Lee Mason

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: Lee Mason

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:18 am

brunlea99 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 am
Surely, the main reason that Brighton lost is that 2 of their players failed to hit the target from 2 separate penalties.
In fairness if you read the match report potter accepts responsibility for that & graciously acknowledges defeat he’s not been overly complaining about things yesterday, the main talking point are arising from masons officiating mainly dunks goal that was or wasn’t.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:17 am
I think, though happy to be corrected, that a free kick can be taken immediately unless the ref has to take action to prevent it (book or speak to a player, call a physio on, mark out a wall) and then blows the whistle to restart play when satisfied that everyone is ready for the kick to be take.

Not checking the keeper and wall were ready is the failing here. Even so, I'm not sure why he had to get VAR involved.
I’m pretty sure removing a streaker or a animal or the need for a paramedic would also be sufficient grounds for delaying a free kick as well.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 am

I think spice is right he blew a but early without checking, realised the goal was still trying to organise and blew quickly again.

Was v much like the first against us at Olympiakos except that wasn't rescinded

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:43 am

The most worrying aspect of the FK debacle is the way that Mason appears prepared to change his decision baaed on player protests. VAR was helpful in that it bought him some time to gather himself and also allowed him to claim it had been looked at objectively and dispassionately by a third party. It could have descended into a France vs Kuwait situation without VAR.

Of course referees make mistakes but a lot of people identify Lee Mason as the official most likely to make those mistakes. He wasn't concentrating on what was happening around him and it escalated from that initial lapse and was compounded by further mistakes in judgement.

I hear what people are saying about refereeing being a tough gig but that doesn't and shouldn't exempt them from criticism. I think fans would be more forgiving of referees if they explained their decisions after a game.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 am

If Brighton get relegated as a result of that and keep a decent club like Fulham or Brom up, I will forgive Mason for every wrong he has done to us.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie xxmunkyennuixx

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:23 am

I find it unfair that this incident with the free kick is analysed to death by all and sundry yet the real issues facing Brighton, the fact that they can't score, are glossed over. Why don't the do an in depth analysis of that - it would be far more interesting. But no, Sky etc. will not criticise managers or players too much but referee's seem to bear perpetual and legitimate targets.

As for refs explaining their decisions, that would not be the end of it but just add to the debate and engender further criticism.

Why don't they ask players or managers why they messed up with tactics etc.?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:28 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:23 am
I find it unfair that this incident with the free kick is analysed to death by all and sundry yet the real issues facing Brighton, the fact that they can't score, are glossed over. Why don't the do an in depth analysis of that - it would be far more interesting. But no, Sky etc. will not criticise managers or players too much but referee's seem to bear perpetual and legitimate targets.

As for refs explaining their decisions, that would not be the end of it but just add to the debate and engender further criticism.

Why don't they ask players or managers why they messed up with tactics etc.?
I also don’t understand the clamour for referees to talk after the game. It would serve no purpose and only lead to more criticism.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:46 am

Stood down today because of injury..... They must think we are stupid!!!

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 am

Referees explaining their decisions would improve understanding and encourage convergence. Their decisions are analysed to the nth degree by pundits as it is, so why not hear it from the horse's mouth? I also think an acknowledgement of doubt, even mistakes, would make reasonable people more empathetic towards them.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Grumps wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:46 am
Maybe he’s hurt his ear from having to press his finger into it too many time listening to the VAR

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:11 am
Whilst I agree with the general sentiment, and the fact that the correct outcome was reached, the situation was totally of Lee Mason’s making. Why did he tell Dunk that he could take the free kick whilst the goalkeeper was lining up the wall?
I don't know if he did. All we have to suggest that is what Dunk said to the media. It's entirely possible Mason was distracted, either didn't hear the question properly or at all, or the question from Dunk was misunderstood, etc. Misunderstandings happen. Mistakes happen.

The important thing here is that no injustice was actually done. As someone has correctly noted, there have been very rare examples if the ref allowing quick free kicks in that sort of situation (the Olympiakos game that we played may well be one), and folk are generally fuming that the ref allowed it. Now they're fuming that he's disallowed it. Both positions can't be right.

It just needs folk to be grown up. Refs manage a football match and manage their own mistakes. The media are essentially arguing that cos he'd made a mistake he shouldn't have rectified it by blowing up again. Everyone should be a bit smarter than that I think.

I do think these sorts of incidents have an impact on the attractiveness of refereeing. They may not do themselves many favours by the lack of clarity sometimes given, but they're perpetually treated as "the other". If a midfielder makes a mistake and rectifies it for his team by giving away a foul and taking a yellow card, they're generally commended for doing the right thing. If a ref tries to resolve a mistake, we get the nonsense that has followed yesterday. It basically invovlves de-humanising referees and that permeates right down to Sunday morning abuse. Why would anyone starting out at the bottom subject themselves to it?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:18 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 pm
I don't know if he did. All we have to suggest that is what Dunk said to the media. It's entirely possible Mason was distracted, either didn't hear the question properly or at all, or the question from Dunk was misunderstood, etc. Misunderstandings happen. Mistakes happen.

The important thing here is that no injustice was actually done. As someone has correctly noted, there have been very rare examples if the ref allowing quick free kicks in that sort of situation (the Olympiakos game that we played may well be one), and folk are generally fuming that the ref allowed it. Now they're fuming that he's disallowed it. Both positions can't be right.

It just needs folk to be grown up. Refs manage a football match and manage their own mistakes. The media are essentially arguing that cos he'd made a mistake he shouldn't have rectified it by blowing up again. Everyone should be a bit smarter than that I think.
I think most level-headed people would agree that the goal shouldn’t have stood therefore the correct outcome was reached. However it appears that there was some poor communication on the field. That was then compounded by ruling out the goal, then allowing it, before disallowing it again. It really was farcical and gave a strong impression that Mason had absolutely no control of the situation.

Had Mason ruled the goal out and stuck to his decision I doubt anybody would be talking about this.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Grumps wrote:
Hardly - did you see him in the last ten minutes or so yesterday struggling to run, I was amazed he actually saw the game out.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:18 pm
I think most level-headed people would agree that the goal shouldn’t have stood therefore the correct outcome was reached. However it appears that there was some poor communication on the field. That was then compounded by ruling out the goal, then allowing it, before disallowing it again. It really was farcical and gave a strong impression that Mason had absolutely no control of the situation.

Had Mason ruled the goal out and stuck to his decision I doubt anybody would be talking about this.
That narrow point isn't the one made in the media or on this thread though. there's a narrative Brighton were hard done to by a bad decision. That's not the case.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:19 pm
Hardly - did you see him in the last ten minutes or so yesterday struggling to run, I was amazed he actually saw the game out.
That's just normal....

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:22 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:01 pm
here we go again. another scapegoat. Yes he had a poor game but a bad referee. Maybe you guys need to argue with the powers to be since he as worked is way right to the top and earned is right to be there.

I agree with the scapegoat bit. It was horrendous the way Mike Dean was hung out to dry by VAR twice in a week. The VAR operator getting away with it both times

Who was on VAR both occasions?

LEE F++KING MASON!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm
That narrow point isn't the one made in the media or on this thread though. there's a narrative Brighton were hard done to by a bad decision. That's not the case.
To be honest I’ve not seen any fall out from the game other than on here. Brighton weren’t hard done to, but if Dunk was told he could take the free kick as suggested then he has every right to feel aggrieved.

I doubt anybody would be talking about this had Mason just made the free kick be retaken.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:31 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:22 pm
I agree with the scapegoat bit. It was horrendous the way Mike Dean was hung out to dry by VAR twice in a week. The VAR operator getting away with it both times

Who was on VAR both occasions?

LEE MASON!
Incorrect, Mason was on VAR duty at Fulham but not at the Man U v Southampton game

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Speaking of correct outcomes being reached yet still managing to **** people off - we had a game a few years ago, maybe Millwall, where I think Stanislas scored, no one complained, we celebrated, they lined up for the kick off and then offside was given.

So whilst it is fair to say that the right outcome was reached and that is the most important thing, the way the decision is made is also important as blundering to the right outcome just casts doubt on whether or not future outcomes are correct and the competence of the people making the decisions.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm
To be honest I’ve not seen any fall out from the game other than on here. Brighton weren’t hard done to, but if Dunk was told he could take the free kick as suggested then he has every right to feel aggrieved.
He doesn't though, not if he knows full well that had he been allowed to, it would have enabled him to get away with something that is generally prevented for precisely the reasons that occurred, i.e. the goalkeeper has been allowed to think he has time to set up a wall properly. It's just a misunderstanding.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:33 pm
He doesn't though, not if he knows full well that had he been allowed to, it would have enabled him to get away with something that is generally prevented for precisely the reasons that occurred, i.e. the goalkeeper has been allowed to think he has time to set up a wall properly. It's just a misunderstanding.
If the referee tells him he can take the kick then of course he is entitled to feel aggrieved when, after scoring, the referee changes his mind. If Mason told Dunk he could take the kick, and referees have been known to do so in similar situations, then he was totally wrong. And even if he didn’t, I think the criticism of the way he handled the aftermath is justified.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:32 pm
Speaking of correct outcomes being reached yet still managing to **** people off - we had a game a few years ago, maybe Millwall, where I think Stanislas scored, no one complained, we celebrated, they lined up for the kick off and then offside was given.

So whilst it is fair to say that the right outcome was reached and that is the most important thing, the way the decision is made is also important as blundering to the right outcome just casts doubt on whether or not future outcomes are correct and the competence of the people making the decisions.
Linesman didn't flag, goal was given by Craig Pawson. Then the Millwall players complained to the linesman, Pawson went over and the linesman stuck his flag up almost a minute after the supposed offside offence.

snail12345
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by snail12345 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:38 pm

I believe the argument for ex players to be given the role of reffiing should be looked at again. Lets be honest we are never going to see the likes of Rooney, Shearer etc taking up this role with the money they have earned over the years at top level football, however we all read how footballers released for not making the cut or through injury, struggle to come to terms with life after football. Lets make them elite refs and pay them a decent wage for doing so.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm
If the referee tells him he can take the kick then of course he is entitled to feel aggrieved when, after scoring, the referee changes his mind. If Mason told Dunk he could take the kick, and referees have been known to do so in similar situations, then he was totally wrong. And even if he didn’t, I think the criticism of the way he handled the aftermath is justified.
But as we've already established more likely there was a misunderstanding between Dunk and Mason, because firstly, what Dunk wanted to do isn't generally allowed once the ref has permitted a wall to be constructed, and secondly, had there not been a misunderstanding there would have been no need for the second whistle. Even if that's not the case, there's a mistake by Mason as to the keeper's permission that Dunk knows he's trying to get away with.

It's a bit like a small child who takes advantage of the fact that they know their parent is distracted to ask for something they know they shouldn't be allowed. When the parent realises what has actually gone on and corrects their response, the child may get upset, but they haven't really lost anything.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:47 pm

The issue is that Mason realised his error, corrected it with the second whistle, and then made another error again in awarding the goal.
So he knew that the goal shouldn't stand, or why blow his whistle a second time, but gave it anyway.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:52 pm

Let’s hope Mason recovers from his injury quickly and can get back officiating as soon as possible.

#PrayforLee

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm

Grumps wrote:
How surprising not.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm
How surprising not.
think

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:11 pm

snail12345 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:38 pm
I believe the argument for ex players to be given the role of reffiing should be looked at again. Lets be honest we are never going to see the likes of Rooney, Shearer etc taking up this role with the money they have earned over the years at top level football, however we all read how footballers released for not making the cut or through injury, struggle to come to terms with life after football. Lets make them elite refs and pay them a decent wage for doing so.
I would guess that most referee's played football at one point but weren't that good. Above all they're football fans. In any case I'm not aware that any football player has been denied the opportunity to learn and attempt to referee matches. My guess is most just don't want to.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:11 pm
I would guess that most referee's played football at one point but weren't that good. Above all they're football fans. In any case I'm not aware that any football player has been denied the opportunity to learn and attempt to referee matches. My guess is most just don't want to.
The only one I’m aware of doing the referee course is Tony Philliskirk, who got as high as the Northern Premier

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:20 pm
how was that not a bad decision?

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 pm
The only one I’m aware of doing the referee course is Tony Philliskirk, who got as high as the Northern Premier
That is a Level 3 referee.
Would still have 2B, 2A , SG2 and then SG1 before refereeing in the Premier league.
He would have gone through 4 promotions to get to that level and be in the top 1% or so.

It is a very long road to the top of the tree.

For perspective at level 3 and above there is less than 400 referees in England.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Don't know if anyone else has picked it up but apparently Mason was due to be the fourth official at one of today's other games

He had to pull out due to an injury he sustained at West Brom yesterday !

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 pm
That is a Level 3 referee.
Would still have 2B, 2A , SG2 and then SG1 before refereeing in the Premier league.
He would have gone through 4 promotions to get to that level and be in the top 1% or so.

It is a very long road to the top of the tree.

For perspective at level 3 and above there is less than 400 referees in England.
Yes aware of that, speaking from experience there aren’t enough referees at lower levels either, especially at grassroots.

I’ve sometimes thought that former players could be ideal candidates for referees
Possibly the main reason it doesn’t happen is that the time it would take to become a “top-level” ref.
If they stopped playing football at 30-35, what age would they get there if they had to go through the system?

Also, would they be restricted to the teams they could ref, and not do any of their former teams?

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:45 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 pm
Yes aware of that, speaking from experience there aren’t enough referees at lower levels either, especially at grassroots.

I’ve sometimes thought that former players could be ideal candidates for referees
Possibly the main reason it doesn’t happen is that the time it would take to become a “top-level” ref.
If they stopped playing football at 30-35, what age would they get there if they had to go through the system?

Also, would they be restricted to the teams they could ref, and not do any of their former teams?
My understanding is it will take at least 7 years with perfect promotion record including a double jump early on. Realistically 40 plus.
The problem is with rapid jumping of levels is a lack of refereei g experience. It is so different to playing.

I believe they would be restricted with clubs plus those directly impacted by them. Eg could you imagine an ex man u player refereeing say Liverpool and awarding a major decision against them. It is bad enough now when a referee from Merseyside say goes to Manchester and he has no affiliation to the clubs

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Just seen he will not be officiating this coming weekend due to an injury sustained at West Brom! Wonder who it was that kicked him very hard in the gonads?