Are we playing games in less days?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Are we playing games in less days?

Post by steve1264b » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi when i listen to the experts they keep saying that we are playing more games in less days.

This is being used as an excuse to go to 5 subs.

Is this true?

It doesnt feel to me that we are playing twice a week.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Re: Are we playing games in less days?

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm
Hi when i listen to the experts they keep saying that we are playing more games in less days.

This is being used as an excuse to go to 5 subs.

Is this true?

It doesnt feel to me that we are playing twice a week.
No, just the top clubs, who also have huge squads

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:40 pm

The big boys who are playing in Europe are.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm

With better fixture management then it wouldn't be an issue, but it's not a shock that those in charge couldn't work this out.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm
With better fixture management then it wouldn't be an issue, but it's not a shock that those in charge couldn't work this out.
Yes! precisely this, for this particular season it would have made perfect sense to make all cup comps straight ko's, including any European competitions, this would have reduced the fixture list at a stroke, of course it might also have cost the big fish a lot of money, but surely if they truly cared for the welfare of their players this would be a worthy sacrifice surely.

Also why friendly internationals were taking place during the autumn baffles me, obviously the NL and the Euro play-offs were necessary, but the meaningless friendlies weren't, and they could have easily been shelved for the time being.

That's just 2 examples off the top of my head, and no doubt with a ounce of common-sense others could have been found if the powers that be had been willing.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 pm
Yes! precisely this, for this particular season it would have made perfect sense to make all cup comps straight ko's, including any European competitions, this would have reduced the fixture list at a stroke, of course it might also have cost the big fish a lot of money, but surely if they truly cared for the welfare of their players this would be a worthy sacrifice surely.

Also why friendly internationals were taking place during the autumn baffles me, obviously the NL and the Euro play-offs were necessary, but the meaningless friendlies weren't, and they could have easily been shelved for the time being.

That's just 2 examples off the top of my head, and no doubt with a ounce of common-sense others could have been found if the powers that be had been willing.
Maybe the international friendlies could have been binned but I don’t know why people always refer to them as meaningless. I’m sure they’re meaningful for the national team coaches as preparation in advance of a major tournament.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm
Maybe the international friendlies could have been binned but I don’t know why people always refer to them as meaningless. I’m sure they’re meaningful for the national team coaches as preparation in advance of a major tournament.
That may be true, however if the authorities were really serious about fixture congestion, then tough decisions needed to be made prior to the start of the season, and delaying international friendlies could have been one of them, I suspect that the main reason they choose not to make this call was once again down to money and broadcast contracts.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm
That may be true, however if the authorities were really serious about fixture congestion, then tough decisions needed to be made prior to the start of the season, and delaying international friendlies could have been one of them, I suspect that the main reason they choose not to make this call was once again down to money and broadcast contracts.
Maybe the clubs need to realise that the broadcast contracts are responsible for their humongous revenue and the salaries of their players and staff. Maybe they should also tap into their huge resources and give chances to some of the squad players who never get a minute.

This is the way the game has been for as long as I’ve known it. League games at the weekend, European games during the week and domestic football breaks to allow for international matches at set points throughout the season. They need to get over it.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Maybe the clubs need to realise that the broadcast contracts are responsible for their humongous revenue and the salaries of their players and staff. Maybe they should also tap into their huge resources and give chances to some of the squad players who never get a minute.

This is the way the game has been for as long as I’ve known it. League games at the weekend, European games during the week and domestic football breaks to allow for international matches at set points throughout the season. They need to get over it.
I don't disagree with you, and I've already stated that the clubs could have offered solutions if they weren't happy, again the reasons they didn't is purely down to money, and if the players were so concerned perhaps they could have taken a salary cut for the short term also.

It appears that there's plenty of moaning and groaning coming from the managers and clubs, but few viable solutions to these problems that they're offering.

You do raise a perfectly valid point about the strength of the squads, and yet it's often the same faces you see walking out come matchday, Chelsea are an obvious example, yet again they've got hordes of players out on loan this season that they could potentially have utilised, and if there was an issue regarding the squad size, then possibly the PL could have raised the named squad list from 25 to 30 just for this season.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Re: international.
Did any player actually play 270mins over the 3 matches?
Poor management from the national selector if they did, unless they are not a club regular.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm

1959/60 the Clarets played 42 league matches and 8 cup games in a season that lasted 37 weeks. They used 18 players with 3 playing in all 50 matches, 3 playing in 49 and at the other end of the scale 1 playing just 2 and 2 playing just 1.

IN 2016/7 Liverpool played 38 league matches and 9 cup games in a season that lasted 37 weeks. They used 29 players with 2 playing 41 matches, 2 playing 40 matches and at the other end of the scale 1 played 2 and 3 played just 1.

This season will see 38 League matches played in 36 weeks but it is all too much --get a life ---some people work hard for a living.
However, Pep and Jurgen have spoken so watch this space.

Edited to add:- I forgot to mention that in 1959/60 there were no subs so those players played the full 90 minutes and if they picked up injuries they were treated with a bucket of cold water and a sponge. Whereas the Liverpool players in 2016/7 could be replaced by substitutes and receive state of the art treatment when injured.
Last edited by Ashingtonclaret46 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Re: international.
Did any player actually play 270mins over the 3 matches?
Poor management from the national selector if they did, unless they are not a club regular.
IDK about all the players, but I do know that there's been a lot of fuss up here from Neil Lennon and Celtic about Ryan Christie playing in all 3 Scotland games, and given the ET they had to endure against Serbia this will have meant he'd played 300 minutes in total, however Lennon still selected him for Celtic's game yesterday, and he was probably the one Celtic player to emerge with any credit, and he certainly didn't look tired, I really think we're in danger of talking the fatigue issue up far more than it merits, and you do wonder if some players feel like they've got a ready made excuse if they don't perform to their usual standards.
This user liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm
IDK about all the players, but I do know that there's been a lot of fuss up here from Neil Lennon and Celtic about Ryan Christie playing in all 3 Scotland games, and given the ET they had to endure against Serbia this will have meant he'd played 300 minutes in total, however Lennon still selected him for Celtic's game yesterday, and he was probably the one Celtic player to emerge with any credit, and he certainly didn't look tired, I really think we're in danger of talking the fatigue issue up far more than it merits, and you do wonder if some players feel like they've got a ready made excuse if they don't perform to their usual standards.
Spot on.