Mark Halsey says referees are biased towards certain clubs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Mark Halsey says referees are biased towards certain clubs

Post by paulatky » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:00 am

A statement, alledgedly by former PL referee Mark Halsey, says PL is rife with spot fixing by referees and that they are biased to certain clubs.
Seems relevant after yesterday’s game and SD’s comment that referees have been told to give more penalties
Last edited by paulatky on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Mark Halsey says referees are biased towards certain clubs

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:05 am

paulatky wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:00 am
A statement, alledgedly by former PL referee Mark Halsey, so PL is rife with spot fixing by referees and that they are biased to certain clubs.
Seems relevant after yesterday’s game and SD’s comment that referees have been told to give more penalties
It might be relevant if you had a link or if it was true. I very much doubt it. Firstly I don't think Halsey said it, Secondly I don't think he would say it even if it was true, Thirdly I don't see how a ref could make enough money on spot fixing to make it worthwhile, Fourthly any bookie finding a ref betting on the sport would be straight round to the authorities to get him struck off.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:36 am

dsr wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:05 am
It might be relevant if you had a link or if it was true. I very much doubt it. Firstly I don't think Halsey said it, Secondly I don't think he would say it even if it was true, Thirdly I don't see how a ref could make enough money on spot fixing to make it worthwhile, Fourthly any bookie finding a ref betting on the sport would be straight round to the authorities to get him struck off.
Halsey has a history of running his mouth.........

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:38 am

It's still not a practical proposition. How can anyone make more money than an annual PL ref's salary on small time betting, without the bookie finding out, and without having a large team to help?

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:51 am

Well no sh1t sherlock.
We have all known this for years. Even if you didn’t know already you saw evidence of it on Monday. Not just the refs who are biased but the fa and premier league too. The motivator for this bias? Money.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:03 am

I said the other day this small group of elite referees was the wrong way to go. They get cozy-cozy with their favourites and, even if not deliberately, they favour them.
The biggest problem though is that these elite referees make major errors week after week. The old system of 1 home and 1 away game per season was much better IMO.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:58 am

Prem refs follow orders. Some clubs are wanted in prem, to maximise wealth. Others, like small town teams, are definitely not.
These 3 users liked this post: bobinho Masham Ale Stayingup

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:00 am

dsr wrote:
Yeah... except it's probably the bookies paying him.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am

You have to question not only the competence of that last ref but his impartiality. Almost all of the marginal calls went to Leeds and it showed in the frustration of the Burnley players. I felt at the time that he had an alternative agenda and that feeling has intensified over the past 24 hours.
These 2 users liked this post: CleggHall paulatky

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:27 am

CaptJohn wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 am
You have to question not only the competence of that last ref but his impartiality. Almost all of the marginal calls went to Leeds and it showed in the frustration of the Burnley players. I felt at the time that he had an alternative agenda and that feeling has intensified over the past 24 hours.
You can imagine the telephone conversation 30 minutes before kick off... "Its your fave nephew Robert here. Don't worry Uncle Mick I will ensure a Leeds Victory"

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:18 am

Halsey building up a few more false stories for his after dinner speaking is he?

And for what it's worth, my view is that Jones was just shocking, not biased.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:18 am
Halsey building up a few more false stories for his after dinner speaking is he?

Nail on the head,he wasn't biased he is just absolutely clueless about the game!

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 am

There is always a fine line between useless and biased
Mark Clattenburg always favoured perceived 'big" teams and awarded decisions accordingly
But in certain games its clear that some refs favour one side.The pillock at the Leeds game was useless and biased a very deadly combination

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:44 am

i think the way certain managers talk about our "physicality" could easily infuence referees who may be on the lookout for our perceived rough play.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:46 am

The referee was that bad i actually couldn't watch the game he was that incompetent i went out for a walk,i knew there was absolutely no way were we going to get anything out of the game,my elderly mum could have officiated better,there is a big difference between bias & incompetent......this guy was totally out of his depth!
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am

dsr wrote:
I am sure your cleverer than that. There was a story in the papers a few years ago where the drive of a ref was replaced with a very nice fancy new one . Allegedly paid for by a club owner.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am

ClaretTony wrote:

If he has said or implied this then it completely discredits him and any of his views on the refereeing of the modern game.

I have openly disagreed with pretty much everyone on here on the decisions Jones made on Sunday but I can accept the above views from CT and others that they think he had a shocking game and was useless (whilst disagreeing) but what I cant accept is that refs are biased and corrupt which is what some posters on here seem to genuinely think

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am
..... but what I cant accept is that refs are biased and corrupt which is what some posters on here seem to genuinely think
There's actually a difference between being biased and corrupt.
It's possible to be unconsciously biased, and I'm sure we see this sometimes. Naturally this will tend to favour the bigger teams.
(Mike Dean would be the exception here, who often seems to almost enjoy winding up the bigger clubs, and superficially at least seems to be a good omen for us)
I don't however believe that there is widespread corruption amongst officials as some claim.
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: scouseclaret Zlatan

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:04 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:28 am
The pillock at the Leeds game was useless and biased a very deadly combination
You want to be very careful making accusations like that. One referee a couple of years ago sued someone making a comment like that. It was settled out of court. I suggest you will need to find yourself some proof or maybe you should retract that comment.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am

ClaretTony wrote:

A shocking ref is one thing, but what about the VAR? Supposedly one of the country's top officials. The length of time he took to uphold the penalty decision hardly suggests due consideration of the evidence.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:14 am

scouseclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 am
A shocking ref is one thing, but what about the VAR? Supposedly one of the country's top officials. The length of time he took to uphold the penalty decision hardly suggests due consideration of the evidence.
Absolutely - but then you get Dermot Gallagher on TV yesterday. He thought there's was a pen and ours wasn't. He thought Jones' one mistake was to blow too early because it cost us a goal. What Oliver thought we'll never know. Maybe he thought he got them both wrong but neither were clear and obvious.

Eyres_11
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Eyres_11 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:17 am

Its simple really. The Premier League dont want us here. BT/SKY etc have much much more money to make with advertising by showing the 'bigger clubs' - companies will pay more to advertise on Leeds v Liverpool for example than Burnley V West Brom.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:41 am

Referees are not permitted to bet on football from step 6 of the non league game upwards
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 am

Is there a link provided for this? If not, it's a total nonsense of a thread. "A statement"? Where?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:48 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am
There's actually a difference between being biased and corrupt.
It's possible to be unconsciously biased, and I'm sure we see this sometimes. Naturally this will tend to favour the bigger teams.
(Mike Dean would be the exception here, who often seems to almost enjoy winding up the bigger clubs, and superficially at least seems to be a good omen for us)
I don't however believe that there is widespread corruption amongst officials as some claim.
I agree that as refs are only human beings they will definitely be things that impact their decisions unconsciously but this is not the bias that most on here are accusing refs of being. A lot of posters think that refs go into games with a bias for or against certain clubs and make there decisions because of that bias and whilst that is different to being corrupt I still do not accept that this is the case.

Living in Leeds I know Leeds fans who are just like the posters on here who for years have felt the refs were biased against them because everybody hates Leeds and the Premier League wanted to keep them out. Our fans think the Premier League love Leeds and want teams like us out of the league.

Its the exact same nonsense from all fans who just see themselves as the victims because of their own blinkered biased view
These 5 users liked this post: dpinsussex dsr nil_desperandum Ashingtonclaret46 Claret

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:50 am

He’s got previous for being something of a gobshite, to quote my Irish relatives, but can’t see where this has been gleaned from.

He did cause a bit of a fuss re incidents being deliberately missed but this was a few years ago https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndicat ... s.amp.html

Madpete
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Madpete » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 pm

It’s a really difficult job reffing & they get two out of three decisions correct but if you believe the statistics put out by the refs body it’s well over 90% correct! I know what I believe but as long as the technology is overseen by the refs themselves nothing will change or if it does it’s at a snails pace.What sticks in my craw is that we watching can see exactly what the correct decision should be & the ref doing the VAR cannot.All refs get better as they progress in their experience & are at their best just before retirement.We all have opinions but when a consensus is reached through the tv programme & the officials give a polar opposite view then surely something is wrong.My view is take the technology off the refs & give it to a new body that is more disinterested & neutral...I live in hope!

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:20 pm

FAO Claret Tony
Re my comments about refereeing standards on the Leeds game
Thanks for your advice I appreciate the free legal comments

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:23 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 am
We'd all love to believe that our beautiful game is squeaky clean. The Spot Fixing does sound plausible and would be easy when dealing with yellow cards. Perhaps someone needs to set up a task force to look into it ;)

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:27 pm

I’d bin VAR, refs don’t get a huge amount wrong in the main and neither do linesmen. Some of the offsides correctly given are incredible when the game is moving so fast. VAR is only enjoyable when you’re on the wrong end of a decision and there’s a chance of overturning it but it sucks all the spontaneity out of the game/celebrations.

As for Sunday, I don’t think that it was a penalty to them but I can understand the debate. Everything about our “goal” was wrong though, it was never a foul by Ben Mee and the goal should have stood. Failing that it should have been a penalty for excessive force. How many free kicks have we seen given when a player is jumping from a standing position and it clattered by a centre half coming in at speed. I don’t agree with that but the fact that the keeper led with his knee made it dangerous for me.
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb Claret

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:04 am
I suggest you will need to find yourself some proof or maybe you should retract that comment.
The impression that he was incompetent and biased was clear for all to see. He'd add "simple" to his traits if he tried going to Court with that one.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Some bizarre comments on this thread, do people genuinely think that refs are corrupt? I don't believe that and unless posters have any proof it's a serious allegation to band around.

Was the Jones guy useless-YES.

Was he on the take-NO.

I know we're all annoyed by the Leeds game, but we need to move on, SD has had his say, and a very public say it was, if we continue to carp on about it, many neutrals will just think we're bad losers, and there's also the chance that we'll influence officials to award 50/50 calls against us even more.

The bigger question for me is why Jones is still considered fit to referee at this level, it appears whatever many posters on this forum, and the pundits & social media think, that the PL are happy with Robert Jones and his performance last Saturday, it does make you wonder how bad a day a referee has to have before they're demoted to the Championship or below.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:06 pm

"Fantastic referee that would absolutely stand out now as one of the best referees. if there was more mark Halseys about the game would be in a better place."

Tbe words of who?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:17 pm

You can argue the toss about whether or not they are biased or on the take or whatever.

One thing that is for sure is that he booked Burnley players when they won the ball in a challenge or when someone fouled. A Leeds player for a similar offence was not booked.

Leeds were given a penalty for a good ball winning challenge by our keeper. Leeds were given a free kick for a foul by their keeper. Bit of a theme here.

What is interesting is that we always thought refs were influenced by home crowds....given there was no crowd at the game this referee was influenced by something else. What that is would be anyone’s guess but the one thing I do know is that the referee should not be mainly responsible for the result of a match. The ref at Leeds was just that...and I don’t buy that he was just inept. I’ve seen plenty of inept refs being consistently inept for both teams.

claretburns
Been Liked: 848 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Heard a podcast with Halsey where he was the ref in the 1999 play off final between Gillingham and Man City and after the game he went out with loads of City fans and he was dancing on tables in the club whilst City fans were giving him money, always been a dodgy guy.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I’m certainly not going to suggest that specific referees are corrupt as that would be wrong. However I’m not naive enough to say that corruption is not possible, especially when you consider the amount of money flowing through the game these days. Just because it’s not heard of, does not mean that it does not exist - it just means it’s not been detected.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:11 pm

I've been to an evening with Mark Hslsey, and although you cannot believe everything someone says as gospel, they were certainly a few stories that you could relate to in terms of referees and how they het to certain decisions.
Now it will be less easier to get away with due to the amount of cameras at matches and media coverage, but no doubt somethings still happen.

The niggly free kicks for and against are great ways of breaking up play/momentum or letting certain things go allowing teams to break away or build an attack.

You see it all the time, and happens several times a game.
You can guarantee the majority of those go to the bigger clubs and are only served to help get the favoured team the required result.

Edit - just to add, Halsey told stories when he did similar in games to punish certain players he had history with, didnt like or had given him abuse beyond in match banter.
Says many refs shared stories of doing similar or worse...

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:21 pm

The only thing that stood out as far as I was concerned on Sunday was the fact that the officials are doing their job as per directives from their bosses and that, at PL level, they are using a different interpretation of The Laws of the Game to be used when VAR is used, than they do in the rest of league football.
The only thing is that, without VAR, the penalty would still have been given, wrongly in my view, much like Howard Webb awarding one for Man United v Spurs in April 2009 which certainly helped United clinch the title and that Webb considers that as the decision which has haunted him ever since because he was wrong because the keeper touched the ball. The incident with Ben Mee would still have been given as a foul by Mee, again a decision which was bordering on criminal. It was just poor refereeing and he was consistently poor as Ashley Westwood let him know.

I do wonder just how many officials have played the game at a decent level, even as youngsters, because these decisions should not have been made by someone who really knows the game. In both cases the referee blew very quickly and this meant that VAR could not get involved in the Mee incident and that the referee will have told VAR that he was positive about the penalty and, as I have found from the referees' board which I frequent, many thought that he was spot on and that it could not be considered as a clear and obvious error. They stuck to this even after I posted a still of the ball hitting Nick's shin and rebounding into the field of play --something which, as an official, should have raised warning signs for the referee because you should always look at the direction of travel of the ball ---there is no way that it could have travelled the way it did without Nick having played it! In the still photograph, Nick is on one knee with leg outstretched and Bamford has just played the ball with studs up and there is only one player in danger in this incident, however, the modern game dictates differently.
Enjoy folks because it isn't going to get any better.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm

MACCA wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:11 pm
I've been to an evening with Mark Hslsey, and although you cannot believe everything someone says as gospel, they were certainly a few stories that you could relate to in terms of referees and how they het to certain decisions.
Now it will be less easier to get away with due to the amount of cameras at matches and media coverage, but no doubt somethings still happen.

The niggly free kicks for and against are great ways of breaking up play/momentum or letting certain things go allowing teams to break away or build an attack.

You see it all the time, and happens several times a game.
You can guarantee the majority of those go to the bigger clubs and are only served to help get the favoured team the required result.

Edit - just to add, Halsey told stories when he did similar in games to punish certain players he had history with, didnt like or had given him abuse beyond in match banter.
Says many refs shared stories of doing similar or worse...

Absolutely, from a personal perspective, I've played and captained at a half decent level and always made sure I built up a good friendly relationship with officials (asking about family and other interests etc.). Things almost always went in my favour

Refs are human. Their decisions get swayed by emotion.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:46 am
The referee was that bad i actually couldn't watch the game he was that incompetent i went out for a walk,i knew there was absolutely no way were we going to get anything out of the game,my elderly mum could have officiated better,there is a big difference between bias & incompetent......this guy was totally out of his depth!
Its reported that he actually said to Sean Dyche that he thought he'd had a good game. If he really thought that then you are spot and he's way out of his depth. Keith Hackett suggested the same.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:36 pm
Its reported that he actually said to Sean Dyche that he thought he'd had a good game. If he really thought that then you are spot and he's way out of his depth. Keith Hackett suggested the same.
Yea read on Facebook what Hackett had to say he wasnt impressed

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:36 pm
To be fair, that was before he had had chance to see the video of the big incidents. Mind you, the rest of the game he was poor as well.