January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Re: January Transfer Window Discussion - Rumours and Links welcome

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:01 pm
I hope you're trolling, we don't want that bellend anywhere near our club, look at the chaos he's causing at Watford.

I can see Vydra leaving in this window though, whether on loan or permanent is the question.
Not trolling. It's online. I was reading the Aresnal v Man city report, it was linked to that.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:35 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:19 pm
What’s he doing at Watford mate?

P.S. agree he’s a bellend without knowing the answer to that question.
I don't know the details obviously, but the rumour mill has been saying he's been rocking the boat, and all isn't well when the manager leaves him out of the squad because of a "discipline issue".

And this isn't the first time Deeney has rocked the boat, I'd rather not have somebody like him at Burnley thanks, and he's hardly pulling up trees in the Championship is he, a mere 4 goals for one of the promotion favourites, plus he's now 32 and clearly on a downward spiral, we can do far better than waste money on an ageing striker such as him.

And finally what's he offering that Barnes and Wood don't, they all play a similar style as a physical hold up forward, if we're going to bring a striker in I'd rather we went for a young nippy type, that could offer us something different in our play.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 pm
Not trolling. It's online. I was reading the Aresnal v Man city report, it was linked to that.
Fair does mate, I still wouldn't want him at Burnley though, we've already got enough players in their 30's.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:39 pm

If we’re looking at Deeney following the signing of Stephens, question marks really have to be raised regarding Dyche and transfers.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:51 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:39 pm
If we’re looking at Deeney following the signing of Stephens, question marks really have to be raised regarding Dyche and transfers.
Stephens as experienced back-up at that fee I can accept, but Deeney isn't someone we need, and his wages alone would be throwing money down the drain.

3/4 years ago then maybe, but he's well past his prime now, and he's not going to get any better at his age.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:13 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:35 pm
I don't know the details obviously, but the rumour mill has been saying he's been rocking the boat, and all isn't well when the manager leaves him out of the squad because of a "discipline issue".

And this isn't the first time Deeney has rocked the boat, I'd rather not have somebody like him at Burnley thanks, and he's hardly pulling up trees in the Championship is he, a mere 4 goals for one of the promotion favourites, plus he's now 32 and clearly on a downward spiral, we can do far better than waste money on an ageing striker such as him.

And finally what's he offering that Barnes and Wood don't, they all play a similar style as a physical hold up forward, if we're going to bring a striker in I'd rather we went for a young nippy type, that could offer us something different in our play.
Thanks for that pal. Sounds a bad egg to me, but thought that before. The way he behaved coming out of lockdown was terrible, in my opinion, especially as he subsequently u-turned very quickly when he realised the rest of football was getting on with it. Whether all that fuss set a mood/spirit that ultimately contributed to their demise, who knows now, but it wasn’t clever behaviour from a captain. So so glad we have Mee in that respect.

Hope he never gets anywhere near BFC. And as you say, adds nothing we don’t have. Totally agree we need a striker with real pace if we do sign a new one. Would much rather stick with Vyds and strengthen elsewhere though.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:57 am

Toney looks a decent shout at Brentford pacy with an eye for goal

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:41 am

Would take that Da Silva before Toney.

Watched the first half and he looked a cut above vs Newcastle. Hadn’t realised he’d scored second half.

O/T: That’ll also do Newcastle’s confidence no good!

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:57 am
Toney looks a decent shout at Brentford pacy with an eye for goal
Heard we were looking at him when still at Peterborough so seem to have missed the boat now - top scorer in all four leagues so out of our budget range

Doubt Brentford will let anyone go given their push for promotion

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Wayne Rooney been asked about links to Jones going to Derby in his press conference today.

Refused to comment on it but interesting that he is being linked in this way if he was already on his way here.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:39 pm

I think that Jones is the contingency for a possible Tarks departure. The link to Derby is press generated guess-work - Jones available/ Rooney ex-Utd/ Derby needing a strong defensive player.

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Let's hope Rooney succeeds in getting Jones

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:08 pm

If Tarks leaves and it to Leicester we should try to get in Choudray and Gray as make weights and £25m
This would cut down our payment to Brentford and give us two decent squad players

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am

clarethomer wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:51 pm
Wayne Rooney been asked about links to Jones going to Derby in his press conference today.

Refused to comment on it but interesting that he is being linked in this way if he was already on his way here.
Bit more about this on this morning's BBC football transfer gossip page:

Derby County boss Wayne Rooney wants to make former Manchester United and England team-mate Phil Jones, 28, his first signing, although the Rams could face competition from West Brom and Burnley. (Metro)
This user liked this post: clarethomer

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 am

I've forwarded this to the club, essential viewing some of them defy logic :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBT2jTScik

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:41 am

"Bright Osayi-Samuel has completed more take-ons (53) and had more touches inside the opposition box (129) than any other player in the Championship this season."

Sign him up!

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:08 pm
If Tarks leaves and it to Leicester we should try to get in Choudray and Gray as make weights and £25m
This would cut down our payment to Brentford and give us two decent squad players
No it wouldn't - they would have a value in the transaction and that would be assessed as part of the sell on clause - where do people get these ideas?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:28 pm
No it wouldn't - they would have a value in the transaction and that would be assessed as part of the sell on clause - where do people get these ideas?
I’ve seen this sort of thing mentioned many times in the past. Even if it has happened (perhaps it has, I don’t know) it wouldn’t have taken long for clubs to twig on to it and ensure it didn’t happen again.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:28 pm
It's Burnley UTC messageboard Economics 101. Lecturing this curriculum was someone with years of experience of wheeling and dealing in the world of business and commerce. I am shocked that you would even question this Chester
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 5818 times

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:30 pm

I know it wouldn’t happen, but good god, imagine Costa leading the line with Ashley Barnes. That would be a mean duo.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Costa makes Ashley Barnes look like Patrick Bamford

Bigvince
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm

Apparently we’re are interested in Duncan Whatmore at borough, who’s out of contract in 2 weeks according to Sky

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:58 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm
Apparently we’re are interested in Duncan Whatmore at borough, who’s out of contract in 2 weeks according to Sky
Well he can play on both wings and as a centre forward, I'd guess we'd be looking at him slotting in on our right side.

I don't know much about him apart from the fact he was at Sunderland, but as a free transfer we could do a lot worse, 4 goals and 1 assist in only 7 appearances is more than decent, even if it is at Championship level.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Had his share of injuries, at 26 I’d imagine a one year contract with the option of a further year or two for whoever he joins. I remember watching him and his work rate and pace were his biggest traits, albeit this was a few years ago now.

I actually didn’t even realise he was still playing until last week.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Watmore was highly rated when he went to Sunderland but then seemed to disappear, presumably largely due to injuries

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Need a left back now if Charlie is going to have an extended run on the sidelines. Loan approach for Williams would do me!

NickBFC
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 291 times

Post by NickBFC » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:57 pm

Watmore scored again tonight. Would be a risky signing in terms of keeping him fit. Had horrendous problems but did look bright when he first burst into Sunderland's side. Sure I read recently the Sunderland fans thought his legs had gone but he seems revived at Boro.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am

THis has to be the laziest peace of journalism in a lomg Time. A BBC report on what each team needs in the transfer window. Let's hope we prove them wong because we need 4 incomings IMO striker, winger, midfield and CB.

"Sean Dyche would love to strengthen after working miracles on a tight budget but the big money just isn't there at Turf Moor and a proposed takeover has yet to materialise, so it is unlikely there will be any serious movement in January.

Jeff Hendrick, now at Newcastle, is still missed in central midfield, with Everton's Fabian Delph a name doing the rounds. As for the defence, Dyche will hope no tempting offers come in for centre-back James Tarkowski.

The Clarets fought off serious summer interest for Tarkowski from West Ham and, while his sale could generate big money very quickly, his importance to the team has been emphasised after his return to fitness."

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:40 am
In - Jones, Demairi Gray, Olise, Campbell, Trippier and Diego Costa

Out - Tarkowski Stephens Barnes Lowton Vydra

UP THE ALK
Diego Costa
;)

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3596 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:29 am

Even with money, we won’t find this window easy. It’s a tough one.

This will be controversial, but if get in touch with Watford and do a loan trade of Vydra and Gray. Vydra is a nice player with some good attributes, but Dyche clearly does not rate the lad so it seems pointless keeping him here not getting a look in. Andre has done diddly squat at Watford, but he suits Dyche’s system like a hand in a glove and would be trusted by the manager to come on and try and change games.

Could be a good move for all parties and no risk, just till the summer before we re-assess.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am

Managers do tend to roll out the 'tough January window' line every year...... What is different this year though is there is a global pandemic and Championship clubs are struggling financially. We may find that those clubs who aren't right at the top of the league may be more willing to trade to balance the books and already writing this season off as merely surviving.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am
Managers do tend to roll out the 'tough January window' line every year...... What is different this year though is there is a global pandemic and Championship clubs are struggling financially. We may find that those clubs who aren't right at the top of the league may be more willing to trade to balance the books and already writing this season off as merely surviving.
That’s a good point - surely a few struggling this window.

I do wonder though, how many actually have players that would give us what we need - players that would improve our first team? Can only be 10 or so Championship players that would immediately improve us, and they tend to all be at clubs battling for promotion?

I usually dislike loans but may be tempted by a few - Lingard, Shaqiri, Williams, etc, if they were available.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 am

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 am
That’s a good point - surely a few struggling this window.

I do wonder though, how many actually have players that would give us what we need - players that would improve our first team? Can only be 10 or so Championship players that would immediately improve us, and they tend to all be at clubs battling for promotion?

I usually dislike loans but may be tempted by a few - Lingard, Shaqiri, Williams, etc, if they were available.
There may also be players who play for teams near the top who want Premier League football instantly and will force a move. Not ideal but it happens.

I don’t think we have been very good at utilising the loan market very well under SD. I would either like us to sign players on loan with a view to sign permanently (like we did with Keane) or get players on loan who would ordinarily be out of our price range but make a huge difference to our team. SD tends to only sign loan players to pad the squad out.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am

BBC having a bit of fun on Facebook
B060E03D-D65D-4F05-91B2-64918155CBEB.jpeg
B060E03D-D65D-4F05-91B2-64918155CBEB.jpeg (127.8 KiB) Viewed 4322 times

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 am
I don’t think we have been very good at utilising the loan market very well under SD. I would either like us to sign players on loan with a view to sign permanently (like we did with Keane) or get players on loan who would ordinarily be out of our price range but make a huge difference to our team. SD tends to only sign loan players to pad the squad out.
Very good point. I don’t usually like loans, but the odd one, either with options to buy or otherwise unaffordable to help push us on and away from the relegation zone would be good. As always, the attitudes are important if they’re taking a “step down” though!

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am
BBC having a bit of fun on Facebook

B060E03D-D65D-4F05-91B2-64918155CBEB.jpeg
Sign him up. He and Barnes up front would be very entertaining!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Burnley to ramp up Worrall interest
Burnley plan to step up their interest in Joe Worrall after their takeover.

The Premier League Clarets are close to finalising a buy-out by American sports investors ALK.

It will help boss Sean Dyche go back in for Nottingham Forest stopper Worrall.

Centre-back Worrall, 23, was an ever-present last term for the Championship Reds, who value him at £10million.

]The defender returned to the side earlier this month after injury and has since been given the armband.

Now Burnley are planning to return after failing to agree in the close season.

Burnley want Worrall in January to groom him as the long-term successor to established defenders Ben Mee, 31, and James Tarkowski, who has top-flight admirers.

Forest have previously regularly sold their star players to fund rebuilds with Matty Cash the latest to go.

Now Worrall is likely to be next to go to give new boss Chris Hughton funds as there is also interest in him from Germany.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Olise at Reading looks a decent player. Apparently release clause of just over 8m.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:46 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Need a left back now if Charlie is going to have an extended run on the sidelines. Loan approach for Williams would do me!
If Charlie can run on the sidelines, he can run on the pitch. ;)

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:31 am

Saw this in Burnley Express

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... 061?page=3

Hughton dismissing speculation that clarets will bid £10m for Worrall this window.

You have to click next to get right to the one bit about us

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:19 am

If we're interested in Worrall how about offering them cash plus Jimmy Dunne? Its highly unlikely he's going to have a future with us at this level.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 am

A new contract for Dyche is number one priority according to this mornings tabloids.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:46 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:19 am
If we're interested in Worrall how about offering them cash plus Jimmy Dunne? Its highly unlikely he's going to have a future with us at this level.
There is potential with Dunne but none with Long

Both Dunne and Long are ooc this summer so won't be used as part of any deal

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:43 pm

Linked with Lewis O'Brien from Huddersfield and Jason Knight from Derby County. Although a recent report says we haven't (yet?) made contact regarding O'Brien.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:32 pm

Reading The Athletic over the weekend, there was a piece about Stephen Caulker rebuilding his career and being ready to return to England. I reckon we could do worse for a 3rd / 4th choice CB
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:31 pm
Costa makes Ashley Barnes look like Patrick Bamford
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:31 am
A new contract for Dyche is number one priority according to this mornings tabloids.
Really! well that would certainly be a statement of intent, and without doubt he's the most important individual at the club.

I certainly wouldn't be against giving Sean a longer term window to show what he's capable of with more financial backing.

He's earned the right to that at least with what he's achieved over the last 8 years.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Looks like the UK is going into immediate lockdown (announcement at 8pm) and I’m wondering if this could affect all Clubs from making new signings and the transfer window?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:39 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:30 pm
I know it wouldn’t happen, but good god, imagine Costa leading the line with Ashley Barnes. That would be a mean duo.
Wow. Talk about the missing link!!!

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:05 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:37 pm
Looks like the UK is going into immediate lockdown (announcement at 8pm) and I’m wondering if this could affect all Clubs from making new signings and the transfer window?
Interesting point, players and agents having to travel, potentially from abroad and then run through a full medical. Assuming that’s possible, will the staff be working to process paperwork and registrations?

Let’s see.