McNeil the most under appreciated player at Burnley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

McNeil the most under appreciated player at Burnley?

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:00 pm

I do not understand why our fan base continues to blast McNeil after nearly every game. Twitter was a joke this afternoon with numerous calls for him to be dropped. I suggest a large number of our ‘fans’ need to get of fifa and start acknowledging the talent he is.

However these are Mcneils stats for today’s game:

2 Key Passes - team high
4 successful dribbles - team high
2 accurate crosses - team high
2 tackles
1 interception
96% pass accuracy.

I have said it before and I will say it again, McNeil is levels above the rest of the Burnley squad. We won’t know what we have lost until it is too late.
These 5 users liked this post: boatshed bill Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46 evensteadiereddie Juan Tanamera

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: McNeil the most under appreciated player at Burnley?

Post by Steddyman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:02 pm

He was today, for the first time this season.

He's been crap in every other match this season.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:03 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:00 pm
I do not understand why our fan base continues to blast McNeil after nearly every game. Twitter was a joke this afternoon with numerous calls for him to be dropped. I suggest a large number of our ‘fans’ need to get of fifa and start acknowledging the talent he is.

2 Key Passes - team high
2 tackles
1 interception
96% pass accuracy.

I have said it before and I will say it again, McNeil is levels above the rest of the Burnley squad. We won’t know what we have lost until it is too late.
Mate, 90% of fans on Twitter don't have a clue. So don't let that get to you.

Although it might surprise you, the posters who post on the match threads here talk a LOT more sense.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Had the highest pass completion on the pitch. I think the problem is he had a great season last season and for a number of reasons he hasn’t hit those heights yet. He’s still doing the right things at the right time, but recently he’s not been affecting games.

He doesn’t deserve undue criticism for that because a lot of players have performed worse than him, but he set the bar very high last season so it’s understandable, if a little unfair, that fans are being critical.

I would have expected the McNeill from last season to do better with the chance from the edge of the box in the dying minutes today.
This user liked this post: Terrier

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 pm

Currently has the best passing, dribbling, crossing and chances created stats of every Burnley player this season.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Standard from certain parts of the fan base
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Quiet first half but glimpses in the 2nd of the cracking left winger we have. He’ll come good again.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm

You’ve misspelt overrated

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

I have seen a Burnley fan on Twitter saying that Mcneils finishing was the worst he had seen in a long time and that he should have scored the ‘easy chance’ today.

Since when has 25 yard half volley been an easy chance.

It just frustrates me listening to our fan base on social media

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 pm

MRG wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm
You quite clearly have no idea about football
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 pm

He was much improved today, but he had to bury that chance in the closing minutes, he can finish with aplomb we've seen him do so on several occasions, not least his goal at home to Wolves a couple of seasons past, such a shame he couldn't find the net today and be the matchwinner, what a lift that would have given him and the team.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm
I have seen a Burnley fan on Twitter saying that Mcneils finishing was the worst he had seen in a long time and that he should have scored the ‘easy chance’ today.

Like I've suggested, the dumbest people are on Twitter. I had a personal profile but stopped bothering with it. I just make money from Twitter, that's it.

I do read tweets now and again and every time the lineup is named, people talk like they've never watched a game of football in their lives.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Some of our fans seem to expect him to be the match winner or dig us out of a hole every week. He could probably do eith the occasional rest as well, but we just don't have the squad to do it.
This user liked this post: Boss Hogg

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:20 pm

If it’s on social media there’s at least a 100% chance of it being rubbish
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Boss Hogg longsidepies

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:25 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 pm
Some of our fans seem to expect him to be the match winner or dig us out of a hole every week. He could probably do eith the occasional rest as well, but we just don't have the squad to do it.
Sadly that is true, and because of his initial impact we probably do expect too much from him, we need to remember he's still developing as a player, and he will have spells where his form dips, the signs were more promising from him today though, and hopefully he's slowly regaining his confidence again.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:20 pm
If it’s on social media there’s at least a 100% chance of it being rubbish
We should really have a thread with screenshots of what people actually post on social media.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5101 times
Has Liked: 5168 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:40 pm

He's a fantastic talent but the frustration with him is that he could be even better.

It's a pleasure to watch him in a Burnley shirt but hopefully he keeps improving and pushing himself.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:01 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

2 Key Passes - team high
2 tackles
1 interception
96% pass accuracy.

Mixed messages mate, you berate the “FIFA” generation and proceed to quote their type of stats - which actually don’t describe what is actually happening out there.

I see a very talented player who is extremely short on confidence in his own abilities. He needs a rest, not because he’s poor, but because he’s tired. Trouble is, until we have reliable cover we have to keep playing him. He’s carried us for too long now.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:16 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

2 Key Passes - team high
2 tackles
1 interception
96% pass accuracy.

Your right, however up to the heights he can play at he isnt there so hes being judged on his talent. He is though out of form by his standards. The lad needs a break and to come back refreshed. No matter what sport your in you have dips in form. The lad will come back even better but he does need a rest for 4/5 games
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Agree hardly a sitter possibly summed up his season a sense of frustration. There was a fantastic bit of skill in the 2nd half which only he is capable of. Really bemused by the grief he gets.

Denno97
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Denno97 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Looks like Dyche has worked his magic and turned him into a Boyd/Arfield grafter with limited skill. Seems to spend half his time passing backwards and scared to beat a man.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04 pm

Having watched Werner, Chelsea's £48 million striker, miss two attempts from two feet tonight whilst stood between the posts and then followed this up with another miss from 5 yards, I think that we should be cutting Dwight a bit of slack.

Remember though that you only miss chances when you get yourself into a position to score and that goes for every player.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:04 am

95% of so called football fans, including Burnley fans on social media. Think they know more about football than Klopp, Fergie, pep and Dyche put together.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:08 am

He needs a break. I thought he played well against Everton though.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 am

A 21 year old lad tired after playing once maybe twice a week :roll:
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank tim_noone Jakubclaret

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 am

His dip in form seemed to coincide with him starting to wander into the middle to make a more solid midfield. Obviously a tactical tweak but I can only remember it really working away at Palace. It’s taken away his ability to go around the outside by himself and put those wonderful crosses in and completely vaporized the Taylor-McNeil interplay we relied so much on.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 861 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:12 am

Fantastic young player and just needs a rest that’s all. When we have both JBG and Brady fit to play sign another winger which we should have done already maybe he could come on from the bench. Some players don’t get moved even when off form and others just don’t get a chance under Dyche.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:35 am

I saw him play for the England U-21's recently and Boothroyd played him in his wide left role. He beat his man several times and produced some superb crosses that should have led to goals. Him and Taylor have developed this habit of probing for a while then coming back and playing a 40 yard back pass

On a positive note we have got several good results lately with him having a bad day, so when his form returns it may be the difference in getting all the points

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 pm
You quite clearly have no idea about football
You seriously think DM hasn’t been overrated ? He’s a young player with a lot of talent
playing in a very poor Burnley side .However he’s a hell of a lot to learn ( as well as scoring goals ) before he reaches the ludicrous valuations that some on here place on him . Personally I was hoping this season he’d come of age and really impress and score a good few as well ,leading to a large sale fee. As yet he’s had a very average season ( with the odd bit of magic )

Re: his stats - Considering he’s our only player who can seriously dribble and 1 of say 3 who can put crosses in , his passing is also usually short passes, it’s no suprise he tops those stats .

Imo , he’s a talented work in progress worth about 15/20m

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:20 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:47 am

You seriously think DM hasn’t been overrated ? He’s a young player with a lot of talent
playing in a very poor Burnley side .However he’s a hell of a lot to learn ( as well as scoring goals ) before he reaches the ludicrous valuations that some on here place on him . Personally I was hoping this season he’d come of age and really impress and score a good few as well ,leading to a large sale fee. As yet he’s had a very average season ( with the odd bit of magic )

Re: his stats - Considering he’s our only player who can seriously dribble and 1 of say 3 who can put crosses in , his passing is also usually short passes, it’s no suprise he tops those stats .

Imo , he’s a talented work in progress worth about 15/20m
Sort of agree with this

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Stats don’t give the full picture. The truth is he not playing as well as he did until his arm injury. Whether he is coming infield under orders, which I believe, or not he is not as good as he was staying out wide. Until that wonderful turn yesterday he had barely beaten a man all season and while his control and passing are first class he made his name with crossing for assists. This has totally dried up. He doesn’t deserve dropping but SD has to get him playing where the team benefits from his skills.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:35 pm

He’s only 21 and we are very lucky to have him.
He’s played a lot of Premier League football for someone so young and there cannot be many players on his development path who do not have dips in form - especially wingers and attacking players.

He’s lost some confidence this season (just like most of our team) and he seems to be looking to pass backwards a lot more than he has ever done - which maybe under the managers instruction but more likely to be a confidence thing and fear of losing the ball.
Yesterday I noticed he tried 2 or 3 attempts at taking on Iwobi that didn’t come off. But then he played a nice ball through for the big chance that Wood missed and after that he did that great spin and turn when he had 2 players on him. That must have given him some confidence and it’s a pity this didn’t happen earlier in the game as it’s exactly the kind of thing he needs.

I’m sure everyone at the club is reminding him what a very good player he is and to keep being brave and positive in taking people on when he gets a chance. As a team we need to be making sure we give him the ball in places on the pitch where he can do this without leaving us exposed to the counter attack if he loses it....so many teams in this league are just frightening on the counter so it’s a hard balance for us to achieve this. As fans we know that Dwight is the only one in our team capable of doing the things he does.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Those criticising the instruction for him to come inside need to remember how ineffective he was at the start of the season when he hugged the touch line. It’s a lot easier to crowd out someone when they’re out wide and teams were making a concerted effort to nullify him.

Whilst he’s less of a threat coming inside, he is able to get on the ball a lot more and needs to work on how to influence the game more when doing so. One thing he does give us is when he roams central is more possession of the ball. He also got into a good goal scoring position at the edge of the box which he should have done better from.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5049 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:00 pm

The expectation of some fans is unreasonable.
McNeil had a fantastic first season, but as well as being a marked card, he is still our only real threat. Because of that it is easier for the opposition to double up on him and try and nullify him. Anyone who didn't expect him to struggle under the circumstances is unrealistic.
If we can get Brady and or JBG to pose a threat down the other wing, and Westwood or Brownhill to carry out the occasional surge from midfield, Dwight might be in a better position to shine.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:10 pm

It's fair enough to criticise his finishing. That shot on Saturday was reminiscent of the one he fluffed against Sheff Utd at the end of last season. He needs to improve from those kind of positions.

Apart from that.... Nah he's brilliant.

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:13 pm

He is a convenient scapegoat, there not many his age in the premiership where a team relys so heavily on him to play well week in, week out and he has been managed "poorly" but only because he's one of the very few in the team that has quality / or produces quality when he plays well so whether in or out of form he starts most games.
Look at say Foden 20 years old, wrapped in cotton wool (probably this season his first season off the leash) but because of the squad around him if he has any dip of form Pep can get him out the firing line for 1-2-3-4 games there not reliant totally on him becuase there quality in reserve.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6752 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Denno97 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 pm
Looks like Dyche has worked his magic and turned him into a Boyd/Arfield grafter with limited skill. Seems to spend half his time passing backwards and scared to beat a man.
He's been worked out. The defenders on him (often 2) push him inside where, owing to his left-footedness, he can only pass backwards.
Still a fine player, though, and if he could concentrate on a purely attacking role could become even better.
This user liked this post: scrambledclaret

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Genuine question, has there been a better 21 year old line up for us in the last 30 years?

Yes he’s looking tired, but how tough must it be when the team is constantly relying on you to create something.

scrambledclaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by scrambledclaret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:29 pm
He's been worked out. The defenders on him (often 2) push him inside where, owing to his left-footedness, he can only pass backwards.
Still a fine player, though, and if he could concentrate on a purely attacking role could become even better.
I think there's a lot of truth in that, the angles are all wrong for him if he's collecting the ball wide left and drifting in like he has to quite often. He showed a couple of times yesterday that he can still wriggle past two players improbably at times. There's a really good player in there who's had to learn fast and looks a bit weary, let's enjoy what we've got.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:20 pm

He's a talented player but is without doubt having a dip in performance. Could be psychological but please don't tell me it's physical. He's a young lad, has nothing else to do but focus on football. He should be able to run all day and every day. Those saying he needs physical rest have never been young and played sport.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6752 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Espia wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:20 pm
He's a talented player but is without doubt having a dip in performance. Could be psychological but please don't tell me it's physical. He's a young lad, has nothing else to do but focus on football. He should be able to run all day and every day. Those saying he needs physical rest have never been young and played sport.
And those who say he doesn't are clearly disagreeing with top European managers.
You know what I'd like to see? Someone put him clear on the wing with some killer passes, half the time he's receiving the ball with his back to his marker.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04 pm
Having watched Werner, Chelsea's £48 million striker, miss two attempts from two feet tonight whilst stood between the posts and then followed this up with another miss from 5 yards, I think that we should be cutting Dwight a bit of slack.

Remember though that you only miss chances when you get yourself into a position to score and that goes for every player.
One of those once in a blue moon moments with a fast spinning ball. He knows how to pass and score to.....very exciting player.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Just wish he had smacked that last min chance last pickford

scrambledclaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by scrambledclaret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:40 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:30 pm
Just wish he had smacked that last min chance last pickford
Don't we all, not many I'd rather it have fallen to though

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:42 pm

Ben Mee is our most underappreciated player. Been with the club for years and still doesn't have a proper song

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2631 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:17 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:28 pm
One of those once in a blue moon moments with a fast spinning ball. He knows how to pass and score to.....very exciting player.
tim --I wasn't arguing against his skill, I was merely pointing out that players miss easy chances --he actually missed it twice ---he also missed an easy chance later in the game --it happens!
Our fans crucify Dwight because he missed the target from 25 yards out ---it happens!

Claret Toni
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by Claret Toni » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm

MRG wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 pm
You've misspelt spelt

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 pm

joey13 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 am
A 21 year old lad tired after playing once maybe twice a week :roll:
It’s insane, you’ve got 50+ old blokes doing double shifts continentals etc.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:31 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:42 pm
Ben Mee is our most underappreciated player. Been with the club for years and still doesn't have a proper song
Course he does.. ben mee..ben mee.........ben mee ben mee ben mee....... ben mee.ben mee ffs!!!!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:14 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm
Genuine question, has there been a better 21 year old line up for us in the last 30 years?

Yes he’s looking tired, but how tough must it be when the team is constantly relying on you to create something.
That Eze stepped up from the championship hes 22 he created lots of chances today...didnt look tired and hes a Lot older than dwight.