the guide doesn't help feel free to send me a message.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:27 pm

williamjblazkowicz wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:23 pm
I have to say I've not been impressed with the Black Friday offers I've seen online. I wonder if all of this Black Friday week/month has just diluted it? I've been monitoring prices for the Sony 65XH9096 and the prices are absolutely no different to what they were several weeks ago. I can say the same for a couple of other TVs I was keeping an eye on as backup options. Not going to bother in the end and will simply wait until early next year.
The stuff I've seen is heavily discounted, it's always the case though when you want something specific & waiting for a price drop it doesn't or if it does it takes an eternity, the sony model you are eyeing is probably a hot seller & the demand isn't low to warrant the necessity for it to shift, depends on what you are after & compromises need to be made in order to get a bargain.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Tony, I understand how you are feeling. A couple of years ago we made the change to a new TV (a Sony Bravia) without any bells and whistles. so that's my level. For us, Andy at Garlick's was superb from meeting him in the shop, no hard sell, and then installing it. Can't promise it will be the same for you. May not be the cheapest but as a technophobe I got peace of mind.

I am not sure whether supply problems due to Covid have continued and might lead to someone trying to sell what is in stock rather than what you really want.

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:12 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:27 pm
The stuff I've seen is heavily discounted, it's always the case though when you want something specific & waiting for a price drop it doesn't or if it does it takes an eternity, the sony model you are eyeing is probably a hot seller & the demand isn't low to warrant the necessity for it to shift, depends on what you are after & compromises need to be made in order to get a bargain.
Good point although I did have a few models I was watching and none were heavily reduced. I thought Amazon's sales were awful. I'm not sure if it's me being paranoid but I feel like they put prices up before Black Friday and then lower them back to original pricing albeit with a Black Friday discount tag on it. Certainly didn't seem to be many good offers to me. However, I'm not based in the UK so our experiences may differ for that reason too.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm

Thought I’d add a request for some help on this thread.

Now that I’m at home every night of the week and have been shifted to the other room when football is on I wanted to update the LG TV.

I’m toying with the idea of one of the Framed TV’s that turns into a mirror, 2nd option would be one that looks like a picture.

Must haves included being able to watch prime, Netflix and now tv. Great if I can lose the amazon fire stick. 50inch would be about the maximum.

It’s not the main TV so I don’t really want to spend more than £1200.

Anyone got any advice or recommendations?
Thanks

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:10 am

The frame models by Samsung are basically their mid range TVs in a stylish guise. You about 50% more than you'd pay for the same TV without the frame.

Are they good enough for most people? Probably.

Would I recommend one? Not at all. Awful value for money and a terrible option in this day and age when for most people, the quality gains they'll get with a new TV is with HDR and HDR just doesn't cut it on these models.

Forget the niche features and buy on merit alone. You don't buy a TV for it to become a piece of furniture, you buy it to look good when you use it.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 DCWat

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:10 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm
Thought I’d add a request for some help on this thread.

Now that I’m at home every night of the week and have been shifted to the other room when football is on I wanted to update the LG TV.

I’m toying with the idea of one of the Framed TV’s that turns into a mirror, 2nd option would be one that looks like a picture.

Must haves included being able to watch prime, Netflix and now tv. Great if I can lose the amazon fire stick. 50inch would be about the maximum.

It’s not the main TV so I don’t really want to spend more than £1200.

Anyone got any advice or recommendations?
Thanks
We got a 55” Philips ambilight for just under £500 over a year ago and it has been brilliant. Sets up nicely if you ever need it for a party with the ambilight doubling as disco lights :D
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 am

I'm back looking and have spoken to someone at Richer Sounds
These 2 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Burnleyareback2

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:22 am

In my vast experience a telly is a telly is a telly. You can over think things.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 am

Tony I'm repeating my earlier advice to consult with this chap who is Burnley based . Can't speak highly enough about the advice and installation help he gave me...we procured all the kit he recommended for me from Richer Sounds

http://www.connectyourstuff.co.uk

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 am

bfccrazy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:10 am
We got a 55” Philips ambilight for just under £500 over a year ago and it has been brilliant. Sets up nicely if you ever need it for a party with the ambilight doubling as disco lights :D
Are you into disco ClaretTony? :lol:

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 am
I'm back looking and have spoken to someone at Richer Sounds
In that case take a look at this. Superb TV and great price. Obviously depends on your budget and what screen size you want.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-project ... z980b.html

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Firthy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm
In that case take a look at this. Superb TV and great price. Obviously depends on your budget and what screen size you want.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-project ... z980b.html
You won't believe this but that is one of the recommendations I'm looking at and the most likely choice right now although I've also looked at the other screen sizes.

Current set is Panasonic. Is this what you have?

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 pm
You won't believe this but that is one of the recommendations I'm looking at and the most likely choice right now although I've also looked at the other screen sizes.

Current set is Panasonic. Is this what you have?
I have the previous model 55" OLED Panasonic and love it. Yours would be newer and an upgrade on mine so I can definitely recommend it.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 pm

dushanbe wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:22 am
In my vast experience a telly is a telly is a telly. You can over think things.
I get that, but it’s for the Snug, small room and generally low attendance- just hoped for something that could blend in a bit when not being used.

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 am

Tony, I hope you're going to let us all know which TV you end up with and what you think of it. The wait is agonising :shock: :lol: