Chris Wilder

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Chris Wilder

Post by nyclaret » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Is he in danger of losing his job? They spent a decent amount of money in the summer and their owner will be asking questions.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Re: Chris Wilder

Post by DCWat » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Leicester, Southampton and Man United next up. Not an easy run of games. From our perspective, I hope that they stay rooted to the bottom.

I think we need one other to go with WBA abs Fulham.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:09 pm

West Brom are showing signs of being competitive. It's looking grim for Fulham and Sheffield United already.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:13 pm

We need to hope they don’t sack him before the takeover is completed. I can see them being an attractive proposition for SD, and his commute to Sheffield is better for him too

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6489 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Strange how much they have fallen from last season,lose a few more and they are banged to rights to be one of the three,which would make it considerably easier for us to stay up!

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 pm

They have definitely been found out....

On another note, I have no idea why the scouse German has had to call him out as selfish on the five subs issue. Sorry Juergen but I think you are the selfish one wanting everything in favour of the big clubs....

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 pm

On another note, I have no idea why the scouse German has had to call him out as selfish on the five subs issue. Sorry Juergen but I think you are the selfish one wanting everything in favour of the big clubs....
Klopp has accused Wilder of only showing concern in Sheffield United whereas he is showing concern for all clubs. Given the support he's getting, Klopp might actually be right. Wilder & Dyche are still in the 3 from 5 gang but there are a lot of managers now switching their views.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 pm

I think Klopp's point was that if Wilder votes for what's best for Sheffield United it's a jolly selfish attitude, because he ought to be voting for what's best for Liverpool. Like Liverpool always do. I don't see any altruistic Klopp and/or Liverpool record of voting for the good of the game even if it's against Liverpool's interests.

Unless, of course, you know different. ;) (What programme was that from?)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:10 pm

Wilder would be perfect for some of our fans to be our manager

Plays amazing football
Spends over 20m on players with sell on fee (Brewster for one)
Signs players from abroad for decent fees

Hard to believe they have 1 point from 10 games (and that was from a home game with Fulham)
This user liked this post: Spijed

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Klopp has accused Wilder of only showing concern in Sheffield United whereas he is showing concern for all clubs. Given the support he's getting, Klopp might actually be right. Wilder & Dyche are still in the 3 from 5 gang but there are a lot of managers now switching their views.
It’s a valid argument from Klopp. It’s not like Liverpool have this squad depth people think they do either. Them like we were with 2 CH out are down to bare bones. We have more quality up front in terms of that level of quality. Wood/Barnes/J Rod/Vydra. There isn’t a massive drop if 1 or 2 get injured. Same with CM. Whereas Liverpools level if quality drops significantly. I say this in terms of quality that theirs and our first 11s are at if anyone reads that we’ve the same quality as them. So this idea that Liverpool just want 5 subs to bring on world class players is invalid imho. If it was City that’s a different story, but it’s not.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Klopp has spent half a billion quid and bought 26 players. If he can't plug holes left by a few injuries, it's his own fault.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:41 pm
It’s a valid argument from Klopp. It’s not like Liverpool have this squad depth people think they do either. Them like we were with 2 CH out are down to bare bones. We have more quality up front in terms of that level of quality. Wood/Barnes/J Rod/Vydra. There isn’t a massive drop if 1 or 2 get injured. Same with CM. Whereas Liverpools level if quality drops significantly. I say this in terms of quality that theirs and our first 11s are at if anyone reads that we’ve the same quality as them. So this idea that Liverpool just want 5 subs to bring on world class players is invalid imho. If it was City that’s a different story, but it’s not.
Liverpool have a lot of players out injured....including 3 first choice centre backs.
Their front 4 or 5 are : Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota and Origi....I’d say that was pretty decent ! If you look at the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and even City there is arguably more strength and quality in depth at Liverpool.
If everybody was fit they would have an extremely strong bench.
What is good for Liverpool is that with so many potential first team / squad players injured that they have some excellent youngsters who are being blooded and getting great development.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm
Klopp has spent half a billion quid and bought 26 players. If he can't plug holes left by a few injuries, it's his own fault.
What’s his net spend though ? He’s sold at least £250m worth of players.
In terms of net spend he has spent nowhere near as much as Pep....nowhere near.
He’s spent significantly less than United too....and less than Chelsea, and possibly a few other clubs too.

He has a lot of injuries - not sure how many exactly but at least half a dozen who would be regularly playing...including 3 centre backs.

I think Klopp was out of order the way he spoke to BT but he does have a point re the early kick offs and it’s not coincidence he is picking up so many injuries. Look at how much Pep has spent at City and don’t think for one minute he is not saying exactly the same as Klopp.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:06 pm

I would have thought that for better rest, Liverpool's players should be given 90 minutes Saturday and not in the squad Wednesday, rather than 60 minutes Saturday and 30 Wednesday.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:10 pm

I have no sympathy for Liverpool at all. Injuries happen, it's football, why should we change the rules just because this time it is them.

Citing drop in quality as a valid argument is wrong. Nobody in world football would have someone in reserve capable of filling the boots of VVD.

Like all things in football, clubs will find a way to cheat it. What price a team running down time using 5 subs when it suits them etc, this wouldn't be against rules but would be against the spirit of those rules.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:38 pm

In truth the top clubs should not be playing in the foreign competition, travelling all over the place. But its money.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Why should anyone respect Klopp when he practically accused Ben Mee of deliberately injuring Joe Gomez?

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Yes, and he probably should have been fined or warned about his future conduct for his comments the other day.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:57 pm
Liverpool have a lot of players out injured....including 3 first choice centre backs.
Their front 4 or 5 are : Salah, Firmino, Mane, Jota and Origi....I’d say that was pretty decent ! If you look at the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and even City there is arguably more strength and quality in depth at Liverpool.
If everybody was fit they would have an extremely strong bench.
What is good for Liverpool is that with so many potential first team / squad players injured that they have some excellent youngsters who are being blooded and getting great development.
I know when everyone is fit the bench is strong. The argument is everyone isn’t fit because of the schedule so he wants 5 subs to try and prevent other injuries hitting. That’s the point he’s making. I’m stating that those saying top clubs want to use it to their advantage are wrong. It’s not now because they’ve a lot of injuries. So the point remains. If he was to make 5 subs now, his team would be significantly weaker than what started the game.

It’s okay saying youth are getting a chance. Their defending champions, it isn’t the time for that. Had we had 5/6 first team players out and playing 2/3/4 youth players in a relegation battle that isn’t great development. That’s the football authorities putting clubs in a bad situation because of scheduling.

Look at international weeks now. Nonsense. 2 years ago or whatever it was we were told friendlies are gone Nations League is here now. Suddenly 2 games on an international week suddenly became 3. There’s also been no proper pre season to get the players fully fit imho. Look at Sheffield United, they’ve dropped off because of that. Liverpool have also got Europe to manage too. Posters will say “Just get out of it then”. Well no. Why would you get yourself out of arguably the biggest club competition in the world because of bad organisation.

It was understood after the first lockdown clubs can use 5 subs and a drinks break. They’ve had 3 months off, now I know that isn’t ideal for athletes to not have the proper training, equipment to keep match fir properly. But 3 months 5 subs were needed. Going into this season there was 6 weeks between the last game of 19/20 to the first game of 20/21. How suddenly is it okay to go back to 3 subs and no drinks break? I know the drinks break was a bit of nonsense but still the gap in play is gone and 2 subs gone. There’s normally a few weeks off and then an intense preseason to see players through the next 9 months. There’s been a complete lack of planning for this season and Klopp is correct about the welfare of players.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:46 pm

But it's the big clubs who want to increase the size of the Champions league and fly to China for pre season every summer. They can't have it both ways.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:51 pm

If it's only player safety they care for, make it 11 subs you have to make at half time.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Dyched wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:43 pm
I know when everyone is fit the bench is strong. The argument is everyone isn’t fit because of the schedule so he wants 5 subs to try and prevent other injuries hitting. That’s the point he’s making. I’m stating that those saying top clubs want to use it to their advantage are wrong. It’s not now because they’ve a lot of injuries. So the point remains. If he was to make 5 subs now, his team would be significantly weaker than what started the game.

It’s okay saying youth are getting a chance. Their defending champions, it isn’t the time for that. Had we had 5/6 first team players out and playing 2/3/4 youth players in a relegation battle that isn’t great development. That’s the football authorities putting clubs in a bad situation because of scheduling.

Look at international weeks now. Nonsense. 2 years ago or whatever it was we were told friendlies are gone Nations League is here now. Suddenly 2 games on an international week suddenly became 3. There’s also been no proper pre season to get the players fully fit imho. Look at Sheffield United, they’ve dropped off because of that. Liverpool have also got Europe to manage too. Posters will say “Just get out of it then”. Well no. Why would you get yourself out of arguably the biggest club competition in the world because of bad organisation.

It was understood after the first lockdown clubs can use 5 subs and a drinks break. They’ve had 3 months off, now I know that isn’t ideal for athletes to not have the proper training, equipment to keep match fir properly. But 3 months 5 subs were needed. Going into this season there was 6 weeks between the last game of 19/20 to the first game of 20/21. How suddenly is it okay to go back to 3 subs and no drinks break? I know the drinks break was a bit of nonsense but still the gap in play is gone and 2 subs gone. There’s normally a few weeks off and then an intense preseason to see players through the next 9 months. There’s been a complete lack of planning for this season and Klopp is correct about the welfare of players.
I agree with all of that.
I was just saying that Liverpool have a lot of quality players out injured for a variety of reasons - including the schedule. They do seem to have had a bit of bad luck too.....who would know that VVD would be assaulted by the numpty Pickford ?!!!
My view at first was strongly against 5 subs because of how weak our squad has been and the little quality we have on the bench compared to other teams. Irrespective of injuries, the schedule etc etc even at full strength our bench is weaker than most teams (even when those teams have got lots of injuries). As well as managing the schedule and trying to protect players from too much game time it’s also a matter of other teams being able to bring on game changing substitutes - and I accept that this has often put as at weakness in this league but it seems like that with our issues between Garlick and Dyche combined with the compressed season (and a few more injuries than we usually get) that it’s all transpired into a perfect storm for us this season.

And whilst I do see Klopp and others perspective a bit more now and the pretty compelling data on increased injuries across all teams I am still against 5 substitutes - but purely because of the position Burnley find themselves in.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11047 times
Has Liked: 5656 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:58 pm

I've never ever understood why you can have a squad of 25 but can only play 14. The more subs allowed the better, if we can't compete because of it then tough ****

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Some people moan about liverpool's injury woes but sheffield united don't have the same depth, Jack o Connell is out injured he had a big part last season then enda stevens is out injured now but other than that they haven't got anyone really new Burke is new and he works his socks off just needs a bit of luck.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Aye - Wilder has just signed Oliver Burke for £6m.

Oh yes and 7 or 8 other new players he brought in with more than £50m spent.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Can someone change the thread title to Jurgen Klopp.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:58 pm
I've never ever understood why you can have a squad of 25 but can only play 14. The more subs allowed the better, if we can't compete because of it then tough ****
There should be some limit of subs wether that’s 3 or 5 I don’t know. I do understand the arguments for both though tbh.

What I don’t understand is why in a European Championship or World Cup the full 23 man squad is involved in a match day. Of course it’s an intense month or so with games every 5 days. But that’s practically what the teams in Europe and the football league do for most of the season. I’ve no idea why it happens in the international tournaments.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 pm
I agree, it doesn't matter what anyone has spent, you want to be in all these competitions you find a way to manage it without moaning, if you can't hack it don't back it.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:11 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:56 pm
I agree with all of that.
I was just saying that Liverpool have a lot of quality players out injured for a variety of reasons - including the schedule. They do seem to have had a bit of bad luck too.....who would know that VVD would be assaulted by the numpty Pickford ?!!!
My view at first was strongly against 5 subs because of how weak our squad has been and the little quality we have on the bench compared to other teams. Irrespective of injuries, the schedule etc etc even at full strength our bench is weaker than most teams (even when those teams have got lots of injuries). As well as managing the schedule and trying to protect players from too much game time it’s also a matter of other teams being able to bring on game changing substitutes - and I accept that this has often put as at weakness in this league but it seems like that with our issues between Garlick and Dyche combined with the compressed season (and a few more injuries than we usually get) that it’s all transpired into a perfect storm for us this season.

And whilst I do see Klopp and others perspective a bit more now and the pretty compelling data on increased injuries across all teams I am still against 5 substitutes - but purely because of the position Burnley find themselves in.
It’s probably down to the signings we didn’t make. If we’d have got those 2/3 extras we probably need and a fully fit squad suddenly the 5 subs wouldn’t be a bad idea.

The one thing I’m not keen on is how tactics can be changed so much with 5 subs. You can change everything with that amount. 3 stops you as much so to speak.

There’s pros and cons for both really. I can see both arguments though to be fair.