Rebranding Burnley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Rebranding Burnley

Post by clarethomer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Who says they won’t move the ground, they are buying the club to make money, no other reason. Please don’t forget that.
If the process of selling Turf Moor for say £10m (as its worth very little as anything else than housing) and then spending 10-20x that on a brand new stadium is how they intend to make money - we are have seriously overestimated the business sense these people have.

We also have the small problem of planning permission that is required and the location of the ground probably supports the local economy so moving this way from the centre of town is unlikely to go down well with businesses locally either.

You are right in terms of they are in this to make money but I just don't think they intend to make it in the way you think they will. Hopefully their plan will be a little more sophisticated via a medium to long term plan of spending money where it is needed and attracting money in the right way - i.e. through good recruitment of players, better sponsorship deals, increased commercials on match day etc.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:00 pm
I admit, I know absolutely zero about the takeover.
I hope it goes well for the club.

I have a slight fear it might not.
Me too. Maybe thats the cynic in me.... and the repeated use of the word "investment".

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3194 times
Has Liked: 1875 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:06 pm
If the process of selling Turf Moor for say £10m (as its worth very little as anything else than housing) and then spending 10-20x that on a brand new stadium is how they intend to make money - we are have seriously overestimated the business sense these people have.

We also have the small problem of planning permission that is required and the location of the ground probably supports the local economy so moving this way from the centre of town is unlikely to go down well with businesses locally either.

You are right in terms of they are in this to make money but I just don't think they intend to make it in the way you think they will. Hopefully their plan will be a little more sophisticated via a medium to long term plan of spending money where it is needed and attracting money in the right way - i.e. through good recruitment of players, better sponsorship deals, increased commercials on match day etc.
Wasn’t one of our “selling points” that we are located central to the community and town centre (sure I read that somewhere)

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:21 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:09 pm
Wasn’t one of our “selling points” that we are located central to the community and town centre (sure I read that somewhere)
I think CT and DJW have both said in broad terms that ALK like the location of the club in terms of being close to the town. I don't know anything about the buyers or their plans but buying land and building a new stadium is not the way to make a 'quick buck'.

I can imagine the following all being considered....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48336453 - This talks about naming rights and missed opportunity in the PL.

Using our academy to develop players with a strategy of - letting go those not good enough, selling those good enough but not good enough for us and bring through those who are good enough.

Developing match day commercial packages.

Helping bring more businesses into the area to increase affluence over the longer term which then affords more spending within the town etc.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm
The James Hargreaves Stadium. How a tiny business has its name on the Main Stand for all these years baffles me tbh.
Indeed..and it is that kind of thinking and ambition that will be challenged. We can expect to see some very different and innovative kinds of sponsorship from now on i think. Time to open up to the world.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:33 pm

My ex brother in law was the marketing director for the FA. He had a company car off one of the sponsors.
We discussed the huge amounts of money companies paid for various tiers of sponsorship and I asked the question " do you go out looking for and talking to potential sponsors" ?
His answer was that he employed a secretary just to field off phone calls and emails from companies all over the world trying to get their products / company onto the waiting list.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:01 pm

It would be interesting to know how many Premier league clubs have moved grounds, I am not an expect on it, so perhaps CT could chip in. Some of these might be a guess and wrong.
Man City.
Arsenal
Chelsea
West Ham, debatable, think they got promoted in the season before.
Spurs
Brighton , moved but not sure which league they in.
Coventry, think it was in the Prem, could be wrong.
Hull moved, not sure what league they were in.

Probably some wrong and some missed.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:01 pm
I'm surprised it is only a slight fear to be honest. You are not the most positive.
I think I am miss understood.
Positive about investments, currently up 6%.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:06 pm

I'd be surprised if Turf Moor would fetch anything like £10m for housing .... demolition costs would be substantial, brown field site, and it's not exactly in an exclusive residential area, with all due respect ...

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:54 pm
I'd be surprised if Turf Moor would fetch anything like £10m for housing .... demolition costs would be substantial, brown field site, and it's not exactly in an exclusive residential area, with all due respect ...
Im no expert on land value - clearly but you are only proving my point further in that there is no money to be made in selling the ground.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

WalkdenClaret
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by WalkdenClaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:10 pm

RammyClaret61 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:18 am
So what colour seats do you propose for the second tier on the Bob Lord?!? :lol:
Attachments
bezos.jpg
bezos.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 878 times

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 am

I would expect us to be selling the naming rights to Turf Moor, that's advertising every other game that goes global. Apparently Brighton's deal with Amex is worth just over 8 million a year. I would hope that we could get at least that for a shirt and stadium sponsorship deal.

Clearly all our advertising is very much local, or at best UK or betting based. I'm sure we'll see a more global approach with some international brands.

There is no point adding capacity because the return on the investment just needs too much time. The only extra capacity we need is for corporate.

I wouldn't be surprised if our pre-season takes us over the pond to "increase our profile".

In terms of branding our history is a great asset I wouldn't expect us to try and move away from Burnley or "the clarets" but we don't have an immediately identifiable shirt like Arsenal or Man Utd so perhaps emphasising the Claret and reducing the blue so that it becomes less like Villa and West Ham.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 am

I don't care if thy re-name the bogs to the Ronald MacDonald Urinary section as long as the pot Dyche has to **** in is bigger than the one he currently has

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:27 am

dibraidio wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:15 am
I would expect us to be selling the naming rights to Turf Moor, that's advertising every other game that goes global. Apparently Brighton's deal with Amex is worth just over 8 million a year. I would hope that we could get at least that for a shirt and stadium sponsorship deal.

Clearly all our advertising is very much local, or at best UK or betting based. I'm sure we'll see a more global approach with some international brands.

There is no point adding capacity because the return on the investment just needs too much time. The only extra capacity we need is for corporate.

I wouldn't be surprised if our pre-season takes us over the pond to "increase our profile".

In terms of branding our history is a great asset I wouldn't expect us to try and move away from Burnley or "the clarets" but we don't have an immediately identifiable shirt like Arsenal or Man Utd so perhaps emphasising the Claret and reducing the blue so that it becomes less like Villa and West Ham.
And more like Hearts...

Don’t have an immediately identifiable shirt? Ok, so we get asked dumb ass questions by some ****** up dickhead in a bar whilst on holiday... come on that’s hardly representative is it?
Claret AND blue is who we are. And the last ten seasons or so have made us much more identifiable. The corporate capacity we currently have is just like our ground.... it’s currently too big for us. The Jimmy Mac corporate suites are dead on match day.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 am

Looking forward to seeing what the Americans have planned, should be lots of noses out of joint soon enough