Our transfer policy / process post Takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Our transfer policy / process post Takeover

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Let's assume the takeover happens.

I think one shift that has to happen from current is the absolute power Dyche seems to wield regarding transfers - the profile and type he likes.

Overhaul recruitment and systems by all means - that isn't working - but if someone is going to put in significant investment it can't just be left to Dyche to decide how that money is spent moving forward. It will be a different club at that point.

Perhaps what is needed is a panel of 3 / 4 with majority decisions pushed through. Board members, the key recruitment head and Dyche.

We simply need a different type of player profile coming through - we need mobility and technical ability. We need to take more of a risk on players coming through at a younger age at lower levels - players we have consistently missed out on over the years where if we had been more decisive earlier they would now be bearing fruit.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Our transfer policy / process post Takeover

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:05 pm

What's the current process?

How do you know it isn't Dyche, Rigg and Garlick plus one other already?

Pretty sure we have signed several players recently for the U23 squad, so that's the risk on young players you're asking about.

It isn't down to Dyche now on how the money is spent is it?

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I think it is common knowledge that if Dyche doesn't fancy someone for the first team then they aren't signed. We had to turn away from a few players in the last window on that basis.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

It's only right that the manager gets the final say.

Are you suggesting we implement the European style of having a technical director who makes all the decisions and a coach who has to use the players he's given?

I'll let you be the one to tell Dyche that's what is happening.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:09 pm
I think it is common knowledge that if Dyche doesn't fancy someone for the first team then they aren't signed. We had to turn away from a few players in the last window on that basis.
By all accounts, Dyche didn't want Vydra and didn't want Harry Wilson, yet we signed Vydra and were bidding for Wilson.

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

I'll let you be the one to tell Dyche that's what is happening.
I'm not convinced Dyche's hand will be quite as strong post takeover.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm
On what basis?

A manager with a proven track record of keeping us in the PL, can play better football with better players (Defour) and has taken us to 2 top 10 finishes during his time here which is better than Watford managed.

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm

We are currently in a relegation spot playing some of the worst football in the division. We also know that if another PL club had been interested, he would be gone by now. Is that becoming more or less likely now? He would also have to replace the very competitive salary we offer.

Added to the fact that a newly taken over club with investment is more attractive to other, ambitious managers out there.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:03 pm

I'd like to see an obvious long term strategy, no more 30+ year olds looking for a last big pay day, ideally we'll get back to recruiting young developing players such as the likes of Gray, Keane, Pope & Tarks who will offer us good service, but who we can also potentially make a good return on, if and when they're sold.

We have snapped up a few youth players recently, and hopefully some of those will make it to our 1st team ranks, as Benson, Dunne & Dwight have managed to achieve in recent times. The academy has to play a major role in any future success we may enjoy, hence why the investment in Barnfield is vital well we are at the top table.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm
We are currently in a relegation spot playing some of the worst football in the division. We also know that if another PL club had been interested, he would be gone by now. Is that becoming more or less likely now? He would also have to replace the very competitive salary we offer.

Added to the fact that a newly taken over club with investment is more attractive to other, ambitious managers out there.
Who would replace him?

The likes of Marco Silva are short term managers, who don't think past the season they're in and they're invariably toss anyway like Silva was.

We don't really want one of the managers who are frequently picked off the usual merry-go-round either.

We won't attract a big name manager yet.

Dyche is fine for us, for reasons I've mentioned.
He has earned the chance to show what he can do with more financial backing.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:13 pm

All conjecture I know....but my own view is that during the last 8 years not one single player has been signed by SD that he did not agree to.
That’s very different to SD getting all the players he wanted or his number one targets - and also different to any rifts there may have been on players we have lost out on because MG was not prepared to go beyond certain financial boundaries.

If SD was ever put in a position of not having the final say on which players were being signed by the club personally I could not see him working here any longer. It goes against pretty much everything I’ve ever heard him talk about the character and type of players he wants at the club.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:22 pm

The current ' process ' is irrelevant when the club have no money for signings

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm
Have to agree.

Papabendi

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:09 pm
Who would replace him?

The likes of Marco Silva are short term managers, who don't think past the season they're in and they're invariably toss anyway like Silva was.

We don't really want one of the managers who are frequently picked off the usual merry-go-round either.

We won't attract a big name manager yet.

Dyche is fine for us, for reasons I've mentioned.
He has earned the chance to show what he can do with more financial backing.
you make it sound like we wouldn't have options. I'd respectfully have to disagree.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Papabendi wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:29 pm
you make it sound like we wouldn't have options. I'd respectfully have to disagree.
I agree we'd have options, we are a far more attractive proposition then we were when Howe left and Dyche took over.

My point being is Dyche clearly looks long term, when many managers don't.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 pm
I agree we'd have options, we are a far more attractive proposition then we were when Howe left and Dyche took over.

My point being is Dyche clearly looks long term, when many managers don't.
I wouldn't say Dyche looks too long term with all his over 30s signings.

But what is long term in football?

Maybe the DoF and head coach is more long term?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm

I do think Dyche will be in for a big shock if/ when we are taken over.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:32 pm

I’d be more than happy for SD (with a realistic budget ) targeting players he needs rather than having to target bargain basement hasbeens he doesn’t really want in the first place. The thought of having some dodgy South American agent recommending his mates for overinflated prices just because they play at Deportivo reserves with an exotic name is a quite terrifying prospect
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm
I do think Dyche will be in for a big shock if/ when we are taken over.
Why? That's a strange comment what's the reasoning behind the comment, it's been going on for months do you not think dyche will be prepared or have some sort of idea what the new owner/owners are about, this is not an overnight thing, by the time it's completed if it gets completed at that juncture dyche will know pretty much what there is to know.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:58 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm
I wouldn't say Dyche looks too long term with all his over 30s signings.

But what is long term in football?

Maybe the DoF and head coach is more long term?
All his under 30 signings are long term though.
The over 30's have done a job for us in the short term, but long term that allows the club to find young under studies.

The over 30's also contribute to the dressing room in regards to harmony and team spirit, something Dyche has always valued and aside from Gibson, we've pretty much never heard of unrest in there.
The only time we hear claims of unrest is when the people on here are adamant it's happening because we've lost a couple of games.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:01 pm

If we were to go for a moneyball approach that would mean a) signing players who are not rated by other managers but successful at what they are supposed to do.....like a fantastic defender who's distribution is poor. b) signing players who are considered over the hill by others but who still produce c) signing players who do the business but are undervalued.

I reckon we've done all 3 of those in the past. Buying players on the basis of the data will bring us more signings that people are unenthusiastic about rather than less.

For me the biggest obstacle will be SDs "fit and proper persons" rule, we'll have to wait and see if ALK buy into that.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:04 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:54 pm
Why? That's a strange comment what's the reasoning behind the comment, it's been going on for months do you not think dyche will be prepared or have some sort of idea what the new owner/owners are about, this is not an overnight thing, by the time it's completed if it gets completed at that juncture dyche will know pretty much what there is to know.
I'm sure he doesn't know all there is to know. He's an employee, not a board member. He'll have been told what people want him to know.

My comment is based on the commonly accepted idea that he has total control of the football side of things under the current regime, and probably a bit more beside the football side. Will a new set of owners be so profligate with their control over a business acquired for tens of millions of pounds? My suspicion would be no. We'll see.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:43 pm

I'd be amazed if the new owners are happy to step back and give Dyche 100% control of transfer targets after spending 200 million to buy the club.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:58 pm

I think it could be a rebuild in the championship unfortunately

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:58 pm

If I was buying the club now I would stall until the Jan window ends at which time we will be desperate and accept a much reduced offer.Just wait and see

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Personally hoping that our strategy is to sign two quality players in January - a creative right-sides midfielder and a right back, ideally.

Beyond that, I don’t mind if Dyche is given full control or we take the Moneyball approach or what.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:08 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:58 pm
If I was buying the club now I would stall until the Jan window ends at which time we will be desperate and accept a much reduced offer.Just wait and see
They may well effectively be buying a Championship club at that point which is not presumably what they intended.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:04 pm
I'm sure he doesn't know all there is to know. He's an employee, not a board member. He'll have been told what people want him to know.

My comment is based on the commonly accepted idea that he has total control of the football side of things under the current regime, and probably a bit more beside the football side. Will a new set of owners be so profligate with their control over a business acquired for tens of millions of pounds? My suspicion would be no. We'll see.
Sean will know pretty much everything he’s been at the club for over 8 years & will have a full understanding of everything operational all the nuts & bolts, when being interviewed he may shy away or divert certain lines of questioning purely because he’s not obligated to divulge sensitive information doesn’t mean he doesn’t know it means he doesn’t want to tell all & sundry, in 8 years you forge professional & personal relationships & you pick information up by listening & seeing, unless you are suggesting in the last 8 years he’s been blindfolded or been walking around wearing ear muffs.