Tarkowski interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Tarkowski interview

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 pm

I don't see a single thing wrong with what he said - it's called ambition, too many people lack it
These 5 users liked this post: Sproggy Zlatan DAVETHEVICAR Ashingtonclaret46 DomBFC1882

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Is the last comment a pop at Gomez, who has today been injured in England training?

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:45 pm

No issues with Tarky.

He’s given his all to the cause for a number of years.

But at some point, and it would appear we’re quickly coming to that point, where even the grafters have had enough of grafting.

Where’s the incentive for players like Tarkowski?

The last 2/3/4 transfer windows have shown that this isn’t a progressive club.

Edit- our complete and utter failure to strengthen this window, or do any business that indicates some sort of coherent strategy, has done irreparable damage.
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Enola Gay

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Clear that he was in the Dyche/Garlick battle ground during the last window. It's blatantly obvious that Southgate has decided he wants him playing elsewhere if he's going to select him for England, I remain mystified there can be any sensible reason for him not getting in during last season when he was in such outstanding form. If he does his best for us for the rest of the time he's here, then he will certainly leave with my blessing.
These 5 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Danieljwaterhouse Stalbansclaret TsarBomba DomBFC1882

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:55 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:27 pm
He definitely doesn’t need to sign a new deal with us, players come and go that’s football, I just found his comments poor and the timing even worse
Yeah, I agree the interview is unnecessary. It's not like other clubs won't know his contact situation. I'm sure his agent is already talking to people anyway.

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Let me guess? Are you a anti vaxxer to?
Not at all. But there is more money to be made in advertising with the 'bigger clubs'

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Must be difficult for someone who works hard on the pitch and gives his all for the Club to know there are players out there like Carroll, Drinkwater, Wilshere who do little to nothing and get paid possibly twice as much because of where they are/were employed.

Football finance at this level is beyond Burnley and has been ever since promotion, even this supposed takeover will likely see us still at the bottom of the pile unable to compete with the wages DEMANDED by players.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:54 pm
Clear that he was in the Dyche/Garlick battle ground during the last window. It's blatantly obvious that Southgate has decided he wants him playing elsewhere if he's going to select him for England, I remain mystified there can be any sensible reason for him not getting in during last season when he was in such outstanding form. If he does his best for us for the rest of the time he's here, then he will certainly leave with my blessing.
You are seriously suggesting that Southgate is not picking him for England just because he plays for Burnley ?

Unbelievable :roll:

Terrier
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Somehow doubt tarks is the only one with moving on their mind that are employed at burnley!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:17 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 pm
You live in fantasy land

He has just said to national press “There is nothing I have heard or has been put to me that makes me think there is a scenario in which I would sign a new contract at Burnley”
“In terms of playing, nothing changes,” said Tarkowski. “My desire to want to be at my best for me and for the team never changes. I’ve got relationships at Burnley that I will want to keep for the rest of my life, so for me to just down tools and say, ‘this is it’, it wouldn’t be right and I wouldn’t want to. I want to perform for Burnley, they have given me a great opportunity to play in the Premier League, something which I’ve loved over the last four years.

Drama queen
These 2 users liked this post: jojomk1 Local cricketer

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:14 pm
I can’t understand how any fan would want a player that just told the national press he doesn’t want to be at the club in the team.

Because in the back of his mind he knows if he gets a serious injury his dream of moving to a so called champions league squad will disappear
Why do you think a lot of fans still want him in to play ?
Even an unhappy Tarks who is committed to leaving is a lot better than Long or Dunne - and that’s nothing against those 2 players but it’s not even close.
Whether he has getting injured in the back of his mind or not he would still be a far better option. It’s a debatable point anyway as if you play football how Tarks plays and in his position and try and hold back in challenges etc you are just as likely to get injured.

I don’t know why the club would turn down £35m given this situation but as usually the case with all this stuff we might not be party to all the detail and it’s easy to make incorrect assumptions about any offers or the situation internally....but on the face of things it’s hard to understand why we turned down big offers in the situation we seem to be in.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:54 pm
Can't disagree with any of that, been fantastic for us and as he alludes to....he has all the power now.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Maybe we turned down offers because we had little or no confidence in getting a suitable replacement in

But don't worry - Newcastleclaret93 has full faith in Long or Dunne being more than capable

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:24 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm
You are seriously suggesting that Southgate is not picking him for England just because he plays for Burnley ?

No, I think the player said that himself in the interview, all CT has done is give his opinion on it, which I agree with.

When Tarkowski leaves us it is with my blessing, as he has been a man mountain in the centre of our defence for some years now - he is ambitious and I cant fault him for wanting to play at the highest level.

We have time to get the right deal for him in January, and unless we can bring in a suitable replacement we shouldn't fear too much with Jimmy Dunne as a longer term replacement, and Thompson (is that right?) also showing great promise. Either alongside captain fantastic will be good.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:25 pm

jojomk1 wrote:

I think it may be more because of how we play as opposed to it being because it is Burnley.

Our style is very different than it would be with some other clubs and it perhaps makes it more difficult to see how a player might fit into the national side.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:28 pm

I feel a bit for Tarks. Since he's been at Burnley he's seen players like Gray and Keane earn an upward move and how the club has basically let them move on as soon as interest materialised. All of a sudden he does the same (and is a much better player than either for my money) and yet two summers on the bounce the club haven't budged on offers for him. Can imagine him seeing Leicester sat at the top of the league thinking that could be him and instead he's stuck in what feels like a pretty negative situation at Burnley one point off the bottom. Add into that Southgate's seeming decision that the way Burnley defend is a reason not to pick players for his squad and it's quite a tough situation to be in.

The interview is unfortunate and poorly-timed but it is what it is. It doesn't change much other than letting us fans know where his head is at but for me, unless it starts to show on the field I don't think it's too much of an issue. Casts even more doubt on the toe injury but I'll never know the truth behind that so can't let myself worry about it.

I just pray to God we don't sell him until we've lined up a proper replacement.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:33 pm

For me, a player is picked on his own merits and playing for Burnley certainly doesn't seem to have done Pope any harm

In the same way, good performances by Tarks when up against top teams (for little Burnley) should give him good publicity not negative

In the interview it was suggested that JT thought it was a stumbling block but he wasn't quoted exactly as saying that

Unlike CT who sees it as "blatantly obvious"

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm

jojomk1 wrote:

I do - I think he's opted not to select him because he plays for a team that doesn't defend in the way he wants England to defend. So yes, you might find it unbelievable but I don't and I suspect Tarky doesn't either.
These 4 users liked this post: Vino blanco Zlatan cockneyclaret Stalbansclaret

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:38 pm

I’m amazed anyone is surprised by this , based on his departure from Brentford and the offers from both West Ham and Leicester.
It also obviously he’ll be gone in January with his replacement already lined up , Phil Jones . :o

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Very bad timing but nothing surprises me any more with what is happening at our club. Looks like he will be going in January.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:48 pm

How ungrateful,Burnley FC turned him into an England international.....get shut of him in January.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm
I do - I think he's opted not to select him because he plays for a team that doesn't defend in the way he wants England to defend. So yes, you might find it unbelievable but I don't and I suspect Tarky doesn't either.
Surely Pope wouldn’t be picked if this was the case , Tarkowskis age and previous performance has had more influence on Southgate imo

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Like I said previously this interview has cost the club millions in potential transfer fees

I Carnt believe people think he was right in doing it, whether or not you agree with its sentiments, the future possible transfer dealings of burnley football club should not have been printed all over a national newspaper

I do wonder if he'd been as willing to air his views had fans been allowed into games, at the moment he isn't going to get any stick from the fans

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
That’s correct.

Thing is most on here can’t understand he doesn't get picked because he plays for Burnley but because the way we play.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:49 pm
Surely Pope wouldn’t be picked if this was the case , Tarkowskis age and previous performance has had more influence on Southgate imo
I'm not sure I can connect the way a goalkeeper plays directly to a central defender but if it is a case of playing out from the back it explains why Pope is getting the odd game and Pickford plays in all the competitive games.

It holds no water with me because Southgate will then go and play other players in roles that are nothing like the ones they play for their club. Still, no surprise, he's not the best football manager is he?
This user liked this post: joey13

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:53 pm

?
Last edited by kentonclaret on Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Going public does nobody any favours but Tarkowski has got previous of acting like this and is obviously taking advantage of no fans being allowed on the ground.

Is there any chance of anything positive coming out from the club at the moment?

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:54 pm

JohnMac wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm
Must be difficult for someone who works hard on the pitch and gives his all for the Club to know there are players out there like Carroll, Drinkwater, Wilshere who do little to nothing and get paid possibly twice as much because of where they are/were employed.

Football finance at this level is beyond Burnley and has been ever since promotion, even this supposed takeover will likely see us still at the bottom of the pile unable to compete with the wages DEMANDED by players.
Of course players will DEMAND top dollar. Why wouldn’t they? They represent brands who bring in huge amounts of money. It’s only fair they get a huge slice of that money. Be that players of Man Utd who gain massively due to sponsorship, tickets, shirts or otherwise. Then you’ve got players here like Tarks that have played huge roles in gaining huge amounts of money for Burnley over the past few years. Plus Burnley have put some kind if price tag on him. Clubs can’t put huge price tags on players then presume they’ll resign contracts what £5/10m players earn. That’s no dig at the club. We simply can’t compete and offer what Tarks thinks he should earn. Both board and player are well within their rights here. Big respect for both of them.

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:55 pm

We didn't need to sell him or anybody according to Sean. If any club had met our valuation then I suspect we would have seen a departure or two. Players come and go, some will leave on better terms with fans than others.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Dyched wrote:
That’s correct.

Thing is most on here can’t understand he doesn't get picked because he plays for Burnley but because the way we play.
Or maybe he just isn't good enough?

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:03 pm

jojomk1 wrote:

Absolutely the case.

Quality defender, playing in a system that is alien to the national setup. He doesn’t need to worry about players running in behind in our setup for example. On the international stage that’s a common theme.

On the grass geography works both ways.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:04 pm

onewillieirvine wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:55 pm
We didn't need to sell him or anybody according to Sean. If any club had met our valuation then I suspect we would have seen a departure or two. Players come and go, some will leave on better terms with fans than others.
As I have said previously, there was a value attached, it was met, the manager threw an ultimatum to the board.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:13 pm

CFS wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm
He was in the preliminary world cup squad 2 years ago.

Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Jones were the ones who went into the 23 final squad.

Tarkowsky has had his best season imo last year. All those mentioned above are no better than they were 2 years ago. Only coming through is Mings/Gomez. So I’d say Tarks is good enough to be at least in the squad. I’m not saying he should start my any means, Maguire, Mings, Gomez will be all above him in the pecking order. Failing that maybe Southgate saw enough before the WC to know Tarkowsky isn’t up to it or wants him to play at a club with 6 DM in front of him, who knows?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:24 pm

CFS wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm
Had his chance as a Burnley player.
Pope is in.
There is no anti BFC agenda.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
This is nothing personal and I see a few others agreeing with your argument but

The first thing I ask is why then was he originally picked by Southgate - we defend in exactly the same way as we did back then so what's changed

Is it because Tarks plays in a flat back 4 and England, sometimes play with 3 CB's. But that can't be right because Maguire, Mings, Gomez and Dier, as examples, all play in teams with back 4's

Is it because he can't play out or pass out from the back - there may be something in that given his first instruction from the manager is to hoof it as far as he can

Or is it, as CFS posted, that Southgate just doesn't rate him above the others

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:48 pm

jojomk1 wrote:

It's not just Southgate. (Who I personally don't rate particularly highly)
We'd players in the mid/late 60s & early 70s who didn't get the same consideration by England managers as those from city clubs got.
Whether that's right or wrong, it's certainly fact.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

CFS

Post by CFS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Dyched wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:13 pm
He was in the preliminary world cup squad 2 years ago.

Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Jones were the ones who went into the 23 final squad.

Tarkowsky has had his best season imo last year. All those mentioned above are no better than they were 2 years ago. Only coming through is Mings/Gomez. So I’d say Tarks is good enough to be at least in the squad. I’m not saying he should start my any means, Maguire, Mings, Gomez will be all above him in the pecking order. Failing that maybe Southgate saw enough before the WC to know Tarkowsky isn’t up to it or wants him to play at a club with 6 DM in front of him, who knows?
He's changed system to what he was playing then.

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm

DJW - Ok, I hadn't seen your post, was just going off the "We're in a good position and don't need to sell" statement by Mr Dyche. I bet it was an interesting conversation between Mr Garlick and Sean.

CFS

Post by CFS » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:24 pm
Had his chance as a Burnley player.
Pope is in.
There is no anti BFC agenda.
Exactly had his chance says it all. He had a chance and they deemed him not good enough.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Garlick ghosting Tarky won't have helped either. Although I have to say the finger has to be pointed at Southgate too on this one.

As long as Tarky remains professional for the rest of his time here I think he's earned a move tbf

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 pm

He'd no need to say it. There's other players wanting to get in the England and top team squads playing for unfashionable PL teams. If we'd have read similar articles from any of them there would be questions asked of them and their commitment to their current club.
He has put extra pressure on himself now that he didn't need to do because it is clear he has alienated many Burnley fans. Nothing wrong in ambition, a lot wrong in ruthless ambition

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Grumps wrote:
Like I said previously this interview has cost the club millions in potential transfer fees

I Carnt believe people think he was right in doing it, whether or not you agree with its sentiments, the future possible transfer dealings of burnley football club should not have been printed all over a national newspaper

I do wonder if he'd been as willing to air his views had fans been allowed into games, at the moment he isn't going to get any stick from the fans
Do you think that any club who would be trying to sign him would have been unaware of this if they hadn't read it in the paper?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm

I really don't like the way he is trying to sell himself by going public but I do understand his feelings. We had the chance to strengthen our squad and be challenging in the top half of the table instead of at the bottom but IMO because of the possible takeover we chose not to. You can't expect world class players to stay and play in a relegation fight when the club appears to lack ambition. Not signing any players in the summer has had a real negative affect on everyone concerned.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:04 pm

I imagine his agent will have been working on getting him a move since the summer.
The interview will make no difference to his value.
IMO it portrays him as very honest. It also pre-empts any stories of him being unsettled at present.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:04 pm
I imagine his agent will have been working on getting him a move since LAST summer.
changed that for you

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Firthy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm
You can't expect world class players to stay and play in a relegation fight when the club appears to lack ambition.
I understand your point but we don't have anyone in that Category :lol:

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm
changed that for you
Thanks. ;)

When you think about it, most agents are doing that most of the time. :D

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:58 pm
Do you think that any club who would be trying to sign him would have been unaware of this if they hadn't read it in the paper?
No but there's a distinct difference between somebody wanting to move & somebody proactively engaging in a newspaper article stating there want to move, more exposure & a sense of urgency to make that happen will result in a price dip, offloading an unhappy player is more favours for favours than a outright offer without pressure.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 pm

About time people were honest and said what they think. I don't blame him for wanting to better himself. Not being funny, if I was a prem league player Burnley would be the last club I'd want to play for. The football is w***, the falling outs between manager and board, the lack of ambition. If its not this season then it will be soon when we are back in the championship. He has to make hay whilst the sun is shining.

I know I'll get the 14 year old kids now saying (in a thick as f*** accent) well f*** off then and support another team if thats what you think. Its just reality. Were **** and he knows it
These 2 users liked this post: Enola Gay TsarBomba

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Its not the crime of the century a player wanting to move to another club whoever wanted him in the last window should have offered the market price and not try to get him on the cheap.