VAR - Your views

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Re: VAR - Your views

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:35 pm

My views have always been that it would ruin the game and I still stick with that, however, according to David Elleray it looks as though it will take longer than it was first thought.

Headlines on the back pages of this morning's Times, "Elleray: VAR is here to stay, global refereeing chief says technology works-but it may take a decade to perfect the system - ditching VAR would cause uproar - game is fairer and cleaner now - English game must learn to apply it better - the handball given against Ward (Crystal Palace v Everton in September) was a classic example of referees applying the laws too rigidly."

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 pm
Keep VAR , change the offside law, change who is officiating in the control room
Agreed !

VAR is not the problem. It is the interpretation of ludicrous laws that creates uncertainty and disquiet.

It has led me to question the motives of some referees. Are they making crazy decisions to discredit the concept of VAR?

Anything that makes the referees job easier should be embraced and welcomed, but some of the decisions that we have seen are beyond ludicrous, they are turning life-long fans away from the beautiful game. So sad :(

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Changing the laws since VAR came in, to fit VAR.

That is the problem.
These 4 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Ashingtonclaret46 bobinho MT03ALG

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 pm

Fans, players and managers demanded perfection of decisions and now don't like 1mm perfection.

Be careful what you wish for
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 pm

I don’t think there’s any harm in wishing this slide rule perfection that we are currently seeing is removed and replaced by a change in the law that adds to the number of goals scored rather than what we are seeing now

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 pm

VAR has done nothing whatsoever to improve the game. If it were scrapped, the game would be better. Football is not a game of millimetre precision. Nor is it a game where controversy is somehow avoided by showing multiple replays in slow motion.
If it were to stay then maybe give each team one or maybe two opportunities to challenge certain decisions: a goal or a disallowed goal; a penalty or a denied penalty; a sending off. You get to keep your challenges if you called it right. Only the manager or captain can make the challenge and it has to be within 30 seconds of the incident.
But as I said at the start, if VAR disappeared off the face of the earth then absolutely no one would miss it.
This user liked this post: Vintage Claret

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 pm
VAR has done nothing whatsoever to improve the game. If it were scrapped, the game would be better. Football is not a game of millimetre precision. Nor is it a game where controversy is somehow avoided by showing multiple replays in slow motion.
If it were to stay then maybe give each team one or maybe two opportunities to challenge certain decisions: a goal or a disallowed goal; a penalty or a denied penalty; a sending off. You get to keep your challenges if you called it right. Only the manager or captain can make the challenge and it has to be within 30 seconds of the incident.
But as I said at the start, if VAR disappeared off the face of the earth then absolutely no one would miss it.
FIFA would miss it because it is their baby and it will grow and grow!

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Scrap VAR and change the offside rule back to how it was
Offside if there are less than two players in front of the player receiving the ball.
Also if an opponent touches the ball inflight prior to the player gains control then they are onside.

Claret

Post by Claret » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 pm
FIFA would miss it because it is their baby and it will grow and grow!
FIFA is to football what Donald Trump is to a sense of humour

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:58 pm

I like it, but its poorly implemented. I think there definitely needs to be independants having a part in the decision in the VAR room than only refs.
It's clear refs don't like over-ruling other refs, so it needs to be someone else influencing the calls.

I think the system in motor racing works best, you have a panel of officials, but one or two stewards (ex drivers, or in this case, ex players) who also influence the decision and advise the VAR officials of the players perspective.

Also needs to be more transparency with what's going on, especially for those in the stadium. Half the time you don't know if something is getting checked, and you don't know when its being checked. It should be something that is made clear from start to finish from fans rather than everyone wondering what the hell is going on.

They also should do something about diving and simulation which is so easy to spot in slow motion.

I believe its a step in the right direction and in proper use will add entertainment and fair play to the game.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:06 pm

Refereeing by committee really is the way forward and they could just get rid of the onfield officials and do everything digitally and impersonally.
That must be a much fairer way and clears an onfield official of any bias whatsoever. Problem solved.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am

Thanks for all the comments - I'll go through this thread early next week and that will ensure I'm sorted for the meeting next week.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:16 am

From the perspective of someone who only watched the Premier League on TV. Quite simply, I don’t watch anymore. Just Burnley when we can watch in a pub, I won’t even sit at home and watch on my own, it bores me. Constant talk about VAR divisions, the dissection to the 10th degree of every millimetre. Fans in the grounds with no idea what’s going on. My last visits to the Turf. “VAR reviewing possible red card” the game goes on, those at home know what’s happening, you who’ve made the effort to be there, no idea. What’s the point in going, it’s only those sat at home that matter. The beautiful game we love on the pitch is dead. It started with cheating, diving players, multi-millionaire wages, and now the laws of the match you are at are being decided in a office/studio hundreds of miles away. Football played on Towneley was the very same game played at Turf Moor. Not anymore. VAR? Get rid now.. Please.

firstclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by firstclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 am

Bin corrupt VAR, I believe that the tv companies have said that they cannot sell Burnley v Basakshir, they need Man Utd in Europe every year, so a odd decision here and there, fernandes falling backwards into box equals penalty, Zaha having legs taken away in box against Man Utd no penalty, penalties given after final whistle, how come no other team has benefitted yet?just a few points swing here and there should ensure that they qualify every year and then the lucrative overseas market pays up.

VAR has disrupted the flow of the game, you cannot celebrate a goal properly any more, Malcolm Allison said fans don’t want to see all these stoppages, that was in the seventies. Mick McCarthy said he’d ring referees Monday morning and apologise to them because 95% of time they were right.

From a viewing perspective it’s awful, 3pm k.o games should be going on beyond 5pm, fans are getting less football for their money.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:39 pm

I wanted VAR to come in. I was convinced it would correct some serious decision errors.

It hasn’t done that, in fact it’s made some massive blunders.

It’s ruined the live spectacle, your team scores and you know your going to have to suffer a 3 minute wait to know if it’s actually a goal.

Then there’s the offsides by 3mm a minute before the goal was actually scored.

Improvements
1/. Get rid of it. But that’s not going to happen.

2/. Make the offside line they use 10mm wide.

3/. Only be allowed to decide on things within that single phase of play.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Appoint ex referees or ex players as VAR Officials.
Handball should be a DELIBERATE attempt to play the ball with the hand.
Experiment with abolishing the offside rule.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:44 pm

As above but insist the ref studies the touchline monitor and stick to his/her subsequent decision. The ref should be in charge and accountable.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Haven’t read all the thread but in my view it should be scrapped.

Didn't want it in the first place.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:38 pm

It's a poorly conceived system, implemented badly by idiots.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:59 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm
Appoint ex referees or ex players as VAR Officials.
Handball should be a DELIBERATE attempt to play the ball with the hand.
Experiment with abolishing the offside rule.
The handball isn't VAR though, it's the new handball law.

To throw in my two penneth, I'd get rid of it if I could but if it has to stay then I'd definitely change the offside checks. I'd have a time limit on it and if the VAR couldn't decide in that time, which means it must be a tight one, then I'd go with assistant's call just as they use umpire's call in cricket.

I would also remove ALL subjective decisions from VAR checks because all they do is pass it from one referee to another.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm

If all other clubs fans had the same opinion as this forum Tony, VAR doesn't seem to have much support.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:07 pm

If they do persist with it, there's definitely a need for the equivalent of umpires call on offsides. And anything VAR overturns should fall into the "clear and obvious" category.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm
If all other clubs fans had the same opinion as this forum Tony, VAR doesn't seem to have much support.
I think the views are fairly similar no matter who you talk to, whether it is on forums such as this, in supporter group meetings, national meetings, the same points are made.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:32 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:24 pm
I think the views are fairly similar no matter who you talk to, whether it is on forums such as this, in supporter group meetings, national meetings, the same points are made.
What do you think about the VAR line being 10 mm thick, it was suggested on Sky some time ago. I thought it was a good idea.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Personally a big fan of VAR and think for Burnley it’s a massive leveller because the refs know they can’t get away with favouring the big clubs when there’s VAR watching them.

I prefer it when the VAR official tells the ref to watch the screen (i.e. this season). I’d also rather the offside rules were changed such that a foot/head needs to be offside, not an arm/toenail/shoelace. This isn’t VAR, it’s the rules.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:24 pm
If that's the case, then how can the authorities argue that VAR is benefiting the game ?

A small group of money driven ideologists over ruling millions of paying fans who made the game what is was ( not how it is ).

thirdman
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by thirdman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:39 pm

it's get rid for me, as many have said on here it spoils the game.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:05 pm

At the base level, they just need to use it like they said they would.

"Clear and obvious error by the match official (s)"

If the VAR officials need to apply a line to the screen in order to work out whether a player is offside or not, it was neither a clear nor an obvious error.

It's a sound idea, poorly executed.

Claret

Post by Claret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm

Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 pm
Furthermore, having a set number of challenges would put the refereeing of a game firmly back in the hands of the referee.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Offside should be determined only by the position of the players feet. Nothing else. Makes decisions clear and obvious

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Handball should be for deliberate handball. This would include using hands/arms to protect the player. The unnatural arm position is subjective and therefore bs

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Clear and obvious
Offside
Handball
Using the monitors
These issues have been covered with suggestions for improvements.
The biggest thing for me is the number of people(fans) that dislike it, the time it takes, the lack of consistency, the way it stops the game, the way the game goes on and is called back. The poor communication within the stadium and perhaps more for me is that immediate reaction when goal goes in for my team, you celebrate but with one eye on a screen in the corner of a ground.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:21 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 pm
I don’t think there’s any harm in wishing this slide rule perfection that we are currently seeing is removed and replaced by a change in the law that adds to the number of goals scored rather than what we are seeing now
That is the last thing Burnley need as we spend more time in the defensive third than the attacking third.
Increasing goals would be really bad for us 🤣🤣🤣

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:54 pm
Offside should be determined only by the position of the players feet. Nothing else. Makes decisions clear and obvious
Not singling out this post but the question I asked was about VAR and not the laws of the game.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 am

Scrap it and allow the match officials to do their jobs.

Any manager who tries to bully or intimidate them, either during the game or in the post-match interviews, gets a hefty fine and a touchline ban.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 pm
Not singling out this post but the question I asked was about VAR and not the laws of the game.
Trouble is Tony, the laws of the game are being changed to fit in with VAR, and not for the benefit of the game itself, in fact changing the whole dynamic of the game we use to love.
That means discussing VAR by default means discussing the laws.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:53 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:01 am
Trouble is Tony, the laws of the game are being changed to fit in with VAR, and not for the benefit of the game itself, in fact changing the whole dynamic of the game we use to love.
That means discussing VAR by default means discussing the laws.
OK but that's not what I asked and is not within the remit of the meeting I'm attending.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:08 pm

I’d like to see it scrapped. I don’t think it’s going to happen mind.