Sunday Times article

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretPope
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 437 times

Sunday Times article

Post by ClaretPope » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:25 am

From Alyson Rudd:
When the Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney bought Wrexham for $3.42 million (about £2.5 million) in November, promising to make the National League side “a global force” it seemed as though we had a shoo-in for the most unlikely takeover of 2020.

“This is really happening,” Reynolds said when announcing the deal. This was not the Deadpool star trying to inject some drama. He probably does not order a salt-beef sandwich at his local diner by informing the waitress that “this is really happening”. Not unless she is a big Reynolds fan and has started to hyperventilate. He needed to make it clear that the Wrexham deal was no hoax.

And yet. That filming has begun on a Netflix documentary about Wrexham’s new owners makes you wonder what is really happening. It is all a bit like jumping into the sea to save a struggling labrador shortly before you start work on an autobiography. Is it a real-life story if you manufacture the narrative just before the telling of it?

Still, there were no other glamorous takeovers to steal the glory until, on the last day of the year, Burnley were bought by an American investment group that paid £200 million for an 84 per cent stake in the Lancashire club. None of the key players is a Hollywood actor but they could easily be characters in the Sky Atlantic drama Billions or the old favourite Dallas.

Alan Pace, the club’s new chairman, is a Wall Street financier who likes snowboarding and his partners at ALK Capital are high-flyers in the world of franchise growth. They had to fend off a rival bid from an Egyptian businessman before completing the deal.

Takeovers are part of Premier League life but for the first time, it is said, in Burnley’s 138-year history the club will be run by people who are not fans of the club. Pace’s stated plan consists of “a path to growth” and the expansion of the club’s profile overseas.

Yes, this is really happening. It will be a culture shock for the supporters but also for Sean Dyche, who you’d be forgiven for thinking has football’s equivalent of Stockholm syndrome. So often does the gruff-voiced 49-year-old from Kettering speak of dealing “with the reality” of no money for player investment that you suspect he rather embraces his reputation for forging a team with limited resources that has not only avoided relegation for the past five seasons but even managed a seventh-place finish in 2017-18. It’s like all those people who sigh and moan that they have not had time for lunch, so busy are they, but who, if given two hours for a salad and a stroll, would shiver in fear of not being needed.

There will be no immediate massive splashing of cash, but the new owners will want to make a mark in this month’s transfer window, which gives Dyche, who has been manager since 2012, a new sort of headache. He will have to remove indignation as a motivational factor and start worrying about the impact that a sprinkling of stardust could have on his squad.

Pace has spoken of his admiration for Dyche, and Burnley fans will be hoping he knows his true value. The new chairman is said to have fallen in love with football while watching el Clasico when studying in Catalonia. There is no Barcelona-style tiki-taka at work at Turf Moor but there is hard graft and intelligence. Pace needs look no farther than the disastrous appointment of Frank de Boer at Crystal Palace for evidence of how romantic visions can fall flat.

De Boer — whose appointment came 18 months after Palace were taken over by an American consortium — tried to turn the southeast London club into a mini-Ajax and was so out of touch with the ethos of the team that he lasted ten weeks, losing the first four games of the season in which not one goal was scored by his players.

Burnley’s Europa League adventure was a drain on resources and, after six games between July 26 and August 30, 2018, they crashed out before the main stage of the tournament. It felt as if they had been invited to the ball but told to hitchhike their way to the red carpet.

As the tourists begin to flood in, they may pad out their visit to Burnley with a trip to the Pennine Hills and the Singing Ringing Tree sculpture which overlooks the town while emitting harmonics and which is possibly right now hitting a mixture of incredulous high notes and low reverberations of excited but nervous anticipation.
These 3 users liked this post: randomclaret2 StuffyClaret 3putt

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Re: Sunday Times article

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 am

That’s about as patronising an article as you could wish for. Exemplifies the ‘oh so humorous’ comments we have suffered from the glitterati pundits and media for so long. The overwhelmingly intelligence starved populous detests change or an upsetting of the status quo.
The aspirations expressed by the club’s new owners are a breath of long awaited fresh air. Yes, we want to forge ahead, yes, we want to challenge - but the beauty of doing it as the ‘Forest Gump’ of the football world, and everyone‘a favourite underdog will, hopefully, one day choke them all.
These 7 users liked this post: levraiclaret Redbeard Buxtonclaret Bcap1959 jrtod61 RalphCoatesComb Guller Bull

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 am
That’s about as patronising an article as you could wish for. Exemplifies the ‘oh so humorous’ comments we have suffered from the glitterati pundits and media for so long. The overwhelmingly intelligence starved populous detests change or an upsetting of the status quo.
The aspirations expressed by the club’s new owners are a breath of long awaited fresh air. Yes, we want to forge ahead, yes, we want to challenge - but the beauty of doing it as the ‘Forest Gump’ of the football world, and everyone‘a favourite underdog will, hopefully, one day choke them all.
I'm guessing she was told to get something in the paper quickly - when ST learnt that the Mail had got the first media interview with Alan Pace.

Not one of Rudd's better articles.

Will be interesting to see if there is a follow up article, when Alan Pace invites Alyson Rudd/Times to get to know him and ALK's plans for the Clarets. It will all be consistent with the "raising the club's profile."

Exciting times.

UTC

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:07 am

With respect, does every post need to end with “Exciting times”? My own pettiness at how much it’s frustrating me, is annoying me!! :lol:

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:30 am

From the general football fans point of view it's an OK article but hardly insightful, offering additional information or needing extensive research. Surely not worthy of such an august paper as the Sunday Times was.

Frank de Boer was hardly given anytime at Palace.

GrahamBranchsPerm
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 am

I'm really enjoying the 'Exciting Times' sign off.

Tickles the hell out of me, keep it up Mr Waine (no offence to you Matt).

Exciting times.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: mill hill claret Paul Waine

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am

At best, it’s sniping. Guffawing at Dyche‘s possible use of better finance. Most other ‘top managers’ have failed miserably with multi million pound backing. How could our tin pot outfit understand the complex reality of real money?!!
Might be a ‘tiny’ entity, but we have earned our place in the Premier and I’m pretty sure that’s much more impressive than those that have been handed it with a silver spoon.
These 8 users liked this post: Funkydrummer Redbeard claretfern Ashingtonclaret46 Bcap1959 jrtod61 levraiclaret k90bfc

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49 am

I would kind of love it if Dyche just ended up playing the same way, but with better players. That would really irk people like linekar et Al.
This user liked this post: jackmiggins

GrahamBranchsPerm

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:51 am

Agree that's the way to look at it Ric - similar style with better quality could be a powerful mix.

UTC
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:57 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 am
Don’t agree at all. It’s not especially insightful but I don’t find it patronising. I think most fans will be excited by what’s going on, but anyone who isn’t nervous about the risks involved is kidding themselves.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm

It’s definitely strikes a patronising tone towards Sean Dyche. I’d like to think that this opportunity is what Dyche needs to show the world how could he can be as a manager. It’s pretty clear that a movement up the footballing career ladder has been tempered by accusations of ‘Dycheball’ and depiction of him as a football dinosaur.
Improving what we do with better players in a stable ‘growth’ environment will hopefully improve our playing style / performance. In turn that should secure Dyche a proper move when the time is right to a big club like Everton or Aston Villa rather than the oft-linked Palace type sideways move.
These 3 users liked this post: jackmiggins claretfern Bcap1959

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:57 am
Don’t agree at all. It’s not especially insightful but I don’t find it patronising. I think most fans will be excited by what’s going on, but anyone who isn’t nervous about the risks involved is kidding themselves.
Gloom and doom - look ahead young man

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49 am
I would kind of love it if Dyche just ended up playing the same way, but with better players. That would really irk people like linekar et Al.
Why not its what Spurs do
This user liked this post: bfcmik

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:34 pm

To me, it looks like she had the Sean Dyche paragraph already sort of written then realised she needed an article to go round it if it was to be published.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:45 pm

I think it’s fair enough and to be honest it’s possible that the arrival of ALK will to some extent call Dyche’s bluff in respect of finances etc:

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:47 pm

We will see a lot more of this now we have money to spend, SD will have to change the "we have no money" script now.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm

It's like...

The author has been given an A Level project to see how many analogies, mixed metaphors and similitudes you can put together.

I'm probably old-fashioned, but I prefer news articles to contain news.

6/10 Must do better
This user liked this post: Bcap1959

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:37 pm

All fair comments in the article.

For a few 'windows', it has been make do and mend and that does produce a certain mindset. Now the management and club do have to both expand horizons and yet not forget what has brought success and admiration.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:58 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm
It's like...

The author has been given an A Level project to see how many analogies, mixed metaphors and similitudes you can put together.

I'm probably old-fashioned, but I prefer news articles to contain news.

6/10 Must do better
I think you are being unkind to A Level students. I can assure you as someone who at one time studied to become a journalist before turning my sights (unsuccessfully) on TV media production... this is way below a level journalism. The sort of essay I’d expect from the Rossendale Free Press.

holycustard
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by holycustard » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:09 pm

I bought a newspaper. :)

Exciting times. :D

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm

holycustard wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:09 pm
I bought a newspaper. :)

Exciting times. :D
I was given a COVID flier... pub exiting times

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm
It’s definitely strikes a patronising tone towards Sean Dyche. I’d like to think that this opportunity is what Dyche needs to show the world how could he can be as a manager. It’s pretty clear that a movement up the footballing career ladder has been tempered by accusations of ‘Dycheball’ and depiction of him as a football dinosaur.
Improving what we do with better players in a stable ‘growth’ environment will hopefully improve our playing style / performance. In turn that should secure Dyche a proper move when the time is right to a big club like Everton or Aston Villa rather than the oft-linked Palace type sideways move.
Just not how I read it. Struck me as largely admiring of what SD has achieved in difficult circumstances, but stating that maybe there are different challenges ahead - something I’m sure Dyche himself would acknowledge. It also warns of the dangers of replacing the tried and tested with more glamorous alternatives...

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:10 pm

It’s a fair observation how having a big budget at his disposal may well create a new and different challenge for SDand that may well prove to be As exciting this huge change forBurnley Fc may be, I do worry that it could all go pear shaped.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:45 pm

I can imagine that the challenge of playing better football or accepting a flow of overseas players into the squad via a partnership arrangement may cause a new rift between board and manager. That, or it seriously tests Dyche’s mettle in adapting his tried and tested methods. It’s very hard to see the new board being content with survival using tactics like Allerdyce or Pulis year after year.

Ultimately, with any takeover, things always change. The interesting thing to ponder, is what.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:57 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:58 pm
I think you are being unkind to A Level students. I can assure you as someone who at one time studied to become a journalist before turning my sights (unsuccessfully) on TV media production... this is way below a level journalism. The sort of essay I’d expect from the Rossendale Free Press.
:lol:

You've let the cat out the bag now. Your grammar and spelling will be under severe scrutiny now ;)

GrahamBranchsPerm

Post by GrahamBranchsPerm » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Agree that how SD and ALK 'get on' is really key to the success of the investment.

Exciting Times (c) Paul Waine.

UTC
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:31 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:57 pm
:lol:

You've let the cat out the bag now. Your grammar and spelling will be under severe scrutiny now ;)
:o I did say unsuccessfully... so I have an excuse, sort of :D

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:07 am
With respect, does every post need to end with “Exciting times”? My own pettiness at how much it’s frustrating me, is annoying me!! :lol:
Hi DC, please accept my most profound apologies.

I know I do let "the excitement" run away with me at times. However, that's what football does to me, whether I've been playing (I was never really any good, though my "pinnacle" was a charity game at Stamford Bridge and I was, apparently, on tv for 2 seconds as the defender who didn't stop the attacker scoring) and watching. Of course, lots and lots of "exciting times" when watching the Clarets. We've all got our own favourites. Some of mine include: FA Youth Cup victory in 1968, Burnley 5 - 1 Leeds 1969(?), FA Cup semi-final 1974 (OK, we lost, but what a day out), Wembley Play-off 2009, Burnley 1 - 0 ManU, August 2009 and many, many more.

Welcoming Alan Pace and his colleagues to Turf Moor is exciting. Burnley can't be "the best team in the world" if we remain owned by our locals "who've made good." They did a great job, but it now feels as though we are ascending to a higher level (I don't expect it to be quick and the road ahead may occasionally be bumpy, no worries).

So, I remain, humbly... ;) :D

Exciting times.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat GrahamBranchsPerm

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:42 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm
Hi DC, please accept my most profound apologies.

I know I do let "the excitement" run away with me at times. However, that's what football does to me, whether I've been playing (I was never really any good, though my "pinnacle" was a charity game at Stamford Bridge and I was, apparently, on tv for 2 seconds as the defender who didn't stop the attacker scoring) and watching. Of course, lots and lots of "exciting times" when watching the Clarets. We've all got our own favourites. Some of mine include: FA Youth Cup victory in 1968, Burnley 5 - 1 Leeds 1969(?), FA Cup semi-final 1974 (OK, we lost, but what a day out), Wembley Play-off 2009, Burnley 1 - 0 ManU, August 2009 and many, many more.

Welcoming Alan Pace and his colleagues to Turf Moor is exciting. Burnley can't be "the best team in the world" if we remain owned by our locals "who've made good." They did a great job, but it now feels as though we are ascending to a higher level (I don't expect it to be quick and the road ahead may occasionally be bumpy, no worries).

So, I remain, humbly... ;) :D

Exciting times.

UTC
Apologies not needed for my petty frustrations, Paul.

I’m not at the excited level but I’m certainly intrigued and hoping for some real positives for me to get properly excited about.

:)
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:30 am
From the general football fans point of view it's an OK article but hardly insightful, offering additional information or needing extensive research. Surely not worthy of such an august paper as the Sunday Times was.

Frank de Boer was hardly given anytime at Palace.
WAS being the key word.