Home Advantage?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Home Advantage?

Post by Erasmus » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Having too much time on my hands, I started looking at how much playing in empty stadiums removed any home advantage. And as far as the results this season are concerned it tends to show that there is now no advantage to playing at home. My rough counting up showed that of the 154 Premier League matches played this season, 57 were home wins, 38 were draws, and 59 were away wins. However, the trend towards away wins was much more pronounced in September and October, and in December the balance had shifted in favour of home wins, 21 to 16, with 19 draws.

In the last season where every match was played in front of crowds, 2018-19, there were 380 matches played in all, 181 home wins (47%), 71 draws (19%), and 128 away wins (34%). A tentative conclusion would be that home advantage has little to do with the opposition having to travel long distances, and everything to do with the atmosphere created by a home crowd.

The things you get up to when you're locked in at home.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Re: Home Advantage?

Post by dpinsussex » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Erasmus wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:02 pm
Having too much time on my hands, I started looking at how much playing in empty stadiums removed any home advantage. And as far as the results this season are concerned it tends to show that there is now no advantage to playing at home. My rough counting up showed that of the 154 Premier League matches played this season, 57 were home wins, 38 were draws, and 59 were away wins. However, the trend towards away wins was much more pronounced in September and October, and in December the balance had shifted in favour of home wins, 21 to 16, with 19 draws.

In the last season where every match was played in front of crowds, 2018-19, there were 380 matches played in all, 181 home wins (47%), 71 draws (19%), and 128 away wins (34%). A tentative conclusion would be that home advantage has little to do with the opposition having to travel long distances, and everything to do with the atmosphere created by a home crowd.

The things you get up to when you're locked in at home.
Interesting facts
You should read a book called Blowing the whistle by Stuart Carrington.
He is a physcologist that looks predominantly at refereeing.
There is a brilliant chapter about how fans effect refereeing subconscious decisions.
Just adds value to your statistics. I have his email if it is something you seriously wish to explore

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:09 pm

There were no fans to effect the refereeing decisions at Leeds...didn’t stop the most one sided refereeing performance for a while
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:12 pm

Interesting that there is an obvious trend. Also strange how different leagues react differently - away teams won most games when the bundesliga started after the first lockdown without fans.