Barry Kilby and the departing directors

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: Barry Kilby and the departing directors

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Burnley has been very fortunate that it's more able and wealthy citizens have, throughout the club's existence, stepped forward, to do their 'duty'.

I salute all those directors for looking out for the town and its club.

A special thank you for recent directors, who have helped us return to the Premier league and stay there.

Best wishes to them for a healthy future.

Welcome 'new folks'. Never forget, this is Burnley, not Barcelona!

Thanks to Sean Dyche and his staff and team, who continue to defy gravity.

To us all - Up the Clarets.
These 3 users liked this post: The Enclosure Bosscat Suratclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm

News confirmed that the five directors have now departed Burnley FC

https://www.uptheclarets.com/former-cha ... departures
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Barry is a great man always ready to chat about all things Burnley! Good luck to all the directors and thank you to them all for transforming our great club back to the top league in the country. Barry will always be remembered by Burnley fans for everything he has done and all the great times he has delivered whilst he has been part of the club. UTC
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Pad1951
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Pad1951 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Thank you Mr Kilby and his fellow directors for looking after our great football club. Hope that Mr Pace and his team continue to look after and respect the traditions of our great club.
UTC.

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:08 pm

I echo all the above sentiments but also would like to specifically mention Clive Holt who I met years ago through a mutual friend when Clive and Sylvia came to Crete on holiday. I lent my friend a Claret and Blue Union Jack which he put on Clive's bed as a surprise, then later met him personally when invited for dinner. I was a bit awestruck but he's a very down to earth guy and we became friends. Before I met Clive when I was a season ticket holder I always saw him at the reserve team games which he regularly attended, which I respected. When he found out I could read Greek and was handy with the internet he asked me to keep an eye on Dimitri Papadopoulos's appearances for Panathanaikos as the Greek club were being a bit cagey and not letting BFC know as it affected the transfer fee. He will be a big loss to BFC as well, Clive, not Dimi.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:11 pm

Dave Edmundson has suggested Barry be made Honorary President. Not a bad shout at all.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:15 pm

A big memory for me... sitting int chairman's room eating a fish and chip lunch with BK and Tony discussing the relative merits of the Bread Bin Stand or the Football University when they were at ideas stage. My two penn'worth was to say I wouldn't risk money on the Football University... so that shows how much I know.

GeorgeBoydsHeadBand
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by GeorgeBoydsHeadBand » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Whilst on the flight to Aberdeen, Barry Kilby allowed a photo opportunity and we got chatting about a friend, who at that time had just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer through one of Barry Kilby’s testing events. Barry without hesitation asked about our friends name and details and asked to be kept informed as to his progress. Barry invited our friend down to Burnley’s training ground and gave him full access as well as making our friend feel special.
Unfortunately our friend past away, Barry Kilby stood outside as his coffin past our beloved Turf Moor.
What Barry Kilby has done for Burnley FC and for so many other people, not just within the town of Burnley, he is in my opinion a very special individual who should be honoured.
My father and brother both have Prostate Cancer and are fighting their individual battles. Barry Kilby has contributed to their recovery through his prostate cancer charity.
Barry Kilby and the other directors of Burnley FC, I can never thank you for the many happy memories you have helped create in being a Claret. Good, bad or indifferent, it’s my ‘happy place’
Burnley forever. UTC
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Rodleydave wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:15 pm
A big memory for me... sitting int chairman's room eating a fish and chip lunch with BK and Tony discussing the relative merits of the Bread Bin Stand or the Football University when they were at ideas stage. My two penn'worth was to say I wouldn't risk money on the Football University... so that shows how much I know.
I've always been told Garlick was the one who was very much against investing in UCFB. Whether that was right or wrong at the time I don't know. The fish and chips were good though.

Rodleydave

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Clive too...big loss... he knows where every skeleton is buried at the club... and it was he that oversaw the building of the two new stands and questioned every penny that the contractors overcharged.
These 4 users liked this post: kritichris cricketfieldclarets Ashingtonclaret46 k90bfc

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Unsure if Dave Thomas still posts on here, but it would be fantastic to get a memoirs book out of the likes of Clive Holt (I vaguely remember him doing an interview with him on Clarets Mad long ago, but may be misremembering) and Barry.

I bet Clive and Barry have some amazing stories having seen such a long period of change.

Rodleydave

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Dave Thomas does indeed still post on here I think, he has just finished one book and has just started one about the John Bond period. But yes indeed a Clive book if he spilled a few beans and uncovered all the skeletons would be very illuminating.
These 6 users liked this post: bodge Wokingclaret GaryClaret gawthorpe_view Ashingtonclaret46 conyoviejo

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:29 pm

The only real worry for me regarding the takeover is that the all departing directors were and still are massive Burnley fans who had their hearts and souls in the club. My brother and I attended the 1962 FA Cup Final with one of the departing directors, Brian Nelson. Like his father Tommy before him, Brian is a lifelong Burnley fan and, in his short time as a Burnley director, he has done an excellent job.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:50 pm

A working title for the Clive book should be "Holt, who goes there ?" with a picture of the flying jacket as the front cover.

Thanks to BK and all the Directors who have departed, i sit close to the Directors box so it'll be interesting to see who will be there.

It's a real shame the pandemic has stopped the prostate clinics, which is a fine testament to the mark of the man.

Here's hoping they start again in 2021.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Would just like to echo all the positive comments.
I remember chatting to Clive Holt at a youth game.
The way he told it , if we lost the Orient game the club would have folded. He certainly felt he was instrumental in to convincing all the directors to put in (think it was ) £2,000 to keep the club afloat over the summer.

No matter what the truth , they presided over a monumental rise in the fortunes of the club.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG k90bfc

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:54 pm

Rodleydave wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:28 pm
Dave Thomas does indeed still post on here I think, he has just finished one book and has just started one about the John Bond period. But yes indeed a Clive book if he spilled a few beans and uncovered all the skeletons would be very illuminating.
That’s great to hear, I absolutely love his work.

If anyone knows Dave well, please pass on my thoughts on a ‘Tales from the Board Room’ tome with the associated musings of those that have just left. It would be superb!

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:00 pm

I think that the club would also have been in serious trouble had we not won the Play-Off Final against Sheffield United...

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:06 pm

My aunt tripped in the ticket office and fell quite badly. Barry saw it and helped her at the time. Which in itself is nice... but a couple of days later some flowers arrived from him wishing her a full recovery. Now that is class. We’ve been lucky to have such a gentleman play such a prominent role for so many years.
These 3 users liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris MT03ALG jedi_master

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:44 pm

Was Clive holt a southerner. I feel like I met him. Possibly at an orient event possibly in 2007 or 12?

But sure he was an ‘adopted’ claret. Not that there’s anything wrong with that just trying to picture him. Short with glasses?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:54 pm
That’s great to hear, I absolutely love his work.

If anyone knows Dave well, please pass on my thoughts on a ‘Tales from the Board Room’ tome with the associated musings of those that have just left. It would be superb!
I think that is Dave T!

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:14 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 am
I sincerely hope he gets a free pass to each and every home and away game.

It's the very least that our incredible hero deserves.

What a great and gracious man - we are forever in his debt.

Thanks for everything Barry, and UP YOUR CLARETS.
Glad you didn't put an S on your second to last word or you would have been drummed out of town.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:20 pm

Although I don’t know Barry Kilby personally, whenever our paths crossed he always greeted me as though he was a friend of mine, he is an easy person to like and I wish him well and hope to thank him in person one day.

UTC

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm

I think Clive was born in Gravesend, but IS still a Southerner. I can’t think of the Company name of the firm he was involved in next to the canal at Barden Lane.
Clive’s wife Sylvia went to a lot of matches home and away together.
He often made business trips to Arab countries and did his level best, trying to get them to invest in the club, around the 80s/90s.
I know Clive got a very senior exec of a national concrete mix company, who is a massive Burnley fan, based down the South, to do a very good price on all the concrete used in the 2 stands, which saved the Club a lot of money.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:38 pm

Was a director at Mann & Hummel / Vokes Air I think

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:04 pm
He’s a year younger than Dobbo. Barry is 72 in Jan while Dobbo is 73 in Feb. Both good footballers although Barry only made it to the youth team at Burnley.

Two brilliant people who we should be proud to have associated with our club.
Let’s get it right CT.......
He was a regular first teamer.........at UTD

Read Utd.

And a top bloke.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:42 pm
Let’s get it right CT.......
He was a regular first teamer.........at UTD

Read Utd.

And a top bloke.
Think he played for Padiham & Great Harwood as well.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:56 pm

bodge wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:50 pm
A working title for the Clive book should be "Holt, who goes there ?" with a picture of the flying jacket as the front cover.
Haha very good. I hope he does spill the beans about his time as a director, I'm sure it would be a good read.

Rodleydave

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:00 pm

The new board... Alan Pace, Mike Garlick, John B...
Do Pace's associates Mike Smith and Stuart Hunt also join the board?

prettygreenclaret
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by prettygreenclaret » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:27 pm

DIdn't CH own Interfilta many years ago on Rossendale Rd. Industrial Estate? Think that may have morphed into the names mentioned above at some point.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:39 pm

Just been reading that Barry Kilby paid for Steve Davis to return from Luton out of his own money.
Top man if true.

The rumour at the time was Luton never paid us our transfer fee so we took him back.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:39 pm
Just been reading that Barry Kilby paid for Steve Davis to return from Luton out of his own money.
Top man if true.

The rumour at the time was Luton never paid us our transfer fee so we took him back.
He was just taking over as chairman at the time and about to invest the money into the club with the new share issue so in effect the money would have come from him. Remember over a short period with Barry involved we signed Paul Crichton, Ally Pickering, Steve Davis, Graham Branch, Micky Mellon and Lenny Johnrose.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 pm
He was just taking over as chairman at the time and about to invest the money into the club with the new share issue so in effect the money would have come from him. Remember over a short period with Barry involved we signed Paul Crichton, Ally Pickering, Steve Davis, Graham Branch, Micky Mellon and Lenny Johnrose.
I remember that well. Seemed so weird to be making so many signings and especially of such relative quality. How I feel now.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:07 pm

I’m not sure anyone should be singled out as it appears disrespectful in my eyes but thank you too all involved over the last period. Much appreciated

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:07 pm

I will always regard Barry Kilby with high esteem. I can honestly say that I don't think I would be sat here today typing my appreciation of what Barry has done for the club and for the men associated with the Clarets but for him organising his Prostate testing sessions. As some of you know from my previous posts, I found out that I had prostate cancer only because of being tested at Turf Moor. Thankfully my last consultation on December 29th confirmed continuous clear PSA after my prostatectomy and now I'm sat here waiting for the birth of my 3rd grandchild in the next few hours. I hope that represents a real testimony to Barry's work. Thank you Barry and Sonia for your support and caring. Hopefully there will be more testing sessions in the future - so here is a timely reminder to anyone dubious about getting a PSA test DO it could save YOUR life too !!!!
These 4 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo Andingle bodge ClaretTony

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:38 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:00 am
It looks from tonight's press release that Barry Kilby, Clive Holt, Brian Nelson, Terry Crabb and Brendan Flood will be leaving the board.

I'd like to thank them for their contributions and I'm sure four of them won't mind if I single out Barry Kilby. We owe him so much. I don't know where we would have been had he not joined the board in late 1998. His dad Roy was a massive Claret who never missed a match home and away until he sadly passed away far too soon. I've got to know Barry well and if and when I next speak to him I'll personally thank him.
140 likes up to now Tony, I think if and when you get to speak to Barry you need to thank him from each and every one of us....he's one of us.