2.5 yrs after signing for Brighton.... Tau could play

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

2.5 yrs after signing for Brighton.... Tau could play

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm

https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/w ... ell/692171

2.5 years after signing for Brighton, Percy Tau may finally qualify for a work permit thanks to his loan spells in Belgium :shock:

Just imagine if he turns out to be garbage over here :lol:

Good to know they carried out all the due diligence on work permits before signing him originally

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: 2.5 yrs after signing for Brighton.... Tau could play

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:23 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm
https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/w ... ell/692171

2.5 years after signing for Brighton, Percy Tau may finally qualify for a work permit thanks to his loan spells in Belgium :shock:

Just imagine if he turns out to be garbage over here :lol:

Good to know they carried out all the due diligence on work permits before signing him originally
That is why Tony Bloom owns a club in Belgium - specifically for this kind of approach to developing players - also why Pace has mentioned it for us

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Man U used to do that with Royal Antwerp - Leicester do it too with a Belgian club, the one they put Pearson in to manage. All makes perfect sense to me and I think it is a matter of time before we do it.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:28 pm

He only qualifies to work here thanks to Brexit though, wasn't going to happen otherwise.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm
Man U used to do that with Royal Antwerp - Leicester do it too with a Belgian club, the one they put Pearson in to manage. All makes perfect sense to me and I think it is a matter of time before we do it.
Based on the current work permit guidelines it's only really worth doing it with a team in one of the top leagues (so not the Belgian league) or a top team (so playing in Europe) in one of the smaller leagues. Things are very different now on this front.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2333 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:05 pm

As i understood it, the Belgian rules only took a couple of years to gain Belgian nationality and therefore becoming an 'EU Citizen'. As we have now exited the EU, him gaining EU Citizenship won't matter anymore and thus can't be used as a loophole to escape work permit rules. Isee that as a good thing but thats a different matter. How the new rules are done with work permits i have no idea but if it makes it harder for bang average players to play here and it gives home grown talent a clearer pathway then that can only be a good thing.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:06 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm
Based on the current work permit guidelines it's only really worth doing it with a team in one of the top leagues (so not the Belgian league) or a top team (so playing in Europe) in one of the smaller leagues. Things are very different now on this front.
Belgium is useful on 2 levels - it is a recognised development ground (even in the new regs, the status of the national team helps) Belgium is also a league where it is much easier to bring in players from the regions in Africa that were colonial outposts for them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm
It was easier to get work permits in Belgium so Man U would place a foreign (non-EU player) in at Antwerp until he reached the level where he would qualify for a work permit here. I'm not sure how that would change but I don't know what the WP rules are now in the two countries. I don't believe it is Belgium that we are looking at, I was told a non-EU country.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 pm
It was easier to get work permits in Belgium so Man U would place a foreign (non-EU player) in at Antwerp until he reached the level where he would qualify for a work permit here. I'm not sure how that would change but I don't know what the WP rules are now in the two countries. I don't believe it is Belgium that we are looking at, I was told a non-EU country.
Norway would make a lot of sense

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Yes, that used to be the case. Now a WP in Belgium makes no difference in terms of a WP in the UK. Belgium is a second tier league so the player would also need to be an international, playing in the Champions/UEFA cup or in a team that wins the league to get the extra points to get a UK permit.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:31 pm
Yes, that used to be the case. Now a WP in Belgium makes no difference in terms of a WP in the UK. Belgium is a second tier league so the player would also need to be an international, playing in the Champions/UEFA cup or in a team that wins the league to get the extra points to get a UK permit.
I didn't know they'd changed WP rules for non-Europeans, but obviously have.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
is this what you were referring to - from SportsProMedia

Burnley eye MLS club partnership following ALK takeover
New chairman Alan Pace was previously CEO of Real Salt Lake.

Posted: January 6 2021By: PA
PA Images

Alan Pace, the new chairman of English top-flight soccer outfit Burnley, has said a partnership with an American club could be on the cards in the future.

Pace (pictured above, centre) is the managing partner of the Delaware-based ALK Capital investment group, which completed its takeover of the Premier League club on New Year’s Eve.

Burnley acquired by US investment firm ALK in UK£200m deal
Pace discussed his vision for the Clarets during a lengthy online press conference on 5th January, and boosting the club’s profile internationally is one of his targets.

The idea of partnering with another club had already been raised and, asked if that could be a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise, Pace said: “Yes, it’s crossed our minds.

“There’s probably some opportunities, especially in America, for Burnley that I can see that would be really great going forward. I’d like to see that.”

Pace was formerly chief executive of MLS outfit Real Salt Lake and ALK were close to taking over Sheffield United in 2019.

The 53-year-old, who has homes in London and New York, expects to spend 80 per cent of his time in Lancashire and has held his first meeting with manager Sean Dyche.

It was put to Pace that takeovers at other north-west clubs like Blackburn Rovers, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool have all turned sour.

He said in response: “I don’t think you’ve ever seen anyone like me and you certainly haven’t seen someone like me come in to run a football club and interact with the community and live in the community.”

Pace continued: “We actually do honestly mean it when we say we are concerned about the long-term viability of this club, just as if we were a family member.

“So we’re not going to do stupid stuff. We may say silly things that people take umbrage with but we think we’re going to act differently and we’re going to certainly show that in everything we do.”
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm

P.Tau

Didn’t he sing China in Your Hand?
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2333 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:25 pm
is this what you were referring to - from SportsProMedia

New chairman Alan Pace was previously CEO of Real Salt Lake.

Posted: January 6 2021By: PA
PA Images

Alan Pace, the new chairman of English top-flight soccer outfit Burnley, has said a partnership with an American club could be on the cards in the future.

Pace (pictured above, centre) is the managing partner of the Delaware-based ALK Capital investment group, which completed its takeover of the Premier League club on New Year’s Eve.

Burnley acquired by US investment firm ALK in UK£200m deal
Pace discussed his vision for the Clarets during a lengthy online press conference on 5th January, and boosting the club’s profile internationally is one of his targets.

The idea of partnering with another club had already been raised and, asked if that could be a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise, Pace said: “Yes, it’s crossed our minds.

“There’s probably some opportunities, especially in America, for Burnley that I can see that would be really great going forward. I’d like to see that.”

Pace was formerly chief executive of MLS outfit Real Salt Lake and ALK were close to taking over Sheffield United in 2019.

The 53-year-old, who has homes in London and New York, expects to spend 80 per cent of his time in Lancashire and has held his first meeting with manager Sean Dyche.

It was put to Pace that takeovers at other north-west clubs like Blackburn Rovers, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool have all turned sour.

He said in response: “I don’t think you’ve ever seen anyone like me and you certainly haven’t seen someone like me come in to run a football club and interact with the community and live in the community.”

Pace continued: “We actually do honestly mean it when we say we are concerned about the long-term viability of this club, just as if we were a family member.

“So we’re not going to do stupid stuff. We may say silly things that people take umbrage with but we think we’re going to act differently and we’re going to certainly show that in everything we do.”

Las Vegas should get an mls franchise and it could be the Las Vegas Clarets

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm
Las Vegas should get an mls franchise and it could be the Las Vegas Clarets
Vegas (having recently acqured NHL and NFL franchises) are rumoured to be a new NBA franchise (if the NBA decide to create 2 more to cover the losses from Covid ($2.5 billion a pop) with Seattle to be the other

it should be remembered that from an ALK perspective a new MLS Franchises currently start at $300m a pop (that is the entry fee, you still need the infrastructure and squad etc) - so we were very cheap to them.

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:54 pm

makes sense to buy player who have the potential if using stats as a marker for the future business plan: buying low, selling high, which can allow the owners/manager to assess competency and development in lower and different international leagues. Of course if you go this plan it needs to be complemented with the plan around first team development and staying relevant in the PL, so while it is a cost effective model, it takes away funds for the main event, unless of course you have enough funds to do both simultaneously.

I expect to see this activity and am interested to see how it develops/works over time. Along with several other initiatives alluded to to increase revenue and name recognition globally.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm
Vegas (having recently acqured NHL and NFL franchises) are rumoured to be a new NBA franchise (if the NBA decide to create 2 more to cover the losses from Covid ($2.5 billion a pop) with Seattle to be the other

it should be remembered that from an ALK perspective a new MLS Franchises currently start at $300m a pop (that is the entry fee, you still need the infrastructure and squad etc) - so we were very cheap to them.
Las Vegas Lights FC! Terminally terrible in the USL. Sponsored by both a Marijuana Dispensary and William Hill. Not sure our new patrons would approve of that :)