Alan Pace live now on clarets player

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Re: Alan Pace live now on clarets player

Post by levraiclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:51 pm

Good interview, he is better than the Glazers, silent Stan, Ellis Short, Randy Lerner, Hicks and Gillette only Josh Harris and John Henry to go. Well done Mr Pace.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:53 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Pacey seems to understand what the club is about
Let’s hope that all the new signings are pacey too...

rincon
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by rincon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 pm

After not wanting us to be taken over in any circumstances, I'm quietly reasured by watching that interview and if a takeover had to happen, which it probably did, he seems like a very good fit for the club.
Welcome Mr Pace.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Very good interview.
Gave me warm fuzzy feelings that the club is in the right hands, for continued success.

Thank you Mr Garlick and Mr B.

Good luck Mr Pace. Mr Dyche may play you on the weekend. We need pace to get behind defences!
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:13 pm

rincon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 pm
After not wanting us to be taken over in any circumstances, I'm quietly reasured by watching that interview and if a takeover had to happen, which it probably did, he seems like a very good fit for the club.
Welcome Mr Pace.
Same here. So far, it’s a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 pm

I haven’t had time to listen to it, but I have read several big articles about the interview.

I’m impressed, and feel we will see some much needed changes. If Alan can expand his WIFI frustration to the rest of the club, I bet we will see some improvements. Basically, if somebody in the past cannot be bothered to fix the WIFI, how can they be expected to fix the problem on our right wing?

The background in international banking and hedge funds, and the up and down financial issues faced by Real Salt Lake, suggest to me that we will see an element of risk taking. With the debt presumably sitting on the club’s balance sheet (as a finance expert in an unrelated field I remain unsure how that can be allowed but that is by the by) I’d question how much exposure the owners themselves face in the event of relegation (a certainty at some point) and administration (far more likely given those debt repayments).

I agree with some other concerns on this thread such as ClaretSpice’s, but in all honesty I’m not financially exposed other than as a season ticket holder so I’m happy to take a punt - worst case scenario is we end up as Bolton in League 2, best case we have 10-20 years of amazing fun (potentially selling at a profit to someone like Moulding), and I’m only in this life once.

If I were to speculate on some things it would be: cricket ground to be purchased and redeveloped, OR we relocate to a motorway-edge location; entertainment and refreshments to be HUGELY improved; ditto media and comms; player purchases and sales to be much more aggressive - i.e. McNeil may not be here much longer, but others would come in; for all the love talk, Dyche either adapts to the new mentality of quicker player turnover, or he is gone. Finance - I see administration as likely on a 10 year view but it will be a fun ride (not reckless though).

Those are my predictions having weighed all this up. My worry is - my gloomy predictions are almost always correct, the more optimistic ones a bit more up and down. Not sure what that says about me. But to be clear - happy to have the new guys in charge.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 pm

I really like this guy, seems almost tailor made for us.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 pm

He might well be a hard nosed businessman (why are they always ‘hard nosed’?), but taking Alan Pace at face value, you’d have to say he comes across as a nice, affable, confident and above all else, approachable man.

Peoples bullshit meters may well be going off, but I think I have a decent read of people and my intuition tells me that he is exactly as he is presenting himself.

I am very excited to hear his plans for the club. On the pitch he will support Sean and I think it’ll be gradual evolution not revolution. Off the pitch however, I am sensing big changes in every aspect of the club (stadium, corporates/commercial, youth team, community engagement). We have been stale in many areas that we probably haven’t even realised - these fresh eyes will have made a very big list of changes and fixes already I imagine.Very exciting.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:45 pm

I still don't like it but I have to admit that he's saying all the right things and seems a decent chap.

The proof will be in the eating.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Great listening to Alan Pace and his first "face the media" session.

Welcome to Turf Moor, Alan. I feel I know you a little already. I hope you don't mind the "familiarity" of using your given name.

I love the "billion people watching" idea. Yes, let's keep Burnley on the "big, global stage" and become everyone's favourite "under-dog" in the Premier League.

Exciting times.

UTC

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02 am

claretspice wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm
Don't get much chance to post on here these days for various reasons, but i've followed the takeover discussions with interest and just listened to that press conference.

The basic pitch of that Q&A was broadly in line with what I've heard from people I'd trust. The first impression of the front man is good - he seems to get the ethos of the club and the area and he talks a humble game. That makes me a lot less wary than I'd otherwise be of this takeover, but I'm still cautious about the overall proposition, and I still think there are some significant questions unanswered (inevitably, at this stage) - three in particular.

Firstly, the answers given to date on the debt funding of the acquisition haven't really got to the heart of the matter, and they've not played down the extent to which this is being fuelled by borrowed money, or given any real indication of how much equity is being invested. At some point, it would be nice to get more clarity on that.

Particularly if we are servicing debt interest off the Premier League profits, it will be fascinating to understand exactly what the magic ingredient is that is going to unlock revenues to pay the interest whilst also investing in the team and facilities. I know Pace has made a great play of the fact he's going to live locally (which is great), but as a point of difference from other consortiums at other clubs who haven't been particularly successful, it's thin - it's hard to see the level of growth required being generated within the local area (I'm assuming they're pinning their hopes on overseas markets).

Finally - I'd still like to know how they plan on funding the club in the event of relegation. It's an ever present possibility for a club like Burnley and if we aren't talking transformative investment in the playing squad, then they must have a plan for how to cope with it. Particularly if we're paying loan interest etc, carrying debt etc. it becomes harder to see how the club stays afloat without gambling hard on a quick return, or an extreme fire sale.

In some respects, it feels like continuity Burnley but with the cautious emphasis on saving for a rainy day swapped for a more ballsy appetite for debt funded risk. There's a lot to like about the enthusiasm, optimism and breath-of-fresh air communication, but it's the substance that counts and it will be interesting to see what the picture looks like as it becomes clearer over the next few months. I wish them all the best, because it's in all of our interests for them to be successful.
I've just logged in to say a welcome back to Claretspuce

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:08 am

The one thing I got from Mr Pace was communication, communication, communication. If he holds true to then we as a whole will be in a better position than what we've seen over the last few seasons
This user liked this post: Leisure

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:08 am
The one thing I got from Mr Pace was communication, communication, communication. If he holds true to then we as a whole will be in a better position than what we've seen over the last few seasons
Yes quite, and hopefully it will stop some of that vague 'in the know' that we sometimes get on here.

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:15 am

Just watched the video ...he seems 100% genuine...seems to have a definite idea how to take tte club forward ..seems very level headed ...I like him UTC

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 am

Say it quietly but the future does appear to be rather bright.

🌞👍😉

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:36 am

I mentioned it last time but the accent I can't stand however what a top bloke this guy comes across as. Love how confident he is of pleasing dyche in the transfer market. Looks like we will be getting targets 1 and 2 as opposed to missing out on target 5.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:45 am

Pleasantly surprised by his start, long may it continue and let's all take note and pass it along to others that abuse isn't going to have any place going forward if we want the communication to continue - let's get behind them all and provide a positive energy

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:19 am

this report on the presser from Sky has a lot more to it as it tries to shape a conversation

Burnley takeover: Impact for Sean Dyche of new ownership explained
What will Burnley's takeover by American investment firm ALK Capital mean for the club and their long-serving manager Sean Dyche? Johnny Phillips takes a look…

Johnny Phillips - Football Commentator & Columnist @SkyJohnnyP

Tuesday 5 January 2021 18:23, UK

The move from local to international ownership of Burnley is a crossing of the Rubicon for the Premier League club. From the long reign of barrow boy turned butcher, Bob Lord, to the Mike Garlick-led board who appointed Sean Dyche eight years ago, the Clarets’ identity has been forged through many decades by local ownership.

That has changed with the takeover by American investment firm ALK Capital, after a protracted process that began before the start of the current season. Now that the £170m deal to secure an 84 per cent stake in the club has been completed, supporters are looking forward with anticipation and a little uncertainty about what the future might bring.

In many respects the timing could not have been better. The team on the pitch has been defying gravity for several seasons and the lack of squad depth was starting to become a cause for concern and create tension. Dyche has established the club in the Premier League on meagre resources, steadily building a team with a strong work ethic and unity. The manager has said very little about the takeover, principally because he has been kept in the dark about it by Garlick. The communication flow between the two men has not been strong for some time and there have been fears behind the scenes that the manager was growing tired of continually being asked to fight against the odds, without adequate support.

New chairman Alan Pace, who has not been able to meet with Dyche until this week, is keen to assert that he and his partners are strongly behind the current management team and the work they are carrying out.

"I thought the meeting went well," Pace says. "I had been looking forward to it. As far as things changing, I think he just knows that he has our big support. We see what an amazing manager and leader he is."

The immediate aim is to allow the manager to move more swiftly in the transfer market and give him a better chance of landing his targets, starting in the January window. The team certainly needs strengthening. Dale Stephens was brought in for less than £1m, and no other recruits cost more than a nominal fee during an underwhelming summer transfer window. With injuries starting to mount during a season of madcap fixture scheduling, the threadbare squad is being tested to the limit. A repeat of last season's impressive tenth-place finish is unlikely.

Josh Brownhill, arguably one of Dyche's most astute recruits for £8m from Bristol City in the last January window, strikes a note of caution when speaking about the possibility of an immediate bout of spending. "I feel like the manager deserves to get the backing, but it's never easy because you see some other clubs who have been backed, spend a lot of money and then get relegated," Brownhill says. "It's not always about spending money, it's about getting a group together that works hard, understands, and fights to be in the Premier League. I feel that's what we've got here."

Supporters do not have to gaze into the distant past for a high-profile arrival who did not fit the Dyche prototype. The 2019 summer deadline day capture of Premier League winner Danny Drinkwater, on loan from Chelsea, proved to be a mistake. Dyche had serious reservations about the deal but a sense of desperation had taken over at board level and the midfielder was ushered in as a last resort. A nightclub incident just a few weeks into Drinkwater's stay set the tone for a disappointing spell at Turf Moor.

"It's about adding one or two to the team who are really hungry," Brownhill continues. "I think everybody in this team is on the same wavelength of how they want to play and what values they have as people, how grounded and humble everybody is. For this club that is exactly what they recruit. I don't think it is easy for Burnley to recruit players because they don't want to spend an amount of money and it go to waste. They are very careful in how they spend their money."

Recruitment and the club's academy will be a major focus for ALK Capital, who have previously invested in both AiScout and Player Lens. There is an opportunity to make the academy a hot bed for the area. With the Manchester region to the south densely populated with professional clubs, Burnley can be a focal point for north Lancashire and further afield, with the aim to create a more successful pathway from academy to first team.

The £10.6m development of the Barnfield Training Centre has been one of many successes of the previous ownership. There has also been significant investment in the club's scouting department, which is led by technical director Mike Rigg. "It will probably evolve further on the analytics side," Pace suggests.

Former chairman Garlick and co-chairman John Banaszkiewicz will remain at the club as directors to ensure as seamless a transition as possible for the new owners. Pace believes there is untapped potential that can be unlocked at a place that has always had a modest and humble outlook.

Former Burnley chairman Mike Garlick will look to ensure a seamless transition
Clarets fans are proud of a club entrenched in its community, historically run by Burnley people. ALK Capital's takeover is a historic moment, representing a seismic shift in the landscape. Departing director Brendan Flood is keen to stress the progress made during his time at Turf Moor, which he believes can be built on.

"As a local lad, it has been a huge privilege to serve as a director since 2006, when we had a turnover of £6m and losses of £2m per annum," he reveals. "It was very challenging back then. We have progressed slowly but steadily to a turnover of £130m and have become a consistently profitable club. We are known to be frugal but, in truth, the Board care so much about the club because we are fans first and foremost. The biggest decision for any business is to choose a good leadership team. We have chosen strong managers and the staff within the club have been absolutely tremendous, having grown in confidence year on year. I will miss them the most. I hope that ALK contribute to the future of the club and enjoy some of those special memories which only sport can provide."

"What Burnley have achieved in recent years has been phenomenal," says Alastair Campbell, former Downing Street communications director and devoted supporter. "That is the reason why ALK recognise what an important asset Burnley Football Club is, that they can invest in and hopefully develop. It's got off to a good start in that they clearly understand that a lot of that success has been down to having a very good manager. People have been impressed by the fact that Alan Pace has committed to the extent of moving up there and is saying a lot of the right things about what we need to do. You will always get people who are a bit suspicious, but the general mood is positive."

"I don't think you have ever seen anyone like me," Pace adds. "You certainly haven't seen anyone like me come in and run a football club, interact with the community and live in the community they are going to operate in."

Key to any success will be the relationship between owner and manager. Under the previous regime an impasse had been reached, but if Dyche needed reenergising then the early pronouncements from Pace should act as a shot in the arm.

So will the club's identity change with this takeover? Already, Pace has been active on Twitter, responding to a Burnley fan who questioned the club's commercial links to a betting firm and promising to address those concerns. ALK Capital are here to challenge from within.

"The ambition for the club should be interaction well beyond the boundaries of the local community, and a lot of that takes something special," Pace explains. "Every club in it can benefit from the international scope of this league, but how you do that is the most important part of it."

Partnering with an overseas club is one way the new owners hope to extend the club's reach. "It is important, especially on the back of Brexit, there is an important role for club-to-club relationships in developing talent. It is more on the player development side, and the relationships could be anything from ownership to strategic relations."

ALK Capital want Burnley to become a more recognisable name in the Premier League and abroad, believing there are many assets already in place that are unique to the club. Dyche is undoubtedly one of those. If the longest-serving Premier League manager can form a strong working relationship with the new owners, supporters will have every reason to remain hopeful of exciting times ahead.

Whatever the future holds, Burnley have moved into uncharted waters

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:25 am

it will be interesting to see if they retain Rigg
This user liked this post: DCWat

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:34 am

I think he will have to learn to be a bit more careful and perhaps make sure he has a PR because any joke or word said in jest can quickly turn against you. He clearly felt nervous but credit to him for answering all the questions.

He should learn from the Dyche book of interviews 101. Clearly a great guy but a few wrong words here and there can lead to other clubs raising their prices and buffing their negotiating. On the plus side now we have the ability to spend more money it should mean we can demand more money when teams come in for our players.

I liked what he said previously about Southampton's academy. He alluded to not wanting us to become a selling club. Whilst we will never be able to keep our very top players if we can start to sell them to the richer teams we will be better off. For example, if Manchester United were in for Tarkowski he'd fetch a lot more than going to West Ham and Chelsea.

I hope Tarkowski is impressed by him and has a change of heart. A lot I'm sure will also depend on Dyche.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:45 am

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:34 am
I think he will have to learn to be a bit more careful and perhaps make sure he has a PR because any joke or word said in jest can quickly turn against you. He clearly felt nervous but credit to him for answering all the questions.

He should learn from the Dyche book of interviews 101. Clearly a great guy but a few wrong words here and there can lead to other clubs raising their prices and buffing their negotiating. On the plus side now we have the ability to spend more money it should mean we can demand more money when teams come in for our players.

I liked what he said previously about Southampton's academy. He alluded to not wanting us to become a selling club. Whilst we will never be able to keep our very top players if we can start to sell them to the richer teams we will be better off. For example, if Manchester United were in for Tarkowski he'd fetch a lot more than going to West Ham and Chelsea.

I hope Tarkowski is impressed by him and has a change of heart. A lot I'm sure will also depend on Dyche.
I winced a bit at his comments about Southampton’s academy, something along the lines of the new owners have devastated their academy.

That may well be true, I don’t know, but perhaps not wise to air such views publicly when we may at some point want to do business with these people.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:00 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:45 am
I winced a bit at his comments about Southampton’s academy, something along the lines of the new owners have devastated their academy.

That may well be true, I don’t know, but perhaps not wise to air such views publicly when we may at some point want to do business with these people.
Can't say I thought it that specifically but you certainly have a point. I think it's refreshing he's so open but I think the openness needs to be mostly with fans and not with the press. You can tell already the press love him and he did his part to develop a rapport with them but a chairman doing regular press conferences for any team could be disastrous in the long term.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 am

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:00 am
Can't say I thought it that specifically but you certainly have a point. I think it's refreshing he's so open but I think the openness needs to be mostly with fans and not with the press. You can tell already the press love him and he did his part to develop a rapport with them but a chairman doing regular press conferences for any team could be disastrous in the long term.
A press conference now was no surprise, but I would be surprised if these became frequent in the future.

I’m not sure if owners are more public facing generally in US sports.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:14 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:06 am
A press conference now was no surprise, but I would be surprised if these became frequent in the future.

I’m not sure if owners are more public facing generally in US sports.
Me too, but I think they are more public in US sports. Many owners are both loved and hated. They also tend to rely on a general manager more as a go between. That would probably be director of football in UK terms. I guess it depends on what there proposed management structure will be. My guess is they'll give Dyche what he wants which will probably mean he has more control over transfers. They'll probably sack Rigg and hire their own director of football.

In US sports mostly the manager is just the coach, but I don't think that's what Dyche will want. I'm sure he doesn't want to get into the nitty gritty negotiations when it comes to fees and wages but he'll certainly want a big say on who and where the money is spent.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:57 pm
It’s always surprising to me that the Athletic haven’t had a word with virtually every story they write copied and pasted on here for people to read free.
Im pretty sure posting copyrighted material is on violation of the only site rule that we appear to have (the only one that's written down anyway) as it's against the law.

Its also against UK law to post links to streams of live matches and that seems to be prevalent as well.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:39 am

superdimitri wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:14 am
Me too, but I think they are more public in US sports. Many owners are both loved and hated. They also tend to rely on a general manager more as a go between. That would probably be director of football in UK terms. I guess it depends on what there proposed management structure will be. My guess is they'll give Dyche what he wants which will probably mean he has more control over transfers. They'll probably sack Rigg and hire their own director of football.

In US sports mostly the manager is just the coach, but I don't think that's what Dyche will want. I'm sure he doesn't want to get into the nitty gritty negotiations when it comes to fees and wages but he'll certainly want a big say on who and where the money is spent.
I guess we might see if there have been issues with Dyche and Rigg now that the third point of the triangle is on handover duties. For all we know, Dyche and Rigg may have been aligned but hampered by Garlick’s position in relation to transfers.

I certainly couldn’t say what Rigg has achieved though I’d hope, with the time he has been in post, there have been some big improvements behind the scenes.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:55 am

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:28 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:39 am
I guess we might see if there have been issues with Dyche and Rigg now that the third point of the triangle is on handover duties. For all we know, Dyche and Rigg may have been aligned but hampered by Garlick’s position in relation to transfers.

I certainly couldn’t say what Rigg has achieved though I’d hope, with the time he has been in post, there have been some big improvements behind the scenes.
I’d heard that Rigg and Garlick were aligned but Dyche wanted more experienced players.

Woody9229
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 145 times

Post by Woody9229 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 am

claretspice wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm
Don't get much chance to post on here these days for various reasons, but i've followed the takeover discussions with interest and just listened to that press conference.

The basic pitch of that Q&A was broadly in line with what I've heard from people I'd trust. The first impression of the front man is good - he seems to get the ethos of the club and the area and he talks a humble game. That makes me a lot less wary than I'd otherwise be of this takeover, but I'm still cautious about the overall proposition, and I still think there are some significant questions unanswered (inevitably, at this stage) - three in particular.

Firstly, the answers given to date on the debt funding of the acquisition haven't really got to the heart of the matter, and they've not played down the extent to which this is being fuelled by borrowed money, or given any real indication of how much equity is being invested. At some point, it would be nice to get more clarity on that.

Particularly if we are servicing debt interest off the Premier League profits, it will be fascinating to understand exactly what the magic ingredient is that is going to unlock revenues to pay the interest whilst also investing in the team and facilities. I know Pace has made a great play of the fact he's going to live locally (which is great), but as a point of difference from other consortiums at other clubs who haven't been particularly successful, it's thin - it's hard to see the level of growth required being generated within the local area (I'm assuming they're pinning their hopes on overseas markets).

Finally - I'd still like to know how they plan on funding the club in the event of relegation. It's an ever present possibility for a club like Burnley and if we aren't talking transformative investment in the playing squad, then they must have a plan for how to cope with it. Particularly if we're paying loan interest etc, carrying debt etc. it becomes harder to see how the club stays afloat without gambling hard on a quick return, or an extreme fire sale.

In some respects, it feels like continuity Burnley but with the cautious emphasis on saving for a rainy day swapped for a more ballsy appetite for debt funded risk. There's a lot to like about the enthusiasm, optimism and breath-of-fresh air communication, but it's the substance that counts and it will be interesting to see what the picture looks like as it becomes clearer over the next few months. I wish them all the best, because it's in all of our interests for them to be successful.
I too would like to welcome claretspice back to the forum. His insightful input has been missed generally.
I personally feel that no one has yet done a forensic analysis (was it a Richard Oldroyd who used to do this?). True to form claretspice is asking what I also feel are the key questions. For me the funding of this takeover has indeed NOT yet been fully evaluated and until it is I cant yet personally fully welcome it with open arms. Yes the initial signs are good in term of PR and openness but I wonder how this will play out in actuality. In theory SD seems to be a bit of a fan of US style business management speak/methods but I just have a sneaky feeling this Pace/SD relationship might not be a marriage made in heaven. As I say just a feeling and of course I hope I am wrong. Proof of pudding, walk the talk and all that. We will see.
UTC
This user liked this post: Winstonswhite

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:37 am

The Garlick /SD relationship had completely broken down so anything short of a marriage made in heaven has to be an improvement
These 3 users liked this post: Woody9229 Leisure k90bfc

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:01 pm
... With the debt presumably sitting on the club’s balance sheet (as a finance expert in an unrelated field I remain unsure how that can be allowed but that is by the by) I’d question how much exposure the owners themselves face in the event of relegation (a certainty at some point) and administration (far more likely given those debt repayments).
I'd say there is still going to be significant exposure. Investing in Burnley isn't such a sure-fire thing that you'll be able to debt finance it all, you'll still need a significant amount of equity funding and if administration happens they're going to lose that.

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 am

Whilst everything appears rosy on the surface may I ask "what about the small shareholders?".

We seem to be totally forgotton, approx 1700 of us who form 10% of the fan base.

The directors appear to have taken their cash and scarrpered, 2 having the gall to reappear on the board, and we are left high and dry.

Not a word, an e-mail, nada, non existant.

Communication is easy to say, but please start with your own shareholders.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:52 am

9thMay1987 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:50 am
Whilst everything appears rosy on the surface may I ask "what about the small shareholders?".

We seem to be totally forgotton, approx 1700 of us who form 10% of the fan base.

The directors appear to have taken their cash and scarrpered, 2 having the gall to reappear on the board, and we are left high and dry.

Have you contacted the club to ask ?

nig1954
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by nig1954 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 am

Improving the fan’s experience has many different meanings especially when uttered by an American in relation to the world of sports.
It can be leveraging technology through digital transformation to help fans find new and easier ways to connect with their teams and through the optimisation of social media.
These are veritable ideas but they also come at a financial cost. American businesses see the club and stadium as a cash building hub so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for this to manifest itself.
We’ve been very fortunate as fans because our previous BOD understood the local economy and tried to make supporting BFC an affordable experience for the majority of fans.
We may be getting access to greater funding but money doesn’t grow on trees. American franchises expect to generate cash flows so I suspect it won’t be too long before we begin to witness what this may mean for the average supporter. I just hope the transformation isn’t going to hit the financial pockets of supporters too hard and that fans are prepared to absorb the additional costs associated with turning BFC into a club that is able to financially compete with larger clubs to help protect its premier league status

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:17 am

superdimitri wrote:

Sod that, the last thing we need is another drone to harp the same cliches and soundbites out everytime they have a microphone put in their face. Its nice to see some authenticity for once.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am

9thMay1987 wrote:

Are you skint?

Tall Paul
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:33 am

9thMay1987 wrote:

What about them?

Nothing has changed, they still own their shares which still carry the same rights.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 am

9thMay1987 wrote:

When you say "we" are you including all small share holders ? If so just like to put on record I feel nothing like being left high and dry.

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 853 times
Has Liked: 604 times

Post by Gordaleman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am

Really good interview and he certainly says all the right things. It's clear he understands the natural fears that fans may have, having seen other foreign owners destroy some well known clubs. (One not far away in particular.)

He comes across as a guy you could really enjoy a few drinks with, except that he doesn't drink due to his Morman heritage. Sean apparently surprised him by asking him about that heritage and whether or not the no drinking policy applied to him as well. He was told "No."

The thing that stood out for me in the interview was that he isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet. He made it clear that he will be backing Sean in this January window and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see two or three new faces quite soon. I don't think we'll have to wait until the 1st of February either. Once Sean Sean says who he wants (Within reason.) I think Mr Pace will get on with it.

It's all looking good. Maybe we can have a 'Cup' run this year after all?

C'mon you PL Clarets.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:16 pm

superdimitri wrote:

How are United offering more than Chelsea and West Ham? A players price, is a players price. We set it not the purchasing club?

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 pm

It’s a well trotted line that the players value goes up when Man United are interested.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm

This thread has got me to thinking about what it is to be a supporter or a fan, as opposed to a consumer.

A few posters telling others to 'suck it up', 'stop whinging and accept the new owners will maximise revenue streams', 'something for nothing culture', 'we are a PL club - contribute'.

I pay for 3 STs (money left with club), Cup games, countless pies and programmes, at least 2 full kits a year, other merchandise, Clarets Player (until it switched over), and, more recently, mascot packages. Supporting a team is often a family affair, and my parents do the same but are also Foundation members and shareholders. I also contribute to the massive PL TV income we receive in the form of Sky Sports (20+ years), BT Sports (since lockdown), PPV inc PL and Carabao, and Amazon Prime subscriptions (2 years). I know from previous posts that at least one of those in the 'contribute' clan avoids UK TV subscriptions through streaming services.

I do not say all this to appear as 'superfan'. Quite the opposite, as I know there are thousands who contribute in the same or similar ways. That said, I also appreciate that I am fortunate enough to be able to afford all of the above.

So, what's the right way to go, assuming you want to maxmise revenue streams from supporters as opposed to consumers? I'm sure the new owners will be able to squeeze some of us a bit more but not by reducing our relationship with the Club to a transactional one. BA don't charge by the drink on their business class flights - something for nothing? Hardly! Even Burnley Tesco (visited by AP) understands the value of customer loyalty. Our relationship with the Club is a special one and needs to be nurtured, not exploited.

I welcome innovation from the new owners but if it consists of just sticking a price tag on everything, as some posters suggest, then the 'value' will soon be lost. Particularly, when the thing we were discussing was communication from the new CEO, which is essentially advertising.

It is one thing to be realistic about the finances of your team but it requires a little more imagination than was being offered by some. If supporting your team ultimately comes down to which fanbase has the deepest pockets then we may as well all pack up now.

Was it a big deal that the interview was first aired from behind a paywall? No, probably not in the grand scheme of things, but there is a wider point being made and I'm in no rush to squeeze Burnley fans in the interests of new owners during these challenging times. If the new owners are genuinely in it for the long term, and I've no reason to doubt that at the moment, then I doubt they see it that way anyway, despite what the 'consumers' say.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:50 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm
This thread has got me to thinking about what it is to be a supporter or a fan, as opposed to a consumer.

A few posters telling others to 'suck it up', 'stop whinging and accept the new owners will maximise revenue streams', 'something for nothing culture', 'we are a PL club - contribute'.

I think the point was that there's quite an overlap between those complaining that the club needs to make more signings, bigger wages, etc and those complaining that it's being too commercialised and fans are being squeezed.

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm

I pay for 3 STs (money left with club), Cup games, countless pies and programmes, at least 2 full kits a year, other merchandise, Clarets Player (until it switched over), and, more recently, mascot packages. Supporting a team is often a family affair, and my parents do the same but are also Foundation members and shareholders. I also contribute to the massive PL TV income we receive in the form of Sky Sports (20+ years), BT Sports (since lockdown), PPV inc PL and Carabao, and Amazon Prime subscriptions (2 years). I know from previous posts that at least one of those in the 'contribute' clan avoids UK TV subscriptions through streaming services.

Each of those is a service that you choose to consume, and many of them contribute more to other clubs than they do Burnley (TV Subs being the main one, with Burnley towards the bottom of the pay table).

As aggi said, there's a large cohort of fans who have stated that "We've got to invest more to progress", "We're going backwards", "The board have been negligent in allowing the squad to get to the state it is" - and now the club looks like it may have a board that wants to stretch the budget. But to stretch the budget for players and to pay the interest on the debt needed to support the takeover, they are going to have to generate further significant revenue.

Some believe that comes from improving the Burnley brand, and growing that. And hopefully that is true. Some may believe it comes from getting an academy to develop and sell players. And hopefully that is true. But the easiest way to generate further income is to stretch, directly, the revenue coming into the club from existing sources. So season ticket prices that have got cheaper in real value terms by probably 20-25% over the last 5 years due to frozen ticket prices, and from an already cheap base, is the first place to look. As is the content coming out of the club. As somebody said higher up, if it's enough for people to kick up a fuss because they don't get to see it live, then it looks like it might matter enough for somebody to pay for it.

As for fans or consumers - Consumers of Tescos don't tell them to go and add new staff, or to build a new extension on the store, or that they shouldn't accept promotions on junk food because it's against their morals.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 am

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:16 pm
How are United offering more than Chelsea and West Ham? A players price, is a players price. We set it not the purchasing club?
Immediately if you get one of the big spenders in for a player, you can ask more.
You can't ask more if its only one or two mediocre teams bidding.

Players prices are not static, how the hell otherwise did Leicester get so much for Maguire?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:17 am

ALK only put in 15m, 80m Loan used to buy us.
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 02656?s=19

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 am

IMG_20210108_112621.jpg
IMG_20210108_112621.jpg (421.85 KiB) Viewed 3864 times

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:47 am

The lack of critical thinking on that Twitter thread is symptomatic of the problems in the world today. You don’t have to take an all or nothing view.

It could be exciting, there are concerns..... you can air these without having to state you think it’s all lies or all dodgy.

The strong position which the Athletic journalist has taken on this should give some food for thought in where the balance line on this story is.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:46 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 am
Immediately if you get one of the big spenders in for a player, you can ask more.
You can't ask more if its only one or two mediocre teams bidding.

Players prices are not static, how the hell otherwise did Leicester get so much for Maguire?
A bidding war is different, an immediate need at a club is different.

The poster was suggesting you can add money to a price if it’s Manchester United vs a West Ham.

Liverpool are in need of a CB, therefore clubs will ask more. Klopp has been playing down the need of a CB in order to manage the price expectations.

Players also want to go to huge teams, player/agent power is increasingly important.

Sponsors only let certain players go to certain teams. CR7 and Messi have had this problem their whole career with the battles between Adidas and Nike.

One plays for Adidas and wears Nike, the other plays for Nike and wears Adidas. A stalemate or a balance in the market, depending on how you look at it.

The best tool you’ve got at a negotiating table is to walk away.