Callum Styles

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Re: Callum Styles

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:45 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm
You may have no proof, and proof is impossible to provide in the case of a footballer.

What you can have is belief. You may not have belief, and that’s fine. Having first watched Callum at the age of 7 and having been part of the scouting team that brought him to the club, and then having watched him regularly through the age groups, and watched him when stepped up in age groups, and watched him be the best player at under 16, I had belief that he would make a professional footballer at a good level.

He was a playing professional football at the age of 16, 8 weeks after his release. I’d say my belief was pretty well placed on the tens of views and hundreds of training sessions I observed him in.
Yes, I get all of what you are saying. I wouldn't begin to argue with your knowledge of the player, scouting ability...anything.
But it still doesn't mean that he wasn't better off out of Burnley.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:45 pm
Yes, I get all of what you are saying. I wouldn't begin to argue with your knowledge of the player, scouting ability...anything.
But it still doesn't mean that he wasn't better off out of Burnley.
I have never seen him play but read many a post on him over the years I understand what you are saying. I would guess he has played more first team football at this point than he would had he remained with us so that would only be of benefit to him. I think the point though is are we better off as a Club for having released him. I can imagine him being ahead of Benson for instance so he could have had quite a bit of prem exposure by now

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 pm

JarrowClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 pm
I have never seen him play but read many a post on him over the years I understand what you are saying. I would guess he has played more first team football at this point than he would had he remained with us so that would only be of benefit to him. I think the point though is are we better off as a Club for having released him. I can imagine him being ahead of Benson for instance so he could have had quite a bit of prem exposure by now
It's very possible that a mistake was made.
equally, if this was a mistake it's worked out pretty well for the player.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 am

Funny how we struggle to get players loan moves at championship sides yet this lad was let go and is playing in the championship at 20.
Of course that doesn't mean he'll become premier league quality but he's doing a lot more than most of our own prospects are.

Meanwhilee we're wondering if players who are already 23 or 24 are good enough for us when they can't even secure loans in the championship.

Luckily it seems that letting a player with better potential like Styles leave is a thing of the past after our development overhaul. Hopefully we can rely more on a good mix of technology and scouting to bring in the right players in the future.

While Blake gets a lot of blame on here you can't really say the youth setup was any good before he arrived. I mean the last good prospect to make our team was Rodriguez which was some time even before then. It wasn't exactly like we had a great setup that had been spoilt, just a poor one made even poorer.

I do wonder at times whether there's a personal connection between some members here and Blake.
The decisions made by him at that time seem to create the general negative attitude towards him on here... Yet there's never any detail on exactly what he did.
If someone used to work for the club back then but left due to Blake, or if someone knows someone who did of course they are going to have stark opinions and also probably a vested interest. Nonetheless I don't dispute what people say. Just would be interesting to actually know what happened rather than to just point the finger at the danger man with some random hearsay comment here and there.

To those in the know, how do you know, and what exactly did Blake do wrong?

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 am

I don't know anything about this specific player, but is it possible he wanted to leave, especially given comments made about the assistant manager?

Higher % chance of regular football or youth team football. I know what I would choose.

Maybe Burnley didn't get rid, just couldn't keep him?

Toby Carvery
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Toby Carvery » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:21 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 am

While Blake gets a lot of blame on here you can't really say the youth setup was any good before he arrived. I mean the last good prospect to make our team was Rodriguez which was some time even before then. It wasn't exactly like we had a great setup that had been spoilt, just a poor one made even poorer.

In the Academy at the time Jason Blake arrived were:

Tyrhys Dolan - senior football at Blackburn.
Callum Styles - senior football at Barnsley.
Finlay Lockett - YT scholar and highly regarded at Bolton.
Tyler Onyango - YT scholar, England International at Everton.
Connor Morris - YT scholar at Bradford.
Charlie Woods - YT scholar at Bradford.
Sean Higgins - YT scholar at Oldham.
Danny Edwards - YT scholar at Fleetwood.
Tom Hoyle - YT scholar at Fleetwood.
Lewis Richardson - YT scholar at Burnley.
Dylan Moonan - YT scholar at Burnley.
Tremaine Eastmond - YT scholar at Burnley.

It may not have been a great setup pre-Blake, but it’s fair to say some of the recruitment, all of the above were recruited in the pre-Academy phase, was pretty outstanding.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am

Wouldn't normnally do this, but it's been a good few years now, so here's my perspective.... and that's all it is, my view. I left partly because of the changes JB was implementing, and partly because of the EPPP rules.

The latter meant that Category 1 and 2 (I think at the time) clubs could come in unannounced and look at players. I wasn't spending every Saturday and Sunday morning travelling from Leeds to scout anywhere from Bradford through to Liverpool, but most commonly in Manchester, followed by most Sunday afternoons at Gawthorpe helping with a games programme for pre academy ages (6-8), or watching an older junior age group (13-17) anywhere between Leeds and Stoke areas, as well as Wednesday night helping run a Development Centre in Halifax, and Friday night helping with the Elite Pre Academy centre at Gawthorpe, just for Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Man Utd etc to come and see the talent we'd been able to identify and the coaches had been able to develop all laid out in front of them.

Back to the former, what did JB do that was so bad. Firstly, from my perspective, he made it harder to recruit the best players. He (and I don't know why - the club may have been struggling for cash - although this was after the Coyle prem season, so definitely not as bad as they were when this started) decided that the club was no longer going to target the wider areas that scouting at young ages was operating in. With this, development centres in Manchester, Halifax, Rossendale, Skipton and Liverpool were all closed. These were development centres that helped to show how Burnley FC were going to do things differently. The big clubs can be like factories, huge community teams in schools, affiliated clubs, large teams of scouts (There were 3 Burnley scouts at a tournament in Manchester once, and that was a lot for us at the time, and we watched over 20 Everton scouts walk in) and lots of coaches of clubs who are fans recommending players - 1 cruyff turn and into the system you go. We couldn't do that with the resources we had, but we didn't want to do that either. We wanted to watch a player a number of times to be certain that there was enough there to work with, both technically and through attitude. This meant that when we spoke to parents and managers we could give a much deeper insight into what we liked, what we felt could be developed, which meant that the support team around the player often felt more involved. These development centres were a first step for the like of Callum Styles, Lewis Richardson, Sam Unwin, Oliver Younger and plenty of others, and gave access to players that we were unlikely to win, but built an affinity with in case the big clubs made a mistake and released players, then you can be in quickly (Like Bury did when there was a mistake made with Callum). There also seemed to be a demand to find the next Jay, and therefore narrow the viewing to Burnley and surroundng areas. Unfortunately, Burnley isn't a hot bed for producing professional footballers. The facilities, at the time, were miles behind Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Halifax. Leagues were mainly played on muddy, long grassed pitches, compared to all of these areas that had shared 3g/4g venues with competitive league structures and a higher level of coaching, often funded by the big clubs and proliferating in clubs running like mini academies, affiliated with Man City and Man United and following their coaching plan. Local leagues weren't that interested in this, at the time, from my experience, and didn't want to lose players to pro clubs, because it diminished their chance of winning, whereas clubs in other areas saw it as something to be proud of. Check out Reddish Vulcans, or Fletcher Moss as a prime example of this (Michael Johnson and Phil Foden from Reddish, and a long list of players mainly at Man Utd - I think Marcus Rashford the latest from a list that includes Wellbeck, Lingaard, Danny Welbeck).

As mentioned above, I also think there was a lack of appreciation from JB of the importance of having those relationships for when players bounced out of clubs. A growing spell, a 6 week spell of under performing, and the big factory clubs would release players. It was drilled into us by the lad who led the scouts, do everything right, treat people right, stay in touch with them - and it worked, when players bounced they came back to us. There were numerous examples of this. Sam Unwin who is playing well for the U23's now was offered a contract at U9 but chose, understandably Manchester United, but when he bounced back to Burnley. This point never seemed to be appreciated, and was just put down to "You can't compete with the big clubs, so just focus on the pitches where Burnley fans play" - in my view, it was short sighted, naive and made it impossible to find the right calibre of player.

Couple of final points, cos this has rambled on long enough now.

1) Under Blake, the Club narrowly, very narrowly passed a Level 3 academy asssessment on review. The changes he made to structures, policies, processes and people took the club to the verge of losing Centre Of Excellence status and funding.

2) In my view, he couldn't manage people and his changes, with no explanation, made people make the decision to leave. I think there are 9 of the scouts that are now working at other Category 1 academies, in senior roles - think head of pre academy recruitment for Liverpool in Manchester amongst others. Most of those are Burnley fans. The club never appreciated the efforts, mainly unpaid, mainly not taking expenses, of a group of 12 - 15 scouts who put so much effort into the club, to build networkd, grow development centres and find talented players

3) Finally, the point that no players have been produced since Jay is factually correct. However, as mentioned above, youth development takes time. Tyrhys Dolan, who is playing fairly regularly for Blackburn in the Championship at the age of 19 was sold by JB at the age of 14 to Manchester City. Then you've got Lewis Richardson at 18 captaining Burnley's Under 23 side and with high hopes, with him being the first England Schoolbopy the club have had for decades. Then you'd have Callum Styles at 20 being touted as one of the best talents in the Championship and targeted by Premier League Clubs, Above him at 21, you'd have had Oliver Younger who has been very unlucky with injuries that limited his development. Of course, that's not seen as producing players, but it suggests that the conveyor belt was just starting to turn a bit..... and all of those players mentioned above were with Burnley by their Under 9 season. If our Youth development had 2 players out playing regularly in the championship, whether those players made it as a premier league player for Burnley, or demanded a few million in transfer fees, that would surely be seen as success? Calum Styles has as many goals and assists fromn left back, and fewer games, as Jude Bellingham had for Birmingham in an attacking role, prior to his £25m move.

As I said, that's just my view - that's what my perception was, and what I saw. But it's all in the past now, and I just enjoy seeing players go on and make careers for themselves. Oh and for Awayfromburnley - Callum was definitely released, he didn't choose to go. He went to Bury, because of the coaches and scouts he had worked with at Burnley. There were Prem Clubs who were too slow to find out.
Last edited by dandeclaret on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 12 users liked this post: claretonthecoast1882 Mala591 dsr Duffer_ superdimitri GodIsADeeJay81 Rileybobs Dark Cloud ecc Claret Toni mkmel Corky

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:21 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 am
Wouldn't normnally do this, but it's been a good few years now, so here's my perspective.... and that's all it is, my view. I left partly because of the changes JB was implementing, and partly because of the EPPP rules.

The latter meant that Category 1 and 2 (I think at the time) clubs could come in unannounced and look at players. I wasn't spending every Saturday and Sunday morning travelling from Leeds to scout anywhere from Bradford through to Liverpool, but most commonly in Manchester, followed by most Sunday afternoons at Gawthorpe helping with a games programme for pre academy ages (6-8), or watching an older junior age group (13-17) anywhere between Leeds and Stoke areas, as well as Wednesday night helping run a Development Centre in Halifax, and Friday night helping with the Elite Pre Academy centre at Gawthorpe, just for Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Man Utd etc to come and see the talent we'd been able to identify and the coaches had been able to develop all laid out in front of them.

Back to the former, what did JB do that was so bad. Firstly, from my perspective, he made it harder to recruit the best players. He (and I don't know why - the club may have been struggling for cash - although this was after the Coyle prem season, so definitely not as bad as they were when this started) decided that the club was no longer going to target the wider areas that scouting at young ages was operating in. With this, development centres in Manchester, Halifax, Rossendale, Skipton and Liverpool were all closed. These were development centres that helped to show how Burnley FC were going to do things differently. The big clubs can be like factories, huge community teams in schools, affiliated clubs, large teams of scouts (There were 3 Burnley scouts at a tournament in Manchester once, and that was a lot for us at the time, and we watched over 20 Everton scouts walk in) and lots of coaches of clubs who are fans recommending players - 1 cruyff turn and into the system you go. We couldn't do that with the resources we had, but we didn't want to do that either. We wanted to watch a player a number of times to be certain that there was enough there to work with, both technically and through attitude. This meant that when we spoke to parents and managers we could give a much deeper insight into what we liked, what we felt could be developed, which meant that the support team around the player often felt more involved. These development centres were a first step for the like of Callum Styles, Lewis Richardson, Sam Unwin, Oliver Younger and plenty of others, and gave access to players that we were unlikely to win, but built an affinity with in case the big clubs made a mistake and released players, then you can be in quickly (Like Bury did when there was a mistake made with Callum). There also seemed to be a demand to find the next Jay, and therefore narrow the viewing to Burnley and surroundng areas. Unfortunately, Burnley isn't a hot bed for producing professional footballers. The facilities, at the time, were miles behind Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Halifax. Leagues were mainly played on muddy, long grassed pitches, compared to all of these areas that had shared 3g/4g venues with competitive league structures and a higher level of coaching, often funded by the big clubs and proliferating in clubs running like mini academies, affiliated with Man City and Man United and following their coaching plan. Local leagues weren't that interested in this, at the time, from my experience, and didn't want to lose players to pro clubs, because it diminished their chance of winning, whereas clubs in other areas saw it as something to be proud of. Check out Reddish Vulcans, or Fletcher Moss as a prime example of this (Michael Johnson and Phil Foden from Reddish, and a long list of players mainly at Man Utd - I think Marcus Rashford the latest from a list that includes Wellbeck, Lingaard, Danny Welbeck).

As mentioned above, I also think there was a lack of appreciation from JB of the importance of having those relationships for when players bounced out of clubs. A growing spell, a 6 week spell of under performing, and the big factory clubs would release players. It was drilled into us by the lad who led the scouts, do everything right, treat people right, stay in touch with them - and it worked, when players bounced they came back to us. There were numerous examples of this. Sam Unwin who is playing well for the U23's now was offered a contract at U9 but chose, understandably Manchester United, but when he bounced back to Burnley. This point never seemed to be appreciated, and was just put down to "You can't compete with the big clubs, so just focus on the pitches where Burnley fans play" - in my view, it was short sighted, naive and made it impossible to find the right calibre of player.

Couple of final points, cos this has rambled on long enough now.

1) Under Blake, the Club narrowly, very narrowly passed a Level 3 academy asssessment on review. The changes he made to structures, policies, processes and people took the club to the verge of losing Centre Of Excellence status and funding.

2) In my view, he couldn't manage people and his changes, with no explanation, made people make the decision to leave. I think there are 9 of the scouts that are now working at other Category 1 academies, in senior roles - think head of pre academy recruitment for Liverpool in Manchester amongst others. Most of those are Burnley fans. The club never appreciated the efforts, mainly unpaid, mainly not taking expenses, of a group of 12 - 15 scouts who put so much effort into the club, to build networkd, grow development centres and find talented players

3) Finally, the point that no players have been produced since Jay is factually correct. However, as mentioned above, youth development takes time. Tyrhys Dolan, who is playing fairly regularly for Blackburn in the Championship at the age of 19 was sold by JB at the age of 14 to Manchester City. Then you've got Lewis Richardson at 18 captaining Burnley's Under 23 side and with high hopes. Then you'd have Callum Styles at 20 being touted as one of the best talents in the Championship and targeted by Premier League Clubs, Above him at 21, you'd have had Oliver Younger who has been very unlucky with injuries that limited his development. Of course, that's not seen as producing players, but it suggests that the conveyor belt was just starting to turn a bit..... and all of those players mentioned above were with Burnley by their Under 9 season.

As I said, that's just my view - that's what my perception was, and what I saw. But it's all in the past now, and I just enjoy seeing players go on and make careers for themselves. Oh and for Awayfromburnley - Callum was definitely released, he didn't choose to go. He went to Bury, because of the coaches and scouts he had worked with at Burnley. There were Prem Clubs who were too slow to find out.

Excellent post

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 am

Didn’t know the boy Dolan was with us

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 am
Didn’t know the boy Dolan was with us
Yep - from 7/8 to 14. Too small for the big clubs apparently, but his technical ability and balance were incredible. He played overage for a little while whilst he grew, then played up in years (underage) , and then he was wanted by both big Manchester clubs. A rare talent.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:49 am

Excellent insight dande - thank you for sharing. You make a very compelling case for how Burnley has to do things differently to compete. It also really emphasises the timescales involved and, I suppose, why we shouldn't expect instant results.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:08 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:49 am
Excellent insight dande - thank you for sharing. You make a very compelling case for how Burnley has to do things differently to compete. It also really emphasises the timescales involved and, I suppose, why we shouldn't expect instant results.
The only thing I would say Duffer, is we're now a Category 1 academy, so that stuff I mentioned about watching players from other clubs, and being able to approach is now in Burnley's gift.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:44 am

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 am

I do wonder at times whether there's a personal connection between some members here and Blake.
Did we have a great youth policy pre-Blake? No, but we had an improving youth policy without doubt. You have to appreciate that a good youth system isn’t built in a day and the whole thing had been allowed to stagnate at Burnley for years despite the efforts of such as Jeff Taylor & Terry Pashley.

Be assured, and dandeclaret & Toby Carvery are far better people to listen to than I am, our youth system was improving during the time Martin Dobson & Vince Overson were in charge. A really good team had been put together, both full time & part time staff and volunteers. If you judge it on ‘no one since Jay’ then you can’t see the progress that was being made.

Then it all changed. A personal connection with some. What I will say is that Blake treated myself and all those on here who fundraised with ignorance and utter contempt. But how he treated me isn’t relevant to how he run the department. He treated staff, some gone and some still there, with every bit as much contempt. We lost some really good people because of him.

The man was a bully who thought he knew all and knew precious little. He didn’t listen to opinion and all but destroyed our youth system. It’s been suggested that we only just passed for cat 3; we actually failed and got through second time because we’d got into the Premier League.

Jon Pepper, who is in charge now, has said more than once that we had a very badly functioning cat 3 academy when he came in.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:44 am

are Burnley interested in bringing Styles back?

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Dande. Thanks for the great insight. Greatly appreciated.
What are your views on the current scouting team compared to then?
I understand you were a youth scout but presumably you'd also get to know some of the senior scouts.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Didn’t really work with any of the senior scouts, and don’t know anybody currently involved any more, so I can’t really assess.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm

In terms of the academy scouts, I think virtually all of them departed over a period when dandeclaret did, including a couple more on this message board. When Pepper arrived it was in a right mess I believe with hardly a scout to be found. They brought in a couple of people to try and get things moving again but one of them, Tom Reeves, was soon on the move, to Norwich I think.

I think Nicky Law is still head of academy coaching but he will report in to Mike Rigg.

I'm not sure on the senior scouts - pre-Rigg it was headed by Martin Hodge (still is) and he had senior scouts working for him in Ian Butterworth, Terry Pashley and Darren Mowbray. I believe all those three are still there too.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm

Seems you put a lot of hard yards in Dan, and as a volunteer. Fair play. Thanks on behalf of the fans who are desperate for young stars to come through.

How did your dabble into horse racing go? I think you stopped posting on the old board as you were getting into it?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:23 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm
Seems you put a lot of hard yards in Dan, and as a volunteer. Fair play. Thanks on behalf of the fans who are desperate for young stars to come through.

How did your dabble into horse racing go? I think you stopped posting on the old board as you were getting into it?
Some of those lads put a lot of hard yards in and more - superb commitment to the club and without wanting anything in reward.

I knew a more senior member of Dan's family some years ago - he had a passion for the horses too. :D
These 2 users liked this post: dandeclaret Quickenthetempo

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm

HI quicken - there were hard yards, but they were enjoyable, and like I said, there were 12-15 people doing broadly the same and more as that posted above. Horses wise, still going, Wilde Blue Yonder is now retired and is with his first stable lass, he was an amazing horse, running at a Cheltenham Festival, 3 Aintree Grand National Festivals and winning at a Hennessy Festival at Newbury - an incredible rollercoaster. Still have 3 in training now - Mahlermade, who won at Haydock when I had all the family present, Big Chief Benny who has been fragile to say the least, and Hotter Than Hell who always tries, but doesn't really have many gears. It's been really enjoyable until this year, when they have run 12 times between them, and I've not been to any. I've only seen the horses once since March last year.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:24 pm
HI quicken - there were hard yards, but they were enjoyable, and like I said, there were 12-15 people doing broadly the same and more as that posted above. Horses wise, still going, Wilde Blue Yonder is now retired and is with his first stable lass, he was an amazing horse, running at a Cheltenham Festival, 3 Aintree Grand National Festivals and winning at a Hennessy Festival at Newbury - an incredible rollercoaster. Still have 3 in training now - Mahlermade, who won at Haydock when I had all the family present, Big Chief Benny who has been fragile to say the least, and Hotter Than Hell who always tries, but doesn't really have many gears. It's been really enjoyable until this year, when they have run 12 times between them, and I've not been to any. I've only seen the horses once since March last year.
Sounds good. Shame about the situation at the minute but better times around the corner.

I had to distance myself from watching Horse Racing, due to liking a bet too much, so I've lost touch with the horses.

Is Cheltenham due to go ahead?

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm
Sounds good. Shame about the situation at the minute but better times around the corner.

I had to distance myself from watching Horse Racing, due to liking a bet too much, so I've lost touch with the horses.

Is Cheltenham due to go ahead?
You do right, as soon as it gets to that point, you've got to step away. Yep, Cheltenham is all set to go ahead, behind closed doors, so not as much build up as usual.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:54 pm

I see there's only 1 under 16 that has been offered a scholarship...... this is the output from the first season that the Under 9's were put together from the new narrow scouting areas that I mentioned above.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... r-scholars

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:40 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:54 pm
I see there's only 1 under 16 that has been offered a scholarship...... this is the output from the first season that the Under 9's were put together from the new narrow scouting areas that I mentioned above.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... r-scholars
Thanks for the info on here and for the scouting work dande.

How many years were we scouting on the narrow?

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:40 am

Don’t know for certain Rowls, but maybe 3-4 years minimum?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 am

Being linked with a move to Brighton for 8 - 10m this summer

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 am
Being linked with a move to Brighton for 8 - 10m this summer
Richly deserved based on reviews of his performances in the last 18 months. Will be good to see him take the next step in his career.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm

Looked a prospect last week surely we can beat off Brighton if we are interested in him

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm
Looked a prospect last week surely we can beat off Brighton if we are interested in him
I would very much doubt we'd pay money like that for a lad we allowed to walk out

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Not sure, Brighton have a significantly richer owner than us. Even they have more spending power.

We're slowly being priced out of the market more and more by teams with more money.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:58 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Not sure, Brighton have a significantly richer owner than us. Even they have more spending power.

We're slowly being priced out of the market more and more by teams with more money.
I read recently that Brighton have been one of the biggest spenders in the Premier League in the last 2-3 years.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Brighton have spent over 180m on players in the last three seasons. They would blow us out of the water.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Tony Bloom is currently 4th on the list of all time generous benefactors in English Football behind Abramovich (Chelsea), Sheik Mansour (Man City) and Moshri (Everton) - It is likely that Nassef Sawaris and Wes Edens (Aston Villa) will overtake Bloom in the next 2 years - Moshri is committed to putting another £100m in the pot for the new Stadium

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 pm

Yorkshire post Article on Callum, with some reference to his shock when released by Burnley, and Bury’s view when they signed him

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/ ... ll-3203986

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Tony Bloom is worth 1.3 billion.

You are right, we are being priced out because even clubs like city and villa, not to mention clubs like brighton are financially doped.

Lets face it ALK arent worth more than our previous chairman!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm
And they aren't fans either, so their only intention will be to make as much money as quickly as possible, squirreling it away, and telling some porkies before riding off in to the sunset with pockets full of cash...... oh wait.
Last edited by MACCA on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: dsr

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:54 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm

They are spending quite a bit of money around Turf Moor at the moment, I would be interested to know how much was pre-planned prior to the takeover then paused for the pandemic and how much is new initiatives that they are funding

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:07 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:54 pm
They are spending quite a bit of money around Turf Moor at the moment, I would be interested to know how much was pre-planned prior to the takeover then paused for the pandemic and how much is new initiatives that they are funding
The corporate changes in the Longside were planned for last summer as was the new facade in that stand. The screen at the traffic lights was also planned. I don't know of anything else that's happening now but I know the new owners have plans to improve a number of things.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:17 pm

If he’s that good and with that much potential - he’s exactly the sort of signing that we should be looking to make, whether we let him go or not.

Is he a Burnley fan - or should I say was he a Burnley fan before we released him?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Toby Carvery wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:21 am

It may not have been a great setup pre-Blake, but it’s fair to say some of the recruitment, all of the above were recruited in the pre-Academy phase, was pretty outstanding.
couple of good names on that list, that Dolan kid is lightening quick outwide.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:38 pm

Toby Carvery wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:21 am

There aren't words to describe this.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:04 pm

DCWat wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:17 pm
If he’s that good and with that much potential - he’s exactly the sort of signing that we should be looking to make, whether we let him go or not.

Is he a Burnley fan - or should I say was he a Burnley fan before we released him?
Not from memory. Think the family are Man City fans.
This user liked this post: DCWat