ARTICLE: A draw at Millwall despite blind as a bat referee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: A draw at Millwall despite blind as a bat referee

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Back to 1972 as the unbeaten Clarets earn a point at The Den

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/a-draw-at- ... at-referee

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Re: ARTICLE: A draw at Millwall despite blind as a bat referee

Post by jtv » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:38 pm

As I was staying in London at the time, it was a follow up to my first match at Fulham. I had convinced a colleague of mine who was up from Malta to come with me. Imagine my surprise when he turned up in white shirt, tie and full suit!!!!! He didn't have time to go back to his hotel to change so off we went. The looks we got that day from the Millwall supporters!!!!!

I remember a very small ground with the touch line very close to the stand we were in. We were in one of the front rows and could have grabbed the ball off a player's hands during throw-ins. I also remember a stocky well built guy next to us who apparently had an inherent dislike for the Docherty family. Every time Mick Docherty touched the ball this guy shouted "Animole, animole jis like yer ole dad". We did not dare call his side's players animoles as, as Tony said, they were very physical, to put it mildly.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:57 pm

jtv wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:38 pm
As I was staying in London at the time, it was a follow up to my first match at Fulham. I had convinced a colleague of mine who was up from Malta to come with me. Imagine my surprise when he turned up in white shirt, tie and full suit!!!!! He didn't have time to go back to his hotel to change so off we went. The looks we got that day from the Millwall supporters!!!!!

I remember a very small ground with the touch line very close to the stand we were in. We were in one of the front rows and could have grabbed the ball off a player's hands during throw-ins. I also remember a stocky well built guy next to us who apparently had an inherent dislike for the Docherty family. Every time Mick Docherty touched the ball this guy shouted "Animole, animole jis like yer ole dad". We did not dare call his side's players animoles as, as Tony said, they were very physical, to put it mildly.
They were a rough side to play against but it was fitting for the ground they played in at the time. Even the address of Cold Blow Lane fit.
This user liked this post: jtv

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:07 pm

I just had to travel from South West London for this one and arrived in plenty of time; too much time in truth because that part of London wasn't one you needed to be in with time on your hands.
Anyway, I managed a quiet pint and then got myself on what I would describe their equivalent of our Longside though with very little cover from inclement weather. Sometimes you feel safe on your own but this wasn't one of them. It's no fun watching your team whilst at the same time watching your own behaviour. I think the messages I'd been given from fellow students about the 'atmosphere' at The Den were fairly accurate. They weren't a good side but they were good at 'spoiling tactics' and along with a breezy afternoon and dry, bobbly pitch I was more than happy with a point.
The adventure wasn't quite over for me yet, though. I had to negotiate a train ticket to Waterloo, surrounded by aggressive fans of theirs without them.detecting my obvious northern accent. Three times I tried to whisper 'Waterloo please' to the ticket girl who thankfully sensed my distress and herself said 'Waterloo'? to which I somewhat pathetically nodded.
When I met up with friends that night in the bar they couldn't understand why I was so happy with a point at Millwall. 'A point and back in one piece is enough for anyone to get giddy about', I replied. 48 years now and never been back.or even tempted. :(
This user liked this post: Frenchclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:12 pm

I think this was my first trip to Cold Blow Lane.
I ended up in the Millwall Longside! During the match, the Millwall fans where I stood treated me as an innocent and we had some good banter. I felt safe! Their love for Harry Cripps was total. He was Millwall.

Exiting, I was set upon by a group of young lads, who wanted my Burnley scarf as a trophy. A few kicks and me hanging onto my tugged scarf (my mum bought it for me) then some adults decided to take action on my behalf. They shouted at the lads, who stopped. Then a car was edging through the crowd. Driver shouted to me, "Get in". The others told me that would be the safe thing to do. Driver asked where I was heading - tube?
Took me there.

So despite the really hard image being very real, as far as I was concerned then, the real fans were great.

Cold Blow Lane was just that!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:12 pm
I think this was my first trip to Cold Blow Lane.
I ended up in the Millwall Longside! During the match, the Millwall fans where I stood treated me as an innocent and we had some good banter. I felt safe! Their love for Harry Cripps was total. He was Millwall.

Exiting, I was set upon by a group of young lads, who wanted my Burnley scarf as a trophy. A few kicks and me hanging onto my tugged scarf (my mum bought it for me) then some adults decided to take action on my behalf. They shouted at the lads, who stopped. Then a car was edging through the crowd. Driver shouted to me, "Get in". The others told me that would be the safe thing to do. Driver asked where I was heading - tube?
Took me there.

So despite the really hard image being very real, as far as I was concerned then, the real fans were great.

Cold Blow Lane was just that!
There are genuine, decent fans at every club. There are also dicks at every club.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:05 pm

Was this the game where Colin Waldron made a big clearance and it hit the edge of the roof of a stand breaking a piece (of gutter?) off?

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 1300 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Some of names keep cropping up in these articles ring a few bells. Derek Possee and of course Eamon Dunphy in this instance. Not sure why for Possee but Dumphy has since made a career in the Irish media.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:15 pm
Some of names keep cropping up in these articles ring a few bells. Derek Possee and of course Eamon Dunphy in this instance. Not sure why for Possee but Dumphy has since made a career in the Irish media.
I think you would need a long list too to name all those he's upset while working in the media. Wasn't it Dunphy who once made a name for himself on a Millwall team photo?