Pickford v Pope v Henderson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Pickford v Pope v Henderson

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Interesting assessment of England keepers by the England goalkeeping coach.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -margetson

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Re: Pickford v Pope v Henderson

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:48 pm

I heard about this, I’ll give it a watch

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:58 pm

And praise from Southgate.

https://youtu.be/-wJ1-sq7PYQ

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:33 pm

The Times, 11th Nov:

England goalkeeping coach Martyn Margetson picks apart Jordan Pickford’s technique

England’s goalkeeping coach has publicly criticised Jordan Pickford’s technique after a difficult start to the season for the country’s No 1.

Pickford has been out of form for Everton, who signed Robin Olsen on loan from Roma last month to compete with the 26-year-old, and now Martyn Margetson has inadvertently added to the scrutiny by pinpointing areas, such as a low hand position, that are making his task more difficult.

Nick Pope, the Burnley goalkeeper, is set to start for England in tomorrow’s friendly against Ireland as manager Gareth Southgate keeps Pickford back for the Nations League encounter with Belgium on Sunday.

Margetson’s comment were made on Sky Sports, where he and the former England goalkeeper Robert Green discussed Pickford, Pope and Dean Henderson, the other goalkeeper in the England squad.

After watching a clip of Pickford saving from Dele Alli in Everton’s opening game of the season at Tottenham Hotspur, Margetson said: “If you look at his final set position, he’s got virtually a 90-degree knee bend, which then makes his hands too low.

“The goalkeepers I work with, your hand position is absolutely key to your success. They’re the quickest things that can react and if your hands are too low, sometimes the distances they have to travel — like in this instance, [when] the ball is struck above Jordan’s head.

“His knee bend is too great, which means his hands were virtually by his ankles. If he starts with his hands a bit higher, then that save becomes easier. As much as he’s made a brilliant save, and that’s the primary concern here, if his hands start [higher] that makes that save a touch easier.

“When you get to Jordan Pickford’s level, that type of detail, your final set position when attackers make ball contact, are the choices as a goalkeeper that win you and lose you games.”

There were also clips from Everton’s Carabao Cup win over Fleetwood Town, when Pickford made two errors in a 5-2 victory, one when initially coming for a cross before changing his mind. In the ensuing scramble, he was beaten by an overhead kick from Callum Camps.

“I always say to my goalkeepers, ‘Don’t go looking for the ball, don’t go inventing work,’ ” Margetson, who was Pickford’s goalkeeper coach at Everton under Sam Allardyce, said. “The ball will find you, you don’t need to go searching for it — like he did on the cross.

“The first thing I will look for is his final set position on ball contact, which is the foundation of every goalkeeper save, and where are Jordan’s hands? At the ball contact, you can see the hands are not in Jordan’s eyeline.

“Straight away the save is far more difficult. The hands haven’t worked together and it’s an unfortunate handling error more than anything. Jordan will understand that detail.”

Southgate said last week that no one was seriously challenging Pickford for the England No 1 jersey, but the analysis of a Pope save from Brighton’s Alexis Mac Allister was more favourable. “He’s in a good position with his feet and on ball contact his hands are above his knees, which I call the neutral position,” Margetson said, “and they look like to me they’re in his eyeline, which makes his save choice easier.”

Margetson went on to suggest that Henderson, who is third choice for England and Manchester United’s back-up goalkeeper behind David De Gea, makes up for technical issues with his agility.

“One thing Dean is, he’s a super athlete in the goal,” he said. “He’s got superb spring, but sometimes for me his final set positions can be a little bit low, and sometimes his hands, he has to find them again to make the saves.

“We talk about simplifying the role, and if Dean keeps his hands in his eyeline, the saves will become a little easier for him. But at the end of the day, he’s making them.”

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Get the impression Margetson would play Pope.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:36 am

Nick is the best English keeper
He was one off winning the golden glove last season and has two clean sheets already this one
His command of the box and shot stopping puts him way above Pickford and United reserve Henderson .But as we know the media picks the England team and Soutgate follows slavishly follows the latest player trend .

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:36 am
Nick is the best English keeper
He was one off winning the golden glove last season and has two clean sheets already this one
His command of the box and shot stopping puts him way above Pickford and United reserve Henderson .But as we know the media picks the England team and Soutgate follows slavishly follows the latest player trend .
Does a lot of the media favour Pickford? I’ve seen plenty of pundits and articles getting at Pickford.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 am

What we need is for Pope to be tested in a competitive international.

Wont happen because he has no experience of playing in a competitive international

He will have to be patient and wait until Pickford gets injured or suspended

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:19 am

What we need is for Pope to be tested in a competitive international.

Wont happen because he has no experience of playing in a competitive international

He will have to be patient and wait until Pickford gets injured or suspended