Poll: European Super League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Poll: European Super League

Post by claretblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:41 pm

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Poll: European Super League

Post by timshorts » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 pm

The only good things about a European super league would be:
(a) several Billy Big ******** clubs fing off to play in it. And
(b) the thing going bust.

There are several issues that arise out of this which might be fun to discuss:-
1. Can the rest of us stop the big clubs from putting a side in the Premier league as well?
2. Assuming that the rest of us find voice to tell sky sports etc. that we will not buy this rubbish, would they then buy it and foist it on us?
3. Will uefa be allowed to ban Premier league games from being on the same day/time as the euro league games. I think not, which will be an improvement.
4. Most pleasingly, some of these euro giants are going to have to finish near the bottom of their wonder league. Which glory hunter fans are going to stick with their clubs at that point? I can see it suiting dortmund and some of the Italian clubs pretty well as they would carry on supporting their clubs regardless, but Madrid?, man u? Psg? Arsenal tv? Meltdown followed by defection, I think.
Of course, west ham ought to be in it too as they have a Johnson class ground and they won the World Cup blah blah blah.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:42 pm

6 clubs sod off to a European super league.

The next 6 clubs in the financial chain in the PL then step into the void and proceed to form their own strangle hold on the top spots.

Think Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle if taken over.

Nothing would change in the long term, we'd end up with the same complaints about the PL.

It would be amusing to watch the current big six adjust to life in a league they can't dominate year in, year out, but that's all we'd get.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 pm

If they're going to have a ESL I just wish they'd get on and do it, this idea has been touted for 30-40 years, and it still hasn't happened.

I can see it being a short-lived success, but by the 3rd/4th season I can see many fans becoming bored with the project, especially if their team is towards the lower reaches of any such league.

I strongly suspect the European big boys are using this threat to ensure UEFA bend to their demands in any restructuring of the European competitions, but there's no way the likes of Man Utd & Real will leave their domestic leagues, that's the product that attracts the investors, sponsors and TV revenue, and they'll never walk away from that unless there is no choice, this is why they want the domestic leagues reduced, so they can more easily fit all these extra fixtures into the calendar.

I actually hope they do take the plunge and it all goes tits up, I'll find it amusing when they come running back to the PL, La Liga et al, and they're told to beggar off.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:40 am

2100 people surveyed? Sounds like the journo has made the story up.

There is also today a survey from the same source on VAR any guesses on how many people were polled?

In my many years on the planet I have seen thousands of surveys on myriad subjects without ever being polled for my views on any of the subjects.

Have any of you?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 am

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:40 am

There is also today a survey from the same source on VAR any guesses on how many people were polled?

In my many years on the planet I have seen thousands of surveys on myriad subjects without ever being polled for my views on any of the subjects.

Have any of you?
Nope, never been polled on anything of substance.

Mind you I don't go out of my way to sign up to polling sites and I avoid people in town asking questions :lol:
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:22 am

aclaretinstevenage wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:40 am

Have any of you?
I used to get regular weekly surveys from You Gov, but you do have to sign up to their account, I don't bother with them anymore, but such surveys do exist.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:22 am
I used to get regular weekly surveys from You Gov, but you do have to sign up to their account, I don't bother with them anymore, but such surveys do exist.

I am registered with Gov.Uk and do give feedback there but that's the extent of it......other than this forum of course.