Who will be the first signing under ALK

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Who will be the first signing under ALK

Post by taio » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:22 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:09 pm
And so...it begins...

We're now going to be out-muscling ACMilan, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal and Chelsea in pursuit of young players...and about to bin off our maximum wage policy.

Tarks is going to stick around on a lucrative 3 year deal.

I think we need to recommence operation "lower expectations" before some folk end up in straight jackets. There's gonna be plenty of real nuggets on here before the window ends.
Seems like an overreaction based on what's on this thread.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:34 pm

I’m sure I am not alone in that I would be far more concerned if we started to be linked with random big money moves.

Fortunately I see no sign that we are looking to become big shots overnight.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:41 pm

I think many fans are underestimating the possibility that the new owners may want to keep Dyche but under their modus operandi, either a Director of Football or having different people calling the shots on transfers. Assuming we will carry on thinking about Jones and Worrall may prove inaccurate.

On the other hand, the board may feel it is too soon for them to start changing things and at least one decent signing of Dyche's choice will be thought necessary as a gesture of intent. Worrall is a good shout if so.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:45 pm

taio wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:22 pm
Seems like an overreaction based on what's on this thread.
Or just a fairly accurate observation?

taio

Post by taio » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:47 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:45 pm
Or just a fairly accurate observation?
No.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 pm

taio wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:47 pm
No.
Well, you may disagree, but there's some speculation which clearly is fantasy. And he is right to point it out.
for all we know there is no money available in this window or the next.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

taio

Post by taio » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:54 pm
Well, you may disagree, but there's some speculation which clearly is fantasy. And he is right to point it out.
for all we know there is no money available in this window or the next.
I do disagree but perhaps you can explain who said we're now going to be out-muscling ACMilan, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal and Chelsea in pursuit of young players? I think the poster simply suggested a Championship player with an £8m release clause without being aware of other apparent interest. How does that translate into him saying we are going to out-muscle those clubs?
Last edited by taio on Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: alboclaret

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:03 pm

A winger hopefully with a bit of pace and a good cross and excellent fitness record, even though the last bit means nothing they can still get an injury.
I don't think ALK coming in that we are suddenly going to become a billionaire club, peeing money up the wall for fun. I think SD will have his thoughts on this but also think the new owners being who they are will have targets that they may have already scouted having an idea of the positions/cover that we need. Whether we get any first team starters is another question, I think any buys will be cover or bench warmers.
And to be honest anyone I would suggest would be from FIFA 20 :D

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:09 pm

The Enclosure wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 pm
would like Pace to sit Tarks down and explain his vision for the club going forward and convince him to stay with the Clarets for at least 3 years..Make it financially attractive for him to stay also.
If tarks ends up Leicester bound or even higher with a club with CL status, no amount of sweet talk will convince him to extend when your mind is made up it’s gone, the amount needed to financially match what the others would offer wouldn’t be doable really you would shattering an established wage structure to keep 1 player happy & setting an unhealthy precedent that could lead to further problems later on.

Spike
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Kieran Trippier

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:32 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
And so...it begins...

We're now going to be out-muscling ACMilan, Spurs, Leeds, Arsenal and Chelsea in pursuit of young players...and about to bin off our maximum wage policy.

I think we need to recommence operation "lower expectations" before some folk end up in straight jackets. There's gonna be plenty of real nuggets on here before the window ends.
Quoted 8m just over release clause

If the new board can make the wages work, why not?

Fits the buy cheapish sell high.model.
Playing regularly in championship
Play either wing. More.likely to get regular football at Burnley given ournfragile wingers
Better option than top club signing him and sitting him reserves

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:45 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
And so...it begins...

I have to admit that I've held back on being too scathing/negative, but I really do think there will be a lot of disappointed posters on here in the future.

Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it will become.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 am

I think our new investors will define the word shrewd.

People seem to think that because of the data analysis link we’ll be buying lots of untried moneyball potential. Quick road to failure if you don’t do it right, Doesn’t make sense from a business point of view and let’s face it, these investors are businessmen.

Nor is SD handing over a list of 8 thirtyish seasoned pros he wants AP to sign and we go get them. Doesn’t make financial sense to the investors.

I can see a nice, well researched medium where we’ll sign a seasoned pro if the finances are not daft and he’ll have an immediate effect, but also younger, straight into the team players if we think the moneys worth it and a couple of “gambits” who we don’t lose much on if they don’t pan out.

Also Interesting Mancini came to us “on loan” in October right about the time the ALK thing heated up and *also interesting he was on the bench the other day. 🤷
This user liked this post: Quicknick

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:37 am

Duncan Watmore
But may not be the first as still contracted to Boro for some days

BenWickes
Been Liked: 645 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by BenWickes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:39 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:34 pm
I’m sure I am not alone in that I would be far more concerned if we started to be linked with random big money moves.

Fortunately I see no sign that we are looking to become big shots overnight.
Certainly won't be handing over silly money. It'll be a long term, strategic improvement at all levels. That said. We'll be fishing in a bigger lake than under MG's tenure. Think about players just out of reach who we wouldn't have been able to compete for before.
Some will be pleasantly surprised. Dyche will have a wish list anyway and ALK will be able to fund some, not all; of them where the past board couldn't
You'll see that over a longer term. This window you will see signings though and I would go out on a limb and say they'll be brought in relatively quickly. Mainly to flesh out the squad and have a competitive balance in weaker areas. They will want to be seen to back the manager.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Juan Tanamera

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:54 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:37 am
Duncan Watmore
But may not be the first as still contracted to Boro for some days
Think Big Sam is in for him.

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:42 am

Lifted from the Athletic. Some interesting profiles on here.
Also to say I didn’t realise Adrian Randall’s son was playing league football. Anymore from our 90’s era team coming through to add to Joel Randall and Harvey Barnes?

Boulaye Dia
Current club: Reims
Position: Forward
Possible cost: £12.5 million

Reims had enjoyed two prosperous seasons back in the French top flight, finishing eighth and then sixth, but this year has been more of a reality check. Hopes of making inroads in the Europa League were choked on penalties by Hungary’s Fehervar (the former Videoton), in the third qualifying round, and their domestic campaign to date has been a slog. They currently languish 15th, five points off the relegation places courtesy of a three-match unbeaten run, with the club’s president, Jean-Pierre Caillot, one of the game’s more vocal owners, warning of the financial implications of the collapse of Mediapro’s £3 billion broadcast deal. This is a club who may have to consider raising funds mid-season.

In that troubling context, at least they have an asset who will attract interest. Boulaye Dia, at 24, has been prolific this term. The Senegal international can operate wide or through the centre, and scored the club’s first top-flight hat-trick in 42 years in a 4-0 demolition of Montpellier in October. At present, only Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe (with 12 in 13) can better his 10 goals in 15 league appearances in 2020-21, with his form having earned him that first call-up in the autumn. “I’m really impressed with his qualities,” said Liverpool forward and international team-mate Sadio Mane after Senegal lost to Morocco in October, with Dia hitting the post in a 34-minute debut cameo. “He will not stay at Reims for long, believe me.”

Indeed, Dia might have left last summer when Lokomotiv Moscow and Italy’s Hellas Verona made approaches, though neither move appealed to the forward. Brighton & Hove Albion and Marseille, too, made enquiries. Now, on the back of the most productive spell of his career, the list of suitors grows ever longer.

The forward was approaching his 22nd birthday when finally offered his chance in the professional game and is far from the finished article. He was not academy-trained but developed in amateur football and, in truth, there were times when he must have resigned himself to the likelihood his shot had gone.

His had been a tale of missed opportunities. As a 12-year-old, he might have joined Saint-Etienne, only to miss a two-day trial after his father’s car broke down en route. Lyon assessed him shortly afterwards and were impressed, only to put him through a series of tests which determined the youngster was unlikely to grow sufficiently enough to thrive in the senior game. They duly dropped their interest. These days, he stands a shade under 6ft tall.

There was another trial, in Wales, a friend who played for Welsh league side Airbus UK Broughton inviting Dia over. Several clubs, apparently including Wrexham, were duly alerted to his talent, but the qualified electrician was not inclined to up sticks to a new country just yet and, instead, worked on building sites, home renovations and in a factory while playing part-time for lower-league sides Plastics Vallee FC and, eventually, Jura Sud. He took on the agent, Frederic Guerra, after an interview conducted in a McDonald’s and, as the goals flowed in French football’s fourth tier, Reims swiftly made their move with Lyon, no doubt cursing their original decision years before, again circling.

The last two and a half years have seen constant progression, with Reims now ready to sell to ease their cash-flow issues.

From West Bromwich Albion to Brighton, Premier League clubs lacking bite in attack are lining up.

Jordan Amavi
Current club: Marseille
Position: Left-back
Possible cost: £8 million (or free in the summer)

Amavi has already had a taste of English football. The then-Nice defender was signed by Aston Villa in the summer of 2015 for around £7.7 million and featured regularly under Tim Sherwood until suffering a season-ending torn ACL in his right knee with France Under-21s in the November. By the time he had recovered, Villa had been relegated, Sherwood’s replacement, Remi Garde, had already been sacked in favour of Roberto Di Matteo and the attack-minded Amavi was left to recover some rhythm in the Championship. Marseille were sufficiently impressed with his subsequent progress to pursue a loan move in the summer of 2017 which, after only five games back in Ligue 1, they made permanent for £8.2 million.

The full-back has thrived with regular involvement since. He established himself as a regular in a team that reached the 2018 Europa League final under Rudi Garcia, finished second under Andre Villas-Boas last term and, this time around, graced (albeit distinctly unsuccessfully) the Champions League group phase. There was a call up to Didier Deschamps’ senior France squad along the way, although no first cap to follow his 10 appearances at under-21 level.

Turning 27 in March, Amavi is a dynamic option on the left; all pace and energy, whose instincts are always to push on down the flank. His game time is invariably accompanied by a flash of cautionary yellow cards — there have been a few too many accompanying red ones down the years — but, for teams keen on utilising wing-backs or whose wide midfielders instinctively cut inside creating space down the flank for others, he would be an attractive, galloping option from deep.

Marseille, just as with Amavi’s team-mate Florian Thauvin, have not given up on convincing the left-back to stay at the Stade Velodrome. “(The sporting director) Pablo Longoria is speaking with his entourage about a contract extension,” said Villa-Boas in early December. “I hope that will be sorted out. He made a good start to the season despite a few errors and he’s still very much in our plans.” Fifth in Ligue 1 but with two games in hand, they will clearly be loath to lose him mid-season.

But, for now, they risk seeing him walk away for nothing at the end of June when his contract expires and, with that in mind, the player’s representatives have been sounding out potential suitors in the Premier League over recent months and gauging what interest might exist. His wage demands may dissuade some from pursuing a deal but there is talent and pedigree there. Amavi will be better placed to thrive in English football second time round, backed up by greater experience from this three-year stint in Marseille.

John Lundstram
Current club: Sheffield United
Position: Midfielder
Possible cost: £4 million (or free in the summer)

Lundstram was a surprise mainstay of Chris Wilder’s Sheffield United side last term as they set about a first Premier League season in 12 years with gusto, playing far more of a part than he had over the course of their Championship promotion campaign. The manager’s decision to ditch the No 10 role in favour of a flat three in midfield offered a route into the side that was seized by a midfielder schooled at Everton via loan spells across the lower divisions — Doncaster Rovers, Yeovil Town, Leyton Orient (twice), Blackpool and Scunthorpe United — before a successful two-year stint at Oxford United. He might well have left Bramall Lane in the summer of 2019 without that tweak in formation.

As it was, he established himself from the opening weekend of 2019-20 in a draw with Bournemouth, scoring a winner against Crystal Palace in the team’s first Premier League home game since May 2007, to become a top-flight regular; an eye-catching cog in a slick machine and a bargain who had been secured for only £700,000. He seemed to personify the industry and effort of this collective. His 26 starts reflected how integral he was as a newly-promoted club secured survival early and, just as lockdown was imposed and the campaign paused, were flirting with European qualification. Now, though, the mood has changed.

It has been evident for a while that there was little prospect of a player signed from League One and still on a Championship wage, albeit with promotion and survival bonuses presumably built in, would sign new terms beyond the end of the current season. United feared as much over the summer and were open to offers but no concrete interest materialised. Maybe suitors were put off by his current employers’ valuation — there had been some talk of an eight-figure price tag.

Lundstram will believe that, under freedom of contract, he can command a considerable wage package at his next club. He is 27 in February and clubs from the Premier League and Scotland, where table-topping Rangers are admirers, are waiting in the wings. As a free transfer, he might hope to earn closer to £40,000 a week.

All of which has left Wilder a rather helpless figure. “It’s been very frustrating for myself, personally,” the United manager said at the end of October. “We’d been in discussions for quite a number of months regarding him stopping here. We’ve offered him a very, very attractive contract. It’s up there with the top players at the club. He and his agent have made a decision that he doesn’t want to sign it.”

Lundstram has still started nine of the 16 league games so far and played in another three but has suffered along with the team and has been suspended since his dismissal at Brighton just before Christmas.

United will invite bids again this month, with his valuation dropping all the time. The Bramall Lane hierarchy will fear the player simply holds on for a free transfer switch in the summer.

Naatan Skytta
Current club: Ilves
Position: Attacking midfielder
Possible cost: £600,000

Skytta is only 18 but, having progressed through the junior ranks at Ilves, has already established himself in the first-team at the Finnish club. They were fifth, a point off the places for the new UEFA Conference League’s qualifying round, in the 12-team Veikkausliigat with five games to go when the league was cancelled in October as a result of the pandemic, with the midfielder’s contribution having generated rave reviews.

The teenager is skilful with a burst of pace, an eager dribbler given free rein to express himself by the coach, Jarkko Wiss. He scored seven times in 16 league games and was voted the nation’s most promising young player at the Finnish Football Association’s annual event in early December. Clubs across Europe have been alerted to his progress, with the likes of Midtjylland — with their close association with Brentford — and Nordsjaelland in Denmark, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord in the Netherlands, and suitors in the German Bundesliga now tracking his progress. A January move is anticipated, with Ilves, Skytta and the player’s representatives now exploring options.

There is interest from England, in the Championship and towards the top end of the Premier League, for a player who would be relatively cheap, though Skytta, who turns 19 in May, may prove to be one of the first deals that will require some post-Brexit improvisation if it is to be sealed. English clubs are no longer permitted to sign under-18s from Europe, though highly-rated foreign youngsters can potentially be “parked” at clubs on the continent with whom English sides have established link-ups until they are eligible. Manchester City have the City Football Group network and could potentially use Lommel in Belgium in this way. Watford, similarly, could use Italy’s Udinese.

Yet there will still have to be evidence of a pathway into the first team for an ambitious under-21 international with a bright future and who, despite having two years still to run on his contract in Finland, has a choice to make this month.

Arkadiusz Milik
Current club: Napoli
Possible cost: £15 million (or free in the summer)

Milik, a key performer over the last two seasons at Napoli, has been frozen out at his club to date this season over his reluctance to sign new terms, with his only football coming for Poland in the Nations League and friendly fixtures.

A striker who cost the club around £30 million from Ajax in 2016 had come close to joining Serie A rivals Roma over the summer and even underwent a medical in the Italian capital. It was suggested at the time that a contributory factor to that move breaking down had been an outstanding fine the player owed Napoli for unauthorised publicity and image use after he breached his contract by advertising a restaurant he owns back home in Katowice. That same restaurant, in conjunction with a local shopping mall, has been supplying meals for medical staff and locals at knockdown prices during the pandemic.

Milik has since admitted fault in the use of the image but bridges have clearly been burned. “Napoli wanted to renew my contract and told me either to sign or I’d be sold, so I decided to go elsewhere, to try something different,” he said once the window closed in the autumn. “There was plenty of interest and talks, but the pandemic complicated things. Everything was fine with Roma. The club even released a statement but it fell down in the last few hours of the market.”

His situation differs to that of right-back Elseid Hysaj, another player out of contract at Napoli in the summer but with whom talks are ongoing over a contract extension. “Milik wants to go and play, so he can be ready for the European Championship,” said Napoli director of football Cristiano Giuntoli. “That is what he wants. We will wait and see what happens.”

Several clubs have been linked with the 26-year-old. There is clearly still interest among rivals in Serie A — he has scored 38 top-flight goals in 93 appearances since moving to Italy — with Fiorentina, Inter Milan and perennial champions Juventus mentioned in dispatches, and Roma tempted to pursue him again. Atletico Madrid may consider him a natural replacement for the departing Diego Costa. Yet English sides will also be considering his pedigree. Everton, whose manager Carlo Ancelotti worked with Milik at Napoli for 18 months until his sacking a year ago, could seek to ease the workload currently being heaped upon Dominic Calvert-Lewin as they pursue European football. He was also pushed towards Tottenham Hotspur last summer, only for the London club to pursue, and sign, Benfica’s Carlos Vinicius instead.

Cost may be an issue given Napoli, fifth in Serie A and into the Europa League’s knockout phase, will still seek an eight-figure fee to part with Milik at mid-season, even as his contract ticks down, and the striker will command a hefty wage to boot. Potentially, too, there could be lingering fitness concerns over a player who has suffered serious ACL injuries in both knees since moving to Italy. But it would be in all parties’ interests to secure an agreement in January.

Milik needs a fresh start and regular football ahead of the Euros, and Napoli will want to lose him on a free transfer in June.

Michael Olise
Current club: Reading
Position: Attacking midfielder
Possible cost: £8 million

Olise is recognised now as one of the most eye-catching creative talents currently thriving in the Championship, with his jaw-dropping ability showcased regularly to date in a Reading team who enjoyed a staggering start to the current campaign with seven wins in the first eight matches and remain contenders to secure promotion.

The teenager is happiest operating as a No 10, though he could thrive anywhere across the front line. “Michael is really special,” former Reading manager Jose Gomes told The Athletic last month. “He can see, even before receiving the ball, more options than regular players. His technical ability and speed, decision capacity… is really, really good.”

No player has supplied more than his seven assists in the second tier to date this term. He boasts trickery, skill, invention, vision and resilience. He is quick and incisive. The France Under-18s international, who would also be eligible for England or Nigeria, previously spent time in the academies at Chelsea (where his younger brother, Richard, currently plays for the under-17s) and Manchester City before Reading offered him his route into senior football. At times, he has been tricky to manage — he only turned 19 on December 12 — and current Reading manager Veljko Paunovic has omitted him on occasion, though he invariably makes an impression off the bench and is a player whose reputation grows with each appearance.

Reading would ideally like to secure the player to new terms — his contract extends to 2022 — not least because his current deal is understood to include an £8 million release clause that a number of Premier League clubs (half of the top division is credited with interest in the player), as well as notable and weighty suitors from the continent, will surely seek to trigger in January.

At that price, Olise would constitute a bargain, for all that there would possibly be scope for him to remain at Reading on loan for the remainder of the current season to gain regular game time with a view to his longer-term development.

Steven Caulker
Current club: Alanyaspor
Position: Centre-half
Possible cost: £2 million (or free in the summer)

Caulker, an England international who had stints at six Premier League clubs, has quietly been rebuilding his career and reputation in southern Turkey over the last two years. He has excelled away from the glare and his performances have helped take unfancied Alanyaspor, fifth in the league and cup finalists for the first time in their history last term, into a tussle with Galatasaray and Fenerbahce at the top of the Super Lig after 15 games this season. Alanyaspor are currently third, but just two points off the lead.

More significant than the renaissance he is enjoying on the pitch is the fact the 29-year-old defender recently celebrated two years of sobriety in his battle with addiction. He spoke about his personal redemption in an interview with The Athletic last season. He has rebuilt his life on the Turquoise Coast.

Not that his football ambitions are quite satisfied just yet. Caulker, who follows his 12-step recovery programme diligently and now mentors younger players battling mental illness, still has aspirations to represent Scotland at full international level — his solitary England cap, gained under Roy Hodgson in 2012, came in a friendly against Sweden and he qualifies for the Scots through his grandmother — and wants to make his mark back in one of Europe’s elite leagues. He is a natural leader, physically imposing and inspirational, and a fine, mature defender.

Alanyaspor, a club who have forged themselves a reputation for relaunching careers, recently offered him a new contract, conscious that his current deal expires in the summer. “But I’ve decided not to sign,” he says. “I’d really like to go back and play at the top level, whether that be in Serie A, the Bundesliga or back home in the Premier League. I’d really like to compete in one of the European top leagues again: that’s something that excites me. As well as international football, of course.”

Caulker boasts experience, pedigree and, with his focus restored, is coming into the prime of his career. There will be few seasoned defenders of his calibre and ability available for free come the summer.

Max Watters
Current club: Crawley Town
Possible cost: £2 million

Retreat briefly to September and Watters, a free agent following his release by League One’s Doncaster Rovers, was failing to convince Bromley and Dagenham & Redbridge that he should be offered a contract in the fifth-tier National League. A third trial took the striker back to Maidstone United, one rung lower on the ladder, where he had spent time on loan at the end of last season. That club’s manager, Hakan Hayrettin, was keen to secure a deal for a player of considerable potential and suggested the 21-year-old had a run-out in a pre-season friendly against Crawley Town. His excellence that day cost the Kent club his signature, and could yet see Crawley glean a seven-figure fee for his services after just a few months.

Watters has been a revelation in League Two to date this term. The striker boasts 16 goals in 18 appearances in all competitions, including two on his league debut against Morecambe and 13 in 12 starts in the fourth tier. Newport County manager Michael Flynn, whose side currently top that division, has described him as “the best striker in the league”. Swansea City, in the thick of the Championship promotion race, have been credited with serious interest in his services. Crawley’s technical director Erdem Konyar quoted £1 million to one suitor from a higher level in early December, with the forward subsequently scoring a hat-trick in a win over Barrow.

“If they rang me today, I’d quote him £2 million,” Konyar followed up. “For me, he’s the most valuable striker in England. The fact he’s 21 and (therefore) won’t matter for the squad registration and the salary cap makes him more valuable but there is strong interest, and from abroad as well.”

That interest has apparently included clubs from Germany, Belgium and France, though Watters has plenty of local admirers. His emergence has been staggering. The former England schoolboy international had started in the lower leagues with Essex side Thurrock and Kent’s Ashford United before Doncaster offered him a route into the professional game. He made only five appearances for the Yorkshire club, all as a substitute, with his development furthered through loan spells at Grantham, Gainsborough Trinity, Mickleover Sports and, last season, those four scoreless games for Maidstone.

Yet Hayrettin recognised raw ability. Watters is quick, strong and a sharp finisher. Maidstone were eager to secure him permanently but, in that friendly with Crawley, the youngster scored one goal and assisted another. The League Two side were impressed, took him on trial and offered a one-year deal, with an option for a further season. That 12-month extension will be taken up, though retaining the forward’s services may still be a challenge. Watters may still be raw but he has run riot, despite lacking a conventional pre-season.

Crawley’s games have been heavily scouted of late, with clubs from the Premier League and Championship — which might be the more natural level at which to step up — taking note and Watters’ valuation rising with each goalscoring appearance.

“The price has got to be right and the lad’s got to be happy,” added Konyar. “Securing him on a longer-term deal is also on the cards but if a club comes in and wants to pay him £10,000 a week, I’m not going to be able to match that. We have to do what is in the club’s best interests. If we get an offer we can’t refuse, we’ll have to look at it.”

Joel Randall
Current club: Exeter City
Position: Left winger
Possible cost: £1.5 million

Exeter City’s academy is rightly lauded as a conveyor belt of talent, with old boys Ethan Ampadu and Ollie Watkins both playing regularly in the Premier League this season. Now, as Matt Taylor’s youthful side seek to recover from last season’s play-off final disappointment, another gifted homegrown youngster destined for life at a higher level is making an impression in League Two. Randall has been at the club since he was 11, had been sent out on five loan spells in non-League by the age of 20 and played a part in Exeter’s run to the Football League Trophy semi-finals last February. He has come into his own this term.

Operating off the left, the winger has seized the opportunity presented to him by the COVID-19 pandemic, with Exeter ever more reliant upon their academy graduates to step up into the first-team reckoning. Exeter are the division’s leading scorers at present, with seven more than next-most-prolific Crawley, and included five players who had emerged through their youth-team in the starting XI of a 6-1 rout of Colchester United in late November. Randall scored one that evening and now has eight for the season. His first senior league goal, a header, was scored on the opening afternoon of the campaign at Salford in September.

Randall, son of 1990s Burnley and York City winger Adrian, is composed, deceptively quick, energetic, skilful and strong with either foot. He has presence and awareness, and that canny knack of anticipation. “He’s exceeded our expectations,” said Exeter manager Taylor. “He’s had talent and potential in him since a young age. His running stats are phenomenal but he’s added an extra dimension to his game in terms of the end product. He’s been a constant threat down that left side, worked tirelessly for the team and contributed at all times this season. He’s been a standout player.”

The youngster signed professional terms in 2018 and, while his current deal apparently extends to the summer of 2022, interest has been stoked by his form to date this term. Celtic and Swansea are understood to have expressed interest in the 21-year-old, with others monitoring the situation from the wings. The player may well benefit more from seeing out at least the current season at St James Park, where he can help propel another push for promotion to League One, but his future lies higher up the ladder. When he does leave, the reputation of Exeter’s academy will be further enhanced.

Demarai Gray
Current club: Leicester City
Position: Winger
Possible cost: £3 million (or free in the summer)

Gray has become something of a forgotten man at Leicester City. The Premier League title winner, a £5 million winter-window recruit from Birmingham City in that 2015-16 campaign, was not included in the club’s Europa League squad and had featured only once all season — in a Carabao Cup defeat to Arsenal in September — until given 18 minutes off the bench at Crystal Palace earlier this week. The 24-year-old has apparently trained diligently enough but, with no intention of signing new terms at the King Power Stadium, the time has come for a fresh challenge.

Brendan Rodgers acknowledged as much just before Christmas. “It’s pretty clear with Demarai that he’s looking to move on,” said the Leicester manager. “His attitude to training has been first-class. He has been very professional but he’s at the stage of his career where he has been here a long time and hasn’t maybe nailed down a place. I will always respect him and, until his last day, will never discard him, but it’s looking more than likely he will probably be somewhere else next season.”

Whether the former England Under-21 international’s move comes this month or in the summer remains to be seen. The likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Southampton, clubs in pursuit of European qualification, have been mentioned as possible suitors. Palace, eager to freshen up their options in an ageing squad, Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion have also been linked. Certainly, there would be the opportunity for more regular game time at any of that last batch of clubs than he has experienced at Leicester, where almost two-thirds of his 133 Premier League appearances have come from the bench. In four years, he has only completed 90 minutes in 13 league games for the club, and just once under Rodgers.

Leicester, who submitted a contract offer to the player last season that went ignored, have cited a lack of goals and assists as having hindered Gray’s impact. “He can dribble, he can do everything,” said Rodgers last season. “It’s just, with Demarai, it’s always been about that end product: about creating goals and assisting goals on a regular basis.” Harvey Barnes has usurped him in that regard. Gray battered one free kick over the bar at Selhurst Park on Monday but was otherwise evidently ring-rusty. Regular football elsewhere would sharpen his edge.

Naturally, Leicester would prefer to receive a fee for his services. The player may, of course, opt to sit out the remainder of the campaign, go for free and command a more substantial salary at his next club. Again, his wages package would not come cheap.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:12 am

Clarets everywhere will clearly have a range of views on the clubs next steps.

I'm happy to disagree, and sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I feel my misgivings are firmly rooted in the reality of the situation.

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:08 am

I've seen a lot of mentions lately of 'money ball'. What does that mean?

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:10 am

Wallace from Millwall for me
This user liked this post: Conroysleftfoot

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:13 am

Joe Worrall.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:47 am

Andrew Driver or Henri Lansbury

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:50 am

Rojales Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:08 am
https://grantland.com/features/the-economics-moneyball/

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:09 pm
If tarks ends up Leicester bound or even higher with a club with CL status, no amount of sweet talk will convince him to extend when your mind is made up it’s gone, the amount needed to financially match what the others would offer wouldn’t be doable really you would shattering an established wage structure to keep 1 player happy & setting an unhealthy precedent that could lead to further problems later on.
Exactly, if he was 23 maybe. He’s coming into his prime both on the pitch and in his ability to demand a wage.

We can’t compete...

YET!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:57 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am
Exactly, if he was 23 maybe. He’s coming into his prime both on the pitch and in his ability to demand a wage.

We can’t compete...

YET!
It’s effectively his last payday he’s 28 he’s likely to be penning a 3/4 year deal he’ll be on the wrong side of 30 when that expires with diminishing value, it’s the last big shot he’s got.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:52 pm

The best creative midfield player available.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:56 pm

Of those mentioned above, Michael Olise seems to be the best bet.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:58 pm

Just hope it’s not cheques to the directors from the sale of Tarks

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Rojales Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:08 am
There’s a movie about it if you have Netflix - same name.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:21 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Jesus wept.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Juan Tanamera

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Brentford directors maybe, 27% (I think that's what we've been told) of the gain on transfer in-out.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm interested to see whether the takeover will lead to us making signings earlier in the transfer window or whether we'll have to wait until the tail end

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 pm
Brentford directors maybe, 27% (I think that's what we've been told) of the gain on transfer in-out.
Football is big business. The days of benefactor local owners is done. Chairmen and board members don’t work for nothing. Why shouldn’t Brentford directors be paid ?

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:35 pm

I hope Mr Pace has informed Sean and Mike Rigg what sort of money is available. This would be a reversal of the previous regime, if reports are correct from those with inside information. At least then they would know which market we can operate in.
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm
Football is big business. The days of benefactor local owners is done. Chairmen and board members don’t work for nothing. Why shouldn’t Brentford directors be paid ?
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with our directors taking a share of net transfer profit though.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 pm
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with our directors taking a share of net transfer profit though.
Neither would I but they haven’t paid close to 200 million quid just for the fun of it

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:49 pm

My prediction isn’t one that gets the pulses racing, per se, but it’s one that I feel is the definition of a ‘Dyche signing’, is refusing to sign a new contract at a club that is getting relegated, is a good age and has performed well in this division.

John Lundstram for about £5m.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Bradley Dack.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:58 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:49 pm
My prediction isn’t one that gets the pulses racing, per se, but it’s one that I feel is the definition of a ‘Dyche signing’, is refusing to sign a new contract at a club that is getting relegated, is a good age and has performed well in this division.

John Lundstram for about £5m.
May as well wait to the summer and get him for nothing. Not sure he's any better than what we already have either.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:30 pm

Almost a day into the window and we haven’t signed anyone yet. Sack the board!
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:30 pm
Hi FC, I've got no problems with those who invest in the club getting their rewards as investors. I've got no problem those that work for the club, including directors, getting their rewards as directors and employees.

Until 30-Jun-2019, the latest set of accounts that we've seen show that Mike Garlick and John B and all other directors were not taking a wage from the club. I forget when MG became executive chairman, it is possible that he took a wage from 1-Jul-2019 - but, only because we haven't seen the accounts for the most recent period.

Of course, with the sale of their shares all the directors are well rewarded for their period of ownership of the club.

Re Brentford, my comment was to remind people that Brentford have a sell-on right in the event that Tarks leaves Burnley for more than the club paid Brentford to sign him. It's up to Brentford what they do with their money. I've no idea if their directors are paid or otherwise.

Exciting times.

UTC

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:01 pm

I think the expectation of an early signing by the new owners is a bit naive.

Why would any club sell a player so early unless the price is inflated or the selling club really want's to get rid of a player ?

Either way, it's not the best strategy to follow by new owners & hopefully that's where MG shows his worth.
We could obviously, have a player targeted for quite a while and the selling club are just waiting for their valuation to be met, that's certainly one area the new owners can take advantage of, because what MG and ALK see as good value could be poles apart.

AshevilleNCClaret
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by AshevilleNCClaret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:23 pm

American chiming in here(having both read moneyball and an American baseball fan).....
For many years, scouting in baseball was very set in its ways and player selection was highly subjective. Moneyball looked at stats, and looked at a specific stat (on base %....a good analogy would be successful passes). At that time it was unorthodox but successful.
Also, moneyball used stats to over-evaluate a players worth, to get the club more money when they were sold on. Think of 15 goal scorer: their value should decrease if they scored 10 of those by penalties but would still technically be a 15 goal scorer ..

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Buying in Jan is always difficult
Lundstram would be available at a reasonable price and is much stronger and quicker than either Westwood or Cork
Watmore would be available for nothing and could cover wide right
Whilst we may not be able to get Tarks to sign a new deal, if monies are available it also should mean we don't have to sell so can hold on to JT until the summer
No point in panic buys if we can secure a couple of quality loans
Wages should not be an issue for 5-6 months to get such loans in and then concentrate on perm signings when we have more time to think about everything this summer
Now clubs know we have investment asking prices will be higher if we come knocking

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm
Hi FC, I've got no problems with those who invest in the club getting their rewards as investors. I've got no problem those that work for the club, including directors, getting their rewards as directors and employees.

Until 30-Jun-2019, the latest set of accounts that we've seen show that Mike Garlick and John B and all other directors were not taking a wage from the club. I forget when MG became executive chairman, it is possible that he took a wage from 1-Jul-2019 - but, only because we haven't seen the accounts for the most recent period.

Of course, with the sale of their shares all the directors are well rewarded for their period of ownership of the club.

Re Brentford, my comment was to remind people that Brentford have a sell-on right in the event that Tarks leaves Burnley for more than the club paid Brentford to sign him. It's up to Brentford what they do with their money. I've no idea if their directors are paid or otherwise.

Exciting times.

UTC
Exciting times Indeed. Sorry I misunderstood your comments re Brentford directors. Its not unheard of for managers to be paid commissions on profits made from sales but I would guess that today’s agents cream most of that profit off the top. I
It’s not normal for board members to receive salaries but as I said in an earlier post. The Times they are a Changing
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:58 pm

Lingard on loan?

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:59 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:58 pm
Lingard on loan?
Put off by the football we play. It’s going to take a few windows to transition.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:24 pm

Would love Gallagher com West Brom / Chelsea. He would be perfect in our midfield. He is wasted on loan at West brom. Don’t know if he has a future at Chelsea.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Maybe the lad O’Brien at Huddersfield. Linked in the summer and back playing 90 minutes every game now after an injury earlier in the season. Only 20 years old I think.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:21 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Exciting times Indeed. Sorry I misunderstood your comments re Brentford directors. Its not unheard of for managers to be paid commissions on profits made from sales but I would guess that today’s agents cream most of that profit off the top. I
It’s not normal for board members to receive salaries but as I said in an earlier post. The Times they are a Changing
Like, particularly for "The Times they are a Changing."

Exciting times.

UTC