Alan Pace live now on clarets player

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Re: Alan Pace live now on clarets player

Post by jtv » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:44 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm
Lots of replies but nobody has mentioned anything about the interview.

It can't be that revealing?
He shops at Tesco :)

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm
Lots of replies but nobody has mentioned anything about the interview.

It can't be that revealing?
Did you skip the 5th post in this thread?

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:47 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:39 pm
thats all well and good if you have an account for Clarets+
It’s free to sign up. Just your name and email address is needed
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:51 pm

I only caught the first 25mins, before I had to leave for work.
He does come across very well.
It's early days so how we will fair we've yet to find out, but at 63 I think I can tell when someone is genuine, or someone is playing to the crowd. He sou ds like he's in it for the long haul, it doesn't guarantee success, but I don't think he will try to screw the club at all.

He did say, especially in the light of the current climate, that its important to talk to the fans, seek their opinions, and relay to them what the club is doing, BUT he also said that respect from both sides is important. Bearing in mind the usual abuse at transfer window time, I would suggest we all try and be patient, polite, and realistic. Otherwise the pleasant conference calls with Mr Pace could end quickly.
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure k90bfc The Enclosure tiger76

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm
Did you skip the 5th post in this thread?
No.

O.k I will re phrase it.

For everyone getting their knickers in a twist as they can't view it, I expected the thread would be full of revelations that made people want to view it.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 750 times
Has Liked: 1827 times

Post by morpheus2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Turd?

:D :D :D
Ya, a bit more polished.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Having read the summary it's pretty much what I would have expected. I didn't have access to the interview live but have no objection to this being behind a paywall....you find out everything important soon enough now anyway so can't understand the moaning.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:57 pm
This is the future. They will maximise revenue streams. There’s no point whinging about it. Either pay up
And watch, or don’t and don’t whinge.

It’s always surprising to me that the Athletic haven’t had a word with virtually every story they write copied and pasted on here for people to read free.

If you want better players, a better ground, better ticket office, removal of gambling ads..... then you’re going to have to pay your bit towards it. The money to deliver all of those has to come from somewhere.
While I agree in principal Dande, you are by definition preaching to the converted behind a paywall.... somewhat defeating the object. Pleased it is being put up for general release with a slight delay as it gives chance for potential feedback should clarification be needed before general release.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:08 pm

They’re was nothing worrying about anything he said, played down the loan to buy the club as you would expect, said he would back Dyche as you would expect, but didn’t promise millions in this window.

Going to let Dyche get on with his job in regards to that side of things.

Looking at working with the academy, looking abroad also potentially for players and commercial relationships with others clubs but didn’t do into details as it’s too early.

He likes the Burnley area - it’s beautiful but only been to the club and Tesco so far.

Comes across down to Earth and approachable - he likes to be open and transparent as possible and is keen to engage with supporters.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:15 pm

Just watched it all, he's impressive, says SD will have no reason to "be frustrated" in the transfer market, and they will back him. They want to link up with other clubs abroad for player development.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:16 pm

claretandy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:15 pm
Just watched it all, he's impressive, says SD will have no reason to "be frustrated" in the transfer market, and they will back him.
talk about how to set yourself for a fail

Burnley87
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:20 pm

It’s like saying you pay for a season ticket so your programme should be free because it gives you information about the club.

Wrong in the Head some fans especially CT when it comes to this point. Why shouldn’t they charge for content that costs money to create. It’s the same with the U23 the coverage is excellent

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:31 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:20 pm
It’s like saying you pay for a season ticket so your programme should be free because it gives you information about the club.

Wrong in the Head some fans especially CT when it comes to this point. Why shouldn’t they charge for content that costs money to create. It’s the same with the U23 the coverage is excellent
Not at all. This was a promotional message... Presumably aimed at potential as well as existing fans. You are cutting your audience and preaching only to you existing audience... and then only some of it by being behind a paywall. Though pleased they mitigated it by opening it out later.
This user liked this post: Duffer_

Burnley87
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm

But it’s on a free to air now so everyone can see it. So nobody is missing out. You just can’t see it live
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret NewClaret

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:42 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm
But it’s on a free to air now so everyone can see it. So nobody is missing out. You just can’t see it live
Which is why I finished with “ pleased they mitigated it”
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Edit: replied to wrong post.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:45 pm

Burnley87 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm
Exactly. Fuss about nothing.

I don't subscribe (yet, they could easily make me if they improved coverage), so I don't complain about having to wait a few hours to see the content

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:47 pm

I don’t have Clarets Player. What’s on it? Is it worth paying for? Should it be included In the season ticket price if you could watch live games ?

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Happy enough with that, sounds like they have a broad range of ideas for taking the club forward commercially.

Real shame for them that we've now gone into lockdown which limits their communication channels and will slow down the settling in process.

Actions will speak louder than words but optimistic after listening to him.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55551717 (about 15 mins ago)

Burnley takeover: New owner Alan Pace promises 'unique' approach

New Burnley owner Alan Pace says he intends to adopt a unique approach to running the Premier League club.

Pace's ALK Capital Investment Group has spent around £170m to take an 84% controlling stake in Burnley.

Unlike most of the Premier League's overseas owners, American Pace has moved to the UK from New York to take a hands-on role in running the Clarets.

"I don't think you have ever seen anyone like me," said the 53-year-old former Wall Street banker.

"You certainly haven't seen someone like me come in to run a football club and interact and live with the community where they are going to operate."

Given the measures imposed by the government to combat the coronavirus pandemic, Pace says the only places he actually knows around Burnley are Turf Moor and the local supermarket.

Pace, who is a former president of MLS club Real Salt Lake, will take over as Clarets chairman from Mike Garlick.

However, Garlick - who sold his near 50% stake in the club - and fellow former shareholder John Banaszkiewicz will remain at Turf Moor as directors.

"We do mean it when we say we are as concerned about the long-term viability of this club as if we were a family member," said Pace.

"We are not going to do stupid stuff. We may say silly things that people take issue with but we are going to act differently and we are going to show that in the things we do."

Acting differently in the short term means providing manager Sean Dyche with funds to strengthen his squad in the January window.

Pace says it is "important but not essential" Burnley preserve their top-flight status.

"You have one billion people interacting with you in the Premier League," he said.

"It is like an actor, you want to be on the main stage but it doesn't mean you cannot make an artsy movie somewhere."

However, given the uncertainty around 16th-place Burnley remaining in the Premier League and the heavy financial impact the pandemic continues to have on football in this country, it is no surprise Pace admits there have been plenty of occasions over the past few months when he considered abandoning the project.

"Yes, at multiple points we thought it wasn't going to be for us," said Pace, who tried and failed to complete a deal for Sheffield United prior to setting his sights on Burnley.

"When we went into lockdown last year we had to think long and hard about what it was going to look like. Project Restart really helped us to understand what was going to be possible."

If there is unease amongst Burnley fans, it comes through the funding of Pace's project.

Pace won't say exactly how much he has borrowed from Michael Dell's MSD UK Holdings but it is clearly a significant sum, which brings back uncomfortable memories of how the Glazer family funded their purchase of Manchester United, plunging the club into a huge amount of debt.

"I believe there is a way to be financially responsible that is sustainable," he said.

"The loans for this transaction are absolutely reasonable and in line with what can be supported by this club and will not take away from the club's ability to operate on a daily basis."

Of course, I should add....

Exciting times.

UTC

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:58 pm

mikeS wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:47 pm
I don’t have Clarets Player. What’s on it? Is it worth paying for? Should it be included In the season ticket price if you could watch live games ?
I don't know if it should be included in season tickets prices, I'd imagine tickets and clarets+ be two separate entities - with digital subscription fees will be split with the platform providers making if difficult to combine with a package. Though, I can understand why current season ticket holders might be miffed, they are still putting into the club with nothing in return, at the moment.

It's very good though, very professional with very good production quality. I think its about a fiver a month and I'd say its value for money, though I'm not a subscriber myself.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 pm

the Telegraph with their take on today's press conference

Sean Dyche has a job for life at Burnley if he likes, says new chairman Alan Pace
MIKE MCGRATH JANUARY 05, 2021

Sean Dyche will be offered a job for life at Burnley when contract talks open next month, new chairman Alan Pace has said.

Pace, who has headed ALK Capital’s takeover at Turf Moor, says Dyche will be backed in the January transfer window before attention is turned to his own future, with one full season left on his £3.5 million-a-year deal.

“It’s up to Sean whether he feels that way but I want to be as clear as possible – Sean is so important to the success of this club and what we are trying to do,” said Pace.

“I would love him to be here for as long as he wants to stay. That’s his decision, his choice. There will come a time when we do have to address his contract but that will be driven by him as much as by us. The urgent matter is the window right now.”

Pace took control last week and has moved to the area, spending his time at the stadium or Tesco. “They are the only places I can go,” he says. Eventually he will split his time between London, New York and Burnley.

He was drawn to football during his post-graduate studies in Barcelona, where he was playing semi-professional American Football and going to the Nou Camp with his team-mates.

The latest American chairman in the Premier League is also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which was jokingly raised by Dyche, who has a pub named after him next to Turf Moor. “He knew of my religion and how we feel about drinking – we don’t drink alcohol – and he asked if that applied to him,” Pace said.

“Sean is one of the things that led us to want to do this,” he added. “Longevity and consistency and the good fortune of having someone who is a strong and capable leader like he is, is a blessing for us. It’s not just being a magician, that’s not it, a magician does it once in a while. There’s consistency here that we really, really like.”

Pace expects activity in the transfer market this month, with a right-winger being a priority for Dyche. The new chairman, however, could not promise young prospects like Dwight McNeil being kept away from the clutches of bigger teams.

“That’s a tough one because I’m not so sure anyone can resist the pressures of large-market clubs that can spend much more freely than others and the realities of the world we live in take effect,” he said. “If someone comes along and offers you X times what you’re getting paid, that’s a tough one to resist. I don’t think we’re ever going to get away from that.”

Pace, meanwhile, says the Premier League is strong enough to resist a European Super League.

“I can see why that would turn heads and that will never change, the grass is always greener for some people,” he said. “That is for those clubs. I think it’s a shame because you put the same effort into making the Premier League that same level, I think you can see revenue growth. I like the Champions League format. I loved watching Barcelona v Real Madrid but that shouldn’t be the everyday game. The everyday game is right here at home.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as I said the man is opening himself up for failing in the eyes of fans - some very niave statements

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:58 pm
I don't know if it should be included in season tickets prices, I'd imagine tickets and clarets+ be two separate entities - with digital subscription fees will be split with the platform providers making if difficult to combine with a package. Though, I can understand why current season ticket holders might be miffed, they are still putting into the club with nothing in return, at the moment.

It's very good though, very professional with very good production quality. I think its about a fiver a month and I'd say its value for money, though I'm not a subscriber myself.
You should have to pay for the live stuff, everything else should be free at a later time.

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:01 pm

As someone has already said, you can sign up for an account and get some content free, that is how I have just listened to Alan Pace.

It's available to listen to now for free.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 pm

curious as to how they regard the football/betting issue as mormons.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 pm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as I said the man is opening himself up for failing in the eyes of fans - some very niave statements
Which ones?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:33 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm
While I agree in principal Dande, you are by definition preaching to the converted behind a paywall.... somewhat defeating the object. Pleased it is being put up for general release with a slight delay as it gives chance for potential feedback should clarification be needed before general release.
They’re probably trying to get more to chip into the collection bowl in the sermon.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:35 pm

Leisure wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 pm
Which ones?
SD will have no reason to "be frustrated" in the transfer market and the job for Life - even Sean has repeatedly said that is a bad idea because at some point people want you gone.

both will sound great to many now but are unlikely to stand the test of time it is also clear that the club is an asset that is to be "sweated" a lot more

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:37 pm

mikeS wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:47 pm
Should a media channel that most premier league clubs charge for, be included in the price of some
Of the cheapest season tickets in the premier league? Is that really the question?

I suspect that some people really are in for a chunky shock in the coming years.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm

It’s amazing what some folk will moan about.
These 5 users liked this post: k90bfc FactualFrank The Enclosure tiger76 Taffy on the wing

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

for such a great poster you are being a serious doom merchant today :lol: :D ;)

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm

The Mail with a report on today's Ppress conference

'I don't expect Sean to be frustrated': New Burnley chairman Alan Pace says he will 'be supportive' of Dyche's transfer demands and hints at January signings for the relegation battlers
Alan Pace has spoken positively about transfers after taking over at Burnley
The new chief says he does not expect Sean Dyche to be left 'frustrated'
Dyche has previously expressed frustration at a lacking of backing in the market
Pace says the manager is looking at a number of target and will be 'supported'
By ELEANOR CROOKS PRESS ASSOCIATION SPORT

PUBLISHED: 19:05, 5 January 2021 | UPDATED: 19:05, 5 January 2021

New Burnley chairman Alan Pace has had a meeting with manager Sean Dyche and has promised to back him in the transfer window.

Dyche made no secret of his frustration at a failure to invest in players under the previous regime, leading to speculation about his future at the club.

Pace cited Dyche's eight-year stay at the helm as a significant factor in ALK's interest in acquiring Burnley along with the community nature of the club and the opportunity for growth.

'I thought it went well,' said the businessman of his meeting with Dyche. 'I've been looking forward to it for quite some time.

'We're very, very big fans. We like consistency, we like longevity and we see what an amazing manager he is and leader.

'He does have some things he's looking at (in the transfer window), we're supportive of what he's looking at.

'I don't expect Sean to be frustrated. I hope that he will be pleased with the way we can support him and interact with him and that will be our efforts on a constant basis.'

Pace does not want to make rash promises but clearly has ambitions for Burnley beyond a yearly fight against relegation and plans to grow the club's reach internationally.

He said: 'There's things here we think to reach beyond where we are today.

'I can't give you a timeframe - who would have thought we were going to go into another lockdown if we were six months ago - so the hard part is not knowing what's next for us in the short-term.

'But I can tell you, if we're fortunate enough to still be here in 20 years, the ambitions of this club will be very different.'

Pace splits his time between homes in New York and London but reckons he will spend 80 per cent of it in the north west from now on, although so far coronavirus restrictions have limited his experience of Burnley to 'Turf Moor and Tesco'.

He said: 'I'm very hands on. I'm not going to be the guy that's going to rewire the WiFi - although I'll make sure it gets fixed, because I can't stand it - but it'll be very hands on because it's very different.

'I've already experienced a few things that need to change, and you don't do that unless you're living in it every day. But that's not to take away from those that are doing the significant job that they've been doing and will continue to do.'

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm
for such a great poster you are being a serious doom merchant today :lol: :D ;)
It is not doom it is balancing off against the very happy people on here - think SD - never too up after a win, never too down after a loss - just keeping my eye on what is happening and what is coming, hoping for the best and being prepared for the worst

claretlegend
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by claretlegend » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Great interview. Said all the right things without over promising. He speaks well and offered some good considered answers. He seems to understand what we're about and doesnt want to rip up trees and cause a commotion. We have a great base and I think his business acumen can help us progress as a club.

We should make sure we welcome Mr Pace; after all, he's committed to us by moving his family over to live in the area which is a huge personal step. Not everyone will agree with everything he says or does all the time but let's make sure he's given time and respect. We all need to be pulling in the same direction. He seems a very positive step for the club and after sharing many people's caution to foreign owners I genuinely feel we could have a good guy in our hands. UTC!
These 6 users liked this post: bodge k90bfc dpinsussex The Enclosure tiger76 Frenchclaret

quoonbeatz
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:50 pm

Having sat through the whole 37 mins, I have to say I think we've ended up with the right people investing in the club. The obvious caveat to that is it's very very early days but what I've seen and heard so far has been nothing but positive.

Pacey seems to understand what the club is about and I think it's important he'll be living so close to the town. Pleased he's not made any daft promises or naive statements and it sounds very much like it will be more evolution than revolution, which is absolutely the right way for us to continue, building the club slowly over time. He seems a sound guy. Also knows that you can be relegated from the premier league.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm
It’s amazing what some folk will moan about.
:lol:

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 pm

it is here on youtube in a minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbICQT2Vzpc

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:20 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Also knows that you can be relegated from the premier league.
Ha ha!
Was it just urban myth that the Venkys thought otherwise?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:35 pm
both will sound great to many now but are unlikely to stand the test of time it is also clear that the club is an asset that is to be "sweated" a lot more
In which specific part of the interview did he state the club were an asset to be sweated, or implied that? (I listened to it all on Clarets Player and must have missed that bit.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:22 pm
In which specific part of the interview did he state the club were an asset to be sweated, or implied that? (I listened to it all on Clarets Player and must have missed that bit.
I thought the whole thing was riddled with it - not necessarily a totally bad thing either - given all the additional spending commitments talked about, that money is most definitely not coming out of a benefactor's pocket.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
the Telegraph with their take on today's press conference

Sean Dyche has a job for life at Burnley if he likes, says new chairman Alan Pace
MIKE MCGRATH JANUARY 05, 2021

Sean Dyche will be offered a job for life at Burnley when contract talks open next month, new chairman Alan Pace has said.

Pace, who has headed ALK Capital’s takeover at Turf Moor, says Dyche will be backed in the January transfer window before attention is turned to his own future, with one full season left on his £3.5 million-a-year deal.

“It’s up to Sean whether he feels that way but I want to be as clear as possible – Sean is so important to the success of this club and what we are trying to do,” said Pace.

“I would love him to be here for as long as he wants to stay. That’s his decision, his choice. There will come a time when we do have to address his contract but that will be driven by him as much as by us. The urgent matter is the window right now.”

Pace took control last week and has moved to the area, spending his time at the stadium or Tesco. “They are the only places I can go,” he says. Eventually he will split his time between London, New York and Burnley.

He was drawn to football during his post-graduate studies in Barcelona, where he was playing semi-professional American Football and going to the Nou Camp with his team-mates.

The latest American chairman in the Premier League is also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which was jokingly raised by Dyche, who has a pub named after him next to Turf Moor. “He knew of my religion and how we feel about drinking – we don’t drink alcohol – and he asked if that applied to him,” Pace said.

“Sean is one of the things that led us to want to do this,” he added. “Longevity and consistency and the good fortune of having someone who is a strong and capable leader like he is, is a blessing for us. It’s not just being a magician, that’s not it, a magician does it once in a while. There’s consistency here that we really, really like.”

Pace expects activity in the transfer market this month, with a right-winger being a priority for Dyche. The new chairman, however, could not promise young prospects like Dwight McNeil being kept away from the clutches of bigger teams.

“That’s a tough one because I’m not so sure anyone can resist the pressures of large-market clubs that can spend much more freely than others and the realities of the world we live in take effect,” he said. “If someone comes along and offers you X times what you’re getting paid, that’s a tough one to resist. I don’t think we’re ever going to get away from that.”

Pace, meanwhile, says the Premier League is strong enough to resist a European Super League.

“I can see why that would turn heads and that will never change, the grass is always greener for some people,” he said. “That is for those clubs. I think it’s a shame because you put the same effort into making the Premier League that same level, I think you can see revenue growth. I like the Champions League format. I loved watching Barcelona v Real Madrid but that shouldn’t be the everyday game. The everyday game is right here at home.”

Ambition shouldn’t be confused with naivety

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:51 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 pm
it is here on youtube in a minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbICQT2Vzpc
I like him.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:55 pm

barba wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:49 pm
I agree with most that his first press conference should have been free and hopefully this will be an area that is addressed for future major announcements.

There is the option for a 30 day trial for those who want to watch and then cancel.
Absolutely. All his first press conferences in the future should be free.

;)
This user liked this post: barba

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Well done Alan Pace. Enjoyed that.

First time in a good while I can remember someone from the board taking part in any form of Q&A that was widely accessible and wasn’t an in-house production.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Considering AP has stated he does use social media and read fan forums, I am amazed at the over reaction , and even more so from some of those i thought more of on this thread, Get a grip, and give your heads a wobble.

lewishamclaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by lewishamclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Listened to the whole thing. Comes across as genuine, knowledgable and thoughtful, with potentially loads to offer. So I’m feeling very positive. At no point did he say the manager has a “job for life”; he merely reiterated his belief in Sean’s leadership qualities, consistency and achievements, and that the issue of whether he’d stay beyond his current contract was largely up to him. That’s subtly different.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Don't get much chance to post on here these days for various reasons, but i've followed the takeover discussions with interest and just listened to that press conference.

The basic pitch of that Q&A was broadly in line with what I've heard from people I'd trust. The first impression of the front man is good - he seems to get the ethos of the club and the area and he talks a humble game. That makes me a lot less wary than I'd otherwise be of this takeover, but I'm still cautious about the overall proposition, and I still think there are some significant questions unanswered (inevitably, at this stage) - three in particular.

Firstly, the answers given to date on the debt funding of the acquisition haven't really got to the heart of the matter, and they've not played down the extent to which this is being fuelled by borrowed money, or given any real indication of how much equity is being invested. At some point, it would be nice to get more clarity on that.

Particularly if we are servicing debt interest off the Premier League profits, it will be fascinating to understand exactly what the magic ingredient is that is going to unlock revenues to pay the interest whilst also investing in the team and facilities. I know Pace has made a great play of the fact he's going to live locally (which is great), but as a point of difference from other consortiums at other clubs who haven't been particularly successful, it's thin - it's hard to see the level of growth required being generated within the local area (I'm assuming they're pinning their hopes on overseas markets).

Finally - I'd still like to know how they plan on funding the club in the event of relegation. It's an ever present possibility for a club like Burnley and if we aren't talking transformative investment in the playing squad, then they must have a plan for how to cope with it. Particularly if we're paying loan interest etc, carrying debt etc. it becomes harder to see how the club stays afloat without gambling hard on a quick return, or an extreme fire sale.

In some respects, it feels like continuity Burnley but with the cautious emphasis on saving for a rainy day swapped for a more ballsy appetite for debt funded risk. There's a lot to like about the enthusiasm, optimism and breath-of-fresh air communication, but it's the substance that counts and it will be interesting to see what the picture looks like as it becomes clearer over the next few months. I wish them all the best, because it's in all of our interests for them to be successful.
These 4 users liked this post: scouseclaret THEWELLERNUT70 fatboy47 Belgianclaret

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm

He came across very well. A businessman though so time will tell.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 pm

As I said elsewhere, this was the most interesting part for me:

"The loans for this transaction are absolutely reasonable and in line with what can be supported by this club and will not take away from the club's ability to operate on a daily basis."

I think it's the first admission that the debt from the purchase, and associated costs, will be put onto the club.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 pm

Sounds very positive to me.

I’m not sure how anyone can expect the investment loan not to be supported by the club. This is the same as most of the takeovers that have happened in the Premier League.

The one thing for sure is Dyche was going to more than likely be on his way if the club continued to operate in its current way. The new setup gives us a chance of keeping him and progressing. We would have been going backwards as soon as Dyche left, probably quickly too.

You sometimes have to take risks to move forward and the issue with BFC in the premier league is that we recently haven’t been moving as quickly as the league is (particularly our competitors). I like all the noises so far and am quietly confident tbh