Can you help with my Sons University Study on football academies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Can you help with my Sons University Study on football academies

Post by 1968claret » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Fellow Clarets

My son is studying multi media journalism at University and as part of his final year studies he is developing a campaign aiming to prompt change in the football youth academy system and for football clubs to take more responsibility for the wellbeing of young footballers, particularly those who are released after maybe years in the academies from a very young age.

The first stage of his study is the petition at the following link. Would be very grateful if you could have a look and if you agree please sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/premier-league ... my-players

(Please note that the online petition is hosted by change.org and sometimes it will ask if you want to donate £1, this is not required so please tick no)

The next stage of his work will be to write an article on the topic and he will be interviewing people from across football. If you are involved or have been involved with football academies and would be happy to give your thoughts please let me know and I will arrange for him to get in touch.

Mods - Hope this is Ok, but please remove if not.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Re: Can you help with my Sons University Study on football academies

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:16 pm

1968claret wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Mods - Hope this is Ok, but please remove if not.
It is OK and I've signed it.

1968claret

Post by 1968claret » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Great, thanks Tony.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:35 pm

There was a young lad released by Man City recently who took his own life. There was a lad at Burnley a few years ago who was released at the end of his scholarship and he really struggled to deal with it.

Man City might well have offered him as much support as they could but I know the lad who left us got no support or help whatsoever. The fallout is very high as it has always been but the young kids now are put under pressure too much I think by clubs. For those who are released and need help, it is something that needs to improve.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

1968claret

Post by 1968claret » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Agree Tony. I know when I coached Junior Football some clubs would trawl the teams get loads of young kids to join the academy. They wouldn’t be able to continue playing for their local teams, missing out on years of just playing football for enjoyment, then getting released.
Basically for the clubs it is worth it. They might take in a hundred kids and if only one makes it they will be happy. But what about those other 99!